HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:22:01 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 5, 2018  (Read 6274 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 05, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »

Ha, no way I am getting through all this and I am really excited about some of the new books hitting this week, so most of what I carried over from this past week will have no chance in hell of being read. But, who knows?

Doomsday Clock #8 -not reading this yet, but gonna grab a copy to have for when I do read the series  Wink
Shazam #1 - Of course I have to grab ... or at least read ... a copy of this darn thing !
Green Lantern #2 - Gotta try and stay on top of Morrison again  Cheesy
The Dreaming #4 - Jeez, Maybe I will read the last 3 issues of this this week?
The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Miracle Man #12
Books of Magic #2
Heroes in Crisis #3

Namor- Defenders: Best Defense #1 - A new Defenders story broken down into 4 solo titles and then a Defenders issue
Hulk- Defenders: Best Defense #1 - Part two of the five part series. Doc Strange and Silver Surfer next week  Cool
Uncanny X-Men #4 - Not forgetting this weekly comic this week!
Dr. Strange #9 - The last couple issues have been really good
Fantastic Four #4  Angry Tongue
Marvel Two-in-One #10
Marvel Two-in-One #11
Marvel Two-in-One #12

Die #1 - Kierin Gillen's (Wicked and Divine) newest title he describes as being like "Goth Jumanji" (with 40 year olds  Grin)
Prodigy #1 - Mark Millar and Albuerqueque (Heck) reunite for another 6 issue mini. Yep. Me am there!!
Die!Die!Die! #5
Redneck #17

Not as bad as I thought, but I know I will add some issues out of the blue that will pull me away from the list.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »

At my current rate of reading, it's doubful I'll get through all of these this week.  I'm just hoping to make a sizable dent.

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 390
Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor 1
Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk 1
Old Man Hawkeye 5
Old Man Logan 40
Doctor Aphra 20
Daredevil 603
Infinity Coutdown: Captain Marvel
Star Wars: Lando - Double or Nothing 1
Marvel 2-in-1 6
Marvel Legacy: The 1960's 1
Marvel Legacy: The 1970's 1
Marvel Legacy: The 1980's 1

ComiXology
Batman 59
Die!Die!Die! 4
East of West 40
Heroes in Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Redneck 16
The Terrifics 10
X-O Manowar 20
Shazam 1
Green Lantern 2
Doomsday Clock 8
Deathstroke 38
Batman 60
Seven to Eternity 12
Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 2
The Walking Dead 185
The Wicked + The Divine: The Funnies 1

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »

I just read and finished Amazing Spider-man 795-800! W00t!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:22:48 AM »

I just read and finished Amazing Spider-man 795-800! W00t!

Nice. But isn't 801 or 802 the last issue?  Wink

Not saying that it is or that that is even what you were alluding to, but just thought I would throw that out there. I think I remember some such. I thought it was dumb not to have 800 the last ... from what I can remember that is. I could be totally wrong anyway
 Cheesy

I just heard today that the main series of W&D is ending with issue #45. I guess I should start getting prepared to start reading the series now.
I read the first two issues and fell in love and knew I wanted to wait at that moment.

Same for East and West (although I think I read that up to issue 14 or so) and that is also ending in a few more issues.
Sad to see them both go, but super glad I can now start reading them. Or re-reading them some of them as it were
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 03:03:44 AM »

OH, I know that 801 is Slott's walk off issue. I guess I just meant that the big story finished with 800-and you know what? I liked it! Really, me! LOL

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »

OH, I know that 801 is Slott's walk off issue. I guess I just meant that the big story finished with 800-and you know what? I liked it! Really, me! LOL

Right? That is saying something.

But I think we both share the same Slott Sickness.  Grin

He can make me happy with really good to great story, pacing, dialog and characterization for an entire arc and then turn right around and infuriate me with questionable storytelling, atrocious pacing, perplexing dialog and confusing characterization on the next two or three (see the current FF series for the full monty of that last)
 Angry Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »

I just heard today that the main series of W&D is ending with issue #45. I guess I should start getting prepared to start reading the series now.
I read the first two issues and fell in love and knew I wanted to wait at that moment.

That's actually a good thing.  It was starting to make itself too complicated as the onion levels pealed off and some of the "reveals" were diminishing the impact of a lot of the incredible moments from the first half of the series.  It's still on a high note right now but if it didn't end soon it would reach the phase of Fonzie jumping the shark.  Thankfully it's not there yet and sounds like they are going to end it at an appropriate time.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

That's actually a good thing. 

I agree. I think, for the most part, 40 to 50 issues is about as long as a run should go. Again, there are obvious exceptions (the major one being "caped heroes" stories, but even those shouldn't last 50 years Grin), but if you start a story based on a single idea or premise inside a set universe with no other characters being showcased, it usually has a limited lifespan. And that is, as perfectly stated by you, a good thing
 Smiley

Sure, they COULD continue, but like you said, after awhile it just starts to dip in quality.

Added to my list ... so far  Cheesy -

Justice League #13 - Saw that Tynion was stepping in as writer (for how long I don't yet know) so I decided to give this a shot. Pretty good issue. A joker centric story with a punch. And love, love, love the way March's art worked with the Joker here. Fantastic looking

Electric Warriors #1 - Had no intention of reading this but it was handed to me with the words "Just try it. It takes place a few 100 years after Kamandi" and so as a Kamandi ... appreciator  Grin I did just that. WOW, this was ... impactful? Tell ya what, while the story was just okay (I can give or take Orlando), the art was okay (a much better Travel Foreman) this thing is still so very intriguing that I even I woke up last night thinking about this darn comic. That tells me all I need to know. I am on this 6 issue mini. That last page alone ...
Oh, and that red cape on the cover ... yeah ... that is what it looks like

The Dreaming #4
The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Miracle Man #12
Books of Magic #2
Heroes in Crisis #3
Shazam #1 - Not at all what I was hoping for. Didn't really enjoy this, but the ending has me hopeful.
Green Lantern #2 - Much better than issue #1. The pacing was good, the dialog was ... okay and the plot is becoming more in shape. Still has the Morrison weirdness to it, and that is cool, liked the addition of the absolutley ridiculous Green Lantern Volc (A character NOT created by Morrison, but damn sure could've been)
 Cheesy

Uncanny X-Men #4
Dr. Strange #9
Fantastic Four #4  Angry Tongue
Marvel Two-in-One #10
Marvel Two-in-One #11
Marvel Two-in-One #12
Hulk- Defenders: Best Defense #1 - An interesting issue. The ending ... kicks starts this reunion
Namor- Defenders: Best Defense #1 - This story, also with an ending that gives a sneak peek into how the group will come together (but not why, yet), also may have ramifications to Namor in the future. When (if) he gets another title shot, there is stuff here that will have to be discussed. So far, the first two issues of this five issue mini has shown us nothing as to what the final, one-shot Defenders issue will be about, as both of these issue don't tie-in to anything ... that I can see. And that is kinda cool

Die #1
Prodigy #1
Die!Die!Die! #5
Redneck #17

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »

Electric Warriors #1 - Had no intention of reading this but it was handed to me with the words "Just try it. It takes place a few 100 years after Kamandi" and so as a Kamandi ... appreciator  Grin I did just that. WOW, this was ... impactful? Tell ya what, while the story was just okay (I can give or take Orlando), the art was okay (a much better Travel Foreman) this thing is still so very intriguing that I even I woke up last night thinking about this darn comic. That tells me all I need to know. I am on this 6 issue mini. That last page alone ...
Oh, and that red cape on the cover ... yeah ... that is what it looks like

Thanks for reminding me of this one.  I had seen the first three pages (I think) as a preview and thought that the premise sounded interesting.  I had planned on adding it to the wish list and forgot to.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »

Extremely slow start but no plans for the weekend other than putting up a Christmas tree so..fingers crossed....

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 390
Old Man Hawkeye 5
Old Man Logan 40
Doctor Aphra 20
Daredevil 603
Marvel 2-in-1 6

ComiXology
Batman 59
Die!Die!Die! 4
East of West 40
Heroes in Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Redneck 16
The Terrifics 10
X-O Manowar 20
Shazam 1
Green Lantern 2
Doomsday Clock 8
Deathstroke 38
Batman 60
Seven to Eternity 12
The Walking Dead 185

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

Hmmmm. Maybe I’ll get through the Marvel stuff...

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 390
Old Man Hawkeye 5
Old Man Logan 40
Doctor Aphra 20

Daredevil 603
Marvel 2-in-1 6

ComiXology
Batman 59
Die!Die!Die! 4
East of West 40
Heroes in Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Redneck 16
The Terrifics 10
X-O Manowar 20
Shazam 1
Green Lantern 2
Doomsday Clock 8
Deathstroke 38
Batman 60
Seven to Eternity 12
The Walking Dead 185

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »

Got through a few more, but mostly stuff I (shockingly) didn't have on my list
 Undecided

Ninjak #14 - A decent enough end of the arc and the last issue of this run. Also my last issue, sadly. Hard to believe that I, a huge fan of Valiant since their restart a few years ago, am now down to just one Valiant title (X-O) and am just waiting for the opportunity to jump off that. The new crop of artist's they have coming in just does nothing for me. Not that that can't change, but right now? Yeah, Valiant is almost like Dynamite to me.
 Embarrassed

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies - Brubaker and Phillips, the great duo reunites (are they ever apart?  Grin) to bring us an original graphic novel about ... well I can't spoil it can I? Certainly not a must read, but if you have some extra time and money and you really enjoy this creative team and the stuff they do in Criminal, this one and done (?) book should hit for ya.

Batman #60 - I love, love, love what is going on in the "background" of this story, but damn it, Batman isn't Batman. The characterization is not as egregious as last issue, but ... yeah, I still enjoy this story, even if I have to think of it as an Elseworlds story at times

Martian Manhunter #1 - I picked this up because I like Rossmo's art, but jeez was it ... not as good as usual. That said, I can see why some may enjoy this look more than his usual, but not this guy. Stopped reading with a couple pages left as I was just too visually confused. I could see what was going on, but it was just too rough to care, really.  Embarrassed

(EDIT - Forgot about ...)
The Terrifics #8
The Terrifics #9
The Terrifics #10
The Terrifics Annual #1
- So I finally got caught up on this series. I remembered about halfway through issue #8 why I have been gone so long. I usually really enjoy Lemire's writing, but I just couldn't care less about anyone or anything in this comic series. I know Lemire is leaving at issue #14, and not sure if the title will be continuing or not, I just know that I have read my last issue.
 Undecided

The Dreaming #4
The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Books of Magic #2
Shazam #1
Green Lantern #2
Justice League #13
Electric Warriors #1
Heroes in Crisis #3 - A good issue, but like most of King's stuff, needs to be read all at once to get best out of it
Miracle Man #12 - Case in point. This book I really enjoyed. From the amazing art work, both structurally and appealing to the eyes, to the incredible pacing, dialog and flow, this book had me from issue #1. I only wish I could say what the hell is really happening here  Cheesy but I don't think we are suppose to know. Is Scott in Hell, is he in Heaven or is he trapped in a state of mental confusing from the suicide attempt or by Darkseid's Anti-Life Equation:? Who the hell knows? I am guessing it has something to do with him, the great escape artist, being in a trap ... a mental trap, but can't figure it out precisely. I assume it is the anti-life as, ya know, Darkseid is ...
Will certainly be re-reading this in one sitting sometime in the future.

Uncanny X-Men #4
Dr. Strange #9
Fantastic Four #4  Angry Tongue
Marvel Two-in-One #10
Marvel Two-in-One #11
Marvel Two-in-One #12
Hulk- Defenders: Best Defense #1
Namor- Defenders: Best Defense #1

Die #1
Prodigy #1
Die!Die!Die! #5
Redneck #17

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:20:17 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 12:30:24 AM »

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies - Brubaker and Phillips, the great duo reunites (are they ever apart?  Grin) to bring us an original graphic novel about ... well I can't spoil it can I? Certainly not a must read, but if you have some extra time and money and you really enjoy this creative team and the stuff they do in Criminal, this one and done (?) book should hit for ya.

I will be getting this of course at some point.  It's "on sale" right now on ComiXology for $9.89 (says regular price is $16.99).  Hmmmm.  If that's truly $16.99 I better get it now.

Martian Manhunter #1 - I picked this up because I like Rossmo's art, but jeez was it ... not as good as usual. That said, I can see why some may enjoy this look more than his usual, but not this guy. Stopped reading with a couple pages left as I was just too visually confused. I could see what was going on, but it was just too rough to care, really.  Embarrassed

I'm going to go ahead and pick up issue 1 since you said some may like it. 

Miracle Man #12 - Case in point. This book I really enjoyed. From the amazing art work, both structurally and appealing to the eyes, to the incredible pacing, dialog and flow, this book had me from issue #1. I only wish I could say what the hell is really happening here  Cheesy but I don't think we are suppose to know. Is Scott in Hell, is he in Heaven or is he trapped in a state of mental confusing from the suicide attempt or by Darkseid's Anti-Life Equation:? Who the hell knows? I am guessing it has something to do with him, the great escape artist, being in a trap ... a mental trap, but can't figure it out precisely. I assume it is the anti-life as, ya know, Darkseid is ...
Will certainly be re-reading this in one sitting sometime in the future.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one going.."huh?"  Also glad you finally finished it.  Hopefully after you re-read you can explain it to me!   Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:35:54 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 03:56:10 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 390
Old Man Hawkeye 5
Old Man Logan 40
Doctor Aphra 20
Daredevil 603
Marvel 2-in-1 6

ComiXology
Batman 59
Die!Die!Die! 4
East of West 40
Heroes in Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Redneck 16
The Terrifics 10
X-O Manowar 20
Shazam 1
Green Lantern 2
Doomsday Clock 8
Deathstroke 38
Batman 60
Seven to Eternity 12
The Walking Dead 185

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

Got through the Marvel stuff.  Feeling pretty good that I'll get through a chunk of the Comixology comics tomorrow as they tend to read at a faster pace.

Alas, I predict the Manhunter issues will get pushed to next week.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 390
Old Man Hawkeye 5
Old Man Logan 40
Doctor Aphra 20
Daredevil 603
Marvel 2-in-1 6

ComiXology
Batman 59
Die!Die!Die! 4
East of West 40
Heroes in Crisis 3
Justice League Dark 5
Redneck 16
The Terrifics 10
X-O Manowar 20
Shazam 1
Green Lantern 2
Doomsday Clock 8
Deathstroke 38
Batman 60
Seven to Eternity 12
The Walking Dead 185

DC Universe
Manhunter 19
Manhunter 20
Manhunter 21
Manhunter 22
Manhunter 23
Manhunter 24

And by “a chunk” clearly I meant “one”.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS