HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:47:34 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 17, 2019  (Read 7284 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 17, 2019, 02:32:58 AM »

Rolled over my leftover Marvel comics (4 of them) and that Peter David Star Trek Trade.  I think this list is doable for this week.

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 22
21   Star Trek Archives   Vol. 1: Best of Peter David (Collects 5 issues)  6/1/2016
22   Warlord of Mars   #7   6/8/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #8   7/8/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #9   9/14/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #10   9/28/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #11   10/28/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #12   11/28/2011
22   Valerian   Vol. 1: The City of Shifting Waters   7/18/2016

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70
Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2
DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3
Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Infinity Wars: Infinity #1
Immortal Hulk #11
Web of Venom: Unleashed #1
Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1
Black Order #3

==========

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »

21   Star Trek Archives   Vol. 1: Best of Peter David (Collects 5 issues)  6/1/2016

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70
Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2
DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3
Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

==========

Marvel Knights 20th #5 - Getting closer to end.  And what a twist cliff hanger!

Man Without Fear #1-2 - After issue 1 I was thinking of skipping this.  But issue 2 brought me back in.  I think after this mini I'm going to take a break from Daredevil.  Just not enjoying them like I should be.

Infinity Wars: Infinity #1 - I liked the story development with the prisoner.  But the cliff hanger leading to Wolverine: Infinity Watch made me roll my eyes.  This was the official end of the event and I'm done with it.

Immortal Hulk #11 - Man this comic is getting weirder and weirder.  And yet...I can't look away.......

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 02:56:09 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70

Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2

DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3
Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

==========

Batman 69-70 - Finally out of that dreamworld!  Happy to start wrapping this up.

Bone Parish 1 & 2 - BAM!  I'm in.  This is a good book.  I was so creeped out in the first issue but the premise is fascinating.  There's a lot of ways this can go and none of them good for the characters.

DCeased 2 - Man - that image of...
Alfred with the shotgun.
... You just knew what was going to happen.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »

Batman 69-70 - Finally out of that dreamworld!  Happy to start wrapping this up.

Welllllll, maybe  Grin

Bone Parish 1 & 2 - BAM!  I'm in.  This is a good book.  I was so creeped out in the first issue but the premise is fascinating.  There's a lot of ways this can go and none of them good for the characters.

Glad to hear it hit for you.  Cool Loved the "rocker" moment, that really showed what this drug was like, what it can do, and that is important to get that in early, so Bunn did a great job with that. Plus you learn a tad more as you go. I was really surprised I never knew about this book. In fact I was told I was an idiot, to which I didn't disagree  Cheesy. I think it was the fact it is Boom. That said, yeah, I'm hooked as well.

DCeased 2 - Man - that image of...
Alfred with the shotgun.
... You just knew what was going to happen.

Yes sir. That was what really won me over. I thought that was done so well.

Got a couple books from the sale so I can read what I've been trying to read for awhile and one book I shouldn't really claim I "read", but I got most of it in I think  Grin-

Collapser #1 - Another of DC's Young Animals imprint, this one written by the brother of Doom Patrol's Gerard Way, Mikey Way. Kinda grabbed this off the shelf and "scan read" it, reading every other page or so. Basically a guy gets a Black Hole as a gift from some ... alien, that possibly knew his mom or some such, who could be an alien or ... yeah, like I said, I scanned it  Cheesy I liked the opening page enough where we are shown a dead alien/hero with this black gunk on her (think Venom, but I guess it is the Black Hole) and some aliens are around her saying she is dead, but it is still alive. Later, a few pages in, this guy on Earth then gets a box delivered to his house with the same gunk(?) inside. It did seem pretty cool, although I am not going to read it right now, I may add it later once it is collected.

Criminal #1
Criminal #2
- Like a warm blanket on a cold evening, you just know you can cuddle up and get cozy as these creators bring you good crime drama issue after issue. Why in the hell would I bring up a warm blanket metaphor when it was 110 degrees here yesterday I haven't the foggiest.  Cheesy Enjoyed the first issue greatly, although it seemed almost like an afterthought ending, with his future being told to us instead of shown. It was still good, don't get me wrong  Grin Issue #2 is really cool, bringing in the comic world. I was, at first, wondering if the old artist was Gil Kane (after all, the older artist character being called Hal Crane and such), but then things progressed in a manner that I now just think I was trying to find connection to the story and real life. Cool how Brubaker brought up some old comic creators and editors throughout the story though. Really dug this as well.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »

I have only read one issue since I posted these three this morning, but it ... well, here -

Bone Parish #7 - This issue contains one of the coldest ... perhaps THE cruelest thing I could ever imagine a mob family doing to prove a point or make a showing that they mean business.
 Shocked

Collapser #1

Criminal #1
Criminal #2

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »

Bone Parish #7 - This issue contains one of the coldest ... perhaps THE cruelest thing I could ever imagine a mob family doing to prove a point or make a showing that they mean business.
 Shocked

Ooooo.  Can't wait to get there!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70

Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2

DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3
Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

==========

Warlord of Mars   #7-9 - The end of the second arc, a ten year time jump, and a surprise cliff hanger!  Love this comic.

Warlord of Mars   #10-12 - Okaaay.  Another 10 year time jump!  And the wrap up of a mystery that only sets up what can only be more trouble.  Did I mention I like this comic?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:13:32 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70

Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2

DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3

Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

==========

Deathstroke 44 - This Terminus story Epilogue is setting things up for the next arc.  Can't wait to get that started!!

Female Furies 2 & 3 - Deja Vu!  Having recently read the original Mister Miracle comics by Jack Kriby it was a lot of fun for me to read issue 3.  This is Jack Kirby's issue #9 from the Furies perspective instead of Scott Free's perspective.  The story is updated but basically the same.  VERY COOL!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 01:19:44 AM »

22   Warlord of Mars   #7   6/8/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #8   7/8/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #9   9/14/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #10   9/28/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #11   10/28/2011
22   Warlord of Mars   #12   11/28/2011

22   Valerian   Vol. 1: The City of Shifting Waters   7/18/2016

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70

Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2

DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3

Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

=======================================================

Ice Cream Man 5 - This comic is so horrific.  This must be leading somewhere.

Ice Cream Man 6 - Ah the issue is finally here.  The first part of this was read in a preview that got me interested in the comic.  Now I finally know how Neopolitan ends!

Justice League Dark 10 - So torn on this.  I keep trying to drop it but I keep coming back.  I just can't decide if I love it or hate it.   Undecided

Martian Manhunter 1 - Wow - this was cool.  I haven't seen Riley's art since Proof! and it's fun to see in this story.  I'm definitely engaged here.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70

Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2

DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3

Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

Web of Venom: Unleashed #1 - Okaaaaaaay.  This is gonna be weird.  But Venom vs Carnage I'm on board for.

Uncanny X-Men #9 - So ready for this arc to be over.  So ready for the Hickman era.

Thor #9 - Lead up to the War of Realms focusing on Roz Solomon.  A decent issue and some good character development.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 - Finally here after listening to Perry go on and on and on and on about this comic.   Grin   Ok let's see if this is worth my time...[goes to read the comic]... Damn.  That was good.  The backup story was good too.  What a gut punch.  You win Perry.  I'm in.

Black Order #3 - I like everything about this but especially the art.  Who knew the Black Order could be so much fun to read?  And next issue vs Nova - Richard Ryder?  Oh yeah.  Cosmic Gold.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 02:05:03 PM »

Well I'm happy you like Friendly (I think it is the best "Peter" in years) but didn't see you enjoying Black Order! Ha, that is cool that you like it, of course, I found it too comedic ... if I remember right. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think I was in the mood for more evil destruction, reign of terror with dark brooding and when I started to laugh at a couple things I realized I wasn't enjoying it. I know that sounds weird, it made me laugh, why do I dislike it? ... but that is how I remember it. Cheesy Cheesy

If I am wrong, if the first issue wasn't on the funny side (I don't mean like Deadpool type funny, but more that the Order seemed a little humorous between themselves) then man, I REALLY need to go back and read it asap  Undecided
Either way, it is good to know that it is done well enough that I can go back, when I am in a more happy place, Grin and read it.

Yeah, maybe I totally misread the issue  Undecided Darn it, now I am curious
 Grin Grin

EDIT - And are those the Dynamite issues of Warlord of Mars you are reading and enjoying? With that year it almost has to be, yeah? Hmmmm

EDIT 2 - And yep, I suggest you just stop reading all the X books for awhile, if you can. Rosenburg, a good writer, just lost all kinds of interest in the title once the Hickman stuff was announced and I can only assume, was forced to also take it a different way than originally planned as it really goes all to hell the more you go. I stopped and I was enjoying it early.
 Undecided

CRAP - EDIT 3 - *pant, pant*
And just to mess with ya, you said earlier, somewhere at sometime, that you were glad that that Infinity Countdown/War series was over so you don't have to read anymore, wellllll it continues in Wolverine and the Infinity Watch. Just so you know ... If you want to read that crap.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:11:47 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:21:32 PM »

And just to mess with ya, you said earlier, somewhere at sometime, that you were glad that that Infinity Countdown/War series was over so you don't have to read anymore, wellllll it continues in Wolverine and the Infinity Watch. Just so you know ... If you want to read that crap.
 Cheesy

Infinity Wars: Infinity #1 - I liked the story development with the prisoner.  But the cliff hanger leading to Wolverine: Infinity Watch made me roll my eyes.  This was the official end of the event and I'm done with it.

Grin Grin Grin

Of course this only reiterates how done I am with that thing.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 12:43:38 AM »

Cheesy

Infinity Wars: Infinity #1 - I liked the story development with the prisoner.  But the cliff hanger leading to Wolverine: Infinity Watch made me roll my eyes.  This was the official end of the event and I'm done with it.

Grin Grin Grin

Of course this only reiterates how done I am with that thing.   Cheesy

Man, I hated that idea so much I blocked out you even talking about it.
Hahahaha
Don't remember seeing that part
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 02:14:12 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70

Bone Parish 1
Bone Parish 2

DCeased 2
Deathstroke 44
Female Furies 2
Female Furies 3

Ice Cream Man 5
Ice Cream Man 6
Justice League Dark 10
Martian Manhunter 1

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Man Without Fear #1
Man Without Fear #2
Immortal Hulk #11

Uncanny X-Men #9
Thor #9
Black Order #3

Star Trek Archives   Vol. 1: Best of Peter David - While I will say these collected Star Trek stories were good, I seriously doubt the were the "Best of Peter David".  Of course I haven't read any of his other Star Trek issues but knowing what I know of his writing I'm betting there are better issues out there.  That being said, I'd reccomend this to any STOS fans out there.  It captures the times from the first movies and the stories are compelling.

Valerian   Vol. 1: The City of Shifting Waters - I flipped through this and said "Yeah, this isn't for me."  Didn't even read it.  I got it for free which is the only reason it was in my library.  But the art is not what I like to look at and it's very wordy.  Got better things to get through.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:43:20 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:47:54 AM »

Looks like I've moved along faster than I thought.  I'll add these for this weekend.

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 23
23   Warlord of Mars   #13   12/14/2011
23   Warlord of Mars   #14   12/28/2011
23   Warlord of Mars Annual   #1   2/1/2012
23   Warlord of Mars   #15   2/8/2012
23   Warlord of Mars   #16   3/8/2012
23   Warlord of Mars   #17   4/8/2012
23   Sheriff of Babylon (2015-2016)   Vol. 1: Bang. Bang. Bang.   7/19/2016

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS