HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:34:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 10, 2019  (Read 5255 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 11, 2019, 09:06:56 PM »

Going try and catch up on mostly current issues instead of just rolling last week's leftovers into this week.  Might make this easier to get through during the holiday preparations.

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels 3
New Mutants 3
X-Force 3
Lois Lane 6
Batman 84
Detective 1017
Deathstroke 50
Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 6
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: The Amazing Nightcrawler 4
Age of X-Man: Prisoner X 4
Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 4
War of the Realms 5
War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men 2
Dead Man Logan 8
Mr & Mrs X 11
Uncanny X-Men 19
X-Force (2018) 8
X-Men: Grand Design - X-Tinction 1

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:47:37 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels 3
New Mutants 3
X-Force 3

Lois Lane 6
Batman 84
Detective 1017
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5

Marvel Unlimited

War of the Realms 5
Dead Man Logan 8
Mr & Mrs X 11
Uncanny X-Men 19
X-Force (2018) 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fallen Angels 3 - I'm starting to see what Perry said about the way this artist makes faces.  They aren't consistent from page to page.  It's a little annoying.  I still like the story though and this issue moves us forward just fine.

New Mutants 3 - Good to see some old friends who haven't made it to the island yet.  Plus Armour and Glob team up!  I like this delve into the younger generation of mutants.

X-Force 3 - First arc done and X-Force is reborn with a familiar mission but sanctioned by those who wouldn't have liked it in the past.  Good first arc and makes the next move interesting.

Age of X-Man: The Amazing Nightcrawler 4 - Ah ha!  Plot twist I didn't see coming!  This has been a fun story.  Nightcrawler is getting closer to the truth and turns out someone unexpected has been leading him there the whole time.

Age of X-Man: Prisoner X 4 - I knew this was going to play the biggest part of this Age of X-Man crossover.  The inmates are running the asylum and the big battle starts now!

Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 4 - A focus on the gay characters of the X-Men as the false memories start to unravel.  A little too "talky" but progresses the story appropriately.  Next issue is the big finale.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »

Excalibur #1 (reprint) and #3
Superman #18
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »

Coming in without segue  Grin I have decided, now that I am limited  Cry, to get only two X-Books. The "main" Hickman X-Men title and the one which I think will be the most enjoyable for me going forward, The New Mutants. All the rest can wait until I reinstall my MU (this time going yearly). That said I am also trying to wait on reading the last issues until the next issues of said titles hit. Though I may not be able to make it. Delaying the reading of X-Men #3 has been pretty rough for me
 Cheesy

In the meantime, as I have done so well with Freedom Fighters recently, I will now attempt to catch up on Doomsday Clock as it seems the next and last issue will hit this Wednesday. I hope to get through them all before Christmas.

Why I posted all that here I have no idea, but there it is
 Cheesy

Onto this weeks reads, so far -

Excalibur #2 - Just not doing it for me
Fantastic Four #17 - Why, dear lord Kirby, do I put myself through this month after month?  Undecided
Savage Sword of Conan #12 - A nice ending to a title that didn't need to happen.Especially not in the size that it was presented in at least. This should've been around the DC Black Label size, especially if it was only going to be 12 issues. And lets be honest, of course it was only going to be 12 issues. As much hootin' and tootin' that was going around about Conan coming back to Marvel, it is still Conan. I love the guy but even I know the demand is not close to his glory days. I'm actually surprised they let this title go to 12 honestly

Freedom Fighters #5
Freedom Fighters #6
Freedom Fighters #7
Freedom Fighters #8
Freedom Fighters #9
Freedom Fighters #10
Freedom Fighters #11
- Fun series. I've got fond memories of this team. Didn't see Black Condor doing that, for sure  Smiley
Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans - WOW. Holy hell this was a dark F'n book  Shocked I know, I know, what did I expect? It says "Dark" right in the title, but daaaamn, still!! Much more enjoyable than the Batman one, so now going to check out the other ... three? ... or four?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 06:03:19 PM »

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans - WOW. Holy hell this was a dark F'n book  Shocked I know, I know, what did I expect? It says "Dark" right in the title, but daaaamn, still!! Much more enjoyable than the Batman one, so now going to check out the other ... three? ... or four?

Oh! I meant to get this one!  I’ll have to add it to my list!

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »

Made a second trip and got:
Flash #84
Hawkman #19
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 04:02:11 AM »

Oh! I have to get to the store and buy the end of doomsday clock and death stroke yet!

Also I read infinity 3 thru 6 and Coda. That seemed an utter waste of time.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »

The Hickman Infinity? That one ... THAT Infinity? You didn't enjoy it?

EDIT - Just realized you may have been talking about the latest Duggan Infinity crap ... I mean Infinity stuff.  Cheesy

Yeah, sorry. Of course it didn't really bug me until the last 6 to ... 14 issues of that arc. Between Countdown and War and plain ole Infinity and whatever else in-between and after ... man that got old quick. Was going to be just a regular Guardians run of issues (which would have still not been great) but someone had the brilliant idea that it was good enough for its own 20 some issue "mini"
 Roll Eyes

EDIT (again  Wink) - Just to add a couple issues that have hit the eyeballs -

Doomsday Clock #1
Doomsday Clock #2
- It is so weird reading this now, after watching the first season of HBO's great ... no ... epic Watchmen series, but trying to keep in mind that this is more DC/Superman related than Watchmen proper related and I find it pretty damn enjoyable. I can't wait to see the discussion on all the hidden stuff inside the panels. Or I hope there is hidden stuff  Cheesy

Excalibur #2
Fantastic Four #17
Savage Sword of Conan #12

Freedom Fighters #5
Freedom Fighters #6
Freedom Fighters #7
Freedom Fighters #8
Freedom Fighters #9
Freedom Fighters #10
Freedom Fighters #11

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:51:32 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

See? It was such junk, I don't even remember the correct Infinity tag to the stories. Cool Yeah, the Duggan stuff, and all that nonsense was to match the comic stone colors to the movies. Pfft. Whatever. And no, I didn't read a single warped character story tie-in, as that held no interest to me.

I show have 84 books left in my 'library' online...but I stopped adding the series I was regularly reading (as Unlimited allows me to add the next issue to my library as I reach the end of the current issue I'm reading)....so....

...so I figured I'm actually about 130 books behind.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 03:06:26 PM »

...so I figured I'm actually about 130 books behind.

So ... to translate ... that equates to what ... about 5 Bendis issues?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Related, I was thinking about your reading style, how you described it to us the other day and even how you switched the narration speed on KotW to go faster and I thought about that, days later, and thought (although I realize there are other factors involved, of course) there is no wonder Bendis is not a writer you enjoy. You are a get it done kinda reader and Bendis is anything but that.

And when I mean "get it done kinda reader", just to avoid the possibility of a Key & Peele moment  Grin I don't mean that in that you don't enjoy the slow nuances that must happen in a good read, but merely that, given the choice, you like to read faster than not.

That alone is just a Bendis killer. Not to mention the other attributes in his writing that can get on your nerves  Grin

EDIT - Just saw this in the new Marvel Previews for May 2020 and I am super stoked for this!!!

STRANGE ACADEMY #1

(W) Skottie Young (A/CA) Humberto Ramos

STRANGE ACADEMY will center on Emily Bright (a girl who discovered magical powers since birth), Doyle Dormammu (the illegitimate son of the Dark Dimension’s ruler), and their new classmates as mysteries begin to unfold not just for the students at the school, but for the entire Marvel Universe. With a new cast rooted in Marvel’s history and fan-favorite characters, this series will be the perfect introduction for both fans just diving into comics and for fans who have been following Marvel for years.

Set in the mystical backdrop of New Orleans, The Big Easy will play a pivotal role in STRANGE ACADEMY with its rich local culture, folklore, and innate magic of the French Quarter, the Bayou, the Swamps, and more. To capture the essence of STRANGE ACADEMY, Young and Ramos conducted their research firsthand.

YES!!!

Although I know that Ramos' art can be hit and miss (or totally miss) for some here ... I am truly excited for this
 Smiley

And Marvel, THIS is how you introduce us to new characters. You don't just have them take over for other heroes and expect us to fawn over them. Give us some time to get to know them and actually want to see more of them.
 Tongue
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 03:14:22 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »

EDIT - Just saw this in the new Marvel Previews for May 2020 and I am super stoked for this!!!

Lol.  And I had the opposite reaction as I rolled my eyes.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »

Lol.  And I had the opposite reaction as I rolled my eyes.   Cheesy

What?!?! Really?  Cheesy
Not a fan of the teaching aspect? Or because it is Stephen? Or because the art? Or  ... yeah, what is it? Just curious.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 08:30:25 PM »

You had it right at the beginning - the teaching aspect.  I got burned out on that in Aaron's X-Men.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »

Oh, I wouldn’t make any bones about it; I’m a fast reader, and I really do a lot to interpret what the writer is doing. I mean, when we read, I kind of assume we, in our minds, ‘mouth’ the words going on-not that our brain says the actual words we read. (ye god, I hope this maybe makes some sense!) So, many/most times I feel I can just skip through, or fly through what’s being said.

Like, all the ‘ he said; he replied; he cried; he yelled; he retorted; he started; he growled’ etc; that shit I just skip reading. I mean, I know what’s being written, I know all the events, but no, I don’t read every word.

Except Ray Bradbury. His writing DEMANDS every word be read in detail. And it’s stunning work too! Like Eames here; a good story, a fun story, a story with power and influence on the reader, but man, all of Clay’s inner monologues that ended with ‘he thought’? My eyes would have become quickly trained to pass them by!

But yes, a fast reader. And LOL, you brought up Bendis, and I think I can still recall the Ultimate Spider-man that made me quit him and call him a hack. It was USM (original series) issue 9, page 11, or issue 11, page 9 (or maybe wrong entirely, I can look on Unlimited tonight). It was a full page, 9 panel back and forth “conversation” (using that term loosely) of Peter and MJ talking. It was ‘yeah?’

‘Yeah.’

‘You sure.’

‘Maybe, yeah, I guess.’

‘Yeah?’

‘Yeah’

And it was repeated copied panels of Bagley art; such hack shit!! Bendis just writes such junk so often. Priest? I pay attention to every word Priest puts down on a page; he crafts a story, illuminates with dialogue that weaves a tale.

Dammit Perry, you got me going on Bendis. You just egged me on! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 11:10:43 PM »

I should get the MU stuff done tonight but clearly, I'll roll over the rest of the ComiXology stuff.  Clearly next weeks list will need to be really short.

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels 3
New Mutants 3
X-Force 3

Lois Lane 6
Batman 84
Detective 1017
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5

Marvel Unlimited

War of the Realms 5
Dead Man Logan 8
Mr & Mrs X 11
Uncanny X-Men 19

X-Force (2018) 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

War of the Realms 5 - This has been a decent story but I skipped all (well the majority) of the crossovers so I felt a little disjointed at times.  But  Should be a good finish on the next (?) issue.

War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men 2 - Not a bad story but not a must read either.

Dead Man Logan 8 - This is a good story.  I love the problems trying to keep a preteen Hulk in line just like I try to keep my own kid in line.  Just not gonna always happen.   Cheesy

Mr & Mrs X 11 - This is the first or a 2 parter and I'm assuming that's the end of the series.  This goes back to the Guilds so is Gambit centric...at first.  Fun little story and should wrap up the series nicely.

Uncanny X-Men 19 - Nice explanation as to why no one remembers Emma.  Looks like she has been a bit of a puppet master!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS