HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:54:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 23, 2019  (Read 8495 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 22, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »

Big list but no hockey this week and I'm almost finished with Punisher Season 2.  I'm feeling industrious.

Marvel Unlimited
Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer 2
Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer 3
Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor2
Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost 3
Hunt for Wolverine: Admantium Agenda 3
Death of the Inhumans 1
Astonishing X-Men 13
Quicksilver: No Surrender 3
New Mutants:  Dead Souls 5
Domino 4
X-Men: Gold 32
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37
Manhunter 38 - Last issue!

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Britannia:  Lost Eagles of Rome 1
Britannia:  Lost Eagles of Rome 2
Britannia:  Lost Eagles of Rome 3
Britannia:  Lost Eagles of Rome 4
Gideon Falls 9
ISOLA Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)
The Sixth Gun Vol 9 - Final Volume!  (Collects issues 48-50 - Wow! Issue 50 was 66 pages!)
Echo Vol 6:  Last Day - Final Volume!  (Collects issues 26-30 plus bonus material)

Re-REading:
Criminal Vol 2: Lawless  (Collects Criminal (2006) issues 6-10
Fell Vol 1: Feral City (Collects Fell issues 1-8)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:59:57 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Death of the Inhumans 1
Astonishing X-Men 13
Domino 4
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Gideon Falls 9
The Sixth Gun Vol 9 - Final Volume!  (Collects issues 48-50 - Wow! Issue 50 was 66 pages!)
Echo Vol 6:  Last Day - Final Volume!  (Collects issues 26-30 plus bonus material)

Re-REading:

Manhunter 35-38 - Well that's it.  Seems like the final issues were rushed and ended with a time jump.  They must have known they were cancelled and just quickly wrapped up.  Left me a little wanting.  Series as a whole was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.  I just wish they could have finished it out a little better.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:59:36 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 02:51:35 AM »

Marvel Unlimited

Death of the Inhumans 1
Astonishing X-Men 13
Domino 4
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Gideon Falls 9

Re-REading:

Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer 2-3 - Sabertooth, Deathstrike, and Daken vs Zombies.  Fun little story and interactions between the three idiots.  Only thing this might have about Wolverine is the name of a company that also shows up.....

Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor 2 - .......here!  Finally got a little connection.  But this is about the X-Ladies vs Viper and her Fem Fatale's in Madripoor.  Not bad.  Not great.  Not a must read.

Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost 3 - Best of the bunch.  It's a detective comic using Daredevil, Cyber, Misty Knight, and Frank for the Inhumans.  I'm enjoying this mini.

Hunt for Wolverine: Admantium Agenda 3 - Worst of the three (might just be b/c of the art).  I'm just getting through it in case that company name comes up again.  Which it could since
Sinister
is the villain.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:00:20 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:15:02 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Death of the Inhumans 1

Astonishing X-Men 13
Domino 4
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Gideon Falls 9

Re-REading:

Death of the Inhumans 1 -  Shocked Shocked Shocked  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
NOT LOCKJAW!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked................ Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »

Death of the Inhumans 1 -  Shocked Shocked Shocked  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
NOT LOCKJAW!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked................ Angry

RIGHT?
But luckily ... COMICS!!!!
 Grin

Okay, as for THIS week
 Cheesy

* = from last week ... or earlier  Undecided

Aquaman #44
Batman #62*
Batman #63
Detective #995*
Freedom Fighters #2
Heroes in Crisis #4*
Shazam #2 (hope this hits better than #1 did)
Wildstorm #19
Electric Warriors #3 - Uh-Oh, things are going south for me with this book. The enjoyment factor is going down. Hope it starts back up with next issue or I may not even finish the last two issues.

Avengers #13
Crypt of Shadows #1
War is Hell #1 - this along with Crypt, two one-shots I have been waiting to read
Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - Cates new ongoing!!!!!!
Friendly Neighborhood Spidey #2 - Can the second issue be as good as the first?
Man Without Fear #4
Marvel Knights 20th #5 - a weak Dr. Doom? What?!?! Something must be up for (this guy) to beat Doom!
Amazing Spider-Man #13 - Having not read an issue for a few months, only because I want to read this in chunks, I decided to see if jumping in at this issue would leave me feeling lost. It did, but not unlike any other comic you just jump into. Seems like old times. Where in the past I would ride my bike up to 7-11 and look for the precious issue (or last two if I got lucky!!), this issue left me feeling like I want to read issue #12 now. That is good for any comic!

Criminal #1*
Die #2 *
Die!³ #5 *
Die!³ #6 *
Die!³ #7
Babyteeth #14 *
Walk Through Hell #7 - Okay, I got lost here. I need to re-read this one. I get it, but I don't get most of it.
Isola #6 - A book this beautiful and well, down right mesmerizing, should be on everyone's "read" list. But a book that takes 10 seconds to read, like this is almost every issue, should not be on anyone's "buy" list. Only buy in trades and then only if the price is right.
That said ... DAMN I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 08:32:08 PM »

NOT LOCKJAW!!!!!!!!

RIGHT?
But luckily ... COMICS!!!!
 Grin

I figured that would be the case but wanted to announce my outrage just in case.   Grin

Shazam #2 (hope this hits better than #1 did)

Your a better man than me.  I dropped after issue 1.

Electric Warriors #3 - Uh-Oh, things are going south for me with this book. The enjoyment factor is going down. Hope it starts back up with next issue or I may not even finish the last two issues.

I decided to wait until the TPB came out to try.  That gives me time to see if you make it to issue 5 or 6.  By then I'll know if you like it enough for me to buy.   Cheesy Grin

Isola #6 - A book this beautiful and well, down right mesmerizing, should be on everyone's "read" list. But a book that takes 10 seconds to read, like this is almost every issue, should not be on anyone's "buy" list. Only buy in trades and then only if the price is right.
That said ... DAMN I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

Take a look at my list.   Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Death of the Inhumans 1
Astonishing X-Men 13

Domino 4
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Gideon Falls 9

Re-REading:

Astonishing X-Men 13 - First issue of Havok’s team and I like it.

Quicksilver: No Surrender 3 - I like the introspect into Quicksilver here even though it’s nothing new.

New Mutants:  Dead Souls 5 - better issue than the past ones.  I guess it’s turning around here at the end.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 01:40:20 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Death of the Inhumans 1
Astonishing X-Men 13
Domino 4
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Gideon Falls 9

Re-REading:

Domino 4 - Shang-Chi!

X-Men: Gold 32 - Just ok.  Not sure if I can get through the writing.  I so want to read about these X-Men.

Cable 159 - Finally this arc is over.  Ready to move on to Extermination.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 03:35:59 AM »

Cable 159 - Finally this arc is over.  Ready to move on to Extermination.

EXACTLY.

This arc had the impact of a syrup soaked pancake tossed off a garage roof.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »

Well don't have too high hopes for extinction.  Smiley Okay, it isn't as bad as all that I suppose, but then again I didn't read the other so I can't compare. I guess it's okay, great art but the story had me a little ... lost I guess? Not being an X reader for a few I only have myself to blame.

Hopefully it will hit better for the rest of you guys, though I am wondering about the end and how that will be taken. If you don't know already.
 Grin

Edit - And Jeff, Re: Lockjaw ... Yes, it hit me the same way. Even when we know, it still hit, it was still sad  Undecided

Edit2 - Oh yeah, guess I could've posted some books, huh?

Added -
Old Man Hawkeye #6
Old Man Hawkeye #7
Old Man Hawkeye #8
- Don't really agree with how they handled Thor (really?) Undecided  but still a great read.
Thor #1 (Re-read)
Asgardians of the Galaxy #5 - With the next "major event" right around the corner ... and I post this --> Undecided even though I am kinda excited about this one  Grin, I figured it was about time I got caught up with the major players. Oh, and while I didn't really enjoy, like or agree with they way Ethan Sacks handled the "Thor thing" in Old Man Hawkeye, I will say that I really do appreciate that it was
the Absorbing Man that did the deed.
A great shout out to the old days!

Aquaman #44
Batman #62
Batman #63
Detective #995
Freedom Fighters #2
Heroes in Crisis #4
Shazam #2
Wildstorm #19
Electric Warriors #3

Avengers #13
War is Hell #1
Man Without Fear #4
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Amazing Spider-Man #13
Crypt of Shadows #1 - Meh. Kind of a let down. Did feel like an older book though, so maybe good for that
Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - Will post about later
Friendly Neighborhood Spidey #2 - I know Jimmy has issues with Nick Spencer, and I get that, mostly  Wink, but I give him major credit getting these two titles (Friendly Neighborhood and Amazing) the creative teams they currently have. Those two Spider titles are knocking it out of the F'n park!! Best Spidey in years, with Friendly being perhaps the surprise of the two  

Criminal #1
Die #2
Die!³ #5  
Die!³ #6
Die!³ #7
Babyteeth #14
Walk Through Hell #7
Isola #6

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:00:06 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »

Batman #62
Batman #63

It’s a good thing your reading these two back to back.  Tom King must be on acid.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »

Batman #62
Batman #63

It’s a good thing your reading these two back to back.  Tom King must be on acid.

Ohhh?
In ter est ing
That moved them up the list!
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »

Aquaman 40-42
AND
Justice League 10 & 11,
AND
Aquaman Justice League 1 (which, is not to be confused with Justice League Aquaman 1 DAMN YOU DC HOW DAMNED DUMB WAS THIS NAMING? SERIOUSLY?! WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? I PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW THE NAME CHANGE, AND BOTH SAID VARIANT COVERS WTF MORONS!!!!)

-Um, towards the end of Drowned Earth, I actually really came to enjoy it. Once the realization of what the old Sea Gods represented, who they were, why they felt that way, and what caused all of it, I felt it was pretty solid in its foundation. A pretty solid Aquaman is the hero we all needed story, without being hammy or kitschy for doing so.

Justice League 12- ok, Joker taking on the LEgion by himself is pretty cool!!

Terrifics 9 & 10-a perfect jumping off point! Lemire finished! The team met their goals! Everyone separates! No need for me to continue!!

Shazam 1- Um...Eaglesham needs to pull back on the delts, traps and lats. Good god. Everyone has a jaw like Stan Smith from 'American Dad' too. That said, it's a start, it's obviously pulling from Johns' Shazam run in the back of the Justice League title from 6 YEARS AGO, but hey, at least it's consistent that way! Still so weird to see Freddie as a long haired blond. Just...not...right to me!

Adventures of Super-sons 4 &5-again, just to say, DAMN YOU BENDIS. This Jon is forever gone now for whatever bullshit you wanted to write. *sigh* **ahem**. Getting back, a really cool dynamic still through these issues, love the Split superboys, and the future dreams of their owns was such a cool meta way to show how they view themselves growing up with each other around.

-minor caveat, I'm sorry about the Bendis bashing. Sorry/not sorry, as I feel that I will be proven right in the end when his stories again become pedestrien without any real consequence or forethought of how to continue to an 'ending' of his arcs or story pushes.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »

This Jon is forever gone now for whatever bullshit you wanted to write.

But is he? What if, and I have no knowledge of this, but what if Bendis only has him age for one arc of one story?

And not to say I don't do the same thing because I do  Grin, but shouldn't we at lest wait to see what the writers plans are before we complain about what they are doing at the start of an arc?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Death of the Inhumans 1
Astonishing X-Men 13
Domino 4
Cable 159

DC Universe
Manhunter 35
Manhunter 36
Manhunter 37

ComiXology
Batman 63
Freedom Fighters 2
Gideon Falls 9

Re-REading:

Batman 63 - Like I said up top. Trippy.

Freedom Fighters 2 - still in the beginnings of this story and so far it’s really good.

Britannia:  Lost Eagles of Rome 1 - 4 - Eh.  Just ok, not great.  I won’t pickup anymore Britannia mini’s.

Gideon Falls 9 - getting closer to some answers I think.

ISOLA Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5) - I’m sure Perry is scared to death I won’t like this.  But he’s in luck! I like it!  Absolutely love the art. A littl Don Blume like but better.  Well that’s not completely correct.  It isn’t cartoonish like that. Very sharp and clean yet mysterious.  I’m making no sense at all but the art makes the book.  This isn’t something I would expect Perry to love so much, story-wise.  I’m seeing our friend in a whole new light.  Seems like we barely got started in these first five issues so I’m looking forward to the next one.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS