HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:44:24 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 5, 2019  (Read 13389 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »

Got it.  Dang - even with my discount it was $8.50!   Shocked

Holy Crap ... brb

*rushes to see what the cover price was*

A $10 book  Shocked

Can you image, back when there were spinner racks and we were giddy about spending a buck or two and getting 4 to 8 comics, seeing that?
Now true, I guess it is the size of 4 comics, give or take, so that averages out to be about $2.50 per 20 pages, cheaper than the $3.99 for 22 pages, but still, again, can you imagine being 11 years old and seeing a book for $10? I don't there were trades for that price.
 Grin
Anyway, good book. But nothing is worth that much. Glad you got a deal, but I could have just told you what happened
 Grin
Nah, you had to see the Jimmy Olsen story.
OOKSTORE
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 08:54:35 PM »

I remember how devastated I was when my Dad wouldn't give me the $12 for a year subscription to the Flash = that's 12 issues!!

He might have had an aneurysm If I had wanted that for one book!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 10:14:05 PM »

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 15
15   Transmetropolitan   #31   2/29/2000
15   Transmetropolitan   #32   3/31/2000

15   Transmetropolitan: I Hate It Here   Vol 1   4/12/2000
15   Transmetropolitan   #33   4/30/2000
15   Transmetropolitan   #34   6/30/2000
15   Transmetropolitan   #35   7/31/2000

15   Fuse, The   Vol. 1: The Russia Shift   8/27/2014

ComiXolgy
Action Comics 1007
Action Comics 1008
Action Comics 1009
Action Comics 1010
Action Comics 1011

Batman & the Outsiders 1
Freedom Fighters 6
Black Hammer: Age of Doom 10
Ice Cream Man 1
Ice Cream Man 2
Ice Cream Man 3
Ice Cream Man 4

Marvel Unlimited
Return of Wolverine 1
Return of Wolverine 2
Return of Wolverine 3
Shatterstar 1
Shatterstar 2
Astonishing X-Men 16
Astonishing X-Men 17

Typhoid Fever: X-Men 1
Uncanny X-Men 1
Uncanny X-Men 2
Uncanny X-Men 3

Dead Man Logan 1

===============================

Transmetropolitan   #33, 34, & 35 - What do I think about this arc?  I think the last panel in issue 34 says it all.

Oh yeah.  He's had enough.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »

Man I am so glad that book holds up.

I will read it again someday, but have been scared to even look at it, thinking it would be so dated it isn't even funny. Glad it is still a good read!!!!!

I remember how devastated I was when my Dad wouldn't give me the $12 for a year subscription to the Flash = that's 12 issues!!

He might have had an aneurysm If I had wanted that for one book!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Let me know as soon as you read it!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:07 PM »

I will read it again someday, but have been scared to even look at it, thinking it would be so dated it isn't even funny. Glad it is still a good read!!!!!

If anything it is more relevant today than ever.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »

If anything it is more relevant today than ever.

HA!! Well sweet!! Ellis may be clairvoyant  Grin Or maybe it did a full circle  Grin

And hey, now I'm not trying to get you to read anything else, Jeff  Grin (or Jimmy for that matter  Grin), but do you still read JLDark? I know you used to read it, but I haven't recognized seeing it on your list lately. Maybe I just missed it, though. Let me know when ya can.

As for this week, I was able to finish pretty strong over the last two days and well into last night. Well "strong" for me anyway.  Grin

Dark Red #3 - Best issue of this Vampire tale yet. An origin tale set in WWII. I Love that era so that helped
DieDieDie #7
DieDieDie #8
- Finally made it to the end of the first run. It got a little crazy there at the end, ya know, the last 7 issues  Grin, but still, I enjoyed it and it had the ending that it had to have, yeah?

Superman Leviathan Rising Special #1 - Said enough about this already. Waiting on Jeff. "Oh Jeeeeeff"  Grin
Legion of Super Heroes #21
Legion of Super Heroes #22
Legion of Super Heroes #23
- Was reading this when the Bendis news hit *sigh* .... Nope. Think positive, Perry!!!
Detective Comics #1001
Detective Comics #1002
Detective Comics #1003
Detective Comics #1004
Detective Comics Annual #2
- Another of those "let's revise the past" type of stories that shows us stuff that I feel Batman should have known about. Ya know, like the whole Court of Owls thing?  Grin Still, it was fun ... or is fun as the story isn't over yet. Not sure this ... character ... will go down as anything more than a blip on the screen when all is said and done, and in-fact I hope they end/die in this arc so it is a send off they deserve. I just can't see this as a reoccurring character. I am not bashing the character, I do like them, but again, just best for one story I feel. And that is a good thing. Nothing wrong with that. I think Tomasi is doing a fine job and man, he does Damian so damn well. I also dig the art a lot.

Honestly, in regards to Bendis doing Legion ... after rereading Levitz older stuff many years later ... man, I think Bendis will be fine to have, at least for awhile. This stuff I am reading now ... it is pretty rough stuff. It has not aged well at all. There seems to be, essentially, about 5 forms of dialog that Levitz uses and he just switches what characters use the various forms each arc. Currently, Mon-El is portraying the hot head. Before that it seemed like Lightning Lass was playing the Wildfire character, being just bitchy. Before her, I think it was Shrinking Violet that was the Wildfire character. And I don't mean that they are just ... being abrasive or having a hard time, no, they literally take on the voice of Wildfire. We all know he is the "hothead" of the group, but man, it is like there is a new Wildfire every arc. There are more examples of other characters sounding like other characters, and I can't seem to think of any right now, of course, and perhaps as I was saying, perhaps that is the issue with having a large cast of characters ... they all start sounding like other characters, but I think it could be done better than this at least.

But heck, maybe it is just me? Maybe I just am having a hard time "right now" hearing the voice that is on the page? All I know is that I am having a hard time with the way Levitz dialogs these characters currently and sadly, Levitz IS these characters for most of the Legion's existence.

Maybe I will jump ahead a few years or maybe just start reading the Five Years Later Legion written by Levitz's cohort, Keith Giffen
 Undecided

Redneck #20

Freedom Fighters #6
Female Furies #5
DCeased #1
DCeased #2

Justice League #25
Justice League Dark #9 (reread)
Justice League Dark #10 (reread)
Justice League Dark #11

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 04:03:55 PM »

I started "The Fuse" but only got half way through it.  Going to roll it over to the new week.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS