HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:27:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 30, 2019  (Read 7382 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 30, 2019, 04:07:47 AM »

2019 is 1/12th over!!

And here's how I'll finish out the month...

Re-Reading:
Fell Vol 1: Feral City (Collects Fell issues 1-8) - Finished first issues 1 & 2 Tuesday night.  
Criminal Vol 3: The Dead and the Dying  (Collects Criminal 2nd Series 1-3)

Marvel Unlimited
Hunt for Wolverine:  Mystery in Madripoor 3
Infinity Countdown: Champions 1
Infinity Countdown: Champions 2
Infinity Countdown: Black Widow 1
Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk 3
Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk 4
Infinity Countdown 5
Infinity Wars Prime 1
Star Wars: Lando Double or Nothing 2
Star Wars: Lando Double or Nothing 3
Doctor Aphra 21
Doctor Aphra 22

DC Universe - Gonna get that Legion fix in somehow!
Secret Origins (1986-) 8 "Shadow Lass"
Secret Origins (1986-) 25 "The Legion of Super-Heroes"
Secret Origins (1986-) 37 "The Legion of Substitute Heroes"
JLA:  Another Nail 1
JLA:  Another Nail 2
JLA:  Another Nail 3 - Legion of Super-Heroes appearance

ComiXology
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 2
Heroes in Crisis 5
Die!Die!Die! 6
X-O Manowar 22
The Wildstorm: Michael Cray TPB Vol 2 (Collects issues 6-12)
Grant Morrison's 18 Days TPB

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:11:07 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »

The report finally hit that the amount of comics on the site will soon "Double". That is cool and may be enough to gt me back, but damn I wish they would just do the MU thing and get it over with. Stop playing around and give the comic readers what they want and are willing to pay for
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »

The report finally hit that the amount of comics on the site will soon "Double". That is cool and may be enough to gt me back, but damn I wish they would just do the MU thing and get it over with. Stop playing around and give the comic readers what they want and are willing to pay for
 Angry

Hopefully they'll add some Legion of SH in there.  Right now the pickin's are slim.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:19:10 AM »

Re-Reading:
Fell Vol 1: Feral City (Collects Fell issues 1-8) - Finished first issues 1 & 2 Tuesday night.  

Marvel Unlimited
Infinity Countdown 5
Infinity Wars Prime 1
Doctor Aphra 21
Doctor Aphra 22

ComiXology
Heroes in Crisis 5
Die!Die!Die! 6
X-O Manowar 22

Fell Vol 1: Feral City  - Man I love this book.  I think its the third time I've read it and I see how it does kind of wrap up.  That's too bad because I think there are a lot of stories to tell here.  I wish Ellis would come back to this world and these characters.

Criminal Vol 3: The Dead and the Dying - Wow.  Re-reading this series in a binge way has really made me see how every story is connected, even more so than I had thought.  Can't wait to dig into the next one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:21:04 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:24:37 AM »

Fell Vol 1: Feral City  - Man I love this book.  I think its the third time I've read it and I see how it does kind of wrap up.  That's too bad because I think there are a lot of stories to tell here.  I wish Ellis would come back to this world and these characters.

One of the best things he has ever done. We all love it, including Warren himself and that is why he will never go back to it. Once he lost the entire outline he had planned, and I forget how many issues he had plotted ahead and scripted (I think it was in the 20s as far as issues, plus some more outlines I think, I can't remember ... it was a lot), but when he lost it all back when his computer crashed, it broke him. And us fans as well.
 Undecided
Both fans and writer just sitting around with broken Fell hearts
 Cry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 01:46:09 AM »

One of the best things he has ever done. We all love it, including Warren himself and that is why he will never go back to it. Once he lost the entire outline he had planned, and I forget how many issues he had plotted ahead and scripted (I think it was in the 20s as far as issues, plus some more outlines I think, I can't remember ... it was a lot), but when he lost it all back when his computer crashed, it broke him. And us fans as well.
 Undecided
 Cry

Thanks Perry.  I don't think I knew that was why he stopped.  Crying shame is what it is.  Crying shame.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 01:49:55 AM »

I'm getting ready to read this book and the splash page says "In Celebration of their 30th Anniversary!".  This book is from 1988.

Which means last year, 2018, would have been the 60th Anniversary of the Legion!  And we got nothing from DC!!!
 Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 02:08:12 AM »

Undecided
 Cry

Oh man, that's RIGHT! That's why I don't remember the end of that at all!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:18:45 AM »

What I've finished in my go:

Justice League 14: I dig all Hawk stuff, so I enjoyed going through this issue. A mystery in the writing, without being overly obtuse. And hey, a correct reference to 'Death of Hawkman!' with a twist!

Aquaman 43-new direction, new writer; I okay with the first issue. Let's watch!!

From Unlimited:
Punisher 228- Man, it's like getting Punisher Max actually mixed in with the Marvel Universe. So much digging this book.

Old Man Logan 44 - I can barely handle how disgusting, immoral, degenerate, wicked, and terrible Bullseye is now. It really bugs me.

Amazing Spider-man 2 - I like it better than the first. Lip service or not, I'm digging it!

Tony Stark Iron Man 2 - Cool, delving into a 'norm' like Rhodey dying. Glad to see.

Black Panther 2 - I can't give this book much thought...because I think it's kind of stupid. Now, mind you, I'm intrigued, because if you go back and read New Avengers #1, this/these planets are mentioned as a teaching lesson to the 3 youths in training! Seriously, go back and look. Also, visual panels of planes/starfighters flying around and dogfighting is boring as sh!t in a comic panel.

Immortal Hulk 3 - weird bit of storytelling that was fun once I tracked into the groove being told.

X-23 #1 - because I want to like Laura, but I want the Laura and kinds of stories being told when she was 'All New Wolverine.'

Peter Parker Spider-man 307 - I still can't properly deal with Spider-man having a 'sister' here, but I still feel like it's all going to be a ruse, since Theresa learned about it in an alternate reality.

Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 - um...I don't feel like reading issue 2. Nothing really tracked with me in this first outing.

Captain America #1 - A bit more navel gazing than I thought was going to happen, but eh, at least it seems there will be larger issues to deal with, since Waid's brief rerun just seemed to put a glaze on the book, while Coates wants to tackle it all. Hopefully in that vein, it becomes interesting.?

Weapon X 20 - absolute shit. Looks like some internet blog cartoonist was brought on for the guest artist. Didn't bother finishing this, and frankly, this book has really lost all steam and traction with me.

Cable 159 - cool, it's all over! I feel like I should have a fork stuck in me, cuz I'm done.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 03:57:05 AM »

Re-Reading:

Marvel Unlimited
Infinity Countdown 5
Infinity Wars Prime 1
Doctor Aphra 21
Doctor Aphra 22

ComiXology
Heroes in Crisis 5
Die!Die!Die! 6
X-O Manowar 22

Secret Origins (1986-) 8 "Shadow Lass" - Nice.  I didn't know (or rembemer) Shadow Lass' origin or her royal heritage.
This issue also had the origin of Doll Man (and Doll Woman more or less) which was fun since they appear in the new Freedom Fighters comic.

Secret Origins (1986-) 25 "The Legion of Super-Heroes" - Basic retelling of the Legion origin by good old R.J. Brande.  Second origin was for Al Pratt - the Golden Age Atom.  I learned a lot about him as well.

Secret Origins (1986-) 37 "The Legion of Substitute Heroes"  - Ugh.  This read like a poor attempt at copying DeMattis and McGuire's comedy Legion Justice League comics.  Same for the Dr. Light origin story in the second half.

EDIT:  Fixed an error.  I meant to say "Justice League".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:30:33 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »

Aquaman 43-new direction, new writer; I okay with the first issue. Let's watch!!

Yes, let's!!! I was out, but the new team pulled me back. Here for a little while longer  Smiley

From Unlimited:
Punisher 228- Man, it's like getting Punisher Max actually mixed in with the Marvel Universe. So much digging this book.

Rosenburg was killing it on that title.
On the current Punisher title, without spoilers, I was getting kinda bored after issue #4 or #5 and was set to jump off but Rosenburg threw me enough of a ... not a twist but a ... screw it, a twist that I decided to stay on.
 Cheesy

Old Man Logan 44 - I can barely handle how disgusting, immoral, degenerate, wicked, and terrible Bullseye is now. It really bugs me.

Man, he must really be going too far for you to say that about this character. Not saying you are wrong, at all, but with Bullseye being who and what he is, it must be pretty bad.

Tony Stark Iron Man 2 - Cool, delving into a 'norm' like Rhodey dying. Glad to see.

I wish I could try this title, but I am so up and down on Slott that I can't do it. Add in the fact that I still have yet to read past issue #3 of my beloved FF, due in no small part to his handling of the book (due 100% to that actually) that I just can't try another title of his right now.
 Sad

Black Panther 2 - I can't give this book much thought...because I think it's kind of stupid. 

You are so damn right about that. I still like it, for some reason, only, I think, because of the way it is so freaking odd to think about T'Challa being Luke Skywalker.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Now, mind you, I'm intrigued, because if you go back and read New Avengers #1, this/these planets are mentioned as a teaching lesson to the 3 youths in training! Seriously, go back and look. 

Oh wow!! cool!!!! I didn't even remember that!!!

Also, visual panels of planes/starfighters flying around and dogfighting is boring as sh!t in a comic panel.

Hahahaha, too true!

Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 - um...I don't feel like reading issue 2. Nothing really tracked with me in this first outing.

I am a huge Donny Cates fan. Huge!! This book was horrible.

Captain America #1 - A bit more navel gazing than I thought was going to happen, but eh, at least it seems there will be larger issues to deal with, since Waid's brief rerun just seemed to put a glaze on the book, while Coates wants to tackle it all. Hopefully in that vein, it becomes interesting.?

I just started reading this again.  Cool I think it may go a little too far with the heart of Captain America or America and the relation of the two, but that is going to happen with most Cap #1's I think Grin and it continues through to issue #3 for sure, and it's heart warming to a point but then gets a little ... pasty in the mouth(?), but it is also a very good "Captain America" book. If you are reading to see Cap, this is the book!!! So far at least.
 Cheesy

Weapon X 20 - absolute shit.

Cheesy
So it's an 8 out of 10 book is what you're saying?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Okay, what I have read so far -

Detective Comics #995
Detective Comics #996
Detective Comics #997
- Tynion is finally here!! Woo-Hoo. A very cool story showing characters I've never seen.
Freedom Fighters #2 - 19 pages? Stop that. Grin This was okay. Helped show off the other characters
Justice League Dark #7 - An odd way to tell a story. I liked it!!! It was anthology like, while not, at same time
The Terrifics #5 - Yes, trying this series again. Lemire couldn't have been as bad as I thought. Trying again

Man Without Fear #4
Man Without Fear #5
- Meh, no surprises here. Cool art, but yeah, Matt struggles with mental and physical issues and then returns to fighting crime. Shocking? Nah. Worth a read? Nah.
Captain America #1
Captain America #2
Captain America #3
- VERY Captain America like.  Cool And I'm calling it now ... 
I think this run will bring a return of the young Sharon Carter. Maybe not, but I think this first arc is setting up to do just that. The structure, some of what is said, It is leading me down that way of thinking, so much so that I will be disappointed if it ends up not doing so. And hey, Cap aint scared to hit that old stuff, but a younger Sharon?  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 02:33:19 AM »

Re-Reading:

Marvel Unlimited

Infinity Countdown 5
Infinity Wars Prime 1
ADD:  Infinity Wars 1

Doctor Aphra 21
Doctor Aphra 22

ComiXology
Heroes in Crisis 5
Die!Die!Die! 6
X-O Manowar 22

Moving slower since I went camping this weekend.  I'm working from home tomorrow so I might be able to get some reading in during downtime.  But you never know.

Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk - I enjoyed these 4 issues and am looking forward to more from Darkhawk in the Infinity War: Sleepwalker mini-series coming up.

ADD:  Infinity Wars 1 - Oops.  I read through IW Countdown and IW Prime and just kept going.  Didn't realize this wasn't on my list for this week.  All well, I'm just glad this finally got started.  And so far - I like it!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:24:35 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 02:15:29 PM »

Knocked out a couple more ..

Detective Comics #995
Detective Comics #996
Detective Comics #997

Freedom Fighters #2
Justice League Dark #7
The Terrifics #5                 
Aquaman #44 - A decent enough story. Almost too similar to what we just had with Wonder Woman. Almost
Supergirl #26 I just can't stay away from Kevin Mcquire's art. And making a certain group whole again? YES!
Batman #62
Batman #63
- Ha, Jeff called this one. The craziness continues as we dive further into the Bat-Dreams. Just sorry that this arc is going to get interupted by Williamson and his Flash arc for the next two issues  Undecided Maybe he will tie this all up there? I mean this ended in a manner that does not leave an opening for a new arc, so hopefully King just wrote this to be a way for Williamson to get a start he wanted? I hope so.

Man Without Fear #4
Man Without Fear #5

Captain America #1
Captain America #2
Captain America #3                 

Amazing Spider-Man #14 - May showing she's a bad-ass and a Rhino assist? Oh yeah!!
Captain America #4
Captain America #5
Captain America #6
- Hasn't gone the way I had thought it would ... yet  Wink, but still a good Cap story. You have to be in a Cap mood to get this I think, but if you are, this is the book for you.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:00:44 PM »

Re-Reading:

Marvel Unlimited

Infinity Countdown 5
Infinity Wars Prime 1
ADD:  Infinity Wars 1
Doctor Aphra 21
Doctor Aphra 22

ComiXology
Heroes in Crisis 5
Die!Die!Die! 6
X-O Manowar 22

Star Wars: Lando Double or Nothing 2 & 3 - A fun story but Lando doesn't sound like Lando.  They write him like some 70's jive talking guy.  I don't like it.

Doctor Aphra 21 & 22 - Still loving this.

Bloodshot Rising Spirit 2 - Thumbs up

Heroes in Crisis 5 - Really good.

Die!Die!Die! 6 - Also great

X-O Manowar 22 - Good ending and change of status quo.

8 for 8 good comics.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 12:47:06 AM »

Bloodshot Rising Spirit 2 - Thumbs up

Great to hear this.
Hope they rebound for me

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS