HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:47:22 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 30, 2019  (Read 7381 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 04:45:47 AM »

Bloodshot Rising Spirit 2 - Thumbs up

Great to hear this.
Hope they rebound for me

It’s not as great as the previous arcs but I’m enjoying the origin story.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 10:40:37 AM »

It’s not as great as the previous arcs but I’m enjoying the origin story.

Okay, cool. Keep me posted? I am thinking I was going to pull away from Valiant as their recent 'We are not going to work on publishing new characters, but concentrate instead on movies' style of editorial process, not to mention the fact they lost a lot of great talent, but then I see they are now having a new Eternal Warrior series written by Vendetti, so that is decent news at least.
*fingers crossed*

Only was able to get a couple more in yesterday to finish the week -

Detective Comics #995
Detective Comics #996
Detective Comics #997

Freedom Fighters #2
Justice League Dark #7
The Terrifics #5
Aquaman #44
Supergirl #26
Batman #62
Batman #63

Man Without Fear #4
Man Without Fear #5

Captain America #1
Captain America #2
Captain America #3

Amazing Spider-Man #14
Captain America #4
Captain America #5
Captain America #6   

Captain America #7 - The repercussions from Hydra Cap continue and he just got jammed  Smiley
Age of X-Man Alpha #1 - Make no mistake about it, I had no intention nor desire to read this but was absolutely forced to do so, although I was kicking and screaming the entire way. See, I can appreciate the Age of Apocalypse story, but I was out of comics at that time, certainly away from X-Men even prior to that, and so I never "felt" the way that most people did about that event. I understand its importance and I do enjoy, mostly, the impact that it had and the stories it contained (as far as the plots go), but I know I would have loathed it if I had read it at the time of its release (the art alone!!), so I just rolled my eyes when I heard Marvel was going that way again, but in reverse and now with Nate Grey. A character I just don't give a *BEEP* about.  Grin But man, once again, I am happy someone else "made me do it".
I say that still not knowing why I feel that way. I mean this issue does little more than introduce us, in a cool fashion, to the five or six mini's that are being published starting today, but something in it hit me. I didn't want to like this. I didn't think I could. But I did. It is NOT a powerhouse issue. Nothing amazing happens. It is just a good issue #1
That art sure didn't hurt. Very clean, and very much in the appeal that Maquire has for me. That style, ya know? Not a lot of texture shading or musculature outlining and not filled with crosshatching, but just clean art. Not lacking in style (like a lot of Dynamite/Zenoscope comics), just clean freaking art.
I say give it a shot when it hits the MU, it may just get you excited like it did me.
Of course Uncanny starts today as well (sure it is really issue #11 but it is Rosenburg's first solo issue so sorta like a number one) and man do I hope that issue doesn't bring my fresh, under 24 hours, X-Men love back down to Earth.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »

Re-Reading:
Fell Vol 1: Feral City (Collects Fell issues 1-8) - Finished first issues 1 & 2 Tuesday night.  
Criminal Vol 3: The Dead and the Dying  (Collects Criminal 2nd Series 1-3)

Marvel Unlimited
Hunt for Wolverine:  Mystery in Madripoor 3
Infinity Countdown: Champions 1
Infinity Countdown: Champions 2
Infinity Countdown: Black Widow 1
Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk 3
Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk 4

Infinity Countdown 5
Infinity Wars Prime 1
ADD:  Infinity Wars 1
Star Wars: Lando Double or Nothing 2
Star Wars: Lando Double or Nothing 3
Doctor Aphra 21
Doctor Aphra 22

DC Universe - Gonna get that Legion fix in somehow!
Secret Origins (1986-) 8 "Shadow Lass"
Secret Origins (1986-) 25 "The Legion of Super-Heroes"
Secret Origins (1986-) 37 "The Legion of Substitute Heroes"

JLA:  Another Nail 1
JLA:  Another Nail 2
JLA:  Another Nail 3 - Legion of Super-Heroes appearance

ComiXology
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 2
Heroes in Crisis 5
Die!Die!Die! 6
X-O Manowar 22
The Wildstorm: Michael Cray TPB Vol 2 (Collects issues 6-12)

Grant Morrison's 18 Days TPB

The Wildstorm: Michael Cray TPB Vol 2 - This was really good.  I enjoyed the plot of Cray going after traditional DC heroes who are evil in his world.  Nice wrap up to the series.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 01:36:06 AM »

Perry
-

I LOVED Age of Apocalypse! I ordered all the #1s from a mail order company that used to advertise within the comics! For me, I had been collecting plenty by then-all the Spider-mans, Batmans, Supermans, Robins, Superboy, etc, but X-men scared me off. There was 9 titles, I didn't know anybody beyond the cartoon figures, but this event let me jump in like anyone else to see what was going on! I got to be onboard with everyone else!

And the art? LOVED IT!! Adam and Andy Kubert in some of their best (I argue Andy was better, and that his stuff has aged better than Adam's), JOE MADUIERIA CRAZE, Steve Epting, STEVE SKROCE ON X-MAN, Chris Bachalo in an instance I really liked, Roger Cruz on Gambit & Xternals, Salvador Larocca, Tony Daniel!!, Carlos Pacheco; man, WHAT an event!!

Got me fully into X books for years and years after that, I tell you.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »

Grin

I can see you do love it  Cool You know, that X-Men Cartoon was responsible for a lot of comic fans coming onto X-Men, wouldn't that be cool if it still worked that way?

I only visited AoA well after it was published, again, as I was away from the medium due to art direction from the comics industry as a whole, and when I did try and "dip my toes" into Age right when I returned, the first couple images I must have seen were those from the likes of Madura, Cruz and Skroce and all that style did was confirm that this was just not the art for me.  Heck, even the Steve Epting pages I remember seeing did little to nothing for me, and I love that guy's stuff. No, that over the top style, while not as muscular obtrusive as say Stephen Platt was at the time, was still a little to ... big(?) for me. It all looked cool for a video game, but I didn't want it in my comics.
 Cheesy
Snotty little shit I was .... am
 Cheesy Cheesy

Now I have since grown a little deeper and my appreciation for that style, and I enjoy the look of say the Bachelo and even a little Madura here and there (That one Inhumans mini back a few years ago), but yeah, that bold stuff was just not for me.

And I like the Kubert that is currently at DC more than the other, by a good margin. Although I always forget who that is  Grin Grin Grin ... Andy? I think? Although the other isn't terrible, I think the DC Kubert has more of what my eye enjoys. Yeah, that's Andy, right?
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS