HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:06:44 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kings of the Wyld  (Read 16818 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »

1 - What are your top three favorite characters from the book?
Clay Cooper, Matrick, & Jane
1 - What are your top three favorite characters from the book?
Clay Cooper, Gabriel, Moog

Love how we read (or listen to in this case  Cheesy) the same, exact thing yet we all find a different connection or comfort level  or fondness for or whatever that makes us glom onto different characters. That is so darn cool to me.

Mine has to be Clay (is that odd or way too normal that we all found the "lead" to be first on our list?), Moog and Matrick

2 - Who was the character you cared least for/about?
Ganelon
2 - Who was the character you cared least for/about?
Larkspur

I also go with Ganelon. Not enough depth built for the character. I'm fine with him not being ... talkative, but still, meh

3 - What was your favorite moment?
When Clay's daughter asked him if he'd come for her - solidifying that he'd have to go now.  Cheesy
3 - What was your favorite moment?
The last chapter involving the ettin after Clay finds them. Just wow...Also, the (unknown) history of the Lastleaf, his family, and that relation to the world's religion.

Jimmy and I have talked about the Ettin before and that was such an impactful moment for me that I have to also go that route

4 - What was your least favorite moment?
Can't really think of one.
4 - What was your least favorite moment?
Clay's quick out from the life changing fall.

Clay getting his damn hand back by having it "grown". I hated him getting it back period, but that way? BAH!!!!

5 - Out of 100, what would you grade the book? (including the narrator as part of it, I mean it is an audio book  Smiley)
I guess I'd give it a 100.  It's a fun book and the narrator only makes it better.
5 - Out of 100, what would you grade the book? (including the narrator as part of it, I mean it is an audio book  Smiley)
Maybe I'm picky, I'd put it at...78. Still means I liked it! But making up a number on the spot, I could probably pick 22 other fantasy books I'd read before this one. but I still liked it!!

Hahaha, 22 other fantasy books that are better? With the volume you have read I can easily see it.  Smiley That is also why I go to you for all my fantasy questions. You are most likely to know  Grin I know you have read a crap-ton so you are the man I first think of when I have any kind of question about the genre  Smiley Cool
But, and don't take this wrong  Grin and maybe I'm wrong here but are you "grading" your enjoyment of this book or "ranking" it? I'm honestly fine if you didn't like it and if you gave it a 40 I would not take umbrage, although I would question why  Wink, but did you grade it as a 78 solely because, off hand, you counted about 22 books that you would "rank higher"?  Wink I mean you basically graded this book a high "D". If that is how you feel that is cool, but I thought you liked it a tad better than a "D", even a high one, but maybe not?
 Cool Smiley
 But hey, if you grade this a 78 because you think it is a 78 out of 100 that is also fine and I apologize for the presumption, it was just the alignment of the numbers 22 and 78 that made me question the ranking vs grading thing.
 Smiley
We cool!!!
 Smiley

I would say this grades out to be about an 88 for me. A solid first effort and I had it higher but the last third of the book had some problems for me. Especially that hand part
 Grin 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »

Actually, a 78 is a high “C” but your point is still valid.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »

Actually, a 78 is a high “C” but your point is still valid.

High "C"? WHAT!?!?!?! What school is this? That is crazy

Is that a Texas thing?
KIDDING
 Cheesy

EDIT - Holy cow!! I just looked and that is the new scale?

Crap, I kinda wish I went to school now!!

EDIT 2 - Well, it is the scale to convert a GPA, not sure if it is the standard scale for test scores in my state or not. Need to check now
 Cheesy

EDIT 3 - And the reason kids are ... well ... look, when I was in school a 69 was an "F". You failed if you got less than 70% of a test wrong. And honestly, while I hated that at the time, I am happy for it. Today, according to these two school sites I went to, a 69 is now a D+. A FREAKING D PLUS?Huh A child has to score a 64 for an "F" now. Sure, that is only a 5/6 point differential, but that is huge. It really cheapens the education requirements and that my fine fellows is bullshit!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:06:19 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »

That’s interesting Perry.  It was A, B, C, D, F in my day here.  Not sure why your state was different but I would support that scale.  We tell Hannah she has to make no less than an 85 anyway.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »

Well now, if you want to use the 100 point scale as a grade point average from even the years I was back in school, then my rating changes to 88; a solid B, B+ on its own!

Now, when typing out what I did, I didn't do a list of 22 better books. If anything, I'm probably closer to Perry's 88, where I may actually be closer to 84, just to quibble.Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2019, 10:41:34 PM »

Grin

Yeah, an 84 is a good score.

And Jeff, that is crazy that there was so much difference in scoring during essentially the same time frame. I even asked the wife who also went to school here at the same time as I and even the same school at one point, though we didn't know each other it seems  Cheesy and yeppers, she concurred that 69 and below was an "F" (later changed to an "E" as it made more sense to everyone).
 Grin
And yes, I agree with your 85 as a benchmark  Cool Smiley (lowest number for a "B" here locally ... well in my day anyway)  Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS