HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:52:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69696 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »

I think my biggest remembrance's of him were the Brande reveal and I like him being in the Espionage group.  I like Mystique of the X-Men world too.  I must have a thing for shape shifters.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:58 PM »

Crap, I knew there was something I looked at when I didn't have time to reply ... much like now.

Hpefully will remember this tomorrow

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »

Yep, I fall on the side with Jeff when it comes to this guy. Maybe it is our age?  Grin I loved me some Reep when I was a young boy (or "lad", both are acceptable in Legion speak  Grin). Thought it was cool (though yes, cheesy at times) the way he would just pop up, antennas almost always showing first, after hiding in plain sight configured as a lamp or a plant ... or even a wall, while listening to confessions of guilt and the like
 Grin

However, honestly, the Brande connection was not one I liked at first. I think that could have been a personal thing that tied into what I was going through as a kid though. Some mental thing on my end? That said, I have since grown to like the idea.

Yep,Cam was always one of those characters that made my mind instantly go to that "what if I had that power ...?" thinking. Daydreaming what I would do. The trouble I would no doubt get into.  Cheesy

Plus I think it is kinda cool that the guy that created Superman, also created this guy, as well as a lot of other legionaries that I like, including my bestest, mostest favorite one, which I hope to see soon
 Grin

As for the ranking, always tentative of course, but throwing him in the top ten seems like a safe bet and I like where Jeff put him. Seems right for me as well ...

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#30 - Superboy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »

However, honestly, the Brande connection was not one I liked at first. I think that could have been a personal thing that tied into what I was going through as a kid though. Some mental thing on my end? That said, I have since grown to like the idea.

I’m in the same boat.  It felt like a cheat to me to have Brande “stuck” in a human form when I was a kid.  But also like you, it grew on me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 06:36:12 PM »

Got these in the mail Friday.  They are a lot bigger than I thought they'd be.  Looks great on the bookshelf!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 12:03:55 AM »

Yeah man! Those Omnis are big
NICE!!!!

Edit - And I see you, Joker  Grin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:06:00 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 02:21:54 AM »

Edit - And I see you, Joker  Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »

Colossal Boy

Home world:  Earth
Powers:  Ability to grow to gigantic size.
First appeared in Action Comics #267 (August 1960), already a member.
Colossal Boy was created by Jerry Siegel and Jim Mooney.

Origin
Gim Allon was born the only son to Wynn and Marte Allon of Earth. He was raised in a patriotic and Jewish family. As a young man, Gim enrolled in the Science Police Training Academy to become a member of the Science Police. While on vacation on Mars with fellow cadet and childhood friend Gigi Cusimano, a strange meteor crashed into the soil near him. The meteor's radiation altered his body's RNA, giving him the power to grow to giant sizes at will. For a short time he used this power to aid him as a Science Police cadet, nearly apprehending the villain who would go on to be the second Starfinger, but his parents encouraged him to pursue justice in other avenues. He joined the Legion of Super-Heroes as an early recruit, alongside fellow applicant Chameleon Boy, whom Gim gave his codename as the other boy reminded him of a chameleon that Gim had as a boy for a pet. The pair were sworn in together and Gim took the name Colossal Boy.

He had an unrequited crush on fellow Legionnaire Shrinking Violet; this crush was only returned when Violet was replaced by a shapeshifting impostor, a Durlan named Yera. The two were married; when the deception was exposed, he discovered that he was still in love with Yera, and they remained married. For a time, Colossal Boy's mother Marte Allon was the President of Earth.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Colossal Boy land?  For me he has landed at #25.

What's your opinion of Colossal Boy?

*Above info found on Wikipedia and Comicvine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:04:54 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 09:41:44 PM »

NOTE:  I have changed the First Appearance information for Chameleon Boy.  I must have pasted it from the wrong field.  It is now correct as he and Colossal boy both appeared in Action Comics #267 (August 1960) as their first appearance.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 12:39:30 AM »

I always kind of dug Gim. I mean, name similarity, I was always a big, tall, large kid, and still stand at 6'4 now. I call him my kindred spirit. Grin
He also fulfills my childhood wish fulfillment to be bigger and smash all others that piss me off. Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »

I always kind of dug Gim ... I call him my kindred spirit. Grin

Cheesy Cool

And Jeff, I didn't even notice anything out of sorts, my bad!!

Man! Where do I place this kid? I enjoy him most when he is grabbing stuff out of the air. Like all the times he has grabbed the front of the Legion Cruiser or a Space Police cycle to save it from some disaster  Grin but what else ...? Not sure. Going to do another total toss of the dice, putting a place holder here for I know I don't place him in the top 10, but not quite sure how far below that he goes. So, near the midway point for now, I guess, around 23? ... close to Saturn Girl for now I think.
And that is no reflection on our Earth bound and HR's own "Colossal T _ _ _"
 Wink

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#30 - Superboy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 12:56:43 AM »

Invisible Kid

Home world:  Earth
Powers:  Invisibility
First appeared in Action Comics #267 (August 1960), already a member.
Invisible Kid was created by Jerry Siegel and Jim Mooney.

Origin
Lyle Norg was a a genius and prodigy in biochemistry. He created a serum that allowed him to turn invisible, and earned a place in the Legion of Super-Heroes as one of its earliest members shortly after Colossal Boy and Chameleon Boy.  His scientific aptitude meant he got along well with the super-intelligent Brainiac 5. His abilities made him a valuable asset to the Legion Espionage Squad, of which he was a permanent member.  Though he often served covertly in the background, Lyle's peers recognized his accomplishments and he was eventually elected the Legion's fourth leader in the team's fifth term.

Lyle was instrumental in helping the Legion win back Earth from its possession by Universo. Following his stint as leader, Lyle began to aid Legion cadet Chemical King in the use of his powers and the two became fast friends. After several years of service, Lyle began to be haunted by a ephemeral girl named Myla. Despite her intangibility, the two got along well and Lyle became romantically interested in her.

When the villain Validus attacked Legion Headquarters to steal a device, Lyle was on invisible guard. He destroyed the device to prevent it from falling into enemy hands, but in the process was caught and crushed by Validus, killing Lyle. Myla then appeared to the Legion, revealing herself a ghost and promising to take care of Lyle in the afterlife. He was mourned by the Legion, especially Chemical King and Brainiac 5.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Invisible Kid land?  For me he has landed at #35.

What's your opinion of Invisible Kid?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:05:25 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »

Sadly this poor kid was born in the wrong era. Much like Invisible Girl during her early years, he was a victim of early Silver Age writing. Most of their panels were either of little consequence, too passive or just boring as hell and made little to no impact on me during the early years of their life, or mine. But while one grew over time, in power and stature, to become a hero that I place easily into my top 10 favorite characters of all time, my beloved Invisible Woman, the other never had time to become anything to me but a heroic sacrifice to the gods of the floppy.

Therefor, with not so great sorrow, I put his place holder way down the list at 41

#03 - Cosmic Boy
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#30 - Superboy
#41 - Invisible Kid

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 12:36:17 AM »

I just remember reading about his history, and just 'knowing' it. It's far more tragic in the remembering of this (pretend) person and the affect he had on others, I would guess. Just reading this? Man, tugs on the heart strings, honestly.

But it sounds like his tales just really weren't that good though, either. *shrugs*

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2019, 01:29:38 AM »

Starboy

Home world:  Xanthu
Powers:  Ability to increase the mass of objects
First appeared in Adventure Comics #282 (March 1961), already a member.

Origin
Thom was born on a orbital satellite over the planet Xanthu in the 30th century. His parents were astronomers and Thom was born with the meta ability to control gravity. After crashing his parents' space cruiser through the tail of a comet, Thom also gained abilities that rivaled that of ancient Kryptonians. Feeling heroic, he adopted the name Star Boy and joined the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Star Boy fell in love with a beautiful new recruit named Dream Girl. Dreamy joined the Legion under false pretenses and ultimately resigned, but Thom still had feelings for her. Dreamy's biggest fan, Kenz Nuhor, was rejected by her because she reciprocated Star Boy's love and so Kenz set out to kill Star Boy. He lured Thom into a trap and would have killed him had Star Boy not shot and killed Kenz in self defense. Having violated the Legion code against killing, a trial was held and Star Boy was found guilty and expelled from the Legion.

Upon his expulsion, Thom was met by Dream Girl and recruited into the Legion of Substitute Heroes. The pair later left the Subs and donned suits of armor to hide their identities as they joined the Legion as Superboy and Supergirl's replacements, per their request. The Legion elected to bring Star Boy and Dream Girl back onto the team despite their past actions. Star Boy served on the Legion for many years and continued his relationship with Dream Girl, even during a strained part of their relationship years later when Dream Girl was elected Legion leader.

While traveling through time, Star Boy became unhinged and came to reside on Earth-22, the Kingdom Come reality. He later used his powers on his costume again to travel to New Earth proper. Shortly upon arriving, Thom discovered that the ancient medicine of that era wasn't enough to keep his schizophrenia in check and he had to cope with his mental illness. This made him lucid enough that he forgot his initial mission, instead taking on the name "Danny Blaine" from a Xanthu pulp hero and deciding to defend Opal City like the Starmen before him. He even took on their codename.

Homeless, he was quickly taken in by Opal's Sunshine Sanitarium to help with his mental confusion. It was there he fell in love with sloppy joes. Shortly thereafter, his heroic efforts in Opal caught the attention of the reformed Justice Society of America and Thom was recruited. He left the JSA after participating in the Lightning Saga crossover then digging up the body of Connor Kent.  With his last mission in the past finally complete, Starman was presumed to return to the future.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Starboy land?  For me he has landed at #9.  I'm sure a lot of that is in no small part because of his adventures with Justice Society.

What's your opinion of Starboy?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:05:43 PM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS