HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:56:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 6, 2019  (Read 5991 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 06, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »

Happy Comic Book Day!

Had to roll over the things I didn't get to last week. I'm going out of town this weekend with friends so I'm not sure if I'll get through all of these or not.  But I'll give it the old college try.

ComiXolgy
The Island of Dr. Moreau 1
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3
The Boys Vol. 3: Good for the Soul (Collects issues 15-22)

Legion of Super-Heroes 1
New Mutants 1
X-Force 1
Black Hammer/Justice League 4
Deathstroke #49
Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 5
East of West 43
Ice Cream Man 15
Inferior Five 3
Locke & Key: Dog Days
Lois Lane 5
Redneck 24

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Prisoner X 3
Dead Man Logan 7
Uncanny X-Men 17
War of the Realms 3
War of the Realms Strikeforce: The Dark Elf Realm 1

========================================

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:02:24 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 02:58:42 AM »

Slow start but it is the first day.   Smiley

ComiXolgy
Die 8

Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Legion of Super-Heroes 1
New Mutants 1
X-Force 1
Deathstroke #49
East of West 43
Ice Cream Man 15
Inferior Five 3
Lois Lane 5
Redneck 24

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 7
Uncanny X-Men 17
War of the Realms 3

The Island of Dr. Moreau 1 - This was enjoyable.  I never read the novel so I wasn't influenced by the gender change of the protagonist.  Hard to believe this is only two issues as it seems we've only just scratched the surface.

Die 8 - Focus on Grief Knight and his origins in this world was interesting. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »

ComiXolgy
Die 8

Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Legion of Super-Heroes 1
New Mutants 1
X-Force 1
Deathstroke #49
East of West 43
Ice Cream Man 15
Inferior Five 3
Lois Lane 5
Redneck 24

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 7
Uncanny X-Men 17
War of the Realms 3

Birthright 40 - With the "end" of this arc we have entered the beginning of the end of the story.  The big war is about to start.

Berserker Unbound 3 - I really like this book.  The connection between Beserker and the homeless man is well written.

Legion of Super-Heroes 1 - Well, it's different.  Moved pretty fast, actually, so I can't say I love or hate it yet.  Need a couple of more issues to see where it's going.  It might be ok learning the histories of these characaters as they are definatly not my Legion.  But I might be able to enjoy this as totally new characters.  It's the setup issue and very talky in an annoying kind of way.  Typical Bendis.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 11:44:53 PM »

Berserker Unbound 3 - I really like this book.  The connection between Beserker and the homeless man is well written.

Issue four finished the mini off pretty well. Glad the last two, or even three issues were able to separate itself from Savage Avengers.

Legion of Super-Heroes 1 - Well, it's different.  Moved pretty fast, actually, so I can't say I love or hate it yet.  Need a couple of more issues to see where it's going.  It might be ok learning the histories of these characaters as they are definatly not my Legion.  But I might be able to enjoy this as totally new characters.  It's the setup issue and very talky in an annoying kind of way.  Typical Bendis.   Cheesy

It was almost written like Avengers: Disassembled. Lots of stuff happening in a whirlwind issue that left me feeling a tad bit overwhelmed. In Avengers it worked because of the chaos, but here, in an info dump, yeah, I want a much slower introduction to this NEW Legion. Just wish it would slow down and not be so fast. I don't need to feel like SUperboy to be into this Legion. Jon should be feeling like he is getting a lot of information, we need it a little slower.

Plus, everything was so small, in order to make things so big. I mean the characters and text just seemed smaller so they could expand and use all the panel space to show the scale of the world, areas, whatever. Didn't work for me.

I kinda like the automated info tags behind the characters, kinda. I still miss the roll call style on the side of the page or the little character info dumps masquerading as caption boxes, but this isn't a bad way to make room. Better than making the text boxes so small. They need to fix that.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »

Issue four finished the mini off pretty well. Glad the last two, or even three issues were able to separate itself from Savage Avengers.

Since I didn't read Savage Avengers it probably read better for me.  All seemed new.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:19:11 PM »

It was almost written like Avengers: Disassembled. Lots of stuff happening in a whirlwind issue that left me feeling a tad bit overwhelmed. In Avengers it worked because of the chaos, but here, in an info dump, yeah, I want a much slower introduction to this NEW Legion. Just wish it would slow down and not be so fast. I don't need to feel like SUperboy to be into this Legion. Jon should be feeling like he is getting a lot of information, we need it a little slower.

Plus, everything was so small, in order to make things so big. I mean the characters and text just seemed smaller so they could expand and use all the panel space to show the scale of the world, areas, whatever. Didn't work for me.

I kinda like the automated info tags behind the characters, kinda. I still miss the roll call style on the side of the page or the little character info dumps masquerading as caption boxes, but this isn't a bad way to make room. Better than making the text boxes so small. They need to fix that.

If I can successfully separate this from the "real" Legion I might be able to enjoy it but I agree with you that he needs to slow down.  I'll need some real character development.

I do think it's interesting that...
There seems to be some flirtation between Saturn Girl and Superboy.  At first I was frowning but as I separate it from the real Legion I'm finding I might actually like this pairing, if that's where it's going.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:41:56 PM »

ComiXolgy
Die 8

Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Legion of Super-Heroes 1
New Mutants 1
X-Force 1

Deathstroke #49
East of West 43
Ice Cream Man 15
Inferior Five 3
Lois Lane 5
Redneck 24

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 7
Uncanny X-Men 17
War of the Realms 3

New Mutants 1 - I like the start of this.  Sending them into outer space helps separate the team from everything else going on in Krakoa.  I was starting to wonder if all these titles would seem redundant but this one will be different.  It still has time to go south but for now I'm on board.

X-Force 1 - This one I had to think on and process before forming an opinion.  And at the end of the day I'm going to say I like it.  The "cliff hanger" ending made me roll my eyes only because anyone who has been reading these reboots is going to say - so what.  We all know death is meaningless now.  But other than that I'm good with this one.

Overall X-Men complaint:  So almost everyone of these titles has a Wolverine appearance.  That's ok except each of these writers are writing him differently.  His, and for that matter all of the characters, should have a consistent characterization across all books.  For example, the Xavier in X-Force matches up with the Xavier from House of X and Powers of X.  He acts the same and talks the same.  It felt like Wolverine was different in every book.  Maybe I'm more critical since he has always been my favorite character.   Undecided    Anyone else notice this?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:43:36 AM »

ComiXolgy
Die 8

Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Legion of Super-Heroes 1
New Mutants 1
X-Force 1

Deathstroke #49

East of West 43
Ice Cream Man 15
Inferior Five 3
Lois Lane 5
Redneck 24

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 7
Uncanny X-Men 17
War of the Realms 3

Black Hammer/Justice League 4 - Getting closer to the end.  This particular issue was one of the better ones but I'm soured on the whole story.  Ready to see how it ends.

Deathstroke #49 - Awesome issue!  One of the best of the series IMO.  Next issue is the series finale and I see it being a big one!

Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 5 - Good stand alone story.  Strong characterization in this one and a nice homage to the Grant Morrison days and one character in particular.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »

I do think it's interesting that...
There seems to be some flirtation between Saturn Girl and Superboy.  At first I was frowning but as I separate it from the real Legion I'm finding I might actually like this pairing, if that's where it's going.

Yeah, I can see that being a decent story. Even though it will feel weird at first
 Grin

Overall X-Men complaint:  So almost everyone of these titles has a Wolverine appearance.  That's ok except each of these writers are writing him differently ... Maybe I'm more critical since he has always been my favorite character.   Undecided    Anyone else notice this?

I haven't read those last two yet, as I was waiting on your thoughts first  Smiley so I can't say I have noticed it too badly yet, although it did seem Wolverine was a little too happy, go-lucky in Marauders, compared to the Hickman mini's set days before, when he was waiting and then getting his beer from Kitty, but that one was reasonable I guess as they were still in celebration. Of course now I am trying to remember him in Excalibur and I just can't ... dang it!
So yeah, my opinion is void.
 Grin

EDIT - forgot to add Scott Snyder and co-writer Charles Soule's new book -

Undiscovered Country #1 - I thought it was ... okay. To be honest, the back-matter (in which Snyder discusses how he and Soule began their friendship years ago and how deep it is now) has me a little more excited than the first issue did in itself  Grin but it honestly shows promise. The first thing I think older readers will compare it to is Kamandi meets Freedom Fighters meets Escape From New York and hey, that is why I am still gonna read it Cheesy
Issue one was very wordy, lots to get through and I may have to re-read it, to get a better grasp on the names of the characters, so I suppose the value is there. at least.
 Cheesy
The only thing I would wish would be that artist Camincolli (from Amazing(?) Spider-Man a few years back) get his inker from that title on this title. This inker leaves his stuff a little too ... I can't describe it. Just off a tad. Whether that is his fault or "Cammo's" true style I have no idea, but his stuff did look cleaner and better in that Spider-Man title.

Berserker Unbound #4

Legion of Superheroes #1
Batman #81
Batman #82
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:08:39 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »

Actually doing well this week overall, for me at least.  Grin Having less options for my eyes because I no longer have the entire wall at my disposal may be the thing that helps me get on track for what I actually want to read ... stop be from getting bogged down by having so many options Cheesy

I'm still going to try the odd find every now and then and I am sure I will still be handed stuff to try once in awhile when I swing in to either shop, but yeah, going back to purchasing as my main source of reading and exposure does limit my distractions
 Smiley
Odd to quote such a person but yeah, "its a good thing"  Cheesy

EDIT - Locke & Key: Dog Days #1 - Forgot about this one. Still need to finish the preview though
Terry Moore's Five Years #4
Terry Moore's Five Years #5
- Man, this hurts to say. I love the guy. I do. I think he is an amazing cartoonist/artist and I love that he is out there pushing out his own stuff all by himself (essentially) but ... This title, combining all of his past creations is just not doing it for me. Man, that sucks to say. I enjoy all of these characters and the emotion factor is still there; the love, the anger, the action and danger still hits me, but it has not the same punch that I had grown so used to.
Now that I am budgeted, I ... I may have to drop this book  Angry
If I find it is ending soon (I have no idea if there is a set number of issues announced yet) then I may jump back on. I will gladly shell out for a couple more books. But if this is an open ended title, just riding until the sales reach a certain level, I can't support it. 3 more issues, sure, I will stay (or come back), but anymore than that ...
 Cry

Joker Killer Smile #1 - Now this three issue mini I am going to stay on for, but it ins't a runaway. Sure it is good, of course. The talent on this book? I mean, right? But it has way to much going in the negative for me that almost makes me want to drop it.

1 - Joker story - OH BOY!! We haven't had any of those in awhile  Roll Eyes
2 - Feels like we've been here before. Both in another Joker story and with Lemire and Sorrentino's own Image title.
3 - Not going to change a thing in the end. Of course most comics have that same issue.

Those reasons alone should be enough for me to not get the remaining issues but there are two reasons why I am still going to

1 - Lemire
2 - Sorrentino
 Grin

History of the MU #4 - Love this stuff. A little too packed, covering mid-70's to mid-90's (I think), but ... yep Cool
X-Force #1 - I just don't like Percy's writing. I assume that's it. There is little here for me. Including the art  Undecided
New Mutants #1 - Now this one, this one has me, although it almost lost me at the end. And where the art in X-Force pushed my enjoyment of that issue even further down, the art here made this title rise. A perfect editorial pick here. What is better than having an artist that reminds me, not too much but in the same vein, as the artist that made this title pop so many years ago, the incredible Bill "sin-kev-itch" (I can't spell his name!! Cheesy). This was beautiful.
I had no idea who two of the characters on this team were, but it didn't matter. This title makes it a (measly?) two must read X-books for me, while I am going to listen to Jeff's thoughts on Excalibur #2 before making a decision on that, maybe making it three.
 Wink

Berserker Unbound #4
Undiscovered Country #1

Legion of Superheroes #1
Batman #81
Batman #82

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:49:54 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »

ComiXolgy
Die 8

Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Legion of Super-Heroes 1
New Mutants 1
X-Force 1

Deathstroke #49

East of West 43
Ice Cream Man 15
Inferior Five 3
Lois Lane 5
Redneck 24

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 7
Uncanny X-Men 17
War of the Realms 3

Stayed home sick yesterday so I got caught up on almost everything.  Even read two chapters of the Boys TPB.

East of West 43 - I wish this came out more regularly.  Hard to remember what happened from issue to issue. But this issue was still good.  Looking forward to the wrap up.

Ice Cream Man 15 - Another good issue but the creepiness is starting to age on me.  Is this a set number of issues or a never ending?

Inferior Five 3 - I’m still enjoying this but I can see where I might be the only one.

Locke & Key: Dog Days - LOL.  The main story has a funny ending.  I can’t believe I didn’t see that coming. Fun read.

Lois Lane 5 - Not sure how much more virtue signaling over the press I can take on this one.  Thankfully Renee Montoya salvages this for me. 

Redneck 24 - oh yeah! Just when things couldn’t get any worse.  Boom!

Age of X-Man: Prisoner X 3 - Good issue.

Dead Man Logan 7 - Awesome.  Love that he’s back in his time and this particular issue may turn me vegan.

Uncanny X-Men 17 - Whoa! I did not see that cliff hanger coming!

War of the Realms 3 - Still fun!

War of the Realms Strikeforce: The Dark Elf Realm 1 - could have skipped this. It was fine but not necessary.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 04:16:42 PM »

LSH #1... not as good as I hoped but still better than the current Teen Titans monthly.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »

Ice Cream Man 15 - Another good issue but the creepiness is starting to age on me.  Is this a set number of issues or a never ending?

Yeah, I can see your thought process there. I wish they would get back to the main plot-line and the Ice-Cream man's story. If they are just going to go horror stories with an Ice Cream Man host, like House of Mystery et al, then fine do that, but it is like a tease each month when they stay just close enough to the overall plot. Let me know how I need to go into this comic guys. Especially if I have to throw down green.
 Grin
Yeah, I'm not making sense here.
But I know what you (and I) mean
 Grin Grin

Inferior Five 3 - I’m still enjoying this but I can see where I might be the only one.

Oh I will be there, but going collected on this.

Locke & Key: Dog Days - LOL.  The main story has a funny ending.  I can’t believe I didn’t see that coming.

DUDE! That was so fun. And yes, I didn't get it until after he talked about the pee on the tree! Surprised I didn't get it earlier too. It is all over the cover, title, everything!
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Still have to read that second part, or that preview of Hill's new title. Did you read it and if so did it hit for ya?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 12:28:03 AM »

Still have to read that second part, or that preview of Hill's new title. Did you read it and if so did it hit for ya?

I did and I think I will like it.  It's not listed yet on ComiXology so I couldn't put it in my Wish List.  I'll probably wind up forgetting about it and miss it.  Lol.  I'm going to try to remember and pick up the first issue.  Looks to be an interesting crime series a la Criminal or The Fix (which I'm still waiting on that last issue to come out).

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »

Sweet, I will try and check it out ... if I stop drinking and getting sidetracked like I did last night  Cheesy

Never go to Comixology when you have a little bit of a buzz on ... especially when you are feeling nostalgic about comics of your youth because you just watched the first 14 minutes of the Jonny Quest documentary. And no, I didn't end up with a bunch of Quest comics (didn't even look strangely enough  Undecided) but I did pick up a Europe comic that reminded me of the great Hergé (Tin Tin) so I had to jump on it. Atom Agency (seen HERE and looking amazing. I so wish they didn't just have the first three pages up for preview and instead showed some of the interior work. The detail and the look ... YES!!!)

Artistically very much like Tin Tin, now I just hope the story is as good.
 Cheesy

EDIT - Forgot the reason I popped into this thread ... hahahaha
Jeff, I thought about that darn Inferior Five comic more yesterday, after I replied to your comment regarding it, and now ya got me wondering; should I go ahead and start it? I do miss seeing Giffen's art work (again with the nostalgia thing  Cheesy from older Legion comics) and I am a fan of Lemire so ... Curious I am. Let me know if you think it is worth keeping up with or if I should hold off and read later.
I understand that holding off will always make a comic better, but if it has some good cliffhangers or is just a good monthly comic or anything else, maybe I should stay on it? Thanks man!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:15:04 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS