HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:59:50 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69729 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2019, 10:12:06 AM »

Darn, I actually have no idea about this one. I mean where I would place him. I think I would, on first impulse, place him in my top ten as well, but ... trying to remember more legionnaires that may bump him out and I just can't think right now  Cheesy This is going to be the one character that I move around the most.
 Cheesy

Another place holder. I guess (I need to sit down and list them all and place them so I know where to put them here)
 Wink
And is he and Supes the only male characters with "boy" merged into their name and not a separate word? Just noticed that.
 Cheesy

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#11 - Starboy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#30 - Superboy
#41 - Invisible Kid

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »

I do so love reading these. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2019, 02:54:03 AM »

Duplicate Girl (Formerly Triplicate Girl and Duo Damsel)

Home world:  Cargg
Powers:  The ability to create numerous duplicates (Originally, the ability to split into three bodies.)
First appeared in Action Comics #276 (May 1961), already a member.  Revealed in Superboy #147 (May/June 1968) to be the Legion's fourth member.
Triplicate Girl (now Duplicate Girl) was created in 1961 by writer Jerry Siegel (the co-creator of Superman) and artist Jim Mooney.

Origin
Luornu Durgo was born on Cargg, a planet with three suns, which grants its Carggite inhabitants the ability to split themselves into three identical bodies. She left her homeworld after hearing of tryouts for the Legion of Super-Heroes, and she had each of her bodies demonstrate her power to the Legion's three founders (Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and Lightning Lad) separately. Luornu then surprised them when they gathered to find they had each been approached by the same girl simultaneously. This convinced them to make her their first new Legionnaire recruit, and she joined the team under the code name Triplicate Girl.

After successfully completing many missions as Triplicate Girl, she suffered tragedy when Brainiac 5's robot Computo went rogue and killed one of her three bodies. To the surprise of the Legionnaires and in defiance of traditional Carggite physiology, Luornu's other two bodies managed to survived the loss of the third. She adopted the codename Duo Damsel, with the ability to split into two forms.

When Bouncing Boy lost his powers (temporarily as it turned out), he decided to propose marriage to Luornu, they became the Legion's first married couple. At the wedding, Luornu's second body was kidnapped by Starfinger and she temporarily lost her duplication power due to the villain coveting it for himself. But his plan was foiled by the Legion and Luornu's two selves were reunited. After the ceremony, both Chuck and Lu resigned from active duty and became Legion reservists (due to Legion bylaws, married Legionnaires could not serve full-time).

Luornu also joined the Legion Espionage Squad, a special branch of the Legion that handled covert missions. She also decided to become teacher along with her husband and ran the Legion Academy, a school designed to train prospective Legion members. They enjoyed running the Academy so much that when the Legion Constitution changed its bylaws to allow married couples, they opted to remain reserves

Years later, Luornu and Chuck helped form a new Legion of Substitute Heroes with the retired Cosmic Boy and Night Girl. When the Superboy from the Pocket Universe was killed by the Time Trapper, Duo Damsel was devastated, realizing that she still loved him. She joined a conspiracy with other Legion members, including Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5 and Mon-El, to made a pact to break the Legion code and kill the Time Trapper. In the ensuing battle, Duo Damsel lost another duplicate (the one that wore purple) and was left powerless with a single body. She continued on as an instructor at the Legion Academy but decided her fighting days were behind her after losing two of her selves, rejecting Brainiac 5's gift of a force field belt so that she could continue being a heroine.

The "Retroboot" returned the Legion to a close approximation of the original team prior to the Five Year Gap. Luornu was once again Duo Damsel and wore her classic DD costume. During the Lightning Saga, one of Duo Damsel's two bodies traveled to the 21st century to join Karate Kid on an assignment. Because her other body was still in the 31st century she couldn't duplicate, so while on the mission she called herself "Una." Tragically, both Una and Karate Kid were killed in action in the 21st century. But when Una died, Luornu's single remaining body in the 31st century somehow received a major power upgrade, gaining the ability to split into any number of bodies. Luornu changed her name to Duplicate Damsel and later to Duplicate Girl.  So far, Luornu has opted to remain an instructor at the Legion Academy rather than rejoin the Legion with her greatly enhanced powers.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Duplicate Girl land?  For me she has landed at #23.  

What's your opinion of Duplicate Girl/Duo Damsel/Triplicate Girl?

*Above info found on Wikipedia and Comicvine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:06:10 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »

No love for poor Duplicate Girl.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »

Phantom Girl

Home world:  Bgztl
Powers:  Intangibility
First appeared in Action Comics #276 (May 1961), already a member.
Revealed in Superboy #147 (May/June 1968) to be the Legion's fifth member.
Phantom Girl was created in 1961 by writer Jerry Siegel (the co-creator of Superman) and artist Jim Mooney.

Origin
Tinya Wazzo was born in the 30th century on the extra-dimensional world of Bgztl. While its people are able to pass through walls and other solid objects at will, she was the only member of her race with the ability to pass fully through the Phantom Zone and onto Earth, which shared dimensional space with Bgztl. After the death of her father and disagreements with her mother, Tinya was looking for an escape and found it on a newscast of the newly formed Legion of Super-Heroes. Tinya left her mother Winema and brother Gyma behind and smuggled herself onto Earth with all of her savings. After doing so, Tinya impressed the Legion by showing them how easily their defenses could be breached by a phantom and imploring them to induct her. She was promptly made a member and given the codename Phantom Girl.

Tinya was sworn in alongside Luornu Durgo (Triplicate Girl) and the two became friends as well as the Legion's first recruits following the three founding members.  Phantom Girl became a founding member of the Legion Espionage Squad and became best friends with Tasmia Mallor (Shadow Lass), and Tinya and Ultraboy would often double-date with Tasmia and her boyfriend Mon-el.  Tinya eventually became the most senior Legionnaire, and has served in the Legion without any absences longer than anyone else in history. As a founder of the Legion Espionage Squad, Tinya displayed remarkable leadership qualities. Despite this, she remained the longest-serving Legionnaire never to be elected as Legion leader (until very recently).

Phantom Girl's original costume consisted of white tights and a cape, with a stylized black 'P' on her chest. Like many Legionnaires she underwent a sexy makeover in the 1970's, losing the cape and wearing a white jumpsuit with wide sleeves, bell-bottom pants, bare shoulders, and revealing rectangular openings down the front of her chest. This "portholes & bell-bottoms" costume became her signature look, and is the basis for her current costume.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Phantom Girl land?  For me she has landed at #11.  

What's your opinion of Phantom Girl?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:06:32 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 10:36:13 PM »

With Phantom Girl's addition we now have the first 10 Legionnaire's.  This is how my list is flushing out.

6.  Chameleon Boy
8.  Cosmic Boy
9.  Star Boy
11.  Phantom Girl
14.  Lightning Lad
15.  Saturn Girl
23.  Duplicate Girl (Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel)
25.  Colossal Boy
32.  Superboy
35.  Invisible Kid

Three of my top 5 will be joining in the next wave of 10 members!  And my #3 is coming up next!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:38:20 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »

Grin Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 01:44:42 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2019, 02:24:55 AM »

Weird as it is to say, I always considered her the ' hot' one. Rowr!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:05 PM »

Brainiac 5

Home world:  Colu
Powers:  12th level intelligence.  Force field belt.  Creator of the Time Travel bubble and the Legion Flight Ring.
First appeared and joined in Action Comics #276 (May 1961) with Supergirl.
Brainiac 5 was created by Jerry Siegel and Jim Mooney.
Action Comics #276 is currently for sale at mycomicshop.com for the low price of $935.00!!!!  Shocked

Origin & History
Brainiac 5 is a green-skinned, blond-haired teenage native of the planet Colu, who claimed to be descended from the original Brainiac, one of Superman's deadliest enemies. He wished to join the Legion as atonement for his great-great-grandfather's misdeeds. When Brainiac 1 was revealed to be an android created by the Computer Tyrants, Brainiac 5 "discovered" he was actually descended from Brainiac 2, the leader of the rebellion against the tyrants, as well as being the clone of the original Brainiac. Brainiac 5's ingenuity led to the invention of, amongst other things, the Legion flight ring (perfecting an invention of the original Invisible Kid based on a metal discovered by Mon-El), the anti-lead serum that allowed Mon-El to leave the Phantom Zone and the force field belt which became the signature device of the character. Another of Brainiac 5's creations had less beneficial effects: the super computer Computo, which attempted to take over the world, killing one of Triplicate Girl's three selves in the process. He successfully destroyed his creation with "an anti-matter force", but this highlighted one of his major flaws: a habit of initiating projects without considering the dangers. A much later example was his transformation of fellow scientist Professor Jaxon Rugarth into the psychotic, all-powerful Infinite Man in conjunction with honorary Legionnaire Rond Vidar.

As time went on, Brainiac 5 began to be portrayed as unstable. Long attracted to Supergirl, Brainiac 5 created a robot duplicate of her in his sleep, convincing himself this was the real Supergirl.[2] A few years the Legion encountered Pulsar Stargrave, a villain who convinced Brainiac 5 that he was the Coluan's long-lost father.[3] Brainiac 5 joined Stargrave to battle the sorcerer Mordru, but the android's influence would haunt him long after that. It was claimed in Superboy #225 that Stargrave was actually the original Brainiac android, but the truth of this is uncertain.

When Stargrave murders Ultra Boy's ex-girlfriend An Ryd, Brainiac 5 frames Ultra Boy for the murder. Chameleon Boy, who suspected Brainiac 5 from the beginning, finds proof when Brainiac's madness leads him to an attempt to destroy the universe using the Miracle Machine, a device that turns thoughts into reality. He is stopped by Matter-Eater Lad, who eats the machine, and both are committed to a mental institution (the energies of the Machine having driven Matter-Eater Lad insane). Brainiac 5 eventually recovers his sanity and rejoins the group. Shortly afterward, however, he is accused of having murdered Ultra Boy's ex-girlfriend himself. To prove his innocence, he finds Stargrave and defeats him. He later manages to cure Matter-Eater Lad's insanity.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Brainiac 5 land?  For me he is a solid #3.  One of my all time favorite characters!  

What's your opinion of Brainiac 5?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:19:46 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 01:09:16 AM »

My number 1!!I love Brainiac 5!

I mean, his name became part of our language lexicon! How cool is that?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »

I instantly thought, without looking at my list of whom I had where, he was also, like Jeff, going to be falling into the #3 spot on my list. Of course that position is already filled, so I had to think if I wanted to adjust my list now, well before I wanted to, or would I slide him in at a later or an earlier spot in the rankings.

I also know there is a certain non-corporeal member that I believe is going to go into the 2nd spot, so it looks like, for now, until I do a final adjustment, he fits in nicely at #4, because I do tend to like Cosmic Boy a tad more... and I honestly don't know why. Brianiac is a "better" character, but for some reason I feel really good about Cos being in the 3rd spot. If I had it my way there would be two #3's  Grin but really it is just nit picking as both are easily in my top 5.

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 -
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#11 - Starboy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#30 - Superboy
#41 - Invisible Kid

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 07:22:05 PM »

My number 1!!I love Brainiac 5!

I mean, his name became part of our language lexicon! How cool is that?

That is indeed VERY cool!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »

Supergirl

Home world: Krypton
Powers:  Supergirl has the same powers and abilities of Superman, including superhuman strength, superspeed, heat vision, X-ray vision, telescopic and microscopic vision, flight, invulnerability, and super-speed sufficient to travel through both interstellar space and time
First appeared in Action Comics #252 (May 1959)
Joined the Legion with Brainiac 5 in Action Comics 276 (May 1961).

Origin & History
Supergirl was a resident of the doomed planet Krypton, who at the time of its explosion was a teenager who was often left in charge of her infant cousin Kal-El (who would become Superman on Earth). She was sent in a separate spacecraft to Earth to look over her cousin while he reached maturity. Due to an error in the trajectory of the spacecraft (and because she was traveling close to the speed of light) she arrived many years later the same age as when she'd left while Kal-El had already grown to adulthood, reversing the intended role of child and guardian.

After arriving on Earth Kara soon found her cousin and the two determined that they shared a familial bond and he vowed to protect her. After discovering her powers she agreed to keep her identity secret for a time, taking up residence in the Midvale Orphanage while attending Stanhope College. During her evenings she would fight crime as her alter ego, Supergirl. During this period as well she would travel to the 30th century to meet the Legion of Super Heroes though it took some time for her to be admitted as a member.

Graduating from high school in 1965, Linda Lee goes to college on a scholarship and stays in Stanhope College until she graduates in 1971. During this era, she is helped by her pet cat Streaky, her Super-Horse pet Comet, and befriends Lena Thorul, who had first appeared in the Lois Lane series. Kara is also a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, where she becomes close to Brainiac 5.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Supergirl land?  For me she is at #26.    

What's your opinion of Supergirl?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 02:01:01 AM »

Sun Boy

Home world: Earth
Powers:  Heat and light generation.
Sun Boy was created by by Jerry Siegel and Jim Mooney.
First appeared in Action Comics #276 (May 1961).
Joined prior to Adventure Comics #290 (November 1961).

Origin & History
Dirk Morgna's father owned a nuclear power plant, where Dirk worked as a helper. While he was delivering supplies to one of the plant's scientists, Dr. Zaxton Regulus, the machine the scientist was working on exploded resulting in the death of fellow worker Zarl Hendricks. Dr. Regulus blamed the accident, and his subsequent dismissal, on the interruption. He tried to gain revenge on Dirk by throwing him in an atomic reactor; however, due to Dirk's "one-in-a-million genetic structure" instead of killing him, the radiation gave him the power to generate heat and light. 

Dirk took on the name Sun Boy and applied for the Legion, but was rejected in favor of Brainiac 5 and Supergirl for that year's membership slots. He was accepted the next year when he developed his powers of heat generation.

As Sun Boy, Dirk had a dramatic Legion career. Early on he lost his powers and was sidelined, but they recovered. He became space happy on an extended mission in space where he was leader and locked up his teammates, who eventually saved him. Dirk was hit in the head during a press event and suffered amnesia just as Dr. Regulus returned to seek revenge. Dirk regained his memories in time to defeat his rival, doing so again years later when he returned after Dirk's 11 solar year (17-18 years) birthday party. His powers were instrumental in weakening the Servants of Darkness in the Great Darkness Saga but Darkseid continuously knocked him out. During an encounter with the Emerald Empress, she broke Dirk's jaw for his back-talking. He recovered shortly thereafter. Dirk, notorious for quick relationships, had a steady one for a period of time then with Gigi Cusimano, an old friend of Dirk's buddy Colossal Boy. However Dirk ended that relationship as well.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Sun Boy land?  For me he is at #12.    

What's your opinion of Sun Boy?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS