HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:55:37 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 1, 2019  (Read 5622 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 01, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »

I'm going to focus on the Backlog Plan first, then try to catch up on all my current comics and throw in some from Marvel Unlimited.  Hopefully the comic Perry wants me to read is in there somewhere.

It's a big ask on my part, especially with a busy weekend coming up.  But I'm going to pump myself up and just do it!!

YELLOW = Leftover from last week

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 8
7   Sweet Tooth   Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods   11/12/2013 - Moved to Group 8
7   Nowhere Men   Vol. 1: Fates Worse Than Death   11/20/2013 - Moved to Group 8

8   Mister Miracle (1971-1978)   #13   4/4/1973
8   Mister Miracle (1971-1978)   #14   6/6/1973
8   Mister Miracle (1971-1978)   #15   9/5/1973
8   Mister Miracle (1971-1978)   #16   11/7/1973
8   Mister Miracle (1971-1978)   #17   1/2/1974
8   Mister Miracle (1971-1978)   #18   2/6/1974
8   Stumptown   Vol. 4   1/25/2014

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70
Black Hammer: Age of Doom 9
Black Science 39
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 5
Criminal 3
Deathstroke 43
Die 5 - Conclusion!
The Flash 69
Freedom Fighters 5
Heroes in Crisis 8
Isola 7
Justice League Dark 10
The Walkiing Dead 190

Marvel Unlimited
What If Karen Page Had Lived? 1
What if Aunt May Had Died instead of Uncle Ben? 1
What if? Daredevil vs Elektra 1
What if? X-Men 1
What if? The Punisher 1
What if? Ghost Rider 1
What if? Thor 1
Cosmic Ghost Rider 1
Cosmic Ghost Rider 2
Cosmic Ghost Rider 3
Cosmic Ghost Rider 4

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:22:19 PM »

Hopefully the comic Perry wants me to read is in there somewhere.

It is
 Smiley

Cosmic Ghost Rider 1
Cosmic Ghost Rider 2
Cosmic Ghost Rider 3
Cosmic Ghost Rider 4

My suggestion is save your time. Read this when you have a very slow week and still want to read it. Nothing like his Thanos appearance. in other words, nothing good. I stopped reading in fact, I couldn't get past issue #2.
But hey, maybe it got better?
At least save it for last
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »

Cosmic Ghost Rider 1
Cosmic Ghost Rider 2
Cosmic Ghost Rider 3
Cosmic Ghost Rider 4

My suggestion is save your time. Read this when you have a very slow week and still want to read it. Nothing like his Thanos appearance. in other words, nothing good. I stopped reading in fact, I couldn't get past issue #2.
But hey, maybe it got better?
At least save it for last
 Undecided

In that case I’ll skip it.  I wasn’t that interested to begin with plus I have plenty of things to get through.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »

I did forget to add one to last weeks list, so I will just hang it here as I only read one more before Tuesday's midnight deadline  Grin

From last week -
Electric Warriors #6 - Finale! Overall, liked this series. You really have to be in a "non-big two" frame of mind or at least realize how far in the future this series takes place (well after Kamandi). While I can't suggest this as a must read, due in no small part to what I just mentioned, I will say it was a decent journey. Worth a half price read? Well, maybe? I will say if it ever becomes one of those $5 trades, that you snatch it up!! A decent but overall, an average read. 

This weeks reads, so far -

Batman #68
Batman #69
- Flash interlude made this damn arc feel even longer, but i hear next issue is the end. Yay. Jesus!  Angry
Female Furies #3 - Each issue has declined my enjoyment, but going to finish. I think it will go out strong
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1 Another series I have never read, along with Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, so may as well try to get on board now, huh? This issue was almost a perfect mirror of what is going on in the current Batman title. While in the later, Bats is
drugged and stuck in a nightmare he can't awake from,
here
Bats is drugged and trapped in Arkham
Grin
I liked the first issue a lot!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 01:21:09 AM »

7   Nowhere Men   Vol. 1: Fates Worse Than Death   11/20/2013 - Moved to Group 8

ComiXolgy
Batman 69
Batman 70
Black Science 39
Criminal 3
Deathstroke 43
Die 5 - Conclusion!
The Flash 69
Freedom Fighters 5
Heroes in Crisis 8
Isola 7
Justice League Dark 10
The Walkiing Dead 190

Marvel Unlimited
What if? X-Men 1
What if? The Punisher 1
What if? Ghost Rider 1
What if? Thor 1

========================================

Sweet Tooth   Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods - Damn you Jeff Lemire!  Sucked me into another one of his series.  This was way out there.  And I love it.  I get the feeling it's going to give me hope for the characters and then end in tragedy.  The ending of this first volume certainly wrenched the heart out of me.

Nowhere Men   Vol. 1: Fates Worse Than Death - Oh wow!  I really like this trade. It collects issues 1-6.  Big brain scientists as popular as the Beatles with all that sixties attitude.  Then jump into the future and see what they did with all of that "we're better than the man" attitude.  Good story.  Sadly it looks like they only made 5 more issues.  Am I going to get to the end only to find out they never finished it?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:29:15 AM »

Seems like I am getting in "publisher" moods lately

Batman #68
Batman #69

Female Furies #3
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1

X-O Manowar #21 - I love Juan Jose Ryp. His detail is so much like the great Jeff Darrow (Shaolin Cowboy)
Punk Mambo #1 - Nice first issue. I think this is going to be a fun, voodoo ride
Livewire #5 - Don't know why I always shy away from this title. I read it. I enjoy it. Everytime
Incursion #3 - This Eternal Warrior mini continues and we are closer to the final battle!!
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #1
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #2
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #3

Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #4 - And I'm out. The first issue was solid enough. Pretty good actually, but this art is getting worse and worse each issue. Just hard for me to read when they are getting this kind of art (what I was originally scared of when Valiant switched hands) and then they can't even finish one issue. We are getting two different bad artists on this title now? Nope. I will wait for the Tim Seely Bloodshot title coming around the corner and let this 7 issue run, or at least that it was I think it is, die on the vine (no, not X-O's "Vine")
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:07:10 PM »

I have about 66 books in my Marvel Unlimited.

As I posted in 'Endgame' , my thoughts are this; can a Marvel book still make me feel about the characters the way the movie did? Yes, I'm setting myself up for failure, and even on purpose, because I'm so in love with the movie, and ambivalent about the comics, So what did I do?

Read Slott's Iron Man 3 & 4, and Coates Captain America 3 & 4?

Yeah...doesn't really hold a candle to the movie love I have for those actors currently! But, it's not all terrible, although, Slott's IM is really...NOT what I want to read from Iron Man currently...although the question he had Tony ask recently; "I saved a copy of my own brain and rebooted myself, as well as reconstruct my own body cell by cell into a new one...do I still have a soul of Tony Stark?" That's a hard, great question!

I've also caught up on reading Old Man Logan, Amazing Spider-man, Thor (damn you Del Mundo art!)and Infinity Wars (I am NOT reading any of the tie-ins; nothing about those seem interesting IN THE SLIGHTEST).

Fantastic Four I've only read issue 1, but am putting off the second issue until Marvel 2 in 1 is completed. X-men and X--termination is all sitting there waiting for me to start. Got to start on the second arc of Avengers.

So yeah, ...do I go DC digital?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 10:29:32 PM »

So yeah, ...do I go DC digital?

YES !!!!

I started reading the late 80's early 90's Batman stuff that I never read (that Legend of the Dark Knight and the Shadow of the Bat series ... not to mention peaking in on some Outsiders) plus they are throwing up Legion comics now. As well as a bunch of Hawkman and Shazam series ... including that Shazam series you just bought on comixology  Lips sealed

The time is now, sir!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 04:32:22 AM »

ComiXolgy
Black Science 39
Criminal 3
Die 5 - Conclusion!
Isola 7
The Walkiing Dead 190

Marvel Unlimited
What if? X-Men 1
What if? The Punisher 1
What if? Ghost Rider 1
What if? Thor 1

I took a guess at what I thought Perry was waiting for me to read and read it.  I feel confident I hit the nail on the head.

Heroes in Crisis 8 - I will read issue 9, the finale, to see if they backtrack on this, even though I know they won’t.  I will begin fulfilling my promise now.

Not going to read any of these as they are DC Comics.
Batman 69
Batman 70
Deathstroke 43
The Flash 69
Freedom Fighters 5
Justice League Dark 10

I will be deleting a lot of stuff off of “The Plan” as well when I get a chance.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »

Spoilers for Heroes #8 all over this post ... stay away ...

Well, you did certainly nail the issue I was referring to, although I hope you reconsider your stance. Things relating to comics, especially those said in frustration, are hardly held as promises to be kept and certainly not overly accountable. I am reading Amazing Spider-Man after all
 Cheesy

Although if this stays the course, and yeah, I have to admit I am totally not on board with it either (and I get the importance of showing the mental health side of things, truly) I would be shocked. Sure, he is a murderer now, but it is only a matter of time before it is revealed that this Wally was an Earth 89,957 Wally, even though there are only 52 ... 53 ... 54? Universes right now  Grin or some other form of writer switch. I just don't see the long term benefit to this ... other than two things of course.

1 - The one story arc I heard was coming
Flash Family vs the Reverse Flash Family
and I am not a fan of having Wally involved in THAT either. They are just destroying this guys character. And again, yes, I get the mental stress thing he just went through, but even what he did there is different than going full bore against his non-blood Family. But then again, if Hal can become a murderer ....

2 - I hear that Dan Didio is not a uber fan of some of the legacy characters, so maybe this is on him, but either way, just know that the main issue, as I see it, is they already have a Wally West they are pushing and while I totally get, 100%, WHY they did it, I just still don't agree with them. Just make another character "Kid Flash, with a different name!!

But no, the new 52's last and greatest error is now cannon, so with too many Wallys, one of them has to go. And it can't be the guy they just created.
 Angry

And again, I can't stress how much I get what King was doing here. How the loss of loved ones can take such a dramatic toll on one's mind ... and heart. How even heroes can be destroyed by overwhelming toll of death. But these characters are not just heroes, they are not us. They are Super. And as such they have to ... HAVE TO be able to overcome the things we can not.

And speaking of mental issues ... by tomorrow, don't be surprised, but I may have the opposite stance on this.  Grin

Bottom line, yeah, protest away. Stop reading Flash again (it isn't that good to begin with) but don't let them force you to give up comics you really enjoy like Deathstroke just because they screwed up.
Screw 'em.
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »

Yup I read the posts here. I had a fear that this would be true... And utterly f***ing stupid.

I.. May drop DC comics and go to the digital then.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »

I also dropped all of these from my Wish List.  Won't be buying them now.

Action Comics (2016-)   #1007
Action Comics (2016-)   #1008
Action Comics (2016-)   #1009
Action Comics (2016-)   #1010
Action Comics (2016-)   #1011
Batman & the Outsiders   #1
Detective Comics   #1001
Detective Comics   #1002
Detective Comics   #1003
Detective Comics   #1004
Detective Comics Annual   #2
Martian Manhunter   #1
Martian Manhunter   #2
Martian Manhunter   #3
Martian Manhunter   #4
Wild Storm, The   #19
Wild Storm, The   #20
Wild Storm, The   #21
Wild Storm, The   #22

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »

2 - I hear that Dan Didio is not a uber fan of some of the legacy characters, so maybe this is on him, but either way, just know that the main issue, as I see it, is they already have a Wally West they are pushing and while I totally get, 100%, WHY they did it, I just still don't agree with them. Just make another character "Kid Flash, with a different name!!

This is a big reason why I'm done with DC.  I doubt I'll be back until Didio is gone.  The New Teen Titans was my favorite book growing up because it showed the sidekick heroes growing out of their elder's shadows.  Wally grew so much that he was able to take over as the Flash when Barry Allen died.  Dan Didio has from the day he started been trying to do away with the Titans.  He wanted to kill Dick Grayson.  He got rid of Wally.  He finally brought him back probably from fan pressure but only to do this?  Slap in the face of the fans and not true to this character.  Not to mention the death toll was largely Titans.

But these characters are not just heroes, they are not us. They are Super. And as such they have to ... HAVE TO be able to overcome the things we can not.

Yes! That is exactly how I feel.  These characters are supposed to be something to aspire to.  They take one of the best and make him worse than any character he fought against?  No.  I won't accept that.

This is a good article that I can relate to:
https://www.cbr.com/heroes-in-crisis-reveal-wally-west-betrays-superhero-concept/

I know myself well enough to know I could make exceptions - for example if they spin the Legion back up it would be hard not to check it out.  Or I may finish out Doomsday Clock at some point.  But as for right now, I can't read anymore DC.  Maybe not ever.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:20:22 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 02:00:10 AM »

ComiXolgy
Black Science 39
Criminal 3
Die 5 - Conclusion!
Isola 7
The Walkiing Dead 190

Marvel Unlimited
What if? X-Men 1
What if? The Punisher 1
What if? Ghost Rider 1
What if? Thor 1

Black Hammer: Age of Doom 9 - And the tables are starting to turn.  Hopefully we'll be getting some answers as to what is going on soon.

Die 5 - I think I grew bored with this series.  It's a great premise but it's missing something storywise.  Can't put my finger on what though....

Criminal 3 - More greatness from Brubaker and Philips.  And we FINALLY get to see....
Ricky Lawless!!

Isola 7 - I could just look at the art and not read a thing and I would still enjoy this comic.  Bit of a sad ending on this one even when you think your doing the right thing. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:35:58 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »

Hey Jeff, with DC doing the all digital stuff now, I don't blame you for not buying DC from now on regardless
 Grin

As for my comic reading this week, I knocked out a few last night and a bunch this morning. Sitting with a sick puppy and no internet for a few hours (putting in a new hub from what I hear) gave me plenty of reading time!!!

Black Hammer '45 #3 - I know Jeff isn't a fan of the art, and I understand why, but I still enjoy this.
X-O Manowar #22
X-O Manowar #23
X-O Manowar #24
X-O Manowar #25
X-O Manowar #26
- Damn... as much as I enjoyed this last arc, and the one prior, this last issue seemed really rushed. Almost like they should have had an issue #27. Oh well, looking forward to the next series.

Avengers #18 - Think I am done with this title until the art changes. I just don't enjoy it.
Avengers: No Way Home #5
Avengers: No Way Home #6
Avengers: No Way Home #7
Avengers: No Way Home #8
Avengers: No Way Home #9
Avengers: No Way Home #10
- Had to finish this to find out how Conan came to this timeline so I could read ...
Savage Avengers #1 - Love Deodato, but this looked odd. Story wise? Nope. Garbage! I'm out!
Star Wars Age of Rebellion Special #1 - Decent. The title was misleading though. Nothing "special" here
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge #1 - This is nothing but MU fodder. I mean, for a Star Wars story it is okay, I guess, but nothing I am going to read in floppy.

I did enjoy the No Way Home title, for the most part, even though it is almost exactly the same as the last weekly 10 issue Avengers story (including finding "pieces") but I still think having Conan in this timeline is so dumb. ow the hell are they even talking to him? He speaks English?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS