HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:22:24 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 16, 2019  (Read 12817 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »

Punisher 227 - still cool stuff. Can't believe I enjoy War Machine Frank so much!

Scarlet Spider 20-21 - okay, seriously why is this being published? Why am I still reading it? It's so pedestrian...like the 5th monthly Spider-man title back in the 90s.

Deadpool 1-2 -Hey! I'm liking the new writer actually! AFter Duggan's 10 years, that's a hard follow up!

Doctor Strange 1-3 - Hey Mark Waid can write books that I still enjoy!! What a weird thing of 'magic hunting in space' but man, it's cool to see right now.

Immortal Hulk 2 - heh heh, old Tales from the Crypt type storytelling. Cool thing here. Love the monster that is Hulk

Tony Stark: Iron Man 1- it continues the narrative, that is firmly in place, that all Stark tech is magic, unlimited, and easy to make. I know that this is the norm, but when it's too...'big' then I lose the narrative and fall away from the story.

Darkhawk Infinity 1-4- what big goofy stuff, with big notes on Shi'ar origin that won't mean anything past these 4 issues

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 08:10:06 PM »

Doctor Strange 3 - Another good issue.  A bit surprised Strange did...what he did (Don't want to spoil).  Me thinks that will come back to haunt him later.

Not to push a spoiler on you, but ...  Grin

I knew it!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 02:13:20 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605
Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43
X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33
Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7
The Sixth Gun: Dust to Death TPB
Echo TPB Vol 5: Black Hole

Umbrella Academy Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
CRIMINAL, VOL. 1: COWARD

Manhunter 34 - Heading towards the final four issues.  Interesting that this problem never goes away.  I'm offended by the way they cast my fellow Texans but it only strengthens my belief that nobody wants to listen to the other side of any issue these days.

Justice League Dark 7 - Nice homage to the old horror comic books with Man-Bat acting as the narrator.  I keep thinking I want to drop this but somehow get pulled back in.

The Sixth Gun: Dust to Death TPB - Interesting backstory to the Indians and to Billjohn.  Man, Billjohn.

Echo TPB Vol 5: Black Hole - This is such a great series.  I can't believe there's only one more trade left for me to read and then it's over.  I will miss these characters.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:20:57 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 04:38:57 PM »

Ant-man & The Wasp 2-3- Nope, not worth it after all. I don't care for this in any manner. It's not funny enough, it's not fantastic enough, it's not engaging enough. Continuing to make Scott Lang the most incompetent human ever here is a foolish mandate taken too far. This Scott Lang does not resemble any Englehart Avenger Ant-Man to me. I'm done reading this anymore.What the hell, Waid?

Astonshing X-men 13- so, new writer (Rosenberg, who I like), and a completely different tone from Bunn's ending in 12...whcih was fine, because that first year fell apart to me. What I like here is seeing Alex Summers with a personality beyond 'I'm Scott's little brother.' I'm glad to see how flawed he is; his hubris at being 'an original X-men searched out by Xavier' falling apart in the face of, oh, reality around him! was good reading. However, I hate Reavers in all forms. So, negative there for me. I'm...cautiously optimistic currently about this.

Thor 2 - I know it's only Del mundo's second published Thor issue, but I feel I've read this terrible looking book for years. I just dread doing it. Considering that THIS IS THE ONLY MARVEL BOOK I PURCHASE (when traded), I curl my lip at buying this. Thori is fantastic. Love to see those characters lost in Hel return. And what an ending!!

Spectacular Spider-man Annual 1 - JJJ focused issue of how he deals with
knowing Spider-man's ID
. But a big element change to the Spidey mythos, but for righ tnow, I'm really enjoying it in the read, as it feels that it is being done right.

And now the one with the big comments...

Old Man Logan 43.
WOW
First off, I love the pull of all the characters from the Bullseye mini and Kingpin mini. I know much of that crossed over into prior OML issues, so I love those 2 'universes' merging.

But man...my heart just breaks for the reporter. A recovering drunk, trying to get her life back right, trying to see her kids more, a job that meant knowing the Kingpin got her involved with circles of his, which meant Bullseye, and now she's dead. Uh. What a punch to the stomach. Took the air out of me.
Couple that with how...psychopathically homicidal this makes Bullseye; it only goes back to prior comments I had within the Bullseye mini. The actions of this man are devestating. Seeing the full room of dead bodies? Presumably, those aren't the nicest of people. That contractor for the contract killers probably didn't deal with the creme de le creme of society but the butchery that Bullseye shows here makes him unhinged in the worst kind of manner. I...have a hard time with the trappings that wrap this villain up with now.
Glad to see the CIA agent back; I'm glad her story is not finished.
I hope Bullseye gets killed.
But it won't happen.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »

Manhunter 34 - Heading towards the final four issues.  Interesting that this problem never goes away.  I'm offended by the way they cast my fellow Texans but it only strengthens my belief that nobody wants to listen to the other side of any issue these days.

Hmmm, I wish I could reread them and see what you mean, but I can't. I didn't take anything from it like that. I mean not in a  "All Republicans are bad" kinda way. Not saying it WASN'T there, just saying If it was there it totally went over my head
 Cheesy
If its just a Texan thing, then yeah, it was probably accurate.
 Wink
 Grin
(just kidding, I really don't remember anything bad like that)
 Undecided
Edit to add -

.... However, I hate Reavers in all forms.  

RIGHT THERE WITH YA!!!!
 Angry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:35:33 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »

Multiple Man 1- kooky and weird, as how Jamie has now been established by PAD , the blah art just makes me think this book will unremarkable. Not that I want Jim Lee on it, but the storytelling and art definitions of panels and movements were very pedestrian.

Amazing Spider-man 1 - I feel like I'm being slightly pandered to-I, of the crowd that still utterly hates Marvel for One More Day. It's an entire tease of 'going back to the comic ways of Spidey you loved!' Not that I wish to buy these issues, but I feel like it will still just end up being a letdown in the end. However, I was fine reading the issue, even if it continues to hightlight what a f***ing moron Peter Parker is-and that's what makes him a loser; as opposed to a guy who cant' seem to win against the world. There's a difference. Marvel doesn't seem to have an editor that understands that.  (looking at you Nick Lowe for the past decade)

Avengers 3-4 - I'm kind of saying..."sure?" is how I feel reading this. It doesn't feel like bigger and bigger stakes. It just feels like pretend important mumbo jumbo. Highly indifferent right here. Manipulating the various threads to all reach near to the same point at the same time hasn't created tension to me; it's only served to make me annoyed that we still haven't reached a point of understanding.

Heh. I"m not even in a bad mood or anything, but most my recent reviews make it seem like I think everything is crap! I'm just not moved, is all. Although, Deadpool 2 did move me some. Grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:09:43 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »

Hawkman 6 & 7 - I think I'll find the thread to talk about this

Terrifics 8- 2 issues to go!!!

The Green Lantern 2 - very VERY different storytelling of the GL Corps and Hal...but I dig it. OH, I don't love it yet. I'm not overawed and how Morrison writes each issue, but I find it to be very good in the telling. I"m enjoying the path of the telling. So, I'm a reader.

Deathstroke 37 -omg that ending!!! I love not knowing how this story is progressing!! This volume of comics by Priest may soon join other works of his that I continually reread!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 01:49:45 AM »

Heh. I"m not even in a bad mood or anything, but most my recent reviews make it seem like I think everything is crap!

LOL.  I was LITERALLY just thinking this when you actually said it!   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:14 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605
Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43
X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33
Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7
The Sixth Gun: Dust to Death TPB
Echo TPB Vol 5: Black Hole
Umbrella Academy Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
CRIMINAL, VOL. 1: COWARD

Finished both of my "re-reads" and with that, I'm done with my list.

Umbrella Academy Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite - Oh that's right!  That's who these people are!  Now it all comes back to me and the current series will make more sense.

CRIMINAL, VOL. 1: COWARD - Now this was fun to re-read.  I had forgotten all about Leo and his strong connection to the Lawless family.  I hear the new series has a pretty good re-cap and family tree chart of all the characters so it's not necessary to re-read all of these.  I'm still going to do it since they were all on sale for $4.49 each.  That's a cheap collected edition.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 03:20:10 PM »

Man, I lost a day.
Having the wife off Monday really threw me all kinds of out of wack. So now I have to seperate the ones I read last night, thinking it was Wednesday Night
 Undecided

Okay,  the ones I think I read before yesterday night are ... I think ...  Cheesy

Batman #62
Detective #995
Heroes in Crisis #4
The Green Lantern #3 - Started out fine, but then around halfway that piss-poor pacing came alive once more. Ugh
Young Justice #1 - Ummm, how do I feel about this? Well, do you remember Avengers Disassembled? Well this reads JUST LIKE THAT, but on the reverse. People coming together in a maelstrom. No, not the best, but ... I do have a couple strikes against me going in.
- Not much of a fan of Bendis on "team" books
- Was out of comics (primarily) when Impulse was a thing so I have no connection/feeling there
- Not much of a Supes fan so not really familiar with the Supes peeps from that or from John's stuff as ...
- Have not read Johns Teen Titans (*ducks ...) so no connection with anyone from that
I did like the new "Hex" character, but I think the new GL character will soon cancel that out as I am not a fan of adding yet ANOTHER F'n GL of Earth. I mean, all other planets/systems/sectors have to get by with just one sole Lantern but Earth is now going to have seven? SEVEN?!?!?!
 Roll Eyes
I think the nostalgie love will be there for this book, but as I am very limited with that feeling (and I didn't enjoy this book very much) I may just be out before I get to the third issue of the three issue try.
 Undecided

Venom #10
Avengers #12 - A fun romp adding some ... characters to the team, kinda  Wink (But that art  Undecided !?)
Conan #2 - Even better than issue #1. Aaron + Conan is better than any two items paired before.
Invaders #1 - Love the way this ties into both Avengers and the Defenders Namor issue. Like this. A lot.
Marvel Comics Presents #1 - Found out this is NOT a one-shot. A nice ongoing to add. I like Anthologies though
Uncanny X-Men #10 - Well do we now get to the new start of X-Men that Marvel has tried to get to for the last 5 years? No. I heard the next X-Men thing (which just had its 3rd attempt at a start with this past weekly Uncanny run) is running behind schedule again so Rosenburg's run is kinda doing a detour until ... something or sometime. Still going in with open heart on this one. Starting next issue.

Criminal #1
Die #2
Die!³ #5
Die!³ #6
Bayteeth #14
Walk Through Hell #7
Isola #6

Added- (Thanks to Jeff)
Old Man Hawkeye #1 (re-read)
Old Man Hawkeye #2
Old Man Hawkeye #3
Old Man Hawkeye #4
Old Man Hawkeye #5
- Man, I like this Ethan Sacks guy. He is writing up a storm here. Already signed up for his upcoming Old Man Quill maxi starting in ... April? Who knew a writer from NBC News and the New York Daily could write characters so well?  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »

Added- (Thanks to Jeff)
Old Man Hawkeye #1 (re-read)
Old Man Hawkeye #2
Old Man Hawkeye #3
Old Man Hawkeye #4
Old Man Hawkeye #5
- Man, I like this Ethan Sacks guy. He is writing up a storm here. Already signed up for his upcoming Old Man Quill maxi starting in ... April? Who knew a writer from NBC News and the New York Daily could write characters so well?  Smiley

Glad you are liking this as much as me.  He's writing Old Man Quill?  I'm in!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS