HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:53:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kings of the Wyld  (Read 16815 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »

Oh not at all!

I haven't looked at the map because it wouldn't have helped me not having the 'feel'of the book yet. And apparently I do rather poor with names if I can't read them myself. I usually always feel I need to see it first.

It's funny, but reading so much with Wheel of Time, then getting together with friends to talk about it; we didn't know how to say the names!  Comprehending the names are far different than saying them out loud.

I'm pretty sure we 'agreed'her name was Dan-riss before the GOT show came out and they said Da-nare-iss.  Cheesy Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »

Oh I know how that goes!!  Smiley

I am 100% off on most of my guesses for how names are pronounced. There was one, recently, though I can't remember what it was or from now, but I remember telling the wife I had that all kinds of wrong.

But then again my past pretty much dictates that my life would end up that way as when I was a very young Marvel fan and I would pronounce Sub-Mariner wrong. I would say it like in the ship (submarine - er) or like a branch of government  (Army, Air Force, Navy and the Sub-MARINEr)
 Grin

And of course "MagnEEto" was pronounced like magnets, Magnet-o ... though I still say I am right on that one
 Grin Grin Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »

Perry , chapter 45 &46
Clay's unwillingness to kill the Deva drove me crazy too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »

Ummm.  Errrrr.  Chapter 9.   Embarrassed

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 08:21:52 PM »

I've been REAL slow at work. I may finish it tonight on the drive home, or right before bed!

I also increased the reading speed to 1.25

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 04:21:56 AM »

Finished it! Will make long post tomorrow

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »

Perry , chapter 45 &46

As for your spoiler above ... yeah, I get that, but that isn't really what got me.  Smiley Though I do understand  Smiley

Ummm.  Errrrr.  Chapter 9.   Embarrassed

Okay, that's good, buddy. How ya liking it so far? You still have a little further to go before ... well ... if you make it a few more chapters ... well ... anyway, again, how's it hittin' for ya?

And don't feel bad if it isn't your thing  Smiley

I finished a few days ago and here are the couple things that got to me ... that I didn't really care for.

1 - The one thing I thought Jimmy would be with me on, as far as not really liking, was the fact that one guy was able to get that ... "thing" (in-case others are reading this ... spoiler free spoiler  Cheesy) from the dragon. I have never heard of a dragon not knowing/smelling/sensing/hearing ... whatever ... someone in their lair. t didn't ruin the story for me, nothing did that (although my number 3 issue came close Grin), but I found it too easy.

2 - Speaking of easy ... all the struggles our band went through and yet the ... sparrows Huh (crap, I forgot the leaders name as well as her all female group of thieves), but anyway, this group of ladies was able to go through the Heartwyld and reach Castia so easily? Well before our heroes did? I know our band Saga was sidetracked a little, but it just seemed that group made it through far too fast and far too easy.

3 - Okay, the main issue I had with the book was ... our boy Slowhand Cooper getting his hand back. Ugh. NO!!!

Anyway, all in all I still grade the book highly, and feel the audio version made it even more fun.

Now I await Jimmy's thoughts so I can reply
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »

Out of curiosity, does anyone else enjoy here audio books are am I a dying breed?
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »

I won't lie, I'm not an audio book guy. I will do them easily enough, but I can read faster than every narrator and like the experience of reading itself. But they are great in the car.

Into the whole book
I quite liked the book! Writing and energy just seemed to be in a really good place through the last chapters, as it all kept barreling along, running towards the end.

*side note, Perry, Jane and the Silk Arrows were at the mercenary festival. They came through the portal with every other merc group to Castia. You may have just missed that. They didn't traverse the Wyld at all.

I'll call it an odd, but fun!, kind of book. So much was superfluous or irreverent to the point of nearly being silly, but totally within the realm of being a good fantasy book due to it. Then, other moments were really just good and hit home so very well in the writing.

For me, the ettin's death was the best moment, and best writing of the entire book. This happened just after the group had learned that their gods and religion were all poorly learned lessons or happenstances from the alien Druin. For Clay, was there really a god or another life at all? It was all bullshit, right?

But the ettin's death, with the shared memory of Dane's 'sleeping' dream, was beautiful, and sad, and heart wrenching. Sure, maybe it could simply be neurons in the dead head's eyes still reacting without a reflex to the light, but the interpretion of the dream as this beautiful place to be, with peace and feelings of happiness, was so poignant to me, that I really treasured that chapter above all else. For Dane to spend his life to make his brother's life one of happiness, joy, and just out of sight wonders, was an immeasurable gift, that he may even have continued to do so during death...what a solemn, tragic, and amazing moment. Seriously, I just felt moved.

I feel sad that Mattrick just seemed to fade away in the background towards the end of the book. Like, there were times I wondered when the last time was that I heard his voice. Just something I noticed. Also, hella weird to send this fat, out of shape, but starting to lean out, out of practice thief into the dragon's lair alone. Huh? That's the plan? Based on who he was 19 years ago? That really stretched the story strength to me there.

I totally misread, or totally misinterpreted the presentation of Gabe from the beginning of the book, down to who he used to be, and who he currently was. I had the feeling he was more Lando, when he was actually Luke Skywalker. I missed the mark on that.

I'm pissed at Clay's hand-like, I was mad at the author for 'doing that' to Clay. How dare he? I was mad. Giving the hand back 2 chapters later just felt a bit cheap, definitely a 'steal' in the moments of drama in this book. I'm mad at Clay for not finishing her off in that moment. In that moment, she was truly a monster, and meant only harm and hurt for everyone. She had a chance already to be redeemed, and she lived it as a lie to hurt everyone. Him staying his hand I felt was almost out of character. There's not a lot of Clay throughout the book where he believes in the 'good in all people.' I mean, sure, it could mean more of a story point that he simply made a mistake. Still burns me. Her helping in the end does NOT negate the fact that in the moment, she was the enemy, and Clay foolishly held back.

Moog really grew to be a solid character for me at the end. Got rather rounded out.

Ganellon seemed to almost really get above the hump of just being the strong killer guy, but with his limited desire to talk most times..(even with his big drama moments), I still feel that the character could have been abit more then he was.

There were times where I liked the similies, and other times where I thought 'oh even already with the similies! Describe it in some other manner! lol

Good book. I look forward to reading Bloody Rose-which seems to be rated even better than Kings of the Wyld. But first, first..!..! Lightbringer book 5!!!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 09:18:58 PM »

Out of curiosity, does anyone else enjoy here audio books are am I a dying breed?
 Grin

I like them.  What I really like is combining them with a book on the kindle app (Whispersync).  I'll read along as the narrator reads to me while having a cigar on the back porch, then just read on my own in bed so as not to wake the wife, then pick up where I left off in the car via just the audio.  Lot's of options.

Just doing audio with this one, obviously, but I'm at the end of chapter 20.  It's a really good book so far.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »

I like them.  What I really like is combining them with a book on the kindle app (Whispersync).  I'll read along as the narrator reads to me while having a cigar on the back porch, then just read on my own in bed so as not to wake the wife, then pick up where I left off in the car via just the audio.  Lot's of options.

Yeah, that's a cool idea!!

Just doing audio with this one, obviously, but I'm at the end of chapter 20.  It's a really good book so far.

Oh you blasted up to that chapter pretty fast.

Now, after I reply to some of Jimmy's comments ... which I hope you will come back later for, instead of looking now  Smiley, I will be off to listen to where you are in the book ...
 Cheesy Grin

I won't lie, I'm not an audio book guy. I will do them easily enough, but I can read faster than every narrator and like the experience of reading itself. But they are great in the car.

I almost HAVE to listen to books now. I can't, no matter how high the interest, stay awake when I start reading novels. I think the amount of drugs I have to take on a daily basis and the fact I get about 2 hours at a time hinders my ability to stay awake.
In-fact that sleep issue is also what helped me transition to digital comics. I would try to read an issue in bed before crashing and would always fall asleep, damaging the comic in some manner. Now I just bust my face open when the tablet falls from my hands.
 Grin
Another reason hardbacks are never allowed in my bedroom  Cheesy

Yeah, if it were not for audio I would get very little book reading in at all.
 Undecided
But like you said, that car is a great space for "reading"

*side note, Perry, Jane and the Silk Arrows were at the mercenary festival. They came through the portal with every other merc group to Castia. You may have just missed that. They didn't traverse the Wyld at all.

YES!!! Hahaha, thanks I couldn't remember the name and I sure did think she arrived a different way for some reason. That makes things a little easier for me to swallow. Man, the things that can be missed!!!
 Undecided

Thanks again, that does ease the old noggin'
 Cheesy

I'll call it an odd, but fun!, kind of book. So much was superfluous or irreverent to the point of nearly being silly, but totally within the realm of being a good fantasy book due to it.

I liken it to a Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) style of writing that I needed after the dense "read" that was the Wheel of Time's first book. It was a much appreciated palate cleanser. I can enjoy the more .... collegiate Grin high fantasy books, but I can't go back to back with them. Just too damn stuffy for me ... even though I enjoy them. If ya understand
 Cheesy
Especially as I listen to my books, those "high-brow" fantasy books are like being in a lecture hall and as much as I am a fan of the occasional Ted Talk, sometimes I just want to listen to a guy tell a story, not try and remember 1,000 names for people and places. Especially when they all seem to have 2 or 3 different names themselves
 Grin Cheesy
My old brain can only handle so much. This book, semi-large cast, but not bad at all and only about seven locations/areas that I needed to try and remember
 Smiley

For me, the ettin's death was the best moment, and best writing of the entire book.

AMEN!!! Fantastic part. Felt so ... man ... those feels!!! Cry Cry

This happened just after the group had learned that their gods and religion were all poorly learned lessons or happenstances from the alien Druin.

Absolutely loved that. And also liked that I did not see that coming at all. Great use of .... well, trying to go spoiler tag free on my responses, so yeah, great all around.
 Grin

I totally misread, or totally misinterpreted the presentation of Gabe from the beginning of the book, down to who he used to be, and who he currently was. I had the feeling he was more Lando, when he was actually Luke Skywalker. I missed the mark on that.

Same for me, although I was slightly spoiled when I read a piece the author had up on his website. It wasn't a "spoiler" but in a way, yeah it was. But you are correct on your analogy. I also thought it was going to be ... a slow handed sort
 Grin

Moog really grew to be a solid character for me at the end. Got rather rounded out.

Best character in the book for me.
Well, best member of Saga anyway.
 Wink

Good book. I look forward to reading Bloody Rose-which seems to be rated even better than Kings of the Wyld. But first, first..!..! Lightbringer book 5!!!!!!

I have seen the reviews for the audio version of Bloody Rose and they are not overly kind. I have it, but going to take a break from that world and get back to the main goal. I only read KotW to take a break so it is time to head back to Fal Dara. I just started The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time book #2) where I was introduced to "the man who calls himself Bors"
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »

Oh man, I can’t imagine listening to the Wheel of Time in audiobook format. There’s so much ...more to it! As I sit here and ruminate on audiobooks, its become a fantastic thing to ponder. Such as; when you yourself actively read, you record your information through your eyes, and it processes things for your brain to interpret through all the past stimulations you’ve had (ie, you learned to read as a child).

Yet, when listening, your body interprets things in yet another different manner. It’s a much different stimulus to react to.

So when you...listen to what was written...it’s almost harder! Like, I couldnt say I would have put the same accents to the characters that the narrator does (which, I would assume, comes with direction-I hope!-from the writer). There’s also how a person, looking at myself, constructs the page into my visual thoughts. What do I imagine when I’m told/read the story? How does that change due to having to listen to someone else’s telling of the story?

How does the story change for the reader once someone else reads it? Its just fascinating thinking for me today.

That said, Perry, I totally get why audio books is the way to go for you. Jeff, whatever app you’re talking about sounds FANTASTIC. I could get through so many more books that way!! I could blow through 35 years of Michael Moorcock! Read all of Tad Williams! What a combo of tech!!!

That said, I am LOVING reading my Lightbringer series. If ever either of you would ever want to try it, you would never read as interesting, conniving, and well planned a character as Andross Guile. I know it’s one writer telling a flowing story through several voices, but when he writes, you truly believe that all the verbal and nonverbal sparring in these conversations comes from different people, due to the manipulation of these conversations. It’s such a great series!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »

Jimmy, I understand what you are saying about reading, for you, but that doesn't mean it works that way for all. I enjoy reading, always have, but reading does little to hand me information. I am more of a learn by doing first, learn by showing second, learn by audio next and then the written word.

So for you, the words stimulate your brain but for me, while it does the same, it does it in a totally different and often (not always mind) less enjoyable manner.

I use to love the old Marvel 45s ... so I could read with the book that came with the record. Kinda what Jeff does now, but in a much more simple way  Grin

I do get what you mean, and I am sure that it true for 99% of the globe, but by-and-large for me, yeah, listening is the way to go. But that is also why I suck ass at spelling, writing and keeping a check book? Okay, that last one isn't true. Yes I suck at it, but not because I prefer audio books
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 07:29:39 PM »

I hope i didn't sound insulting or anything. I'm having a hard time picking up vibes today all over. I just like to muse about how everyone does bring something different away from reading and listening. Like how a poor narrator can ruin a book (was that the negative review about the Rose book, Perry?).

So, no insult or slight intended here! Cool Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »

In other news.....I'm in the middle of chapter 30!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS