HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:56:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 11, 2019  (Read 4186 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 11, 2019, 04:22:13 PM »

Pretty much my leftover list from last week, except for Powers of X.

ComiXolgy
Powers of X 4
Detective Comics 1001
Detective Comics 1002
Detective Comics 1003
Birthright 38
Die 6
Ice Cream Man 13
Killers 1
Punk Mambo 4
Fallen World 4
Sea of Stars 2
Starslayer TPB Vol 1 (Mike Grell)
The Fuse Vol 2 Gridlock

Marvel Unlimited
Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter 2
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11
Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 1
Doctor Aphra 29
Cloak & Dagger 3
Invaders 2
X-Force 3
Marvel Comics Presents 2

========================================

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:22:17 AM »

ComiXolgy
Powers of X 4
Detective Comics 1001
Detective Comics 1002
Detective Comics 1003

Birthright 38
Die 6
Ice Cream Man 13
Killers 1
Punk Mambo 4
Fallen World 4
Sea of Stars 2
The Fuse Vol 2 Gridlock

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11
Doctor Aphra 29
Cloak & Dagger 3
Invaders 2
X-Force 3
Marvel Comics Presents 2

Powers of X 4 - More reimagined history.  Next week's House of X 5 is supposed to be another important issue.

Detective Comics 1001-1003 - I'm not that thrilled with this arc.  It's mildly interesting.

Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter 2 - Wow this comic is so amazing.  The art is fantastic and the story is just as good.  I don't know who Kelly Thompson is but she is a great writer for Jessica Jones.  BIG THUMBS UP for this issue in particular.

Old Man Quill 2 - Pretty good story so far - not a fan of the art.  It's not terrible but not the quality I'm used to with these "Old Man" books.  Unfortunately, I got spoiled on the big reveal that comes up in  a few issues but I can't wait to see what happens after that twist.

Return of Wolverine 5 - Well at least this ended well.  I liked this final issue.  Finally got the Wolverine I know I love back.

Uncanny X-Men 12 - I know this run no longer matters but dang it's good!  I love seeing Cyclops and Wolverine together again just like the old days.  I bet this has a heck of an ending!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »

Nothing.

I move in t minus 7 days. Oh joy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »

ComiXolgy
Powers of X 4
Detective Comics 1001
Detective Comics 1002
Detective Comics 1003

Birthright 38
Die 6
Ice Cream Man 13
Killers 1
Punk Mambo 4
Fallen World 4
Sea of Stars 2
The Fuse Vol 2 Gridlock

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11
Doctor Aphra 29
Cloak & Dagger 3

Invaders 2
X-Force 3
Marvel Comics Presents 2

Venom 11 - Nice story arc with the Maker. And a shocking cliff hanger to boot.

Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 1 - Ouch.  This was bad. Plot is interesting but the writing is terrible.

Doctor Aphra 29 - About time for this arc to wrap up. It’s starting to get stale.  Still fun characters and their interactions are great.

Cloak & Dagger 3 - I enjoyed this.  Fun distraction from the rest of the Marvel world.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 05:52:22 PM »

Nothing.

Oh yes, the joy of moving.  But once your all unpacked it will be worth it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »

Nothing.

Oh yes, the joy of moving.  But once your all unpacked it will be worth it.

How far ya going, Jimbo? Did you say already? Hahaha (my brain)

And as someone that had to move like 24 times, before reaching age 18 (would have been 25, but mom let me stay here when they moved that time as I was "close enough to 18") I despise that act of moving. It was something she had to do, I get it, but for a kid to go to ... about 14 different schools, 4 just during high-school, which made that age of discovery fun ... moving sucks.
Heck, we have one more move we have to do and I hate the prospect of that. But when the wife retires and we decide where, literally, in the world we wish to make our final move, hopefully it will be the very last. Well, crematory not included.
 Cheesy
But for you sir, I hope you settle in with this last one and enjoy. And for your kid, I hope it is a looooong time before you have to move again!!!! (although, young enough now it won't matter)
 Grin

Age of X-Man: X-Tremists 1 - Ouch.  This was bad. Plot is interesting but the writing is terrible.

Cheesy
I loved the idea of this, but most of the mini's fell short for me, although I didn't stick with any of them for long. I hope you can get one or two that you enjoy.

Doing okay so far -

Detective #1009 - I ... I guess it was okay. Can't remember it now  Embarrassed Darn it!!

Amazing Spider-Man #23 - I am behind but this arc is FINALLY over now!!! Great story, but too long
Black Cat #4 - I am really digging this. I don't want to  Grin, too many others I want to read, but ...
Powers of X #4 - One man has invigorated the X like crazy. It is incredible.
Fantastic Four #12
Fantastic Four #13
Fantastic Four #14
- Now THIS is what I needed! I swear, that past issues of this title have just beat me down so badly that I dreaded reading this title. The issues just sat and sat until I finally thought I was mentally ready enough to read them. I got about a quarter of the way into issue #12 and I found myself enjoying what I was reading. "Could this be?"
It was, I enjoyed all three issues. The Hulk and Think fight in 12 and 13 was perfection !!!! (and not a spoiler as it is on the cover  Grin) Issue #14 was ... not as fun, but still left me happy enough. Thank you Slott! I hope this is just the beginning.

Red Sonja #5
Red Sonja #6
Red Sonja #7
- And I think I'm done with the barbarian red-head. Just so much Conan out now ...  Cheesy
Spawn #298 - Slowly working my way to #300
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:46:54 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »

ComiXolgy
Powers of X 4
Detective Comics 1001
Detective Comics 1002
Detective Comics 1003

Birthright 38
Die 6
Ice Cream Man 13

Killers 1
Punk Mambo 4
Fallen World 4
Sea of Stars 2
The Fuse Vol 2 Gridlock

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11
Doctor Aphra 29
Cloak & Dagger 3

Invaders 2
X-Force 3
Marvel Comics Presents 2

Birthright 38 - If like big battle issues - this one's for you!

Die 6 - Whoa!  What a cliffhanger ending!!

Ice Cream Man 13 - Loved this Palindrome issue!  I read it forward and backward.

Invaders 2 - Man, Namor's a d***.

X-Force 3 - Ugh.  I'm not sure I can get past this art.

Marvel Comics Presents 2 - Fun Wolverine story.  Not sure if I liked the Reed Richards story or not.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 11:08:36 PM »

I thought you were getting off this title. Decided to stay or are you just finishing what you already paid for?
I need to catch up.
I need to have that phrase loaded into a permanent copy/paste hot key
 Cheesy

Ice Cream Man 13 - Loved this Palindrome issue!  I read it forward and backward.

It was so cool!!!

Invaders 2 - Man, Namor's a d***.

RIGHT?
 Cheesy Cheesy

X-Force 3 - Ugh.  I'm not sure I can get past this art.

It's only 10 issues, hang in
 Grin
Or not
 Grin

Marvel Comics Presents 2 - Fun Wolverine story.  Not sure if I liked the Reed Richards story or not.

You are probably going to want to keep going on this title for a few. Something "important" happens. I heard about it, though I am not sure how much I care about it. You may find it very cool though. Or again, not
 Grin Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:22 PM »

I thought you were getting off this title. Decided to stay or are you just finishing what you already paid for?

I was?  I don't remember thinking that.  Doesn't mean I didn't say it though.  Old man brain.   Cheesy

I must have forgot b/c this is the next arc and I've been picking it up and liking it so far.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 12:47:13 AM »

ComiXolgy
Powers of X 4
Detective Comics 1001
Detective Comics 1002
Detective Comics 1003

Birthright 38
Die 6
Ice Cream Man 13

Killers 1
Punk Mambo 4
Fallen World 4
Sea of Stars 2

The Fuse Vol 2 Gridlock

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11
Doctor Aphra 29
Cloak & Dagger 3

Invaders 2
X-Force 3
Marvel Comics Presents 2

Killers 1 - Liked it.  Good start to what looks like a promising series.

Punk Mambo 4 - Fun penultimate issue.  Looking forward to the conclusion.

Fallen World 4 - Abnett didn't completely suck here.  Not a bad story and the next issue should wrap things up nicely.

Sea of Stars 2 - Enjoying this Dad desperately tries to find lost son in space story.  So far so good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »

I was?  I don't remember thinking that.  Doesn't mean I didn't say it though.  Old man brain.   Cheesy

Oh hell, I don't know. I thought so.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »

Oh hell, I don't know. I thought so.
 Cheesy

I'm sure you're right.  I have a vague recollection of getting tired of it.  I guess the break between arcs faded my memory. 

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 01:20:05 AM »

ComiXolgy
Powers of X 4
Detective Comics 1001
Detective Comics 1002
Detective Comics 1003

Birthright 38
Die 6
Ice Cream Man 13

Killers 1
Punk Mambo 4
Fallen World 4
Sea of Stars 2

The Fuse Vol 2 Gridlock

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11
Doctor Aphra 29
Cloak & Dagger 3

Invaders 2
X-Force 3
Marvel Comics Presents 2

Starslayer TPB Vol 1 (Mike Grell) - Great read.  I remember picking up an issue or two of this waaaaaay back in the day.  Too bad there wasn't more of this fun series.  If for no other reason to get more of that great Mike Grell art.  Makes me want to go find all those old Warlord comics he drew.  Hmmm. Maybe they're on DC Universe......

Rolling over that Fuse trade to tomorrow's list.  Almost made it this week!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:23:56 AM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS