HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:09:31 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 3, 2019  (Read 6436 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »

Warlord of Mars 1 - Off to an interesting start.  I haven’t read any of the WoM series nor did I see the movie.  This is all new for me.

Shocked Shocked
Dude, ya got to check out the movie!!
Sure it under-performed at the theater, sure it has its share of issues (I for one didn't like the way Carter was able to jump so high/far ... yes maybe accurate to the book, but it didn't look/feel right in the movie) and sure I will always show love for most "pulp" era stories and characters so I may not be the best judge, but it is a pretty decent flick. Way better than what people say.
Of course that is just my opinion.
 Grin
But I don't think I am alone ... right guys?
Guys ? ? ?

Fantastic Four 5 - And I’m out.  This issue was terrible.  Saved itself a little with Reeds “surprise” at the end but not enough.

And sadly, the next issue was even worse.
Glad you are able to leave, to get out and away from this crap ... wish I could.

I don’t know why Marvel has let this happen.  When they brought them back it should have been with a top tier writer and a top tier artist.  This is an embarrassment.

That is EXACTLY what it is. A damn shame is another phrase I would throw in there. THE Marvel title for so many years is now a "nothing" comic. Yes, its relevancy and time may have passed, but it doesn't deserve this. Not this. I would honestly, 100% truly, rather not have an FF book than go through this crap.

With that said, be sure to check out Mark Waid's Prodigal Son three issue mini when it hits the MU. 3 parts, 3 different titles. The first Prodigal Son: Fantastic Four was so much more of what the FF can still be. Even with Franklyin and Val being so much older now. True, it was a little too comedic, I could have used a little less humor in the book (even though it wasn't a "funny book" like Peter Porker or the like it was still a little too much with the volume of humor), but even still, it was so much better than what we have been forced to read (hahaha "forced"  Grin). I hope the next issue, Profigal Son: Silver Surfer, continues the FF momentum

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 05:46:01 AM »

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 20
20   Transmetropolitan   #58   7/17/2002
20   Transmetropolitan   #59   8/14/2002
20   Transmetropolitan   #60   9/25/2002

20   Sleeper Season Two   #7   12/22/2004
20   Sleeper Season Two   #8   1/26/2005
20   Sleeper Season Two   #9   2/23/2005
20   Sleeper Season Two   #10   3/23/2005
20   Sleeper Season Two   #11   4/27/2005
20   Sleeper Season Two   #12   5/25/2005

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 21
21   Warlord of Mars   #1   10/13/2010
21   Warlord of Mars   #2   11/13/2010
21   Warlord of Mars   #3   12/13/2010
21   Warlord of Mars   #4   2/9/2011
21   Warlord of Mars   #5   3/9/2011
21   Warlord of Mars   #6   4/9/2011
21   Star Trek Archives   Vol. 1: Best of Peter David (Collects 5 issues)  6/1/2016

ComiXolgy
Royal City 11
Royal City 12
Royal City 13

Royal City 14
Birthright 36
Black Hammer '45: From the World of Black Hammer 4
Black Hammer: Age of Doom 11

The World of Black Hammer Encyclopedia
The Walking Dead 192
Lois Lane 1
Criminal 5
Fallen World 2
ADD: The Walking Dead 193

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four 5
Uncanny X-Men 7
X-Force 1

==========

The World of Black Hammer Encyclopedia - nice compendium to keep all the characters straight.

Lois Lane 1 - Rucka is making Lois too smug for my taste. But I generally like his work so I’m on board for awhile.

Fallen World 2 - Not hating nor loving this so far.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 05:47:08 AM »

Vacation has been busy so looks like I’m just rolling these remaining comics over to next week.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »

Not a lot this week

Bone Parish #1
Bone Parish #2
Cullen Bunn's take on cocaine  Grin A family has found a way to grind the bones of the dead into a powerful hallucination giving drug where you see/live aspects of the dead person you are snorting, basically becoming them, in a dream state, for a time. Pretty cool. Book opens with this dude just singing in the middle of the street, going through all the motions and everything, then we are shown what he sees ... he is a famous rocker, whom is of course dead now, performing on stage. Also has some damn fine art. Good crime book and had a nice little twist to it at the end. Not a big twist, but one that I enjoyed.

FF: The Prodigal Sun #1 - A little too comedic, but still better than anything going on at FF proper
Immortal Hulk #20 - Still getting it done. Be aware. A sneaky last page after the letters column!!
Captain America and the Invaders #1 - Read this because it was written by Roy Thomas!! Nice to see a new story from him. Jerry Ordway on the art was also nice to see. The story was ... well ... Roy is still Roy  Grin I don't mean that as a knock, he did well bringing more of today's dialog style into his story, but you could sorta tell he wanted to go all 1970's.  Grin A fun book if you want to get that old school feel. Not THAT old, but just a tad.

Black Hammer: Age of Doom #11
The Wildstorm #24

EDIT - And Jeff, I feel the same way about Fallen World. It is only 4 issues so I am gonna stick with it, but yeah, not a good mini for me, so far at least.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:23:40 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS