HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:57:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo! Fantasy stuff ...  (Read 36853 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 18, 2019, 02:15:13 PM »

Man, I thought we had a Novel section on HR, but I guess not.
 Grin

Hey Jimmy,
I know I have mentioned and asked you Fantasy stuff before, as you are (were) so entrenched in that mode of entertainment, but as I have decided, after watching this guy named Daniel Greene's videos for the past two weeks or so, to give Wheel of Time another go, I thought I would ask you, my fantasy guru  Grin, if you've ever seen any of his Youtube stuff.

Having read the first book of Wheel of Time so long ago, this guy Daniel has gotten me fired up to finish the series. I will have to reread the first one again as it has been about 7 years since my visit with that world, but I am excited to do so. That said, Daniel reminds me of you ... or more specifically, some of the limited conversations on fantasy books and authors you have had with me so long ago here at the Realm ... and as I have soaked up your thoughts and opinions, I would like to know if you feel the same as Daniel Greene does on most of the fantasy stuff out there. He has read, I think, every series that can be read (or so it seems) and would love to compare thoughts between you two.

One reason I think you and Daniel are simpatico is the opinion I think I remember you giving me on Terry Goodkind. I think, if I remember correctly, you are not a fan. I hope that is true or this entire thing goes to crap right out of the gate.
 Cheesy Cheesy
If that is true, then yeah, I think you will enjoy his vids and, perhaps, both of you will help me along the journey of diving into fantasy novels, again.

Anyway, if you hate this guy or just don't have time for watching his vids or giving me your thoughts, that is cool, I know watching someone you don't care for is not fun and life can be a busy thing to deal with on its own. But f you enjoy and or relate to this guy's thinking, please check out more of his videos ... and let me know about them. Would love to discuss with you and to hear your thoughts on this guy's stuff or thoughts. Fantasy guy ~ fantasy guy.
Thanks regardless

OH YEAH! Is Wheel of Time your favorite? If not, what is, if I may ask?

Daniel Greene on Terry Goodkind

EDIT -
AND please, if nothing else, as I am going to dive in this to the end, hopefully, help me here? Again, ONLY if you have the time. Could you watch the vid below and let me know if it is indeed a spoiler free vid on Wheel of Time history? I don't mean total spoiler free, I kinda want a little details to make reading easier, but in his most recent video (not here) he stated that some people complained about "spoilers" being in this video yet he stands by the feeling that there are no true spoilers, only the history and what may help new readers ... or slow readers like myself.
 Cheesy

Again, thanks so much if you do and thanks for at least reading this if not  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:25:04 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:05:28 AM »

I will truly watch both of those!

And you remembered correctly, I am no longer a fan of Goodkind. I'm eager to hear this guy's thoughts! LOL

The Wheel of Time stands as this amazing...event is the wrong word....but it's...something, I wish I could describe!

The last time I read it, I kept a notebook next to me, where I tracked sword forms, names, Ajahs, use of the one Power, time lines and events. Really immersed myself in it. Damn good of me; really came to appreciate it even more!

But I'll be there along the way to chime in and discuss for sure Perry!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »

Sounds good!! Thanks man!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »

Ha! Yeah! Daniel Greene is the man!!

So, I never heard /read bout the Robert Jordan cut, but I've read other parts of those reddit interviews, along with book interviews, and I've long though 'F*** Goodkind. F*** him straight to hell. F*** any success he's had; f***ing die.'

Now I just MORE emphatically feel that way.

But, as a note in his books, where I quit reading, was Faith of the Fallen. The lead character, I SHIT YOU NOT, gave a speech to men who tried to poison the protagonist to blackmail him to save him from their own despotic emperor, 92 PAGES!!! This event (the poisoning), the speech, and subsequent decision, on a hill, take 92 pages.

I'd like to force feed Goodkind the inside of his own asshole so he gets a taste of his writing.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »

I could never get through the first Wheel of Time book.  What I read was really good I just couldn’t find the time to commit to reading it.  I’ll check this out.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »

WoT is...an adventure. It's an immersion. I'm not sure you can casually read it. It's...an undertaking that is it's own reward, or enrichment and fullfillment for having traveled the path.

And damn..but the awesome moments are AWESOME moments my friends have relived again and again in the telling of it to each other!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »

I could never get through the first Wheel of Time book.  What I read was really good I just couldn’t find the time to commit to reading it.  I’ll check this out.

I can't stress this enough, if you don't have time to read get the audio book. I get through more books that way than I ever would if I had to use my eyes  Grin Driving to doggie daycare twice a week I hit play on my phone and BOOM, listen away. Walking the dog in the graveyard on days I can walk and I don't take him to daycare, BOOM another hour or so reading time in. Anyone that that goes to work should be an Audible member.

And hey, if you don't "Read" a lot, do what I did and sign up for their (non-advertised) bronze package and instead of paying $15 a month to get 1 credit (book) a month, you pay 15 every other month and get the 1 credit (book). You also get two "free" books a month, yep each month, even on your non-payment month. Some of them are really cool too.

Now true, paying $15 for what is essentially one book every two months I try to make all the books I get from audible really big books (or long in the case of audio), to get the most of my money, but even if I get the occasional 8 hour read it is worth it.

Especially IT. Best audio book ever.
 Grin

Just call Audible, the number will be somewhere HERE and tell them you want the bronze membership, I think that is what is below the Silver. Just say you want to pay once every two month Grin And you get at least one free book just for joining. It used to be two, but I think it is one now.

Reading with your eyes is also a great way to ... read  Cheesy, so if you are not an audio guy I get it, but I use my eye reading time to read comics so I just don't have the time to look at other words that much. When I walk or drive I get so much reading done, and sadly, can't read my comics when I am on interstate Grin

But yeah, Audible is where I got all the Wheel of Time books and all my Stephen King books and all my Necroscope books and Dune and the Legend of Drzzt (One of my free books when I first joined, which I have never even started) and where I will get all of Sanderson's own stuff as well, when I get through the Wheel books  Grin. I did enjoy the first one, Eye of the World, especially the part when they were in that one abandoned town and ... the gold and ... well ...  Grin, but yeah I got sidetracked before hitting book two.

Thanks for the time, Jimmy, and let me know (again, when you get a chance) if you think it is safe for me to watch the second video or if it is too spoilery, keeping in mind I did read the first book so I am aware of some things like the One Power and the like. Or I should say I know OF the One Power, but not anything that isn't in the first book
 Cheesy

EDIT - Oh, and just in-case you want to hear a sample of that Eye of the World (Wheel of Time book one) audio book, click HERE and hit the sample button under the picture.
At first it was weird to hear this guy's way of doing the narration, but after a little while I really, REALLY got into his style!!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:34:24 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 01:36:25 AM »

I don't believe anything of note is truly spoiled in the WoT video Perry. You're safe to watch it. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »

Sweet sir! Will watch directly then. Thank you!!!

Also, just a little update, I listened to the first chapter of WOT: Eye of the World (or Preface I think ... maybe?) the other day and instantly got into it again. Like I said earlier, I've "read" (listened) to this first book before, but it was actually nice listening to it a second time. It brought back the memories even though, from what I remember, this ... opening volley ... interaction ... doesn't get too much attention in this first book, yeah? If you know what I am talking about  Grin It may be more involved in this book, but I can't recall it being brought up. Not in the first book. Again, that is why I am going to be reading this again ... I just can't remember too much of it.
 Grin

Of course I still have to finish Stephen King's newest book "The Institute" first, and I'm only about 1/4 of the way through so I won't be getting back to WoT too soon, but I had to take a quick listen the other day. Just had to.

Pssssst, if you know what I am talking about with that opening scene, before we meet Rand, is that ... discussion(Grin) mentioned or discussed more in this first book? I think they may touch on it now that I think about it, but it is bugging me for some reason. Damn memory
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »

Okay Jimmy, just an update.

I got through King's The Institute and jumped right back into Eye of the World again. I am just up to the part where the group
just crossed the Taren River heading to Baerlon
That was a fun part of the book, but I remember so much more coming!! If I were to breakdown the major events I do remember it would be them at that dead city (whose name I forgot, but that part was really fun) and then the ending battle with the ... ya know  Grin I honestly don't remember much more than that. And THAT is why I am rereading this before moving on to part two. I remember so little.
It is kinda cool remembering things as I go, like the fog that hid the team and all. Yeah, I am digging this.
Is this your favorite Fantasy series? And I know I had asked you before, but what about Sanderson's Stormlight? I want to start that when I am finished with all 14 of these books (ya know, 10 years from now  Cheesy Cheesy) and I'm not sure I will read the prequel New Spring unless you think I should ... I heard if I do read it, I should read it after WoT book 5: The Fires of Heaven. And making it a total of 15 books of course
 Smiley
But hey, by then Sanderson should have more books out in his Stormlight series as well! A win/win
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 03:19:05 AM »

Shadar Logoth-that's the haunted city. Smiley

My favorite fantasy series? Hmm..I would probably say it's the best fantasy series I've ever read.

My favorite series goes back to the roleplaying D&D books, Dragonlance 'Legends' series. It's a trilogy that's the sequel to the 'Chronicles' trilogy (which, in itself is a rather rough series in book 1, but evens out much better by book 3). The sequel deals with focusing on one of fantasy's greatest characters-IMHO-Raistlin Majere, and his brother Caramon. Read and finished them in my teens, so it still hearkens well to me, and I still read them about once every 3 years, no doubt!!

But WoT is by far the best, even with it's up and down lumps that occur around books 8-9.

I actually never read New Spring. It's mostly about how Moiraine and Lan really get their clues focused, and the drive to find the young men in Two Rivers and Edmond's Field.

I like the Stormlight so far-it's interesting-greatly interesting!-but not...magical to me yet.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 12:57:27 PM »

Cool!
I remember all thsoe D&D books at the old used book store back when I was just getting out of High-School. They all looked cool. I liked that they had different "realms" (if that is the correct word/phrasing). Even stuff like ... Ravencroft (is that right?) I had thought about trying, but never did. OH! Forgotten Realms ... yeah? Is Dragonlance in that or is that something different?

Sorry, never been a D&D guy as I could never sit long enough for a campaign  Cheesy Cheesy but I do love the world. As much as I know about it of course.

I like the Stormlight so far-it's interesting-greatly interesting!-but not...magical to me yet.

I have read where Sanderson is the one that actually completed the WoT books, after the death of Jordan and most (if not all) are saying he did not just a great job but an amazing one. Keeping the voices true and what came before important. I just figured the Stormlight would be the next for me based on that alone.
How far are you in? The first book? Halfway through that? Into the second?
sorry for getting all into your biz
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I'm just kinda excited about this again. Fantasy world in general. I have no idea why, but I am. Maybe it is that new DC series Last God by Phillip Johnson, who I know nothing about. I gurss he is ore on the gore side of fantasy and I am not sure if you enjoy that darker side or not but if you do and you are  Grin, have you read any of Johnson's stuff? Do you think the comic has a shot at being god?
Again, sorry
 Smiley

Edit -
And for those that have not seen the preview pages of the new Black Label high fantasy comic "Last God"-
Click HERE for CBR's little look see.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:01:12 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »

Some of D&D's lines were really good and special for novels for a short while.

And yes, Ravenloft was a cool place. Vampire of the Mists, then P.N.Elrod's gentle retelling of Strahd Von Zarovich's tragic beginnings in 'I, Strahd' is particulary good.

Dragonlance was a world setting unto itself. No real Shakespeare there, but novels that I simply felt enjoyment reading.

Forgotten Realms, another setting-chief setting, actually-is my mileu, and where  I still roleplay my games in today. Sadly, since being bought by Wizards of the coast (Magic the gathering makers), then bought out by Hasbro, they will no longer do novels.

Brandon Sanderson..I have no idea how he writes so much so fast! IT's like the guy is limited by physics in his ability to tell 19 books at the same time. He did an AMAZING job finishing the last 4,000 pages of WoT. Loved it.

Stormlight I've read the first 2, and just have not been able to create the ability to read the 3rd due to...children.

I want to read Johnson's comic! Never read a novel by him.

In the next....wait, no it's out! TOMORROW!!! The Burning White by Brent Weeks comes out tomorrow! Book 5, finishes his Lightbringer series, which I have ADORED reading; every book has had just amazing revelations and truths to it, and each finale was just 'whoa!' can't wait to finish this!!

Most other book series I read was the 'Demon Cycle' by Peter v. Brett. STarted so cool, so amazing, great world building, loved the climbing events...then it slowed in books 3 & 4, and honestly just pbbbbbbttted out like a loose balloon to end it. .

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 02:21:25 PM »

Man, I will try and check out some of your recommendations (recommendations by way of just talking about them, not that you actually recommended them to me  Grin), but I am going to try ... TRY and get my list of novel reading/audio going as follows:

- Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) ... close to halfway point
- The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time #2) ... only reason I am rereading #1 is to get to this with a little memory  Cheesy
- Head full of Ghosts (Paul Tremblay) ... may need a "fantasy" break after two in a row  Grin
- Grave Peril (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files #3)
- The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time #3)

And I still have to fit in time for Sanderson's Stormlight and and some point I really want to start the Witcher series of books. There is just so much I want to read/listen to!!!

I just hope I don't spend too much time between WoT #2 to #3 or I will have to reread #2 like I had to do with #1
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »

Alrighty then!!
Getting close to the end of Eye of the World now. I just met (again) the Green Man (or the last remaining Ent  Wink) and I kind of remember what happens next!

I do remember this being so close to Lord of the Rings in story, characters and tone, and I do know that Robert Jordan talked about how he did that, brought a more modern take on LotR on purpose and in homage to then sprout off and go to building a completely different world/story, or some such, but I didn't realize how much I do really enjoy all the similarities and slight differences. It is hitting me much more this time through for some reason.
 Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS