HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:31:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 9, 2019  (Read 5825 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 10, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »

Let's try this again....

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Doctor Strange 2
Daredevil 604
Cable 158
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62
Birthright 32
Deathstroke 39
The Green Lantern 3
Ninja-K 14
Oblivion Song 10
X-O Manowar 21
The Sixth Gun: Dust to Death TPB
Echo TPB Vol 5: Black Hole

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »

Okay ... man, this is turning out to be a bigger week than I thought it was going to end up being. Yeah, shocking, huh?

What I am gonna try and get through. Again, TRY. I have no doubt I will not make it all the way through and have no doubt that something, some title, will be added to this list before the week is out, but I am hoping that my knowing and acknowledging all that in advance will help me, mentally
 Cheesy

Batman #62
Detective #995
Heroes in Crisis #4
The Green Lantern #3
Young Justice #1 (Bendis' new teen team book. Hoping I don't like it. Don't need yet another title  Cheesy)
Justice League #14
Justice League #15 (Yea, I know, I said I was done, but Tynion doing more writing now)

Avengers #12
Captain Marvel #1
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1
Immortal Hulk #11
Uncanny X-Men #8
Uncanny X-Men #9

Umbrella Academy v1: Apocalypse Suite (trying to get done before the show starts!)
Criminal #1
Die #2
Die!³ #5 (Tired of typing Die!Die!Die!  Cheesy)
Die!³ #6

Was told I needed to read The Whispering Dark, suppose to be another good horror title, but I rejected it for this week. Too much already. Even still, I have to go back to the LCS to read a couple issues, so I hope I can stay away from it while there.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:05:46 PM »

Off to the LCS, but so far ...

Batman #62
Detective #995
Heroes in Crisis #4
The Green Lantern #3
Young Justice #1
Justice League #14
Justice League #15

Avengers #12
Captain Marvel #1
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1
Immortal Hulk #11 - Probably the weakest of the bunch so far, but still interesting
Uncanny X-Men #8
Uncanny X-Men #9
- Ugh, just not interested in this story at all. One more issue of this and then Rosenburg gets the title by himself. Then I shall see if I still want to read this.

Umbrella Academy v1: Apocalypse Suite
Criminal #1
Die #2
Die!³ #5
Die!³ #6

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Doctor Strange 2
Daredevil 604
Cable 158
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62
Birthright 32
Deathstroke 39
The Green Lantern 3
Ninja-K 14
Oblivion Song 10
X-O Manowar 21

Yep your seeing that right.  Only one comic so far.

This is how my week went last week.  Thursday morning I had a root canal done.  You can imagine how much fun that was.  I worked from home Thursday night since I knew the pain killer would wear off.  Well, Thursday night, my wife comes to me while I'm working and tells me her arm is hurting and her fingers are tingling.  We check her blood pressure and it's a little high.  So we go up to CVS and use their BP machine.  It's even higher.  We go over to the ER and it is in critical level.  Next thing I know they are shoving tubes in her and running a bunch of tests.  And it looks like she's having a mild heart attack.  Except no pain in the chest.  But better safe than sorry.  We're in the ER for 6 hours (2am) and they decide to check her into the main hospital for observation.  Around 5am the pain comes back and they finally give her something to lower her blood pressure.  Apparently the ER doc forgot to order the meds earlier (We over heard the nurses talking about it in the hall).  That finally worked but they kept us there until 2pm Friday.  Turns out to be a pinched nerve which created the arm pain and the pain caused the BP to go up.  Once it was up her body freaked out and it couldn't go down on its own.  I got her home around 3pm Friday and she slept until Saturday morning.

And of course - Saturday was her birth day.  She did feel good enough to go out to eat Saturday night so we at least ended on a good note.

What a crazy week!

So yeah, one comic.  But it was pretty good!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:59:04 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
ADD:  Venom 3

Doctor Strange 2
Daredevil 604
Cable 158
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62
Birthright 32
Deathstroke 39
The Green Lantern 3
Ninja-K 14
Oblivion Song 10
X-O Manowar 21

Venom 1-3 - Oops.  I thought I had issue 3 on my list and kept on reading.  I guess that should tell you that the story is pretty good.  It's a least interesting.  I don't know that much about the symbiotes so I don't know if this re-writing their history or not but I like it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:44:17 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:05:40 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Venom 3
Doctor Strange 2
Cable 158
Thor 2

Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7
Daredevil 604
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62
Birthright 32
Deathstroke 39
The Green Lantern 3
Ninja-K 14
Oblivion Song 10
X-O Manowar 21

Three more down.

Doctor Strange 2 - Love the art on this comic and Dr Strange in outer space is turning into a good story.  This issue was much better than the first.

Cable 158 - Not enjoying this arc that much.  Ready to get through it and move on to Cable's next chapter.

Thor 2 - I love Jason Aaron on Thor.  Just a lot of fun.  And Thori the dog is fast becoming my favorite character.   Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:10:47 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:01:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Venom 3
Doctor Strange 2
Cable 158
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

Daredevil 604
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62
Birthright 32
Deathstroke 39
The Green Lantern 3
Ninja-K 14
Oblivion Song 10
X-O Manowar 21

Looks like I'm making up for lost time.  Cruising through 4 more!

Sentry 1 - Jeff Lemire never ceases to impress.  This is starting out good!

Old Man Hawkeye 6 - Love seeing Kate Bishop of the Wasteland in this issue.  Another fun series.

Multiple Man 1 - Jamie Madrox at his normal.  Pure crazy!  I like it and I'm glad he's back.

Marvel Two in One 7 - The art was terrible on this issue.  Just rolling through the motions on this issue.  Only bad one of the four I just finished.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:08:17 AM »

Damn Jeff!! Glad to hear the missus is okay then!! But what a turn of events!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:38:43 AM »

Heroes in Crisis 2 & 3
The Green Lantern 1

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 03:41:32 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Venom 3
Doctor Strange 2
Cable 158
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

Daredevil 604
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62
Birthright 32
Deathstroke 39
The Green Lantern 3
Ninja-K 14
Oblivion Song 10
X-O Manowar 21

Wow!  I really busted through things tonight.  I didn't know I had it in me.

Manhunter 25-30 - This is that Wonder Woman arc you kept mentioning, Perry.  It was good.  And I liked the Blue Beetle twist in it all.  Only 8 issues left in the series!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:12 AM »

Damn Jeff!! Glad to hear the missus is okay then!! But what a turn of events!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks Jimmy.  Yes, it was a whirlwind!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:22 PM »

Jeez Jeff, now I feel guilty about you telling her to not celebrate her birthday during the playoffs
 Hope all is and stays better for a long time. OF course it sucks you had to deal with all that directly after having your mouth gouged out.
 Shocked
Good job on your part.
 Cool
Yep, hope both of you are doing well now

Venom 1-3 - Oops.  I thought I had issue 3 on my list and kept on reading ...  I don't know that much about the symbiotes so I don't know if this re-writing their history or not but I like it.

Well, slight spoilers that came before this run that you may even know, but if you don't and if you want to know ...
It has been set in the Marvel U that there is a planet of Symbiotes.
Again, you may be well aware of that and it isn't THAT big of a deal, but Cates ... well ... I am not going to say anything else.
 Cheesy
Yes, this Venom run is crazy good and I say that as a guy that has never been interested in the character.

Sentry 1 - Jeff Lemire never ceases to impress.  This is starting out good!

Man this was good. Helped to be caught up with the Sentry, so if you are not you may want to go back and read the last series, but you don't NEED to. It just helped a little with knowing who was who, but you get it all in this mini soooo  ...
Of course what really sucks is that Lemire left after #5
 Undecided
While the series does end, it is not ending on a cliffhanger per se, it did leave off open ended. Would have loved to seen what he was going to do.
 Undecided

Old Man Hawkeye 6 - Love seeing Kate Bishop of the Wasteland in this issue.  Another fun series.

Damn it. I am gonna have to finish this. I stopped after issue one or two saying I was going to return when it is done and I forgot all about it. Your praise just feeds my will.
 Grin

Multiple Man 1 - Jamie Madrox at his normal.  Pure crazy!  I like it and I'm glad he's back.

DUDE!! This started amazing!!! Sadly, I got lost about issue #3 or so (there is a LOT going on) so I need to reread to get the most out of this. I hope you get it in one.  Smiley I mean, I understood the gist of it, but I feel I lost some of the nuance of it.
 Undecided

Marvel Two in One 7 - The art was terrible on this issue.  Just rolling through the motions on this issue.  Only bad one of the four I just finished.

Stop now
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(Just kidding. I know I started to hate this soon after issue #7, but I hope you and Jimmy enjoy it more than I did.!!)

Manhunter 25-30 - This is that Wonder Woman arc you kept mentioning, Perry.  It was good.  And I liked the Blue Beetle twist in it all.  Only 8 issues left in the series!

So happy it was good for you. No, wait, what? Hahaha, seriously though, I didn't enjoy that arc at all. I liked the idea of it (the trial for ... well, you know) but it just didn't hit for me.

Knocking out more from the list ... and of course more from not on the list
 Cheesy

Batman #62
Detective #995
Heroes in Crisis #4
The Green Lantern #3
Young Justice #1
Justice League #14
Justice League #15
- I like the idea of this (something like a Game of Thrones arc *wink*) but still ... I don't know  Undecided

Avengers #12
Immortal Hulk #11
Uncanny X-Men #8
Uncanny X-Men #9

Captain Marvel #1 - An okay issue that covers yet glosses over the piss poor Bendis stuff with Carol
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 - Tom Taylor does (yes I'm gonna say it) an AMAZING job with this issue. Like the other Spider-Man titles, I thought this was going to be a one and done issue. Nope, this is good. Spider-Man being Spider-Man in his local Neighborhood, all while being friendly? Sure. I will get that!!
Added-
Superior Spider-Man #1 - No capture magic in the bottle again. Maybe just not for me?
Miles Morales Spider-Man #1
Miles Morales Spider-Man #2
- Tried tow issues and I just don't enjoy the art. The writing is fine, but doesn't win out.
Man Without Fear #2 - Great artwork once again. I likey this.
The Punisher #6 - Okay, Okay, I know. I said I was done, but I just had to try and hey, glad I did. Nice little turn here that redeems the issue I had with the title. See, sometimes you just have to calm down, hang in and peace out!

Criminal #1
Die #2
Die!³ #5
Die!³ #6
Umbrella Academy v1: Apocalypse Suite - Finished this and ... I have no idea how they are going to do this as a show.  Cheesy I am going to watch it, for sure, I just don't see a series here. But hey, if they go crazy it may just work.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:53:55 PM »

Umbrella Academy v1: Apocalypse Suite - Finished this and ... I have no idea how they are going to do this as a show.  Cheesy I am going to watch it, for sure, I just don't see a series here. But hey, if they go crazy it may just work.

I'm going to have to go back and read this myself.  It's vaguely coming back to me as I read the latest series but would be nice to have it fresh on the brain.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 03:13:27 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Venom 3
Doctor Strange 2
Cable 158
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

Daredevil 604
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

ComiXology
Batman 62 - This issue was like Mister Miracle in terms of Tom King weirdness.  Awesome!
Birthright 32 - Getting repetitive.  I think its time to wrap this story up.
Deathstroke 39 - Man this whole Arkham arc is trippy!  This was a good issue as we're coming to a close soon...I think.  Is this real?
The Green Lantern 3 - I'm starting to adjust to the Morrison tone but its not easy after the past few years on GL.  What a cliff hanger!
Ninja-K 14 - Well that was it. The end of the series.  Until Summer 2019 when the next series comes out!   Cheesy
Oblivion Song 10 - the twists keep on coming.  Unfortunately, the art remains constant.  Getting harder and harder for me to finish this b/c of the art.  The story keeps me coming back but man, they need a new artist.
X-O Manowar 21  This is some weird art.  Almost '70's Conan-esque.  

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »

X-O Manowar 21  This is some weird art.  Almost '70's Conan-esque.  

I know, right? Still the only Valiant title I am sticking with, for now  Wink.
I hope they can pull me back in to other titles later, but the current offerings by Valiant are nothing I want to read, sadly  Undecided

As for my list, I read nothing else.
I started Bendis' new Young Justice, but fell asleep. Was it the book or just me?
 Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS