HR Boards
April 19, 2019, 01:43:25 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Jumanji 2 premieres December 13, 2019!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 1125 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2019, 03:12:06 AM »

Darn, I actually have no idea about this one. I mean where I would place him. I think I would, on first impulse, place him in my top ten as well, but ... trying to remember more legionnaires that may bump him out and I just can't think right now  Cheesy This is going to be the one character that I move around the most.
 Cheesy

Another place holder. I guess (I need to sit down and list them all and place them so I know where to put them here)
 Wink
And is he and Supes the only male characters with "boy" merged into their name and not a separate word? Just noticed that.
 Cheesy

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#11 - Starboy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#30 - Superboy
#41 - Invisible Kid
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »

I do so love reading these. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:03 PM »

Duplicate Girl (Formerly Triplicate Girl and Duo Damsel)

Home world:  Cargg
Powers:  The ability to create numerous duplicates (Originally, the ability to split into three bodies.)
First appeared in Action Comics #276 (May 1961), already a member.  Revealed in Superboy #147 (May/June 1968) to be the Legion's fourth member.
Triplicate Girl (now Duplicate Girl) was created in 1961 by writer Jerry Siegel (the co-creator of Superman) and artist Jim Mooney.

Origin
Luornu Durgo was born on Cargg, a planet with three suns, which grants its Carggite inhabitants the ability to split themselves into three identical bodies. She left her homeworld after hearing of tryouts for the Legion of Super-Heroes, and she had each of her bodies demonstrate her power to the Legion's three founders (Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and Lightning Lad) separately. Luornu then surprised them when they gathered to find they had each been approached by the same girl simultaneously. This convinced them to make her their first new Legionnaire recruit, and she joined the team under the code name Triplicate Girl.

After successfully completing many missions as Triplicate Girl, she suffered tragedy when Brainiac 5's robot Computo went rogue and killed one of her three bodies. To the surprise of the Legionnaires and in defiance of traditional Carggite physiology, Luornu's other two bodies managed to survived the loss of the third. She adopted the codename Duo Damsel, with the ability to split into two forms.

When Bouncing Boy lost his powers (temporarily as it turned out), he decided to propose marriage to Luornu, they became the Legion's first married couple. At the wedding, Luornu's second body was kidnapped by Starfinger and she temporarily lost her duplication power due to the villain coveting it for himself. But his plan was foiled by the Legion and Luornu's two selves were reunited. After the ceremony, both Chuck and Lu resigned from active duty and became Legion reservists (due to Legion bylaws, married Legionnaires could not serve full-time).

Luornu also joined the Legion Espionage Squad, a special branch of the Legion that handled covert missions. She also decided to become teacher along with her husband and ran the Legion Academy, a school designed to train prospective Legion members. They enjoyed running the Academy so much that when the Legion Constitution changed its bylaws to allow married couples, they opted to remain reserves

Years later, Luornu and Chuck helped form a new Legion of Substitute Heroes with the retired Cosmic Boy and Night Girl. When the Superboy from the Pocket Universe was killed by the Time Trapper, Duo Damsel was devastated, realizing that she still loved him. She joined a conspiracy with other Legion members, including Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5 and Mon-El, to made a pact to break the Legion code and kill the Time Trapper. In the ensuing battle, Duo Damsel lost another duplicate (the one that wore purple) and was left powerless with a single body. She continued on as an instructor at the Legion Academy but decided her fighting days were behind her after losing two of her selves, rejecting Brainiac 5's gift of a force field belt so that she could continue being a heroine.

The "Retroboot" returned the Legion to a close approximation of the original team prior to the Five Year Gap. Luornu was once again Duo Damsel and wore her classic DD costume. During the Lightning Saga, one of Duo Damsel's two bodies traveled to the 21st century to join Karate Kid on an assignment. Because her other body was still in the 31st century she couldn't duplicate, so while on the mission she called herself "Una." Tragically, both Una and Karate Kid were killed in action in the 21st century. But when Una died, Luornu's single remaining body in the 31st century somehow received a major power upgrade, gaining the ability to split into any number of bodies. Luornu changed her name to Duplicate Damsel and later to Duplicate Girl.  So far, Luornu has opted to remain an instructor at the Legion Academy rather than rejoin the Legion with her greatly enhanced powers.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Duplicate Girl land?  For me she has landed at #23.  

What's your opinion of Duplicate Girl/Duo Damsel/Triplicate Girl?

*Above info found on Wikipedia and Comicvine.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS