HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:24:52 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 27, 2019  (Read 4135 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 27, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »

Feels like I'll never get caught up......

YELLOW = Leftover from last week...

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & The Wasp 6
Immortal Hulk 5
Immortal Hulk 6
Thor 5
Quicksilver No Surrender 5
Avengers 7
Avengers 8
West Coast Avengers 2
Infinity Wars 3
Infinity Wars:  Soldier Supreme 1
Asguardians of the Galaxy 1
Fantastic Four 2

ComiXology
The Wild Storm Vol 3 - Collects issues 13-18
Teen Titans 28 (Deathstroke Crossover)
Freedom Fighters 4
Heroes In Crisis 7
The Flash 67
Detective Comics 1000
East of West 41
Black Hammer Age of Doom 8
Die!Die!Die! 8
Wicked+Divine 42

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 5
4   Dreadstar   The Beginning - TPB   5/5/2010 - Moved to Group 5
5   Teen Titans (1966-1978)   #19   1/1/1969
5   Teen Titans (1966-1978)   #20   3/5/1969
5   Teen Titans (1966-1978)   #21   5/7/1969
5   Teen Titans (1966-1978)   #22   7/2/1969
5   Stumptown   Vol. 1   2/28/2011
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:42:38 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 08:43:11 PM »

Edited above to include these that I forgot:
Die!Die!Die! 8
Wicked+Divine 42

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 02:05:37 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & The Wasp 6
Immortal Hulk 5
Immortal Hulk 6
Thor 5
Avengers 7
Avengers 8
West Coast Avengers 2
Infinity Wars 3
Fantastic Four 2

ComiXology

Freedom Fighters 4
Heroes In Crisis 7
The Flash 67
Detective Comics 1000
East of West 41
Die!Die!Die! 8
Wicked+Divine 42

======================================

The Wild Storm Vol 3 - Collects issues 13-18 - Man I love this series.  I love how it has incorporated all the teams from the old Wildstorm universe.  Can't wait to see some of the teases in this volume payoff. 
Apollo/Midnighter

Teen Titans 28 (Deathstroke Crossover) - Wow.  I really liked this.  I'll be honest, when I first saw this version of the Teen Titans I rolled my eyes.  But as I read the comic I started getting interested in the characters.  This might actually be worth picking up after this crossover.  One thing I really liked that was for us old guys - the Wolfman/Perez fans - happens when Deathstroke
sees two familiar faces playing chess and he acknowledges them by tipping his hat and saying "Marv.  George." 
.  LOVED THAT!   Cheesy
And what Slade says to Damien at the end will have you looking forward to part two coming up in next weeks Deathstroke.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »

Was finally able to hit the shop today  Angry
But that did let me focus on a few issues that were just hanging around here  Grin

Jeff, as far as the Titans comic, glad to hear it is good. I still have to catch up on Deathstroke so it will take me awhile to get to that point, but at least I now know to go ahead and grab the Teen Titans tie in issues. Or at least the first one  Grin
I did grab missing issues from Valiant's Bloodshot and Livewire series today. After reading the first two issue of Incursion it kinda has me pumped up again, so giving those two a shot.

Flash #47
Flash #48
Flash #49
- An okay arc although Wally's (original Wally) voice seems a tad "off". Even still, much more enjoyable art.

Justice League Dark #9 - Now THIS is what I've been waiting for!!!! Excellent issue. Now we got something!
Action Comics #1009 - Now THIS ... had me scared. At first, I really didn't like what happened at the end of this issue (which I was spoiled by with a Bleeding Cool article  Roll Eyes) but after thinking about it, I kinda like it. I have no idea why, maybe because it is SO Silver Age that it makes me smile, now, well after seeing it, or maybe because I was wondering what Jimmy would've had thought it about it, but either way, yeah, I dig it.
 Grin

I am most certainly getting through (hopefully) most of these this week (especially the first two listed  Wink)-

BH: Age of Doom #9
Isola #7
Criminal #1
Ice Cream Man #11
The Goon #1
Detective COmics #1000
Flash #50
Freedom Fighters #4
The Batman Who Laughs #1
Wildstorm #21

Some Marvel, maybe, and hopefully hitting some of the recent, yet backlogged Valiant issues-

Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #1
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #2
Livewire #1
Livewire #2
Forgotten Queen #1
Forgotten Queen #2
X-O Manowar #21
X-O Manowar #22

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »

Got a few more in over the weekend! Including ones that are on my list for this week. Yay for me  Cheesy I did change my mind when I picked up Detective to give it a go. Felt like knocking it out early but realized with its size I could either knock out that issue or I could knock out more issues of other titles by the time I could read that one.
So I put it back down, for now. Haha. I will get back to it later in the week hopefully
 Grin

BH: Age of Doom #9 - Okay, BH is back, baby! If I am honest, this title had been a little lack luster lately, kinda. It was still enjoyable, but it was almost like Lemire didn't know what to do next, but now we got something going that will hopefully get the BH juices going again.
Ewwww
 Grin
Now this issue didn't blow me away, very little happened in fact, but it did show that we now have a reason for this title to be a title. There is once again a goal we are heading towards. Something I think was missing after the reveal of them being ... well ... you know. (At least Jeff knows that is.  Cheesy What is wrong with you guys? Read Black Hammer!!  Grin Cool

Isola #7 - Man I love this book but it is just not worth reading in single issue form. There is so little that happens in each issue, just because the way the story is being told (which is nice), that reading this title once every two months (as it is now being published every two months) is just too heartbreaking. I just get "into" the story and it is over, leaving me to wait for another 60 days to read more? No. I can do it no longer. Reading this only in collected format now. One trade a year is better that this current method.
Still ... love this book and I can guarantee this will be a movie/animated feature sometime in the future

Ice Cream Man #11 - Ha, this title. It is like watching an episode of Twilight Zone. So good and has a nice creepy edge to it. Just the right amount of visual pleasure with scripted horror.

The Goon #1 - Yeah, I had to try this title again. Sure it is the Goon. Sure it is written by Eric Powell. And that is the problem. It is just the same thing over and over and over again. Always has been and, now after reading this "newest" attempt at a relaunch, it seems it always will be. Sad to see. I want to see more than just occurrences over and over. Cry

Wildstorm #21 - Ellis has moments where he tells a fulfilling story visually with very little to no dialog or caption work on the issue. He does this from time to time. He also, sometimes, and rarely in-fact, writes a lot while not having a fulfilling issue. This is one of those issues. It was just okay, but almost seemed filler to me. Still moves things forward, but ... meh. But I have faith this series will return to glory in the final three issues!

The Batman Who Laughs #1 - A few months late on getting to this. I am just not a fan of this guy. Yeah, he's cool as an "aspect" of a Batman story, but as a character? Bah. That said, this issue was pretty decent. Although Bruce yelled at Alfred waaaay to much in this issue. What the hell, Bruce? Also, this issue does possibly show how Snyder is going to work out the "three Jokers" thing he had been working on in Batman ... or at least I think this does. It is ... well ... it is something that is for sure
It seems the Joker has (either by his own action or by ... birth?) a toxin in his heart that releases when he is killed, turning the person who killed him into "the next Joker"
Ya know, that old chesnut
 Shocked
Just not sure how I feel about that one Roll Eyes

Flash #67 - Yeah, I'm diggin' on Flash again. Who, by the way, looks so much better shown this way, without 8,458 lightning bolts around him at all times. I only have one small complaint about this issue. As much as I rag on DC for not giving me a "recap" page, this issue does its own little recap, semi-spoiling what happens in the back issues I am just now trying to read  Angry
 Grin
Making these, and the preceding issues I will try to read to get caught up, a little less than shocking.  Cheesy That's okay, I really, really, really don't like Wally's (original) voice in the past few back issues anyway. Just seems odd in my head. But yeah, also knocked out these two -
Flash #50
Flash #51

Forgotten Queen #1
Forgotten Queen #2
- Just forget about this miniseries, guys. This is one of those rare Valiant missteps. While the art isn't all that bad, the writing is not all that good. I am sure we may see this character again down the line, but just skip this solo series of her and deal with her when/if she shows up. This is what was scaring me about the Valiant direction a few months back. This writer is just not for me.

(Not on the list)
Fantastic Four #8 - I do love this premise, but this writing is just killing me. Slowly. Ending was cool, yet totally stupid as well. Yeah, I am a fickle beast. The art change, about halfway through the book, didn't help matters much.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #4 - No complaints about the art in this puppy. THIS is the book to read when it hits the ole MU guys. This is classic Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. (back when his art looked more like his poppa ... Oh how I miss that art!) type of Spidey comics. This is great stuff. Can I get this team on my Fantastic Four book please?

Criminal #1
Detective COmics #1000
Freedom Fighters #4
Livewire #1
Livewire #2
X-O Manowar #21
X-O Manowar #22

Flash #47
Flash #48
Flash #49

Justice League Dark #9
Action Comics #1009

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »

Man is my backlog going to grow.  I haven't read a thing since I last posted.   Shocked

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 01:26:23 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & The Wasp 6
Immortal Hulk 5
Immortal Hulk 6
Thor 5
Avengers 7
Avengers 8
West Coast Avengers 2
Infinity Wars 3
Fantastic Four 2

ComiXology

Freedom Fighters 4
Heroes In Crisis 7

The Flash 67
Detective Comics 1000
East of West 41
Die!Die!Die! 8
Wicked+Divine 42

======================================

Moving at a snails pace but here's two more down.

Freedom Fighters 4 - Still ramping up the team but the moment we've been waiting for has arrived.  I'm still enjoying this.

Heroes In Crisis 7 - If this winds up with
Wally as the killer
  I may be done with DC Comics.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »

Heroes In Crisis 7 - If this winds up with
Wally as the killer
  I may be done with DC Comics.

Trying to quote that without spoiling what it says was fun (as when you hit quote, the spoiler cover disappears!!!  Angry) but I think I pulled it off. I saw a name, but nothing about what that name is doing or done or said or ... anyway ... Man, I am trying to hold off on reading this until a week before the last issue is set to hit, but Jeff is making it hard with that statement above.

Something that could make Jeff walk from DC? That doesn't sound good and I hope it isn't what he thinks it is. But damn, it is making me want to read this NOW!!
 Cheesy

Knocked out a few more. I made great progress this week, I can only assume it is because Jeff is slowing down this week.
 Cheesy

Livewire #1
Livewire #2
Livewire #3
- Well I like what they are doing here. Everything you do has consequences and sometimes an "I had no choice" moment makes you seem like a villain, if you're not careful

Red Sonja #2 - Sonja showing how smart she is here in this issue. Ha, a fun little barbarian tale.
Umbrella Academy #6 - Wow, so many new characters! Can't wait for an annotated breakdown of this.
Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt #3 - Man, I am not a fan of Dynamite Publishing, usually, but with both Sonja and this title, that company is showing it actually can put out some good stuff and not just survive on Cover Variants as income. An exceptional title is what this is. Kerion Gillen doing what he does!!!

Fantastic Four #8
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #4

Criminal #1
Detective COmics #1000
Freedom Fighters #4
X-O Manowar #21
X-O Manowar #22
BH: Age of Doom #9
Isola #7
Ice Cream Man #11
The Goon #1
Forgotten Queen #1
Forgotten Queen #2

Flash #47
Flash #48
Flash #49

Flash #50
Flash #51

Flash #67
Wildstorm #21
The Batman Who Laughs #1
Justice League Dark #9
Action Comics #1009

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »

I have a big list of Marvel stuff from unlimited that I can discuss, but I also have a big list of stuff on Marvel I've yet to read. I just don't have the list with me to put it online yet!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS