HR Boards
September 15, 2019, 03:41:10 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 7, 2021
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 5273 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2019, 04:21:36 PM »

Timber Wolf

Home world: Zoon
Powers: Superhuman agility and strength.  Later claws and fangs, super-senses, and accelerated healing.
First appeared (as "Lone Wolf") in Adventure Comics #327 (December 1964).
Joined in Adventure Comics #372 (September 1968).

Origin & History
Brin even at an early age was active and displayed extraordinary tracking abilities. Brin’s father, Dr. Mar Londo used the Zuunium ray device he created to give his son, Brin Londo, partial super-powers. As there was only enough of the element to use on his son, Dr. Londo died soon after from the strain of overwork, but happy that he succeeded in his dream. Dr Londo's super strong android, Karth Arn, was jealous of the love Dr. Londo gave his son instead of him, and tormented Brin who was suffering physically and mentally from the treatment, believing himself doomed to eternal loneliness, Brin wandered his planet and took on the name Lone Wolf.

Karth was upset that Dr. Londo gave Brin the powers of the ray or Zuunium and that he was left as head of the Londo household. Being that he was the one that retrieved the element he felt that he should have gotten this honor. This caused Karth use a stun gun on Brin which gave him amnesia. He led Brin to believe that he was Karth and the Karth himself was Brin Londo the son of Dr. Londo. Soon afterward, Brin, believing himself to be Karth, ran away so he could go someplace where he could pass for human, leaving the android to carry on posing as Brin Londo. The android feared Brin's return and so began to build powerful weapons to deal with him should that day come. Wandering the world for a year he made it to Earth where he attended the interplanetary circus. Brin managed to save to audience of the circus from a stampede of wild animals by lifting a spotlight, scaring the animals away before anyone could get hurt. Legionnaires Light Lass and Brainiac 5 were at the circus and saw it all happen. Light Lass was impressed by his heroics and invited him to apply for the Legion of Super-Heroes. Believing he was still the android Karth Arn he declined saying he was more of a "Lone Wolf". After a series of crimes were made to be believed that Brin "Lone Wolf" was the thief. The Legionnaires went to investigate, and saw that there were no fingerprints. When a second team arrived, their cruiser was hit by a strange blue ray, which began to pull them into another dimension. Seeing their peril, Lone Wolf rammed his ship into theirs, knocking them out of the ray's path. In the aftermath of the crash, Light Lass awakened "Lone Wolf" with a kiss, and after revealing to her that he wasn't human he ran away at super-speed. The Legionnaires uncovered information regarding Dr. Mar Londo's android experimentation from years ago and questioned "Brin Londo" - actually Karth Arn - regarding Lone Wolf. When the real Brin Londo approached the building, Ultra Boy jumped him. After Brainiac 5 found the stolen space crystals and inter-dimensional ray in Londo's lab he was convinced that Karth Arn was the real android thief and cured Lone Wolf of his amnesia.

A few years later he entered the Legion under the codename Timberwolf. Shortly after, Brin was thought dead for six months, but had actually been kidnapped by the villain Tyr. During his captivity, Brin’s body evolved and even when fully human, he gained some animalistic traits like clawed fingernails, slightly elongated canines and enhanced strength and speed.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Timber Wolf land?  For me he landed at #18.    

What's your opinion of Timber Wolf?

*Above info found on Comicvine.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »

Next up - we are now leaving the Silver Age of the Legion of Super-Heroes and entering the "Bronze Age".

And the first person to join is also my pick for #1 Legionnaire!!!

Hold your breathe because here he comes!!

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »

Wildfire

Home world: Earth
Powers: Energy blasts and manipulation, flight.
First appeared (as "ERG-1") in Superboy #195 (June 1973).
Joined in Superboy #202 (May/June 1974).

Origin & History
Wildfire was originally Drake Burroughs, an astroengineer. While he was working on a new propulsion system, the unit's safety valve snapped and discharged a blast of anti-matter energy. Burroughs was engulfed and his body disintegrated instantly. However, his consciousness somehow survived, and he found himself transformed into a being of pure anti-energy. His colleagues had on hand a "containment suit" that could be used to keep Drake's anti-energy from dispersing. Once confined to a specific area, Drake's energy form stabilized and became self-regenerating. He again possessed a semblance of humanoid form; however, he had no true human form and lacked most human sensory functions, such as taste or touch.

Drake's new form had vast super-powers, the most potent of which was the power to fire energy blasts. He was originally reluctant to use that ability due to an accident in which he nearly killed his former girlfriend. Calling himself ERG-1 (Energy Release Generator 1), Drake decided to petition for membership in the Legion. To his surprise, he was turned down because the abilities he demonstrated simply duplicated those of other members such as Mon-El, Colossal Boy, and Chemical King; at that time, Legion's by-laws required that each member possess at least one superpower no other active member had. Drake had not demonstrated his energy-blasting or manipulation abilities because he was afraid he could not control them safely. Still, anxious to prove his abilities, he followed several Legionnaires on a mission to the planet Manna-5, during which Colossal Boy was knocked unconscious by an enemy machine and none of the other Legionnaires present had the power to save him. ERG-1 destroyed the machine, but expelled all his energy from his containment suit. Because his energy form was invisible, the Legionnaires assumed he had been killed in saving Colossal Boy and that his power could only be used once.

However, ERG-1 was alive. By now, his energy form was stable enough so that he could survive without his suit, though he could neither take humanoid form nor communicate with anyone. He followed the Legionnaires back to Earth where they put his containment suit on display. Upon reaching the Legionnaires' headquarters, he managed to regain the suit and save the Legion from another menace. He was then admitted to the team and adopted the name Wildfire.

Initially, Wildfire and Superboy were rivals and actually fought over the position of team leader. Wildfire acquitted himself well in that battle, establishing that his raw power was comparable to a Kryptonian's. As leader, Wildfire got mixed reviews. Though he was decisive and a gifted tactician, his poor people skills swiftly alienated many of his fellow members (though not, ironically, Superboy; at the conclusion of a particularly rough crisis, he told his one-time rival that he had become "one hell of a Legionnaire.") He led the Legion through the Earthwar and Omega crises but was defeated for re-election by Lightning Lad.

Shortly after becoming leader, Wildfire recruited a young Amerindian mutant, Dawnstar. He soon became enamored of her, but for years theirs was a love-hate relationship. It was clear to their teammates that they were extremely fond of each other, if not actively in love, but Dawnstar would not admit to her feelings. Wildfire, in return, was often passive-aggressive in his treatment of her. It was eventually revealed that Dawnstar did reciprocate his feelings. However, she feared that she would never know physical love since Wildfire did not possess a physical body.

He was, for a while, able to control his energy-form without the containment suit, thanks to the help of Quislet, but his touch burned Dawnstar and the two of them agreed that their love would never be complete. In addition, Quislet was soon forced to leave the Legion, and Wildfire was unable to keep his physical form without Quislet's help.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Wildfire land?  For me he lands at #1!    

What's your opinion of Wildfire?

*Above info found on Comicvine and Wikipedia.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:20:23 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2019, 05:28:37 AM »

No shock there  Grin

But damn, how did I miss another one?  Angry

Be back soon!!
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #139 on: Today at 03:03:12 PM »

Always saw him as a Superman-lite with a bland costume. His portrayal on Supergirl was good, though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS