HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 06:39:31 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 12, 2018  (Read 6008 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 12, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »

I’m going to stick to clearing out my ComiXology library this week.  Should be doable me thinks.

ComiXology
Batman 59
Batman 60
Batman Annual 3
Deathstroke 38
Doomsday Clock 8
Green Lantern 2
Heroes In Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Justice League Dark 6
Shazam 1
Superman 6
The Terrifics 10
Birthright 33
Die!Die!Die! 4
Gideon Falls 8
My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
Ninja-k 13
Oblivion Song 9
Quantum Age 4
Redneck 16
Seven to Eternity 12
Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 2
Walking Dead 185
The Wicked + the Divine: The Funnies 1
X-O Manowar 20

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »

Going to transfer over the ones I didn't get to from last week to here, but there are lots of new stuff this week that has me excited so combine that with my always persistent "out of thin air" reads and ... yeah, who knows how this will go?

DC New Talent Showcase
Batman Annual #3 (I think)
The Batman Who Laughs #1
Batman Damned #1 - as a re-read for ...
Batman Damned #2
Electric Warriors #2
Superman #6
Supergirl #25 (maybe my last issue)
Hawkman #7 - Was going to drop this, but was told that this issue contains the now definitive origin of Hawkman, for now, so I decided to give it another shot and at least read it to see what DC landed on for his "true origin".

Uncanny X-Men #5
The Black Order #1
The Black Order #2
Defenders Best Defense: Silver Surfer #1
Defenders Best Defense: Doctor Strange #1
Avengers #11 (with the return of McGuinness art  Undecided)
Fantastic Four Wedding Special  Undecided Cry Angry

Black Hammer: Cthu-Louise #1
Black Hammer: Quantum Age #5
Magic Order #5
Alien 3 (Gibson's Screenplay) #2
Cemetery Beach #4 (not going to read yet, but to have when I do)

And from last week -

The Dreaming #4
The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Books of Magic #2

Dr. Strange #9
Fantastic Four #4   Undecided Cry Angry
Marvel Two-in-One #10
Marvel Two-in-One #11
Marvel Two-in-One #12

Die #1
Prodigy #1
Die!Die!Die! #5
Redneck #17

Hahaha, yeah, no way.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »

I read ! ! ! !

All the Dr. Strange Damnation stuff (with Iron Fist & Scarlet Spider tie-ins). I was okay with it. I really was. Well, I think it started like crap (Oh, Dr. Strange just does this thing! Watch what happens!) So that seemed really too far out there. I was more sad to learn that Iron Fist was ending as a book. If anything, I did love the knock out shot that Wong had set up with Ghost Rider-I felt that was inspired writing! The resolution? Or rather the aftermath? Okay, that seems really stupid. That gets a --> Roll Eyes

Also read the final issue of Totally Awesome Hulk. S'okay. I liked watching Cho succumb to the Hulk-which was his debased feelings made personified. I was glad to have read it. Not following it to Champions.

Immortal Hulk-okay, this I loved! I love Bennett's art making the Hulk look Hulkish, instead of just huge and green and good looking. I love the fearsome looking brute. Great first issue.

Also read Daredevil 602. Still deciding how much more Daredevil I may read...even for 'free' on Unlimited. It's so singularly focused, and feels llike it's lacking nuance that it's just boring.

What else?...hmm..first part of 'Sink Atlantis!' in Aquaman. Not buying the Suicide iSsquad issue tie in. Meh is what I feel.

Justice League 7, or 8, or whatever the resolution was. AGain...not ...in love with Snyder's voice here, of the narrator hero fawning voice telling the story. Or whatever.

Hawkman 5 was cool, with the Atom. Also, I love Hawkman in all things. Grin

Terrifics 8 : If Lemire isn't sticking around, and it's just not been stellar still later in the issues I haven't bought, even for my insane love for Mr. Terrific (and this Terrific is not really truly my Terrific from John's JSA) I should probably be done.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:41:15 AM »

Punisher War Machine 218-225- I didn't think I would, but oh man I love this!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:18 AM »

Not moving as fast as Jimmy but I did finally get started today....

ComiXology
Batman 59
Batman 60
Batman Annual 3
Deathstroke 38

Doomsday Clock 8
Green Lantern 2
Heroes In Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Justice League Dark 6
Shazam 1
Superman 6
The Terrifics 10
Birthright 33
Die!Die!Die! 4
Gideon Falls 8
Ninja-k 13
Oblivion Song 9
Quantum Age 4
Redneck 16
Seven to Eternity 12
Walking Dead 185
X-O Manowar 20

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 01:36:32 AM »

ComiXology
Batman 59
Batman 60
Batman Annual 3
Deathstroke 38

Doomsday Clock 8 - Loved it but man if feels like this is taking forever.
Green Lantern 2 - Still trying to get used to Morrison on this.  Just drastically different feel from the Corps run.
Heroes In Crisis 3 - Story moved forward some more - by going to things that happened before the massacre.  Good story.
Justice League Dark 5
Justice League Dark 6
- Loved the first part of issue 5 which sets up this two-parter.  Bobo is the most interesting of this team.
Shazam 1
Superman 6
The Terrifics 10
Birthright 33
Die!Die!Die! 4
Gideon Falls 8
Ninja-k 13
Oblivion Song 9
Quantum Age 4
Redneck 16
Seven to Eternity 12
Walking Dead 185
X-O Manowar 20

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:51:06 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »

I read ! ! ! !

All the Dr. Strange Damnation stuff (with Iron Fist & Scarlet Spider tie-ins). I was okay with it. I really was.

Wow, didn't expect that.
 Grin

Immortal Hulk-okay, this I loved! I love Bennett's art making the Hulk look Hulkish, instead of just huge and green and good looking. I love the fearsome looking brute. Great first issue.

It's been really good all the way so far

What else?...hmm..first part of 'Sink Atlantis!' in Aquaman. Not buying the Suicide iSsquad issue tie in. Meh is what I feel.

Bland. Hoping the team that hits issue 43 (out this next week) brings some much needed, and missing, fun to the title

Justice League 7, or 8, or whatever the resolution was. AGain...not ...in love with Snyder's voice here, of the narrator hero fawning voice telling the story. Or whatever.

Yuk, although issue #13 was fun. Art and story blended well too

Hawkman 5 was cool, with the Atom. Also, I love Hawkman in all things. Grin

Haven't been able to enjoy it too much at all. Sadly. In--fact I stopped, but was told I needed to read issue #7 and then decide so that is what I am planning

Terrifics 8 : If Lemire isn't sticking around, and it's just not been stellar still later in the issues I haven't bought, even for my insane love for Mr. Terrific (and this Terrific is not really truly my Terrific from John's JSA) I should probably be done.

There is nothing in the series so far that makes me even want to TRY and read more.  Lips sealed

Punisher War Machine 218-225- I didn't think I would, but oh man I love this!

Yep, love this writer. And enjoy his current Punisher arc as well. Plus, I can't wait to see what he does with Uncanny when it is just his title, starting with issue #10 or #11 ... as soon as the weekly release schedule is over

Doomsday Clock 8 - Loved it but man if feels like this is taking forever.

Still trying to wait for the entire run to finish before I jump back in ... so hard  Cry

Green Lantern 2 - Still trying to get used to Morrison on this.  Just drastically different feel from the Corps run.

It is just so different. Still, issue #2 was tons better than #1, but ... yeah ... it just feels off

Shazam 1

I hope both you and Jimmy like this more than I did. If you even give it a 5 out of 10 you accomplished that. I hope you both do.

Superman 6

Not as good as Action, but getting better every issue.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »

So after screwing up and having scheduling snafu, I had an extra two hours to get some reading in today. Combined with what I was able to read yesterday, while I was both watching Dallas do jack crap (and I needed Amari Cooper to have another good game for my fantasy championship game ... although I can still win as long as Carolina's McCaffery doesn't get 250 yeards and 2 TDs) and fight through a heart attack watching Pitt FINALLY get that Patriot win, I got through a decent amount of reading.

Added -

Moon Knight #196
Moon Knight #197
Moon Knight #198
Moon Knight #199
Moon Knight #200
- The last of the Max Bemis issues. Got very, very odd. More a trippy head run than vigilante style. Ok.
Marvel Knights 4 #4
Marvel Knights 4 #5
Marvel Knights 4 #6
- Ahhhh, now THIS is some good FFFF. Fantastic Four Family Fun. Damn I miss this story telling. Well, not missing it now!!  Cheesy

From last week -

Marvel Two-in-One #10
Marvel Two-in-One #11
Marvel Two-in-One #12
- Sadly, this title just fell off around issue 8 ... or 9. Just blah.  Cry

Lucifer #2
Books of Magic #2
The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
- Finally had some time to get back to the Gaiman Universe Books. I so badly want to read this in lump sums, and I think I will eventually go that route (as my brain struggles with remembering what happens from month) to month as it is, but when you're reading this universe? Whoa boy, it is even harder to remember stuff. At least for me
 Grin

Black Hammer: Quantum Age #5 - A Colonel Weird centric issue. That is always a good thing  Grin

and then the rest from this weeks list -

The Dreaming #4
DC New Talent Showcase
The Batman Who Laughs #1
Batman Damned #1
Batman Damned #2
Supergirl #25
Batman Annual #3 - Book of the week!!! Great story. Almost a perfect one-shot!!
Electric Warriors #2 - Hmmmm, okay, this was not as good as the first issue, but still ... something is there.
Superman #6 - Yuk, Yukkity, YukYuk. Just a badly written comic. Hope it gets back to ... goodness(?) next ish
Hawkman #7 - BOOOoooo. Okay, sure, this is the new Hawkman origin? Why not? F'n DC sucking on Snyder's ... BAH!!!! I know I will get over it, but this is stupid. This is not F'n Hawkman... man. Make this a new character or some shit. This origin can't last. It just can't. I will say it kinda makes me want to read the next issue, just to see if I am still pissed.
 Grin

Dr. Strange #9
Fantastic Four #4   Undecided Cry Angry
The Black Order #1
The Black Order #2
Uncanny X-Men #5 - An okay issue. Just hanging on until Rosenberg gets the title by himself at #11
Defenders Best Defense: Silver Surfer #1 - Ummm, not the best of the four issues, let's leave it at that
Defenders Best Defense: Doctor Strange #1 - This was very ... interesting. Tied in with Hulk well
Fantastic Four Wedding Special Had it summed up perfectly when I said " Undecided Cry Angry" prior
Avengers #11 And again, I summed it up when I said "with the return of McGuinness art  Undecided)". But it is not just the art that kills this issue. Or maybe it is? I don't know. I do know when McGuinness is not the artist the book rocks it's ass off, and when he is the artist, the book does little, or most of the time, nothing for me.

Magic Order #5
Cemetery Beach #4
Prodigy #1
Die!Die!Die! #5
Redneck #17
Die #1

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:50:54 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »

ComiXology
Batman 59
Batman 60
Batman Annual 3
Deathstroke 38
Doomsday Clock 8
Green Lantern 2
Heroes In Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Justice League Dark 6

Shazam 1 - Meh.  I'll give it one more issue but this team is not for me.
Superman 6 - Aaaaaand I'm out.  Dropping this title.
The Terrifics 10 - Is this close to being done as a series?  If it is I'll finish it out.  If not then I'm going to stop now that this arc is almost done.
Birthright 33
Die!Die!Die! 4
Gideon Falls 8
Ninja-k 13
Oblivion Song 9
Quantum Age 4
Redneck 16
Seven to Eternity 12
Walking Dead 185
X-O Manowar 20

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »

Shazam 1 - Meh.  I'll give it one more issue but this team is not for me.

Same. Maybe Jimmy liked it?

Superman 6 - Aaaaaand I'm out.  Dropping this title.

Horrible issue. Horrible. Worst of the series so far, although the first two issues were less than "Super". Still, issues four and five were pretty good so I am on for two more ... at most if it keeps up this last issue's crap.
Action is still doing it for me though. By a good margin too. That is what is so damn frustrating. How can that be?

The Terrifics 10 - Is this close to being done as a series?  If it is I'll finish it out.  If not then I'm going to stop now that this arc is almost done.

Not sure that it is continuing without Lemire or not, though I doubt it, but I know his last issue is #14. I don't care. I am out now. Not doing it anymore.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »

You know what - your right.  I've got too many I'm paying full price for.  No sense doing that if they aren't blowing me away.

I dropped all three:
Superman
Shazam
The Terrifics

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 03:12:16 AM »

Dammit! Shazam is bad out of the gate?!
And Perry; Marvel 2 in 1 is run to it's peak by issue 8? Dammit!!
Hawkman 7...sounds like it will really piss me off. To hell with trying to redo an explanation of his origin yet again in a different manner. Let Johns' stuff stick, and add or pack to it. I thought that's what the first 5 issues have tried doing (while ignoring Liefeld's stuff about the growing gold armor from Carter's body!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »

You know what - your right.  I've got too many I'm paying full price for.  No sense doing that if they aren't blowing me away.

I dropped all three:
Superman
Shazam
The Terrifics

Sounds like a good plan of attack. I will let ya know about Shazam #2 though, just in-case it gets going or ... yeah. I will say that last page has me a tad excited about the potential at least. Just a tad excited, not much at all, but after dealing with most of the issue that last page was at least a step up.

Dammit! Shazam is bad out of the gate?!

Yes. Okay, bad is a matter of opinion and heck, who knows, you may really like it, but it did absolutely nothing for me. Sadly I can only go into one of those reasons right now without spoiling something, the main aspect of the comic, that I think you need to read first before hearing our take on it.
One reason, and this is a small, personal reason that I don't think Jeff even shares, but one reason is that I am not a fan of Eaglesham. I know a lot of people are and I do understand the rationale behind it, but to me he just makes everyone look the same (facially), and, to my eyes, he makes everyone have torsos that are too long at times (Hitch and Liefeld do the same thing so it is not just him and again, it could be just my eyes). I didn't even really enjoy his FF run, although my love of the subject matter and the writing helped force my interest in that book, but here ... not so much.
It was ... man I don't want to spoil anything ... it wasn't what I wanted. I think that is the major issue I have, but that last page may have helped with that, honestly. But too early to tell. I'm gonna give it at least one more issue though.

And Perry; Marvel 2 in 1 is run to it's peak by issue 8? Dammit!!

I think it was about that time. Close to it anyway. The last few were not terrible, although not overly grand either, but I think what really got me was the timing. 2-In-1 was out of sync with the main FF title. They should have waited to bring FF back AFTER 2-In-1 was finished. Or at least after some events that took place in certain issues of 2-In-1.

Hawkman 7...sounds like it will really piss me off. To hell with trying to redo an explanation of his origin yet again in a different manner. Let Johns' stuff stick, and add or pack to it.

Once again I can only say so much as I can't spoil it for you, It doesn't really take ... with John's ... its more recent crap that ... no ... I have to wait until you read it ... yeah ... my hands are tied  Embarrassed You may like this, you may. I doubt it whole-heartedly, but ... maybe? Only because I think you liked ... no ... nope ... can't say anything. I think, honestly, if I remember what was said about something else  Cheesy (following me?  Cheesy)  you have a 50/50 shot of either really digging this or really loathing it.
 Cheesy Grin

... while ignoring Liefeld's stuff about the growing gold armor from Carter's body!

HAHAHAHA
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

EDIT -
Oh forgot about what I read ... Not going to post the list, but I wanted to at least tell Jeff one thing so ...

Black Hammer: Cthu-Louise #1 - Jeff, this was an okay one-shot. I did like it. However, I don't think this is an issue you need to get. If you do end up getting it or you have already done so that is fine, you should have a decent enough time with it, but I think you can pass on this one if you have yet to buy it.
Again, not that it was bad, but the story is one that ... it is kind of outside what you need in the BHU. If ya get me? This may (and knowing Lemire probably will) come around somewhere, at sometime, maybe, but I think I could catch you up in about 10 seconds if it ever does.
When it comes to this issue, try and catch it on a big sale or just maybe skip it for now and I will tell you what happened.
 Smiley

Oh also read
Die #1 - Giliam said it best, it is like adult Jumanji mixed with D&D. If that is your thing than you should like this. It is "kinda" my thing and I liked it so I am sticking around for a few.
 Grin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:48:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 02:56:02 AM »

Iron Man 600-what a clap trap, hodge podge issue of just junked story lines in a mess of half baked ideas. Glad he is gone!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »

Was only able to knock two more issues out last night, and not sure how 100% of the ones I didn't get to will be carrying over to this week reader attempt  Cheesy, but got a lot done anyway.

The Dreaming #4
DC New Talent Showcase
The Batman Who Laughs #1
Batman Damned #1
Batman Damned #2
Supergirl #25
Lucifer #2
Books of Magic #2
The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3

Batman Annual #3
Electric Warriors #2
Superman #6
Hawkman #7
Justice League Dark #6 - Eh, an okay issue I guess. I think I should be liking this more than I am if I am being honest. It is fine comic book fare, and this arc is already better than the Witching Hour that came prior, but still just not grabbing me. And I still see no reason for Kurt (Man-Bat) to be on this team.
 Undecided

Dr. Strange #9
Fantastic Four #4   Undecided Cry Angry
The Black Order #1
The Black Order #2
Moon Knight #196
Moon Knight #197
Moon Knight #198
Moon Knight #199
Moon Knight #200

Marvel Knights 4 #4
Marvel Knights 4 #5
Marvel Knights 4 #6

Marvel Two-in-One #10
Marvel Two-in-One #11
Marvel Two-in-One #12

Uncanny X-Men #5
Defenders Best Defense: Silver Surfer #1
Defenders Best Defense: Doctor Strange #1
Fantastic Four Wedding Special
Avengers #11

Cemetery Beach #4
Prodigy #1
Die!Die!Die! #5
Redneck #17
Die #1
Black Hammer: Quantum Age #5
Magic Order #5 - Really loving this but, and I can't believe I am going to say this, I wish this arc was a little more drawn out, a little more decompressed. There is just so much going on that it seems like things are being crammed in without enough time or alternate scenes allowing most of it to breath. I do know, that after the next arc (which I was happy to see was happening) I will be buying this in collected form. Hopefully a nice, large hardcover
 Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS