HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:45:16 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69711 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »

Yeah that S&M costume really confuses me. Never read an issue that had that outfit!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »

Yeah that S&M costume really confuses me. Never read an issue that had that outfit!

That was your boy Mike Grell's costume. He designed that puppy in the 70's. Haha, It was horrible, but I still, for some strange reason, did like it.
 Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

I think it was the color and the way it made his wrist and ankle bands pop that I liked, and it did look really cool in the action scenes, but jeez standing around ... hahahahaha, oh boy

EDIT
Oh, and I found a cosplay pic of it (or a pic that has been edited I should say) and it is so damn laughable it isn't funny.
 Smiley
CLICK HERE IF YOU WANT TO BURN AN IMAGE IN YOUR EYES
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cheesy Cheesy  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:24:13 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »

EDIT
Oh, and I found a cosplay pic of it (or a pic that has been edited I should say) and it is so damn laughable it isn't funny.
 Smiley
CLICK HERE IF YOU WANT TO BURN AN IMAGE IN YOUR EYES

Shocked

That was just SO wrong!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:35 AM »

Lightning Lad

Home world:  Winath
Powers:  Electrical manipulation; control and generation of electrical fields.
First appeared (as "Lightning Boy") in Adventure Comics #247 (April 1958).
Revealed to be a founding member in Superboy #147 (May/June 1968).

Origin
Garth Ranzz was born on the agricultural world of Winath with his twin, Ayla. Garth, Ayla, and their older brother Mekt were joy riding when their ship lost power and came down on the world of Korbal. They devised a scheme to recharge their ship's energy cells using the electrical energy of Korbal's lightning beasts. They underestimated the beasts' power and were all bathed in bio-electric energy. After their return with new found powers, Mekt disappeared. Garth left home to look for his brother. On his journey he helped two other super powered teenagers foil the assassination of philanthropist R.J. Brande. Brande suggested they form a team - the Legion of Super-Heroes. Garth assumed the name Lightning Boy initially, but switched to Lightning Lad.

Lightning Lad is the husband of Saturn Girl and the father of two sets of twins; Sons Garridan (Validus) and Graym Ranzz and daughters Dacey and Dorrit Ranzz.

On your list of favorite Legionairres where does Lightning Lad land?  For me he wound up as #14.

What's your opinion of Lightning Lad?

*Above info found on Wikipedia and Comicvine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:03:14 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »

Yeah, this one is hard. Garth has the Cyclops feeling for me. Kinda douchy, but a good guy. Ya know? I knew this one was coming, he had to, founding member and all, but I was sure hoping he would show up real late so I could place him a little more easily.
 Cheesy

I did really enjoy his brashness when I was younger, I still think of him and Wildfire in the Cyclops/Wolverine trope, but man, I don't know. I think I am going to put a disclaimer on this because I know he is going to be one that moves up and down my ranking as we go.
 Grin

Just throwing this out there ... for now, as I am not sure I can put him too low and I damn sure can't put him too high (although he may (probably) will land somewhere in the middle by the time this is over  Wink) but due to his founding member status, his powers and on the flip-side his attitude I have to throw him in the top dozen ... again, for now

Lightning Lad #12

So ...

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad

That said, I had no idea that Validus was his son!!!!!
I had to check when that happened and it seems it was during Giffen's FIVE YEARS LATER title/run, something I have yet to read. I also see where, after the threeboot that is no longer the case, but now? Who knows?
Still, wow!!!
Did not know that

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »

I think I am going to put a disclaimer on this because I know he is going to be one that moves up and down my ranking as we go.
 Grin

I know the same will happen for me.  For myself, I’ve vowed that once I put them on here that’s where they are staying until I’m done.  The others might move around until I commit with their post.

But here’s what I found amazing.  I really like Lightning Lad. And yet, 13 other characters beat him on my list.  It really shows how much I love this team and all the characters in it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 11:24:55 PM »

Saturn Girl

Home world:  Titan
Powers:  Telepathy; ability to read and control minds.
First appeared in Adventure Comics #247 (April 1958).
Revealed to be a founding member in Superboy #147 (May/June 1968).

Origin
Imra Ardeen was born on Titan (the largest moon of the planet Saturn) in the 30th century. All of the native inhabitants of Titan have the power of telepathy. From an early age Imra's telepathic ability was revealed to be among the strongest of her race. Due to her great talent, in her teen years Imra traveled to Earth and began training to be a Science Police officer. But fate intervened when she joined two other super-powered teens, Garth Ranzz and Rokk Krinn (later known as Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy), in stopping an assassination attempt on billionaire R.J. Brande. Inspired by their heroism as well as the legacy of the 20th-century superhero Superboy, Brande bankrolled the three teens and they became the founding members of the team known as the Legion of Super-Heroes. Taking the code name of Saturn Girl, Imra has gone on to become one of the greatest and most dedicated Legionnaires in the team's history.

As leader of the Legion, Saturn Girl was the first female comic book character to head a group of superheroes.

After dating for almost ten years, Garth Ranzz (Lightning Lad) proposed marriage but Imra initially rejected his offer due to a Legion rule which forced married members to retire. After consulting with her mentors on Titan, however, Imra relented. However, the couple's retirement was short-lived; a few months after their marriage, war broke out in which all active Legionnaires were captured and the reserves were forced into action. Imra's telepathic skills were instrumental in the Legion's eventual victory, and as a result the rule barring married members was repealed. The Ranzzes returned to active duty until Imra gave birth to their son, Graym, after which they both retired in order to devote their energy to him. Unbeknown to the couple, however, Graym had a twin who was stolen at birth by Darkseid and transported into the past, where he was transformed into the monster Validus (Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 3). Validus fought the Legion on numerous occasions (and even killed one of the comrades, the first Invisible Kid), but was eventually returned as a normal infant to his parents by Darkseid at Imra's insistence.
They enlarged their family with the birth of daughters Dacey & Dorritt, who inherited Imra's telepathic abilities.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Saturn Girl land?  For me she wound up as #15; right behind her hubby Lightning Lad.

What's your opinion of Saturn Girl?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:13:24 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 09:06:31 PM »

I was never really a big fan of Saturn Girl, Being a Marvel guy she was like having to read about a walking, female Professor X  Grin but I still respect her starting membership role which puts her higher on my list than it should. Even though it isn't that high. Not sure where she would fall yet in the whole 49, but I think I am going to just put a place holder on her, like I am doing with most of these, until I can figure out precisely where she goes.

For now, I am going to say around the halfway point, a little better ... so #21 (that does seem low, I am sure she will climb higher than that eventually)

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »

Garth is a father of FOUR?!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »

Superboy

Home world:  Krypton
Powers:  Superboy has the same powers and abilities of Superman, including superhuman strength, superspeed, heat vision, X-ray vision, telescopic and microscopic vision, flight, invulnerability, and super-speed sufficient to travel through both interstellar space and time.
First appeared in Action Comics #1 (June 1938) as Superman.  
First appearance as Superboy in More Fun Comics #101 (January/February 1945)

Origin
The original pitch for a "Superboy" character was made by Jerry Siegel (without Joe Shuster) in November 1938. The idea was turned down by Detective Comics, Inc., and the publisher again rejected a second, more detailed pitch by Siegel two years later. Siegel's conception of Superboy was that of a comical prankster, and editor Mort Weisinger felt this would have cheapened Superman's image and presented a bad role model for younger readers. After the appeal of kid superheroes had been demonstrated by the success of Robin the Boy Wonder and similar characters, Detective Comics reversed itself in late 1944 and started publishing a Superboy feature, in an effort to expand the Superman franchise by presenting a version of the character to whom younger readers could easily relate. Superboy first appeared in More Fun Comics #101 (1944, with a 1945 cover date). Though Joe Shuster supplied the art, the Superboy feature was published without the input or approval of Jerry Siegel, who was serving in World War II. This fact increased an already-growing rift between the publisher and Siegel and Shuster.

In early 1946, Superboy moved to Adventure Comics, where he debuted in issue #103 (April 1946) as the lead feature for the anthology comic, and he remained the headlining feature for over 200 issues.  Superboy's adventures in Adventure Comics include the story of how Superboy joins the 30th-century Legion of Super-Heroes in issue #247 (April 1958).

After the Legion pushed new Superboy stories out of Adventure Comics in 1963, Superboy became the only comic book to feature original Superboy stories. Less than two years after the Legion itself left Adventure Comics, Superboy became the Legion's new home. Starting with Superboy #172 (March 1971), the Legion appeared as an occasional backup feature. Once again, the Legion feature proved so popular that by Superboy #197 (Sept. 1973), the Legion had become the lead feature, and with the next issue, the title's only feature. Although from issue #197, the cover logo read Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes (and replaced starring with #222), the official title (shown in the indicia) of the comic remained Superboy until #231 (Sept. 1977), when the comic became Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes. In issue #259 (Jan. 1980), Superboy left the Legion and his name was dropped from the title altogether, which now became simply The Legion of Super-Heroes. Though Superboy still periodically appeared in the series that once bore his name, the series remained a Legion title until its final issue, #354, in 1987.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Superboy land?  For me he wound up as #32.

What's your opinion of Superboy?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:03:52 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »

Oh, you should know my first instinct here, but I'm gonna play it safe as I am sure there will be another character that will fall in behind him. There must be, right?
 Wink

Okay, honestly, I never minded Superboy as much as Superman, he seemed to struggle a bit more, making him a tad more interesting. Even still he was way too powerful for my liking so while he may not be at the very bottom, and as I know I am going to adjust this list when the last Legionnaire hits and he could swing up a good bit ... or perhaps down a little further, I am place-holding kid Supes at #30. Just over halfway down this very open list.

Bottom line, even though I did enjoy SupesJR more than the SupesSenior, I enjoyed Legion just as much after he left.

But yeah, he could slide up, maybe even in front of Saturn Girl, when I really start to see the list play out and I get refreshed on all the members.
 Smiley

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#30 - Superboy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »

I’m assuming that ranking for Superboy is above Earthman?   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 10:17:24 PM »

I’m assuming that ranking for Superboy is above Earthman?   Grin

That is one of them for sure.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ugh.
 Roll Eyes

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »

Chameleon Boy

Home world:  Durla
Powers:  Shapeshifting
First appeared in Action Comics #267 (August 1960), already a member.
Chameleon Boy was created by Jerry Siegel and Jim Mooney.

Origin
Reep Daggle was born on the planet Durla as part of a race of orange-skinned, exotic looking people. Due to the warlike tendencies of its civilization, Durla entered a civil war which culminated in the Six Minute War when Reep was a boy. The planet was left in nuclear rubble and the nuclear radiation mutated everyone on the planet, including Reep, into tentacled monsters. It also had the unusual side-effect of granting Durlans shape-shifting abilities, allowing them to morph back into their previous forms as well as that of others. Reep had a twin brother named Liggt. Reep's mother, Zhay, died when the boys were small and their father, Ren Daggle, abandoned them afterward to be raised by Ren's sister, Ji. Their widowed father had actually contracted Yorggian Fever and left Durla, trapped in the guise of an Earthman, and went on to become R.J. Brande. Due to being twins, Reep was forced to confront his brother to the death in the Durlan Right of Survival. Reep won and killed his brother for his chance of survival, much to his sadness.

Disgusted by parts of his culture, Reep left for Earth and applied to join the Legion Of Super-Heroes. Fellow applicant Colossal Boy gave him his codename of Chameleon Boy and the two were sworn in together. Cham served as a Legionnaire for many years, using his shape-shifting talents to help bust up many criminal plots. He was the founder of the Legion Espionage Squad for members with covert powers and despite the public's dislike of Durlans, was one of the best-liked among his teammates.

Years later, R.J. Brande came down ill and only a blood transfusion would save him. The Legion learned that Brande was a Durlan, and that he actually had a biological child in the Legion. Brande confessed following the transfusion that he was Reep's father and had been blessed to watch him grow up in the Legion.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Chameleon Boy land?  He is in my top 10 landing as #6 - two spots above Cosmic Boy.  Always a favorite of mine some of my favorite issues always included Chameleon Boy.

What's your opinion of Chameleon Boy?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:04:15 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 11:06:18 PM »

I'm gonna say...I've never really been a fan of him. Sometimes I try to think if the Brande father reveal was really cool, or just ..cheap? I'm not sure.

It felt weird with Proty and Proty II, because like, they were shapechangers as well, right? It's kind of like Goofy hangs out with Pluto. It's...weird to me.

Maybe I missed "his" story where he really got to shine, but...in my limited reading...he just never said 'favorite' to me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS