HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:05:55 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69689 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »

What a time for this preview to come out ...

NOooooo

I mean, come on.

Ridiculous. Zombie dude? or worst ... Zombie Surfer?
Crap
Please not my prize leader!!

Others and sneak preview of pages HERE

I also don't like Blok. Didn't care for Dawnstart either, at first, but slowly growing on me. At least she looks more age appropriate now I guess? They certainly didn't shy away from the Native American type history. Matter-Eater Lad is another whiff in my eyes, but DreamGirl, while totally different, does look pretty cool. Is that a big black bouncing boy I see inside the ring of cover #2? Also trying to think who the girl with the slot-glasses could be?
Most seem okay, I guess, but ...
But still, Element Lad?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:42:43 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »

WHAT in the F***ing HELL?!!!

That's an ...abomination! M-E Lad is...not a LAD!!

Ugh. I know it's Sook's designs, but I still spread that filth of poor design to ...BENDIS!!!

Wink Cool

But seriously, what the hell.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:29:33 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2019, 02:45:47 AM »

Angry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »

Still trying to figure out that girl in pink, but now I am wondering if that guy I was talking about inside the ring circle could actually be Polar Boy. His hair looks a little "icy". I guess I went the body shaming angle and just assumed a chubby dude would be Bouncing Boy?
 Grin
EDIT - And only going off the green outfit here but, could that be the new Shrinking Violet behind Super Boy's left shoulder? And is that Queen Projecta in the pink? With slotted Glasses? Not sure how that connects ...  Grin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:28:30 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »

I may not be able to read this.  I don’t want another retcon.   Undecided

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »

right, isn't this the 30th century, or the 32nd century instead?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »

Lightning Lass

Home world: Winath
Powers:  Electrical manipulation; control and generation of electrical fields.
Later gravity negation, then regained her original powers.
First appeared First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #308 (May 1963).

Origin & History
Ayla Ranzz was the twin sister of a founding member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Garth Ranzz (Lightning Lad), and the younger sister of the villainous Mekt Ranzz (Lightning Lord). While traveling from their home planet of Winath, all three siblings became stranded on the 'lightning world' of Korbal, where they were attacked by powerful creatures known as lightning beasts. Rather than being killed, the Ranzz's somehow survived the attack and gained formidable lightning powers themselves. Ayla originally joined the Legion of Super-Heroes disguised as Lightning Lad, claiming to be her brother back from the dead after his apparent death at the hands of the villain Zaryan. Ayla's impersonation of her brother was soon discovered, but she proved her worth to the team and was admitted into the Legion as Lightning Lass.

For many years she was called Light Lass, after Dream Girl used the science of her homeworld Naltor to change Ayla's lightning powers with the ability to make objects super-lightweight, or anti-gravity powers (The Light Lass powers were explained both ways over the years).

In original continuity, Ayla had two major romantic relationships: first with Timber Wolf, and later with a female teammate, Shrinking Violet, which lasted all the way to the end of original continuity.

The event known as Infinite Crisis brought together the Legions of all three continuities. Afterward, the current Legion of Super-Heroes has returned to being a close approximation of the original Pre-Crisis team prior to the Five Year Gap. Ayla Ranzz has returned to her Lightning Lass identity and possesses her original lightning powers along with a variation of her original blue and orange costume. In the Lightning Saga (which chronicled Legion events leading up to Infinite Crisis), it was mentioned that Ayla had reconciled with Timber Wolf, implying that the two may have gotten back together. However, more recent events ended that speculation; Ayla is currently in a steady romantic relationship with Shrinking Violet, just as they were at the end of original Legion continuity.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Lightning Lass land?  For me she is at #24.  In hindsight, I should have swapped her out with Colossal Boy but all well, close enough.   

What's your opinion of Lightning Lass?

*Above info found on Wikipedia, Comicvine, and DC.Fandom.com.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2019, 12:51:44 AM »

Believe it or not, with Lightning Lass above, we have made it through the first 20 Legionnaires and we're still in the Silver Age!

Here is how my favorite list is shaping up with the 20 we have already discussed.

3   Brainiac 5
4   Element Lad
5   Mon-El
6   Chameleon Boy
7   Ultra Boy
8   Cosmic Boy
9   Star Boy
11   Phantom Girl
12   Sun Boy
14   Lightning Lad
15   Saturn Girl
22   Shrinking Violet
23   Duplicate Damsel
24   Lightning Lass
25   Colossal Boy
26   Supergirl
32   Superboy
34   Bouncing Boy
35   Invisible Kid
37   Matter-Eater Lad

Twenty down and three of my top 10 are still out there somewhere!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »

Man, a tough one.
Not sure where I want to place her yet ... certainly low as from what I can remember she is so derivative of her brother, especially early on, but then she does get some character development later that separates her from the mold ... but ... wasn't really a fan of hers, but I am just now relearning a lot of the legion now that I am reading them again, for the first time as an older reader. Still, eh ... as she is a sibling, how about between the two cousins at #29, for now?

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2019, 01:00:06 AM »

Dream Girl

Home world: Naltor
Powers: Precognition.
First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #317 (February 1964).

Origin & History
Nura Nal was born on Naltor in the thirtieth century. Naltor's native denizens are genetically inclined to be precognitives, with the ability to see into the future. At a young age, Nura became recognized as the most powerful precog among her people, more able to dream with peculiar accuracy, or see a few moments into the future while awake, than any other. Nura's exceptional beauty often hid the fact that she was also exceptionally bright, and once she reached adulthood, she had already mastered advanced Naltorian science, putting her among the galaxy's intellectual elite. Nura eventually left Naltor to act on one her visions in which she foresaw the death of several members of the Legion of Super-Heroes on a mission in space. Determined to prevent their deaths, she introduced herself to the Legion using the code name of Dream Girl.

Though Nura continued to receive constant attention from the unattached male Legionnaires (and even some of the attached ones), Star Boy (Thom Kallor) was the one who eventually managed to capture her heart. Nura became very close to him and she was romantically involved with Star Boy for many years. Dream Girl spent several years as someone who needed to be rescued, partly due to her effective but non-combative power. Not wanting to be a liability she trained intensively in hand-to-hand combat in order to better serve the team on the field. She was a quick study and became a highly skilled martial artist, second on the team in unarmed combat to only Karate Kid. Her precognitive power to foresee an opponent's moves before they even made them further enhanced her effectiveness as a fighter.

Dream Girl soon rejoined the Legion and continued serving as a highly valued member. After Lightning Lad's term as Legion leader went horribly awry, the team decided it was time to elect a new leader, and Dream Girl announced that she was officially running for the position. The other candidates initially scoffed at the idea of the Legion's glamor girl winning the job, until they realized to their dismay that she would not have announced her candidacy had she not already foreseen herself winning. Sure enough, Dream Girl was elected leader, becoming only the second female Legionnaire ever to do so (after Saturn Girl).

Shortly after she assumed leadership the Legion was faced with one of the most dire challenges in their history -- the Great Darkness Saga. The ancient super-villain Darkseid attempted to conquer the whole of the United Planets. He very nearly succeeded, but the Legion, with Dream Girl's able leadership, finally managed to thwart him after an epic and costly struggle.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Dream Girl land?  For me, as one of my all time favorites, she is at #10.     

What's your opinion of Dream Girl?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »

Constantly on the move, as far as where she would land on a list of my favorite Legion characters, is how I would describe her  Grin She really does move up and down my mental list quite often (relatively speaking of course) so of course this will probably change when I finalize my list, but for now I am going to throw here in at #16. Only because I know who will be taking the two remaining spots in my current top 10 for now and I want to leave a couple more spots for someone I might be forgetting.
 Grin

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »

Ugh.  I need to keep replying to this thread so that this page fills up and a new page starts so I can stop seeing that gawd awful Element Lad at the top of the page.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »

Lightning Lass and being derivative of her brother always threw me off. Even explaining away that their society/culture/peoples typically always are born twins, it still felt weird that Lightning Lord was their brother without a twin, hence why he's 'evil.'

At least as far as character's are developed through their personality, and not just their powers, she really did get a lot of good work. So, I like her for that.

Dream Girl was always just so weird I never got into her much. But I think I missed alot of her best stuff, which is on me, not her.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2019, 07:44:00 PM »

And here I thought my response would put us over into page 9 and get past that awful M-E Lad redesign!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »

Ferro Lad

Home world: Earth
Powers: Ability to transform into iron, which also provides him with superhuman strength and invulnerability.
First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #346 (July 1966) and was created by Jim Shooter.
Died destroying the Sun-Eater in Adventure Comics #353 (February 1967).

Origin & History
Ferro Lad attended the Legion open calls and demonstrated how strong he really was by turning himself into Iron and having Lightning Lad blast him with one of his thunderbolts, then he bent steel to show strength and informed the legion that his costume turned into iron with him. After being accepted he was sent on a mission to ask Mano of the Fatal Five team to help fight against the Sun-eater.

Later he agreed to be apart of Tharoks plan to increase the superheroes abilities with a intensifier that took its power from a Antimatter Universe. Unfortunately the power up wasn’t strong enough to have any effect on the Sun-eater. As the Legions many attempts failed Ferro Lad threw himself at the sun-eaters core to discover a massive energy as the heart of the sun-eater. Ferro lad believed that if he destroyed the core the sun eater would die, but failed in the attempt as he was blasted away. Ferro Lad told the legion of his discovery and Tharok made a Absorbatron Bomb that would absorb all the sun eaters power defeating it if the bomb could be introduced onto the core.

As they had no time Tharok didn’t build a timing device or driving force pack which meant someone was going to have to take the bomb to the sun eater and detonate it dying in the process. As the heroes stayed silent Superboy said that he would take the bomb seeing as he had invulnerability which meant that he might have a chance of survival. Ferro Lad saw that Superboy was weak and his survival was slim so he sucker punched Superboy, took the bomb, and escaped the ship with it while propelling towards the Sun-eater.

As he reached the core of the Sun-eater, Ferro Lad was successful in detonating the bomb and killing the Sun-eater. Meanwhile the Legion watched as the Absorbatron Bomb tore the cloud apart absorbing the energy and sent lighting across the silent cold black space.

When the legion returned safely they had a funeral was made in Ferro Lads honor for making the biggest sacrifice that saved the galaxy and the millions of lives who live in it. His self-sacrifice to save the galaxy made him legendary, despite his short tenure as a Legionnaire, with many later Silver Age stories featuring references to his death, both the event itself and a statue erected in his memory was often visible in the Legion's headquarters.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Ferro Lad land?  For me he is at #16.  It may seem odd to you that someone who was on the team for so short a time would land at a ranking this high.  But his death and the impact it made on the team has always made him one of my favorites.  A timeless, self sacrificing story that really stuck with 12 year old me.    

What's your opinion of Ferro Lad?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS