HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:29:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 30, 2019  (Read 5917 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 30, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »

I’m getting close to finishing off my ComiXology library!  Won’t be long before I’m only reading the things I buy that day!

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6
Riddler: Year of the Villain 1
Lex Luthor: Year of the Villain 1
Joker: Year of the Villain 1
Black Adam: Year of the Villain 1
Sea of Stars 4
The Island of Dr. Moreau 1 - Perry convinced me to try this and it’s only two issues.
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3
The Boys Vol. 2: Get Some (Collects issues 7-14)
The Boys Vol. 3: Good for the Soul (Collects issues 15-22)

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 3
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13
Marvel Comics Presents 13
Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31
Thanos 1
Venom 13
War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men 1
========================================

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:21:39 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »

The Island of Dr. Moreau 1 - Perry convinced me to try this and it’s only two issues.
Die 8

Oh, my confidence level is low on this one.  Sad Unless you like the book or the story in general that is.  Grin Make sure you read the back-matter if you have time. Sheds a little light on some of the choices.
Maybe you could also tell me who the third artist is that I see in Rodriquez's art in this one. I certainly see some of his own style as well as a look of Joe or at the very least a jr Kubert here and there. especially with the human characters, but there is another style that I see, almost prominent in fact, but I can't come up with the artist of whom it reminds me.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49:48 AM »

Die 8

Oh, my confidence level is low on this one.  Sad Unless you like the book or the story in general that is.  Grin Make sure you read the back-matter if you have time. Sheds a little light on some of the choices.
Maybe you could also tell me who the third artist is that I see in Rodriquez's art in this one. I certainly see some of his own style as well as a look of Joe or at the very least a jr Kubert here and there. especially with the human characters, but there is another style that I see, almost prominent in fact, but I can't come up with the artist of whom it reminds me.

The first issue was on sale for $1.99 so no big loss if I don't like it.  But I'm betting I enjoy it if you did.  I can separate it from the original and enjoy it for what it is.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 01:54:07 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6
Sea of Stars 4
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31
Thanos 1
Venom 13

The Boys Vol. 2: Get Some (Collects issues 7-14) - I'm getting that "Transmetropolitan" feel with this (with all the disgusting aspects).  Which is a good thing.  While the characterizations are the same as the TV show, there are a lot of differences with the stories.  And I'm actually happy about that.  Similar to Walking Dead, I can enjoy the comic and the tv show separately for the entertainment each can bring.

Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 3 - This got a lot better.  Glad I didn't drop out after that abysmal first issue.  The Psylocke and Blob interactions are what makes this book good.

Black Widow 4 - Just an ok story.  Next issue should finish the story.  I don't know if this was a mini or an ongoing but if it's an ongoing I'm out after the next issue.

Doctor Strange 13 - Doctor Strange vs Galactus.  And it's just as good as it should be.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:46:17 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »

Let me know when you get to Excalibur, Jeff, if you could. Trying not to go to the shop anymore, even though I have a few days to go, and as of now I want this, but don't want to buy it if it is like Marauders.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6
Sea of Stars 4
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31
Thanos 1
Venom 13

Excalibur 1 - I need another issue to solidify an opinion on this.  This is definitely the setup issue for this team.  This could be a great series or it could be junk.  Too early to tell.

That probably doesn’t help you Perry.  Maybe wait until next month to see how it plays out?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 06:24:24 PM »

Hmmm,

Thanks, buddy.

I may end up at the big LCS tomorrow anyway and if so, I will probably go ahead and take a peek see.

If not, I can wait.

I can wait.
I can wait
I can wait.
I can wait.
I can ... FORTY-NINE!!!!

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 02:07:46 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6

Sea of Stars 4
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31
Thanos 1
Venom 13

DCeased 6 - Pretty good ending to a pretty good tale.  Much more scary than the Marvel Zombies.

Riddler: Year of the Villain 1 - Not bad but not not great.  Riddler should be written better as a bigger rogue.  Hopefully this is a turning point for him.

Lex Luthor: Year of the Villain 1 - The best of the Year of the Villain titles.  Not surprising since Jason Latour writes this one.

Joker: Year of the Villain 1 - A good Joker story but has nothing to do with the larger Year of the Villain storyline with Luthor.  If it hadn't been labeled as such I wouldn't have kept waiting for Luthor to show up so I felt a little cheated.  If I had known it was a one shot Joker story I think my frame of mind would have been different and I would have enjoyed it more.  Like I said, it is a good Joker story.

Black Adam: Year of the Villain 1 - Meh.  I haven't been keeping up with the Shazam! title so I felt like I got dropped into the middle of a story that I didn't really care for.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 03:55:19 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 02:55:43 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6

Sea of Stars 4
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31
Thanos 1
Venom 13

Marvel Comics Presents 13 - Wolverine story continues and continues to be good.  Love the 10 year jump between attacks.  Spider-Man story was cute.  Nice 1977 story which would make Peter in his 60's now, but who's counting?  Cheesy  Even the Moon Knight story was a winner.  So that's three good stories in one comic!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »

I'm going to be real curious about your thoughts on Vol 3 & 4 of The Boys when you get there Jeff.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »

DCeased 6 - Pretty good ending to a pretty good tale.  Much more scary than the Marvel Zombies.

Absolutely, but then again, that is kinda like comparing The Exorcist to Scream 3  Cheesy. One was made with characters being more a funny aside while one was written with the idea of having emotional relevance. You actually "feel" DCeased. great stuff.
Can't wait for DCeased²
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 11:09:20 PM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6

Sea of Stars 4
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31

Thanos 1
Venom 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10 - End of the arc.  I keep thinking I’m going to stop reading this but nah.  I’ll finish it out.

Doctor Aphra 31 - Good end to this arc.  This is still my favorite Star Wars comic.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 03:23:45 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur 1
DCeased 6

Sea of Stars 4
Die 8
Birthright 40
Berserker Unbound 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow 4
Doctor Strange 13

Mr. & Mrs. X 10
Doctor Aphra 31

Thanos 1
Venom 13

Sea of Stars 4 - Ahhhh.  Now it starts to make sense.  I think I see where this is heading.  It's not Aaron's best but I'm enjoying it.

Thanos 1 - My first thought was - ugh, do I really want to read a story from the past?  But I'm glad I did.  Nice new twist.

Venom 13 - I see they are using War of the Realms to kickstart this new arc.  I like it.

War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men 1 - I really like this X-Men team and throwing them into the War of the Realms actually makes sense since Dani is a Valkyrie.  This continues the goodness of this Uncanny X-Men.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »

Looks like am gonna goose egg this week.
Just too much going on with the wife being off all the days ... what the heck was she thinking taking all my comic time?
 Angry

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 11:54:48 PM »

Looks like am gonna goose egg this week.
Just too much going on with the wife being off all the days ... what the heck was she thinking taking all my comic time?
 Angry

Cheesy

I had something similar chew up my comic time today.  Spent the day volunteering at Hannah’s Middle School.  I now know why I only have one.   Shocked

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS