HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:39:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 21, 2018 - THANKSGIVING!!  (Read 5406 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 21, 2018, 03:05:58 AM »

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!!!!!

ComiXology
Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 1
The Wicked+The Divene: 1373
The Sixth Gun: Days of the Dead TPB - (Collecting issues 1-5)
Echo Vol 3: Desert Run TPB - (Collecting issues 11-15)
The Wild Storm: Michael Cray TPB Vol 1 - (Collecting issues 1-6)
Black Hammer: Age of Doom 6
East of West 39
Gideon Falls 7

Marvel Unlimited
Infinity Countdown: Daredevil 1
Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer 1
X-Men: The Wedding Special 1
Avengers 2
Mighty Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla 1
Cable 157
Quicksilver: No Surrender 1
Daredevil 602

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 03:01:54 PM »

Man I am interested to see if you can get past that art. It is a very cool "Alternate Earth" story, which kinda confused me at first as I thought the Wildstorm Universe was still in the DC Universe proper, like after New 52, but it seems that is no longer the case. I don't want to say more than that to avoid any spoilerage
 Grin

Not sure what my list will consist of, one will certainly be a comic that I can't believe I have not read yet, but I think I will start with something like this -

The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Miracle Man #12 (yeah, I know, I can't believe I haven't read this yet ... but ya got me scared, Jeff  Cheesy

Uncanny X-Men #2
Astonishing X-Men #17

Other than those 5 ... who knows?

And yes, Happy Turkey Day All

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

Wrong thread before!!

Yeah, I can't get behind Bendis on either title. I hate that Zoogle Rawr guy so damned bad, and his concept, that just drives me crazy. It's just ...not anything I enjoy reading (especially after checking reviews and things I pay attention too).
But whatever! I'm not reading it, so I shouldn't say anything to it!

Nothing like kids with diarrhea and vomiting and baths at 1 am to get some sleeplessness reading done!

The Defenders 9-10 -blech. Obviously phoned in as Bendis was leaving, and Marvel didn't have sales to support keeping the title going with Bendis leaving.

Iron Man 597-599- Still really...okay, actually, I don't 'anything' this title. I don't hate it, I don't love it, I simply read the book and that's it. Still CANNOT STAND making Tony adopted at this point in the character's publication history, but whatever. It's like creating a different reason why Krypon blew up.. (okay, I gotta take one shot. Wink

Thanos 15-18 -oh man, I didn't know that this is where the title ended! So glad I got a chance to read this! Although, that Annual seemed like a bunch of garbage. I couldn't read it...but I did pass out within 5 seconds of putting the tablet down after stopping reading. Grin

Daredevil 601-602- yup, just another book I happen to be reading. That's all it feels like.

Spectacular Spider-man 300 - loolking forward to getting back into this title.

Astonishing X-men 10- okayu, REALLY looking forward to getting back into this title too!!

Skipping Exiles now based on your guys' recommendations.

Luke Cage 170-oh, this was the last issue? At least it was sweet with his daughter Danielle!! Sad

Having a hard time getting back into Dr. Strange and Damnation. I know i won't regret it...just seems like a chore to start? Weird of me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 01:47:57 AM »

Ha!  Off to a great start for a change.  Getting through the trades makes the rest a lot easier even with a house full of family this week and little spare time!

ComiXology

East of West 39
Gideon Falls 7

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 2
Cable 157
Daredevil 602

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Man I am interested to see if you can get past that art. It is a very cool "Alternate Earth" story, which kinda confused me at first as I thought the Wildstorm Universe was still in the DC Universe proper, like after New 52, but it seems that is no longer the case. I don't want to say more than that to avoid any spoilerage
 Grin

Oh yeah.  I liked it and the art didn't bother me.  Very cool premise.  As the trade is 6 issues I got to see the death of 3 prominent alter world people who are prominent in the DC proper universe.  And the cliff hanger for the next target definitely makes me want to read the next story!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »

Oh yeah.  I liked it and the art didn't bother me.  Very cool premise.  As the trade is 6 issues I got to see the death of 3 prominent alter world people who are prominent in the DC proper universe.  And the cliff hanger for the next target definitely makes me want to read the next story!

Sweet!  Cool

Yeah, it hooked me pretty fast, story wise, but throughout its run, I struggled with that art
 Undecided
Glad you didn't have the same issues

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »

The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Miracle Man #12  - Yep, still have not opened this  Shocked Sad Angry

Uncanny X-Men #2
Astonishing X-Men #17 - A nice ending to a short lived X-Title. Hope Uncanny gets to this entertainment value at some point!

Other than those 5 ... who knows?

Ha, yeah, who indeed.  Cheesy

So I got thinking about how much I have enjoyed Action Comics, and that got the fire built up to get caught up on all my Superman stuff. I will say, although I wasn't a fan of the first two issues of Supe's, it did get better for me. Mainly and in no small part because of his conversation with Jon about life and ... haha ... dealing with Batman. Even got finished with the other Supe's related title
 Grin

Wonder Woman #58 - Yes, right back in after saying I was cutting down DC to concentrate on Marvel. Ha, yeah!
Supergirl #22
Supergirl #23
Supergirl #24
- I think I want to like this more than I do. Love the creative team, but ... Maybe WW takes this spot?
Superman #2 - read again to get a refresher
Superman #3
Superman #4
Superman #5
- Gotta say, not as good as Action, but much better than it started. Need to go research this Jax-Ur guy. Jimmy, you know of the story with this guy? It says he tried to destroy Krypton's moon?

Ninjak #13 - A decent issue. Loved the battle Smiley
Black Hammer: Age of Doom #7 - Wow, I can't express how much this issue let me down. Did not enjoy this issue at all. They can't all be winners, even though most of them are, but ewwwww ... not this one
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »

From what I remember, he's always been Krypton's greatest mass murderers and or terrorist. Blowing up the moon sounds right

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »

From what I remember, he's always been Krypton's greatest mass murderers and or terrorist. Blowing up the moon sounds right

Ahhhm Okay. I was hoping that you would remember reading about that particular story. Just didn't know if it was a Golden/Silver Age thing or a more recent story. I did enough research (looked up his name on Wikipedia  Grin) to see he was created in 1961, but I will have to dig further if you don't remember that particular story being a more recent one.
 Cool
But don't feel obligated. I will get to it one day.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Knocked out quite a bit this week so far (not more of what I had planned of course), but I was in bed for a loooong time the last couple of days so had a lot of time to do just that. Not sure I will get anymore done tonight.

Doctor Strange #4
Doctor Strange #5
Doctor Strange #6
Doctor Strange #7
Doctor Strange #8
- an "okay" story arc that turned out to have a pretty interesting last couple of issues. Pretty good.

Justice League Dark #5 - Oh that last page has me excited for issue #6

Die!Die!Die! #4 - Good! Really good. Like the Boys (well, early Boys issues), but crazier? what? Yep! Crazier
Redneck #16 - Fell into the "I can't remember what happened" trap with this, but still enjoyed it. Need refresher
Wildcats #5
Wildcats #6
Wildcats #7
- Can't wait to get to the better stuff.
StormWatch #5
StormWatch #6
= Not good at all. Hope to get to good stuff soon. Doubtful, but at least Backlash is here now
A Walk Through Hell #1 - Re-read to get refresher
A Walk Through Hell #2
A Walk Through Hell #3
A Walk Through Hell #4
A Walk Through Hell #5
- Holy crap. This got so good and its the end of book one? Luckily the next issues isn't too far away ... a hope. Another good Garth Ennis story. Creepy as hell. Much better once ya get use to the time jumping around. Was a little odd at first not realizing that things happening in this book were at different times. It took me at lest 2 or 3 issues to get that. Once I did, man it got better
 Cheesy Cheesy

Already read ...

Astonishing X-Men #17

Wonder Woman #58
Supergirl #22
Supergirl #23
Supergirl #24

Superman #2
Superman #3
Superman #4
Superman #5

Ninjak #13
Black Hammer: Age of Doom #7

Still need to try to get to tonight ...

The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Miracle Man #12  - Yep, still have not opened this  Shocked Sad Angry

Uncanny X-Men #2

Not making it
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:08:58 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »

Oh it's a hold over story bit from the silver age. I knew about it from reading mom's comics

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 10:43:30 PM »

Good thing I had a great start - because I haven't done much since then!  I might have some free time to tonight to get through some more titles.

ComiXology
East of West 39
Gideon Falls 7

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 2
Cable 157
Daredevil 602

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Black Hammer: Age of Doom 6 - Aaaaah.  Now I see why Perry said what he did about this one (and probably the next one).  A side journey that takes us away from the main story.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 04:06:45 AM »

Not surprised but I didn't get through the whole thing.  Only finished 3 more.  Sending the rest to the new week!

ComiXology
East of West 39
Gideon Falls 7

Marvel Unlimited

Avengers 2
Cable 157
Daredevil 602

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »

Oh it's a hold over story bit from the silver age. I knew about it from reading mom's comics

Ahhh, okay, cool. The "idea" of it just sounded like a Silver Age kinda thing, but I wasn't sure  Grin

Thanks!

Got through a couple more last night actually. I think I just read the most comics this week that I have ever read. Or at least in quite sometime.
 Cheesy
The art really helped this week.

West Coast Avengers #1
West Coast Avengers #2
West Coast Avengers #3
West Coast Avengers #4
- Pretty good. A little too long an arc for what it was, but I am on board! Loved the art.
Uncanny X-Men #2 -  They were right, ya almost do need to read that Multiple Man mini prior to reading this, more so than issue #1. Felt like a good ole' X-Men comic and again, the art was great!!

Still ... no ...

The Dreaming #2
The Dreaming #3
Miracle Man #12

Astonishing X-Men #17
Doctor Strange #4
Doctor Strange #5
Doctor Strange #6
Doctor Strange #7
Doctor Strange #8

Justice League Dark #5
Wonder Woman #58
Supergirl #22
Supergirl #23
Supergirl #24

Superman #2
Superman #3
Superman #4
Superman #5

Die!Die!Die! #4
Redneck #16
Wildcats #5
Wildcats #6
Wildcats #7

StormWatch #5
StormWatch #6

A Walk Through Hell #1
A Walk Through Hell #2
A Walk Through Hell #3
A Walk Through Hell #4
A Walk Through Hell #5

Ninjak #13
Black Hammer: Age of Doom #7

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 03:48:45 PM »

Die!Die!Die! #4 - Good! Really good. Like the Boys (well, early Boys issues), but crazier? what? Yep! Crazier
Redneck #16 - Fell into the "I can't remember what happened" trap with this, but still enjoyed it. Need refresher

Ive got these three on my list for the new week.  Sounds like I might be keeping JLD around for another arc!

A Walk Through Hell #5[/color] - Holy crap. This got so good and its the end of book one? Luckily the next issues isn't too far away ... a hope. Another good Garth Ennis story. Creepy as hell. Much better once ya get use to the time jumping around. Was a little odd at first not realizing that things happening in this book were at different times. It took me at lest 2 or 3 issues to get that. Once I did, man it got better
 Cheesy Cheesy

Is this something new or old?

Oh go ahead and finish it.  Don’t be afraid!   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »

A Walk Through Hell #5[/color] - Holy crap. This got so good and its the end of book one? Luckily the next issues isn't too far away ... a hope. Another good Garth Ennis story. Creepy as hell. Much better once ya get use to the time jumping around. Was a little odd at first not realizing that things happening in this book were at different times. It took me at lest 2 or 3 issues to get that. Once I did, man it got better
 Cheesy Cheesy

I went ahead and looked it up. New. And sounds like something right up my alley! Plus first five issues are already collected in trade.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »

Ive got these three on my list for the new week.  Sounds like I might be keeping JLD around for another arc!

Yep. Looking forward to it, even though I thought the tie-in stuff with that Witching Hour arc couldve been stronger, I still enjoy this team. But honestly, I could do without Langstrom (Manbat) being on the team as they don't seem to use him at all.  Undecided

Cheesy Cheesy

I saw you already answered this one  Cheesy, but yeah, the first five issues are considered "Book One" and colected so that would be the way to go. But warning... damn does issue #5 end in a cliffhanger.  Cheesy
Also, a little too political at the start, just for a couple panels pages then it settles into the main story. Just letting you know about that ahead of time
 Cheesy
It does move away from that pretty fast.

Oh go ahead and finish it.  Don’t be afraid!   Cheesy

Yeah, I don't know why I haven't read this yet. Partly, as I joked, about your thoughts on it. Partly because of the "it's the last of it" feeling I have with Manhunter  Cheesy and just never got the right feeling in the gut to read it yet. Counting on this week being the week!!
 Cheesy Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS