HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:42:50 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 26, 2018 - Last Comicbook Day of 2018!  (Read 7355 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 26, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »

I'm going to close out the year by hitting my Marvel list.  I'll go after the ComiXology list if I have time.  And then at some point I need to finish off Manhunter.  More likely I'll get to that next year.

Marvel Unlimited
Dazzler: X-Song 1
Doctor Strange 1
Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost 2
Immortal Hulk 1
Infinity Countdown 4
Domino #3
Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #2
Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk #2
Marvel 2-In-One Annual #1
New Mutants: Dead Souls #4
Old Man Logan #41
Quicksilver: No Surrender #2
Thor #1

ComiXology
Batman 61
Black Hammer: Age of Doom 7
Black Hammer: Cthu-Louise
Quantum Age 5
Die 1
Die!Die!Die! 5
Freedom Fighters 1
Hit Girl 9
Hit Girl 10
Kick-Ass 7
Kick-Ass 8
Kick-Ass 9
Kick-Ass 10
Prodigy 1
Redneck 17
The Walking Dead 186
The Wicked + The Divine 40

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 05:52:06 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »

Decided to go for it anyway, huh?
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »

Decided to go for it anyway, huh?
 Smiley

Yes - I totally forgot the advice you gave me when I clicked "Buy".   Grin

Still - it's a one shot so it won't necessarily break the bank.  And like you said - with Lemire and this world it will eventually tie in somewhere.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 1
Immortal Hulk 1

Infinity Countdown 4
Domino #3
Old Man Logan #41
Thor #1

ComiXology
Batman 61
Quantum Age 5
Die 1
Die!Die!Die! 5
Freedom Fighters 1
Hit Girl 9
Hit Girl 10
Kick-Ass 7
Kick-Ass 8
Kick-Ass 9
Kick-Ass 10
Prodigy 1
Redneck 17
The Walking Dead 186

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

Dazzler: X-Song 1 - Good thing this was a one shot.  I didn't like this at all.

Doctor Strange 1 - This I like.  The art is amazing.  Reminds me of the 70's.  At first I was like "Not ANOTHER lost magic story.  That's three in a row."  But the turn into outer space captured my attention.  I'll give Waid time to build this story.

Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost 2 - Standard storyline.  Not mind blowing, not bad.

Immortal Hulk 1 - This I loved.  Great art.  Great story.  I'm all in for this ride.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 10:36:18 PM »

Dazzler: X-Song 1 - Good thing this was a one shot.  I didn't like this at all.

Yep. I was going to warn you, but it was one of those that were so bad to me, I thought someone else may like it  Cheesy

Doctor Strange 1 - This I like.  The art is amazing.  Reminds me of the 70's. 

Agree. And it gets fun ... ner ... funner Cheesy

Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost 2 - Standard storyline.  Not mind blowing, not bad.

Yep, most of it is.

Immortal Hulk 1 - This I loved.  Great art.  Great story.  I'm all in for this ride.

Wow, we are all on board the Hulk. Good stuff.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 03:29:27 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 1
Immortal Hulk 1
Infinity Countdown 4
Domino #3

Old Man Logan #41
Thor #1

ComiXology
Batman 61
Quantum Age 5

Die 1
Die!Die!Die! 5
Freedom Fighters 1
Hit Girl 9
Hit Girl 10
Kick-Ass 7
Kick-Ass 8
Kick-Ass 9
Kick-Ass 10
Prodigy 1
Redneck 17
The Walking Dead 186

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

Infinity Countdown 4 - Oh man!!  I was not ready for
Lifebringer to go back to being Galactus.  There were more stories to tell!  Bummer.
 But the change does make things interesting.  Especially with..
The Surfer being his herald again.

Domino #3 - Average comic and average story.  I wouldn't pay for this but I like reading it for free.

Black Hammer: Age of Doom 7 - 1st reaction - WTF?  This was too weird even for Black Hammer.
Black Hammer: Cthu-Louise - Whoa that was creepy.  I liked it.  Can't see this tying in with the rest of the world.
Quantum Age 5 - HOLY EFFING MOTHER OF PEARL!  MIND BLOWN.

Reading the BH comics together raised my opinion of Age of Doom 7.  Hmmm.  Can't say anything w/o spoiling so......
Having Colonel Weird as the focal for both Age of Doom 7 and Quantum Age 5 really tied the stories together.
  And then that ending to Quantum!  Wow!  Sooo cool and clearly bringing the resolution to Black Hammer into this book.  Which makes me believe Cthu-Louise isn't just a one shot and done with that character.  I would be shocked if we don't see her again.

I totally love the Black Hammer universe.  Still my favorite series.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 1
Immortal Hulk 1
Infinity Countdown 4
Domino #3
Old Man Logan #41

Thor #1

ComiXology
Batman 61
Quantum Age 5

Die 1
Die!Die!Die! 5
Freedom Fighters 1
Hit Girl 9
Hit Girl 10
Kick-Ass 7
Kick-Ass 8
Kick-Ass 9
Kick-Ass 10
Prodigy 1
Redneck 17
The Walking Dead 186

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #2 - Standard type story continues.  I wonder if I'd like it more if it didn't have that fake Hunt for Wolverine title on it.

Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk #2 - I like all of this except the Robbie Ryder part.  They should have used someone else.

Marvel 2-In-One Annual #1 - Hmmm.  I liked this issue just fine but not sure I like what this may mean for future stories.

New Mutants: Dead Souls #4 - Not sure why I'm still reading this.  Just for the characters I guess.  

Old Man Logan #41 - My OCD wants to finish out this series.  I'm so ready for the real Wolverine to be back.

Die!Die!Die! 5 - Man this series is something else.  I love it but it can be disgusting at times.  This isn't one of those times but still a whole lot of fun.

Manhunter 19 - Finale to the Daddy arc.  Next issue is the 1 Year Later jump all DC Comics did back when this was published.  Should be fun!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:18:01 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 02:17:54 AM »

I just bought $84 in comics today.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Haven 't bought my comics since October 13th I think....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 02:50:54 AM »

Holy Cow!!  Will you get them all read this week??   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 02:55:48 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 1
Immortal Hulk 1
Infinity Countdown 4
Domino #3
Old Man Logan #41
Thor #1

ComiXology
Batman 61
Quantum Age 5

Die 1
Die!Die!Die! 5
Freedom Fighters 1
Hit Girl 9
Hit Girl 10
Kick-Ass 7
Kick-Ass 8
Kick-Ass 9
Kick-Ass 10
Prodigy 1
Redneck 17
The Walking Dead 186

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

I got in the last two Marvel's before calling it a night:

Quicksilver: No Surrender #2 - Getting better but still not great.

Thor #1 - I think Perry said the art doesn't work on this.  I couldn't agree more.  It's awful.  I was thinking of letting this go then I read the second story in the issue with the future All Father Thor and his granddaughters.  Art was good on it and the story was awesome.  I'll have to stay on this for awhile since the next part of the All Father Thor isn't until issue 5.  And with...
Wolverine Phoenix?!?!?  What the???
...I have to see how that goes.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 04:53:10 AM »

Holy Cow!!  Will you get them all read this week??   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Bwahaha

Right! I only bought comics because I was finally down to the last 8 comics I bought back in October! LOL Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »

YAY, Jimmy "
re-upped"
 Grin

Funny thing, I haven't been able to get that damn Venom movie out of my head. I talked to one of my brothers about it (the film student one ... he is a huge Tom Hardy fan) telling him how I felt Hardy was great, but badly miscast. I talked to a Venom fan about it, and how it was not good at all, but something about it I found fun. And finally I have even dreamt about the darn movie a couple times. That being the case, I took a trip to the good ole LCS yesterday and sat my butt down and read the newest Venom trade by Donny Cates ... and grabbed a couple issues to go as well
 Wink

I tried the first issue a few months back and thought of it well enough, but I have never been a Venom fan, not truly, so I decided to just throw it on the back burner, into the pile of "I will get to it later". I guess it wanted to be read now as I couldn't get the movie out of my head, I think it was calling to me
 Grin

The small bit I have gotten through so far -

Uncanny X-Men #7 - Again, just going through the motion until issue #11 with this title
Venom #1 - Re-Read
Venom #2
Venom #3
Venom #4
Venom #5
Venom #6
Venom #7
- Man, this is pretty F'n cool. I have no idea if Jimmy would like this or not as it really changes things. Well, no, it really expands on things that were changed before Cates came on the comic, so it isn't really his fault if people don't like the new status-quo
 Cheesy
I find this to be a great little comic. And yes, better than the movie ... whic since I started reading this comic, I no longer think about
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

Knocked out a couple more -

Venom #8
Venom #9
- Now up to date on Venom. This is good. I hope to stay on top of this one.
Immortal Hulk #7
Immortal Hulk #8
Immortal Hulk #9
Immortal Hulk #10
- Wow, the ending of issue #7 may get to some people. It is certainly taking this title to an even bolder direction, for sure, but I like it. I will/would understand peoples reactions towards the negative, but I think it works the same way ... Well ... that would be spoiling it. Can't wait for everyone to get here. Just for the comments.
 Cheesy
EDIT - Forgot about this one ...
X-Force #1 - Another comic that was forced upon me. I need to stay away from these hands heading towards my face, giving more more to read.  Cheesy I had no intention of reading this or even flipping through it but ... Yeah, It is odd but it is also oddly fun. Surprise of the week

Uncanny X-Men #7
Venom #1
Venom #2
Venom #3
Venom #4
Venom #5
Venom #6
Venom #7
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:51:10 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

Yeah... Venom pushed onto me as a character I simply just don't get behind. I prefer his very early horror angle of the monster that couldn't be stopped.

Suffice to say, I've been very 'eh'to his continued use over the last 18 years.  Cool. And I've tried to get into it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »

I’m not a Venom fan either.  He did give Flash Thompson some new life but I still haven’t been able to get into the character.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS