HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:55:21 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 27, 2019  (Read 2605 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 27, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »

Turkey Day is coming!  Hopefully having 2 days off from work will give me plenty of reading time.

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels 2
New Mutants 2
X-Force 2
Action Comics 1017
Detective Comics 1016
Justice League Dark 17
Black Hammer/Justice League 5
Freedom Fighters 11
Martian Manhunter 10
The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage 1
Beserker Unbound 4
The Boys Vol. 5: Herogasm (Collects THE BOYS: HEROGASM mini series issues 1-6)
Putona TBP (Collects Plutona 1-5)
Bloodshot 2
Killers 4
Romulo 1

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: The Amazing Nightcrawler 4
Doctor Strange 14
Marvel Comics Presents 5
Mr. and Mrs. X 11
Star Wars: Age Of Rebellion - Jabba the Hutt 1
Star Wars: Tie Fighter 1
Star Wars: Tie Fighter 2
Venom 14
War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men 2
X-Force 8

========================================

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 06:36:53 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels 2
New Mutants 2
X-Force 2

Action Comics 1017
Detective Comics 1016
Justice League Dark 17
Freedom Fighters 11
Martian Manhunter 10
Beserker Unbound 4
Bloodshot 2
Killers 4
Romulo 1

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 14
Marvel Comics Presents 5
Mr. and Mrs. X 11
Venom 14
X-Force 8

Fallen Angels 2 - Not as good as the first issue but moves the story along well enough.

New Mutants 2 - Not Hickmans best but still building the story. Potential is still here.

X-Force 2 - Interesting story progression.  Haven’t totally bought in yet but the premise is somewhat interesting.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »

Fallen Angels 2 - Not as good as the first issue but moves the story along well enough.

It did move along, but yeah, didn't grab me as much as the first issue. Plus, man, this art is just killing this book. Same stuff he always does. Making faces look utterly ridiculous, using dark shadows to hide most of the art, showing only part of the face (a mouth, an eye, wtc ...) to hide his obvious artistic flaws in that area and the use of reoccurring panels, which were less this issue admittedly, just kills me. On for one more issue, but I'm dropping this if it doesn't wow me in story next issue. Heck, if I do stop paying for this I may not even read it for 'free' on MU when it hits ... when I sign back up that is.
 Grin
Finally going for the yearly MU sub this next time!

New Mutants 2 - Not Hickmans best but still building the story. Potential is still here.

Uh-Oh, haven't read this yet, but this is one X-book that I enjoy for the art alone. Plus trusting Hickman, which is easy enough, to, like you, easily see the potential is there.

I've spent most of my reading time this week reading Lemire and Walta's Sentient. Jeff, I know you went back and read a lot of Lemire a month or so back, did you get to this one? A six issue mini (collected, sadly, for the same price on Comixology) by the creative team of Vision? I saw it and had to get it. It was a pretty good story. If you have not read it, and you end up getting it, try not to read about it first  Grin The spoiler in the description kinda made me mad when I got to it (it happens early) as I didn't get the impact I would have. Ya know, spoiled  Grin If you have read it ... what did ya think? Or link me to your original post as I obviously forgot it
 Cheesy Cheesy

Fallen Angel #2 - Ugh this art. Story didn't pull me further in like I had hoped either  Undecided

Sentient - A good sci-fi story that I was in the mood for when I didn't know I was in that mood  Smiley
Rai #1 - A nice opening or more precise a nice continuation of the Fallen World story.
Ice Cream Man #16 - I know Jeff was thinking about bailing from this, and I get why, but Jeff, if you do or did get this, maybe you can help explain to me what the deal was here? The ending just seemed like a standard story ending, unless I missed something.
This is the entire story, generally speaking, so major spoiler here
A single father begins to read his high school daughters diary and each reading over time shows here getting more dangerous. It starts when he sees she is thinking about having sex with this one guy she likes, later she writes about wanting to screw a lot of people and then later still she thinks about killing someone. And she does. But the dad jumps in after she kills the guy (and right before the cops arrive), and takes the blame for the murder. The ending shows her in college now and a note from him talking about he is getting ready to be executed and that she should live her life.
That was the gist and while yeah, it is a tragic type story, not unusual for this title, it didn't have the usual creepy, supernatural or edgy vibe that most of the issues have. I am left wondering if it was just a straight forward story about a father taking the blame (yes, it is more involved than that, but ya know ...) or if I really missed something.
No, I am not saying you should get this issue, but if you did, help a brotha out?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 07:38:39 PM »

Sentient: I’ve added a lot of old Lemire stuff to my library but somehow missed this one.  I’ve added it to my wish list!

Ice Cream Man 16 - haven’t bought this yet.  Waiting for the price drop on it in December.  I’ll try to remember to come back and read your spoiler after I get to it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 06:13:58 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels 2
New Mutants 2
X-Force 2

Action Comics 1017
Detective Comics 1016
Justice League Dark 17

Freedom Fighters 11
Martian Manhunter 10
Beserker Unbound 4
Bloodshot 2
Killers 4
Romulo 1

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 14
Marvel Comics Presents 5
Mr. and Mrs. X 11
Venom 14
X-Force 8

Don't know why I thought I'd be able to read over the holidays.  Had something going on every day.  I'm betting a lot of these things will roll over....

Action Comics 1017 - Feels like this book is moving too slow.  Bendis is too busy.   Undecided

Detective Comics 1016 - Good ending to this Mrs Freeze arc.  I'm expecting a follow up arc sooner rather than later.

Justice League Dark 17 - Still a fun book.  Love the Injustice League as villains!

Black Hammer/Justice League 5 - Well, it's done.  That's all I can really say.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

May be done for the week so posting this now, although there is a chance I read one more tonight. And yes, like Jeff mentioned, the turkey day stuff is to blame for taking most of my time  Grin And I had it easy!!

Invisible Woman #5 - Sure, nothing ground breaking here in this five issue mini but ya know what, I enjoyed the hell out of this. As I have said all along, it was nice having an FF related book that I could at least enjoy.
Oh, and I just heard that Elizabeth Banks has been green lit to star and direct an Invisible Woman movie!!!! I love it but how are they going to do that without first showing how the four got ... oh wait ... a different Invisible Woman? Not Sue Storm? Crap.
 Grin

Justice League Dark #17 - Ok, changed my mind. I stated last month that I was tired of the whole use and reuse of Hecate, but yeah, this issue won me over. Was going to drop this and wait, but not now! This remains on my monthly DC list.

The Question: The Many Deaths of Vic Sage #1 - An okay start. Seemed like it was written in a very 80's style and that was both fun and a little disheartening as I am not sure if it was done on purpose or not. I hope so, but we will see. I am intrigued by the ending at the very least. I do also hope the price drops next month even if its less pages (and I thought this was originally a weekly comic?)

Fallen Angel #2

Sentient
Rai #1
Ice Cream Man #16

EDIT - Speaking of price ... I see the new Wolverine #1 is priced at fucking $8.
All I can say is I have two letters for you, Marvel. The first is "F" and the second is "U"
No chance I am buying that.
(Although admittedly it does help that Percy is writing it. Makes it easier for me to say no ... but I would have said no anyway at that price regardless who was writing it. Unless it was Ellis, Hickman or Vaughn of course.)
 Grin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:46:54 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 12:01:23 AM »

Yeah I'm not going to get to anything else tonight either.  I'm just going to call it and move all these to tomorrow's list.   Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS