HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:52:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 28, 2019  (Read 5932 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 27, 2019, 10:27:37 PM »

Only one more group from my original backlog list to go!!

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 37
37   Avengers: Back To Basics (2018)   #1 (of 6)   3/7/2018
37   Avengers: Back To Basics (2018)   #2 (of 6)   3/21/2018
37   Avengers: Back To Basics (2018)   #3 (of 6)   4/4/2018
37   Avengers: Back To Basics (2018)   #4 (of 6)   4/18/2018
37   Avengers: Back To Basics (2018)   #5 (of 6)   5/2/2018
37   Avengers: Back To Basics (2018)   #6 (of 6)   5/16/2018

ComiXolgy
House of X 3
Action Comics 1014
Superman 14 - first Legion look!
Freedom Fighters 8
DCeased 3
Bone Parish 11
Psi-Lords 2
Ascender 4
Redneck 22
The Wicked + The Divine 44
Punk Mambo 1
Punk Mambo 2
Punk Mambo 3

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: The Amazing Nightcrawler 1
Black Order 4
Dazzler Facsimile Editioin 1
Doctor Strange 11
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter 2
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11

========================================
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:05:26 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:13:13 AM »

Backlog list is finished!!!!

ComiXolgy
House of X 3
Action Comics 1014

Freedom Fighters 8
DCeased 3
Bone Parish 11
Psi-Lords 2
Ascender 4
Redneck 22
Punk Mambo 1
Punk Mambo 2
Punk Mambo 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 4
Doctor Strange 11
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11

Avengers: Back To Basics 1-6 - Just a so-so story.  Didn't hate it.  Didn't love it.

House of X 3 - First strike against Orchis.  Nice little team Cyclops put together.

Action Comics 1014 - Sort of a day in the life of the Daily Planet.  Nothing too exciting but there is story progression.

Superman 14 - first Legion look!  And I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it.    Sad
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:59:43 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:57:48 AM »

ComiXolgy
House of X 3
Action Comics 1014

Freedom Fighters 8
DCeased 3
Bone Parish 11

Psi-Lords 2
Ascender 4
Redneck 22
Punk Mambo 1
Punk Mambo 2
Punk Mambo 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 4
Doctor Strange 11
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11

Freedom Fighters 8 - More fun.  I really like this comic.  Black Condor gets a highlight here.

DCeased 3 - Another fun and also sad issue.  This is not going to end well.

Bone Parish 11 - Oh man...BEST comic I've read so far this week.  Excited about next issue but also sad the series will be over!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:32:01 AM »

Backlog list is finished!!!!

WHOA.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Nice reading Jeff! Hope you enjoyed what you read!!! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »

ComiXolgy
House of X 3
Action Comics 1014

Freedom Fighters 8
DCeased 3
Bone Parish 11

Psi-Lords 2
Ascender 4
Redneck 22

Punk Mambo 1
Punk Mambo 2
Punk Mambo 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 4
Doctor Strange 11
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11

Psi-Lords 2 - Strange story, and mainly due to the art.  But I like it! Alien cats and all.

Ascender 4 - The time jump really makes this interesting. Can’t wait for them to come across Tim.

Redneck 22 - man, this just never gets old.

The Wicked + The Divine 44 - only one issue left!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »

House of X 3 - First strike against Orchis.  Nice little team Cyclops put together.

That last page!! So damn good. That is the only good thing about monthly comics. Leaving ya hangin'
(Sure, we know they are safe, but how Grin)

Action Comics 1014 - Sort of a day in the life of the Daily Planet.  Nothing too exciting but there is story progression.
Superman 14 - first Legion look!  And I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it.    Sad

I have yet to read either, but now I am scared!!!

Freedom Fighters 8 - More fun.  I really like this comic.  Black Condor gets a highlight here.

Decided to wait on this until it is done as I enjoyed what I was reading, but still struggle sometimes with monthly memory  Grin. Hope I stay committed to it when it IS completed. I know my habits too well  Undecided

DCeased 3 - Another fun and also sad issue.  This is not going to end well.

This is really good. No waiting here!

Bone Parish 11 - Oh man...BEST comic I've read so far this week.  Excited about next issue but also sad the series will be over!

That darn #12 has been calling me, but I have so far eluded its siren call. I just don't want it to end. Hitting it soon though

Psi-Lords 2 - Strange story, and mainly due to the art.  But I like it! Alien cats and all.

Going to eventually try this again, but I just did not enjoy, or couldn't get into issue one. And yes, the art was a factor in that.

Knocked out a decent bit just last night ... as I was up for most of it  Angry

House of X #3 - Oh my!!!!

Knights Temporal #1 - I can see where this is going and  ... it's fine. But way down the list of reads for me
Gideon Falls #7
Gideon Falls #8
Gideon Falls #9
- Finally going to catch up to this title. Love that smile!!  Wink
Five Years #1
Five Years #2
Five Years #3
- Terry Moore's latest (and greatest?) story yet. This epic contains all of his characters from all of his past creator owned titles, and it starts off very interesting as they all try to stop the death of all humans? WOW.
I hope this lasts longer than Motor Girl did. This title just may have the chops to do so as the readership of this should be (I hope) really high.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »

Five Years is on my list but since Abstract titles never drop in price I’ll likely buy the fist group in a collected edition.  It’s cheaper that way.  Of course I know myself well enough to know that once I do that I won’t be able to wait and I’ll buy the rest as they come out.  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »

Grin
Right?

I was/am really impressed with it so far. Much more engaging than Motor Girl, with a great mix and feel of all the other titles, including a little espionage (and sexy time  Cheesy) like SiP, a little science stuff like Echo and a little bit of that good creepiness like Rachel Rising. Yeah, I agree, I think you will be on the monthly after you read the collected first volume.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

ComiXolgy
House of X 3
Action Comics 1014

Freedom Fighters 8
DCeased 3
Bone Parish 11

Psi-Lords 2
Ascender 4
Redneck 22

Punk Mambo 1
Punk Mambo 2
Punk Mambo 3

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 4
Doctor Strange 11
Old Man Quill 2
Return of Wolverine 5
Uncanny X-Men 12
Venom 11

Punk Mambo 1-3  -  Not bad.  I like the character and the story is ok.  I wouldn’t recommend unless your a big fan of Punk Mambo.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »

Punk Mambo 1-3  -  Not bad.  I like the character and the story is ok.  I wouldn’t recommend unless your a big fan of Punk Mambo.

And I do, so I need to get back on this

Knocked out a couple more -

2000AD 1186
2000AD 1187
- Watched Dredd recently (the good one) and wanted to check out some Dredd stuff.
Ice Cream Man #14 - I still enjoy this, but now I want a little more linear story, maybe? More Caleb?
Gideon Falls #10
Gideon Falls #11
Gideon Falls #12
- Finally this book got to the point. I love the creators here but damn, that was a slow reveal.
Bone Parish #12 - This issue went way too fast. It is not a fast read, but I wish I would have read issues 11 and 12 back to back or, would have liked this to be a weird 11 issues series and had the last two issues be sold as one. Yeah, this should've been one big issue  Embarrassed
Still enjoyed the heck out of the story and the story ends in a good way, but that last issue didn't feel like a full issue. It felt more like the last three pages of a story. Haha, I can't explain it. Wish I could have caught you in time, Jeff, I would have told you to read 12 right after, directly after, you read 11. The pacing would have worked so much better.
Even with that, this was a cool story that I really enjoyed non-the-less!!!
 Smiley

House of X #3

Knights Temporal #1
Gideon Falls #7
Gideon Falls #8
Gideon Falls #9

Five Years #1
Five Years #2
Five Years #3

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »

The Boys Vol 3, almost all of 4.

I remember why I ended up saying 'to hell with Ennis' on this stuff.

One, at the time, and maybe still now, instead of taking a darker angle, and exploring what 'could happen' ala Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, Ennis is allowed the luxury of a strengthening industry and return to popular fame to lampoon, deride, and honestly, shit all over 'superheroes' and the concept of them.

Now, the good story is there. Yes. But a lot of this smacks the genre in the eye by saying 'you know this comics stuff is a bunch of stupid shit, right? I think so.' It just really ate at me and bugged me.

Now, I think I can sit back and say 'jokes on you (if it was), but people like their superheroes, so...suck it Trebek!'

Also, the OTHER reason I really said goodbye, more than anything? Well, SPOILERS IN VOLUME 3 (crap, no, it's 4 sorry)

When Hugie first gets with Annie for sex, he goes down on her. His sleep is interrupted that night by Butcher showing up at his door-and Hughie has the 'sloppy' remains of Annie's period on his face still from giving oral.

FUCKING REALLY, ENNIS? FOR WHAT FUCKING POINT? I still reread this now and went 'oh shit, that's right, that's where this went. I still find it juvenile as all hell, only just above pure smut, but totally unnecessary. It's such an annoying aspect through the books at many instances.

But eh, I got all 10 trades for less than 85 cents a copy, so I'll read it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »

Haha, man, nothing like puerile humor, yeah? Oh, that crazy, Ennis! So Edgy.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I stand by my statement that the show does so much more than the comic ever did. I know I originally read a little further into the series than you did, Jimbo, but I had to even give it up after a few months. And that hurt at the time because Ennis was (and indeed still is) one of my all time favorite writers. But, as you said, it was just becoming more and more obvious that he thought/thinks (or at the very least, portrayed that feeling) that caped comics are stupid and it got to the point where it felt like, near the time I stopped reading, he was saying not only are the comics stupid, but people that read them are as well.

And I have no ill for anyone that reads The Boys, I would like to jump back in as well (although your spoiler makes me a tad wary) but damn, that show, being tampered way down like it is ... incredible. Pure elation.

Would the book have been as good (enjoyable) had Ennis gone that route? Not sure, maybe, but I think I enjoy the show so much more in comparison to the two Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »

Haha, man, nothing like puerile humor, yeah?

I had to look that word up. "puerile"

Even an owner at HeroRealm learns something new!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »

And that hurt at the time because Ennis was (and indeed still is) one of my all time favorite writers.

Agreed. I mean, his Punisher, Transmet, and even for someone like me, (me!!!) Preacher.

But, as you said, it was just becoming more and more obvious that he thought/thinks (or at the very least, portrayed that feeling) that caped comics are stupid and it got to the point where it felt like, near the time I stopped reading, he was saying not only are the comics stupid, but people that read them are as well.

Yes! Your words! I try to make my language come out as you speak in writing, but me no good in getting brain balloons to keyboard alphabet!

I tried to say that, but came up short, but Perry, your words echo my sentiments exactly here.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »

Haha, man, nothing like puerile humor, yeah?

I had to look that word up. "puerile"

Even an owner at HeroRealm learns something new!

HA, the only reason I know that word, honest truth, was when I was about 13 and I was "writing lyrics" for "my band"  Cheesy, I showed my song "Aces and Eights" to my step-dad and he called it "Puerile"  Shocked

Grin Grin
After reflecting on it for a couple days, and calming down of course  Cheesy, I came to the realization that he was so dead on that I immediately went back and dove deeper into the process and made a pretty good song out of it, a couple years later.
I have loved that word ever since.

Damn, I wish I knew where all my stuff and especially that one was now!! Really enjoyed that song. Taking the aces and eights (Dead Man's hand ... because that is what Wild Bill was said to be holding when he was shot in the head at a poker game) principle concept of bad luck and flipping to the inverse of having great fortune after the death of the body. Yeah, really liked that song. The music wasn't bad either.

Speaking of ... I have been listening to the new Tool release and loving the song "7empest". Need to go look up all the lyrics to the ... what ... six "songs" on the album and TRY to determine what they actually are about. Who knows when it comes to Maynard, but can't help but think of a certain political figure on that particular song
Grin

WOW, what I sidetrack that was!!!
 Undecided
sorry guys

And Jimmy, ha, if only that was the case. You are much better at "saying what you mean" that I am. Especially now a days. I just followed your point is all. Plus its easy when the subject is a shared point
 Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS