HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:57:30 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How many books is Bendis writing?  (Read 3806 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »

I am not pleased.

Bendis no longer, to me, has the ability to be the company's architect for artistic direction. This is seriously off-putting for me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »

Just because he’s writing a lot of books?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »

Okay determining the Superman landscape is big enough for me.  Wink

I don't like DC kowtowing to him on Superman, rewriting Young Justice characters, bringing all his imprint books along to their publishing. That's such a favoritism,I understand why other Marvel writers left when they didn't get the same treatment.

Plus he writes the 80 page Giants. Plus he started whatever new book Melinda or whatever.

Plus I'm just whining.

Also is he the guy leading to the next event for DC? This I think I'm wrong on.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »

The number of books doesn't bother me as long as the quality is there.  He must be doing something right - I mean, My Gawd! - PERRY IS READING SUPERMAN!  That doesn't even sound right when I type it.

From a business standpoint you have to imagine they had to pay a top salary to woo him away from Marvel.  If your paying him more money, your expectation of output would be higher than the average writer.  He needs to make a lot of sales to cover his salary.  I don't have any inside baseball knowledge - I'm just speculating.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 10:24:10 PM »

Yeah, fingers crossed it pays off for them
But I don't touch his books with a 10 foot pole.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »

I couldn't imagine having a writer I don't like to read being the/a head writer for a company, and I damn sure couldn't imagine having that said writer be the writer on my favorite character's title (or both titles  Wink) so I can't truly empathize in great detail.

I am pretty lucky in there are only two writers that I truly, truly ... don't enjoy. Guggenheim and Hurwitz. I have never liked that Guggeniem's stuff and Hurwitz (while surprising me on his Moon Knight run) is a very close second. However, I don't see then ever coming back to be a major force in comics so I think I am safe.

As for Bendis, for me, eh, he is what he is. A great writer on solo created characters, a hit or miss writer on other solo character stuff and not a very good team book writer as-
A - He tries to force conflict. Hey you do need conflict, but not forced. Not taking a character and twist them around out of character JUST to have conflict IE: Captain Marvel in Civl War II
B- He has to have at least two Spider-Man style voiced character on every issue. Not just team, but each issue. If he doesn't have Spider-Man to make the Spider-Man style remarks, he will make Iron Fist make them. If he doesn't have Iron Fist in that issue, he will have Dr. Strange make them. Dr. Strange?

He does have his tropes (more than I am listing here of course), but all I can say is when he hits, he hits big. Again, for me.
While I am now off his Superman title, the title we all agreed was the lesser of the two Supes titles from the start, his Action Comics run is still very much enjoyable to me. Even if he gets the voices wrong to my ear every now and then. That is the great thing about being a non-Superman fan, I don't get to upset at the thought of Jimmy Olsen making a joke(?) about banging Talia Al Ghul for example. I can just sit back and enjoy a comic that is pleasing me to read.

And while I am not a fan of his Young Justice, that Niomi title started off pretty damn good
 Smiley

Again, hit or miss for me.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS