HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:54:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo! Fantasy stuff ...  (Read 36846 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2020, 04:53:39 PM »

I’m on chapter 14, The Stag and the Lion.  They just arrived at the Inn.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »

I’m on chapter 14, The Stag and the Lion.  They just arrived at the Inn.

And now I'm on Chapter 18 -
they just fled the city of Baerlon and the Wisdom, Nynaeve,  from their home town has joined them.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2020, 12:45:13 AM »

Yeah, but the end of TGH is FAKKIN YUUUGE in scope of what goes down and how it all happens. Blows the book out of the water and is what makes many big fans of this entry! Just you wait! Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »

I’m on chapter 14, The Stag and the Lion.  They just arrived at the Inn.

And now I'm on Chapter 18 -
they just fled the city of Baerlon and the Wisdom, Nynaeve,  from their home town has joined them.

Ahhh, so you found the White Cloaks at Baerlon.

So do you see the Lord of the Rings influence? Again, it isn't a bad thing, and it does go well off of that feel the deeper you go. Heck, I think it was kinda brilliant to give people a totally new fantasy story yet encase it in a very similar one they already feel comfortable with reading. It is like getting to know these new characters by associating them with some from the past.

And you say you are on chapter 18 ... not sure how far you are along, so I won't say much but ... ohhhh  chapters 18 and 19 are cool!!

Yeah, but the end of TGH is FAKKIN YUUUGE in scope of what goes down and how it all happens. Blows the book out of the water and is what makes many big fans of this entry! Just you wait! Cheesy

Sweet! Looking forward to it!! I am pumped once again over the last few chapters. About to head out for my walk. Hope to get past 42? ... or 40 .. something  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »

I’m on chapter 22 now.

We’ve escaped from the abandoned city in the woods.  That was a really cool part by the way.  The trap of the treasure and all.  They should have known it was a trap.  Stupid Matt.

Just like Lord of the Rings, the party is now split apart but all headed for the same place.  I don’t know where Egwene is yet but I imagine this next chapter will catch up to her.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »

it's funny, I once read somewhere with all the fantasy tropes out there there's essentially like only three four maybe eight stories;maybe that's for all stories. Well fantasy it seems to be there's a great propensity for stories of a) take something somewhere b) go here or start here and go there kill something and c) go from here to there and become something different while there. and there's a lot of that in this book. Also there's so much world building that yeah you are going to see every single country in the world!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2020, 05:16:35 AM »

Starting chapter 30........

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2020, 02:50:31 PM »

Starting chapter 30........

GET ON IT!!

Jeff, like I said on the video, you may pass me before I get through this book!! Especially book 3. Yeah, if you opperate at that pace, I see you passing me no later than book 3  Cheesy
That is, if you stay on without taking a break, which I have to. I really enjoy what I am reading, and the part I am at now makes it even more enjoyable, but I do plan on taking a break from this realm after this book. Probably will for the entire run.

Of course another thing pushing me to finish the series is now Amazon's production is soon to release the Wheel of Time series and I would like to at least stay ahead of that. As much as possible, if they go somewhat linear of course.

I also keep forgetting to ask Jimmy (and now you as you are so far along in the first book) how he feels about the casting for the show? I think they did a really good job with the casting, though originally I would have liked a little older looking Nynaeve, just a tad. I think she is 6 or so years older than Egwene in the book and at first, with the picture I saw, the actor looked to be even younger, but now, honestly looking over the actor again, I think that her look  is about right. With this new link/images I can see a very slight age difference in the two. That's good.

I will say that I have no issues with any of the casting though I will add that while I think the Loial casting is pretty darn good ... man oh man, that Padan Fain casting is perfection!!! I can see that even at first glance. That was a great call! Also can't wait to see Perrin's contacts when the time comes!
 Grin

So what do you guys think?
Take a look HERE if you need to see, just scroll down just a tad for the characters
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »

Yeah, Nynaeve is 8 years older than Egwene, but only 4 older than Rand, Perrin, and Mat. By the time Nynaeve is, um book 2, she's 24 years.

That's...ok, this will sound bad typing, but a diverse cast! But I've said before too, get the best actor. I loved Elba as Heimdall, and I can like this cast as well. Lan is a bit..younger than I would like. Tam's actor almost looks a better actor age for Lan (from a pure book standpoint), but whatever.

I also have no faith in things being converted well to watching. GoT tried to do a good job casting  and did well enough, but the Shannara (on MTV, mind you) was the worst thing ever.

So, we'll see!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »

So, I just realize I said 'good job, neat casting!' then threw shade all over the project by saying 'they'll do a crap job of doing it any good!'

More to my negative point, I don't believe they'll be...that good in cutting out what needs to be done from the books to make it a cohesive series. Then, there's also when the writers' start adding 'their' stuff, or believing they can improve on what Jordan wrote.

That's where I'll get irritated. Assuming I have time to watch it!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2020, 05:20:33 PM »

Daniel Greene was just talking about what will be the hardest thing for them to deal with, from special effects to what to leave out (like Gray Man/Souless was something he mentioned) but I remain hopeful they will pull this off. I have seen a lot of Amazon productions, the ones they make, not the ones, like Netflix does a lot of times, they buy at auctions and so yeah, I'm hoping for the best. Or at least the not-so-terrible
 Cheesy

But I say that feeling the exact same way that you do about this, but about Netflix's Locke and Key (SEVEN MORE DAYS!!), so I know what you are afraid of. I already know there will be a lot of changes to that series. Okay, I don't know, but I can guess.
 Embarrassed
Another factor in my fear is, from what I have heard, those that have seen the original Locke and Key pilot (the one that got rejected) said it was pretty darn good and close as hell to the comic.
Yeah, even more worry then?
 Angry

But in other ... news?  Grin I just hope that someone comes up with a good enough script for King's Dark Tower series, as that pilot and the series pick-up option has now been booted by the Amazon folks.
 Angry
Better luck next time?
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »

I found myself taking a moment, and mulled it over.

Is a visual Dark Tower something I need? Want?

No offense to any actor, but the writing of Roland suffering an attack from the lobstrosity I don't think can be visually matched on film. I think King's writing is what drives the first 2 books especially. I guess I'm (whining) that perhaps we are better off without having a DT show.

And that's the reservations I put towards WoT as well. Too pessimistic, what with I believe a proven track record of books to series kind of sucking.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »

If John Carpenter can make the movie The Thing, waaaay back in the day, there is no reason, absolutely no reason that they can't work out how Roland
and his hand ... oh yeah ... and toe meet those beach lobster monstrosities

And yes, I want to see it!!!
 Smiley

EDIT -
And that's the reservations I put towards WoT as well. Too pessimistic, what with I believe a proven track record of books to series kind of sucking.

Because books are always better. Nothing in a show or movie will ever compare to your own imagination or expectations. That is true with any "movie picture" thing. Or at least 90% of them. Don't compare them, they are totally different mediums.
Enjoy them for what they are, sir
 Grin

Except for that Shannara crap. I didn't read the books, have no desire to, and yet even I thought that stuff was horrible.
 Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:23:51 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2020, 08:56:47 PM »

I’m sure I will take a break between books.  I was in the middle of a different book on Audible when I switched over to this one.  I’ll want to get back to that and finish it before I start book 2, most likely.  But I am enjoying this.  Nice diversion from the real world.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »

Well just finished book two. Okay, not "Just finished" as in this second finished Smiley, I finished it on the walk this morning. Good ending, though certainly a little more Lord of the Rings influence there as well, but hey, all good. I still enjoyed it. Very much so.

I will say, for an addition to the negative column, that I do get tired of all these damn women just looking at Rand and instantly thinking of marriage though. I mean to throw down and get busy for a night, sure, okay, Rand = Brad Pitt, but lord ... these chicks go all overboard with the whole "coupling and him having me as a bride" thing  Roll Eyes
 Grin

As for next, I will get to book three after I listen to ... I'm not sure yet. Probably Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, book one of the First Law Trilogy, but I may take a break away from that type of fantasy all together. Not sure yet.

I do know, after finishing this epic book, I need to read issue #45 of East of West to finish off that epic series. Hopefully tonight. Man, I hope I get to it. I think I have read a mere two comics so far this week
 Undecided

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS