HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:09:50 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 14, 2018  (Read 6930 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:05 AM »

Wow.  This month is flying by for me.  It will be Thanksgiving and then Christmas before we know it.

ComiXology
Mister Miracle #12
Plastic Man 6
Superman 5
Thief of Thieves 42
Birthright 32
Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4
Harbinger Wars 2: Aftermath #1
Ninja-K 11
Ninja-K 12
Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 1
The Wicked+The Divene: 1373
X-O Manowar 18
X-O Manowar 19
The Sixth Gun: Days of the Dead TPB - (Collecting issues 1-5)
Echo Vol 3: Desert Run TPB - (Collecting issues 11-15)
The Wild Storm: Michael Cray TPB Vol 1 - (Collecting issues 1-6)

Marvel Unlimited
New Mutants: Dead Souls 3
Old Man Logan 39
Domino 2
Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium 1

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »

Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4

Not saying you need it, but I think there is a Prelude issue as well, if you have not read that yet, Jeff. Again, not that you SHOULD get it, and I honestly don't remember if it was worth a read or not ... I know the mini wasn't  Sad, but didn't want you to miss it accidentally if you did want to read it either.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »

Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4

Not saying you need it, but I think there is a Prelude issue as well, if you have not read that yet, Jeff. Again, not that you SHOULD get it, and I honestly don't remember if it was worth a read or not ... I know the mini wasn't  Sad, but didn't want you to miss it accidentally if you did want to read it either.

Thanks Perry - I already read the prelude when it first came out but I like that your always looking out for me.  I usually need it.    Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »

Thanks Perry - I already read the prelude when it first came out but I like that your always looking out for me.  I usually need it.    Cheesy

You bet man. Ya know ... we gotta look out for each other  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »

Okay, on the reading list for this week -

Mister Miracle #12 (top of the stack)
Manhunter #37 (hopefully)
Manhunter #38
Hawkman #6
Wonder Woman #58 (Maybe, new creative team so I want to at least peak and see what is the dealio going forward)
Electric Warriors #1 (Maybe, but doubtful, but may want to check into this version of the DCU years into the future)

Uncanny X-Men #1 (Maybe THIS will be top of the stack?)
Fantastic Four #3 (Please, please, please be better than the first two issues. Please!!!!!)
Marvel Two-In-One #10
Marvel Two-In-One #11

Quantum Age #6 (second or third down from, or, top of the stack  Grin)
Ninjak #13
Cemetery Beach #3 (EDIT - nah ... gonna wait until it finishes. Warren Ellis is best in chunks  Grin)

And three other issues from three other titles that suddenly become a priority for me to read for some reason.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 03:37:03 AM »

ComiXology
Mister Miracle #12
Plastic Man 6
Superman 5
Thief of Thieves 42
Birthright 32
Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4
Ninja-K 11
Ninja-K 12
X-O Manowar 18
X-O Manowar 19

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 39
Domino 2

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Mister Miracle #12 - I must be dumb.  I did not understand this ending at all.   Undecided

New Mutants: Dead Souls 3 - Eh.  Still just ok.

Old Man Logan 39 - Interesting.  Very interesting.

Domino 2 - Too happy go lucky for what I thought Domino was.  And yet, I'm planning to see it through.

Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium 1 - I like the story but it has nothing to do with the hunt for Wolverine.  The Hunt puts the characters together then it goes into it's own unrelated story.  I still like it but hate that they wrap it in Wolverine when it's not about that.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

Mister Miracle #12 - I must be dumb.  I did not understand this ending at all.   Undecided

Uh-Oh. That doesn't sound good.

You may want to jump off if you aren't enjoying it by now. I enjoyed it, surprisingly in huge part because of the art ... which I didn't really enjoy at all at first, but it grew on me.
But then again, I can't seem to remember finishing this, even though I was having fun early, so ....
 Undecided

On the advice of Dave (and a couple others from the LCS) I am adding the Multiple Man mini (the "one that just finished up") to my reading list. I have to, apparently, read that mini before I read that Uncanny X-Men #1 to get ... something.
 Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »

You may want to jump off if you aren't enjoying it by now. I enjoyed it, surprisingly in huge part because of the art ... which I didn't really enjoy at all at first, but it grew on me.
But then again, I can't seem to remember finishing this, even though I was having fun early, so ....
 Undecided

I think it’s just a 5 issue mini so I can finish up two more issues.  I don’t hate it.

Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium 1 - I like the story but it has nothing to do with the hunt for Wolverine.  The Hunt puts the characters together then it goes into it's own unrelated story.  I still like it but hate that they wrap it in Wolverine when it's not about that.

I should expand a little here.  This is turning into a Luke Cage/Jessica Jones story with Iron Man and Spider-Man along for the ride.  First issue was good and I’m going to read the full story.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

There were things I just had to finish-had to!-which led to a foot of reading!

Thor 702-705: wow, just Wow. This knocks some other great Thor runs down the totem pole as it takes a high place on the pedestal.

Deadpool 293-309: I again say, if you want to read a Deadpool that isn't a typical joke or caricature take on the character, you have to read Gerry Duggan's run. Just. Excellent.

Avengers No Surrender in it's 16 part entirety: blah. No resonance with the characters, events, or moments until the last 3 issues. Good to see why Hulk returned: good. But if I were a weekly paying fan, this was not worth it at all!

Daredevil 598-601; this title, book, character, and event seems so small and pedestrian. Just a bit of a yawn fest.

Old Man Logan 33-36 (or something close to that) finished the Japan story and now in New York, and then with Purifiers. I enjoy reading the character, even if the events don't do much for me.

Awesome Hulk 702-705?; I like me a vengeful Cho Hulk.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »

Okay, on the reading list for this week -

Mister Miracle #12 (top of the stack)

Alright, I haven't read my "top of the Stack" yet. I have just been too tired overall and don't want to risk diving into a comic that I am, after Jeff's (and other's) comments, a little scared to read. I still want to read it, but I want to be on the top of my game when I do. Or at least awake
 Cheesy
The others ... well, some of them almost put me to sleep because I was tired, while a one in-particular woke me up by being so bad I became angry
 Angry
I will talk about some of these in the threads. At some point

Avengers #10 (#700)
Extermination #1
Extermination #2
Extermination #3
Extermination #4
- Ouch. What a last page. Next issue will be the final "Time displaced X-Men" story I think.
Fantastic Four #3 - Total crap!!!!!! No offense to Slott, I wish him well personally, but this is not at all good.
Uncanny X-Men #1 - I have a feeling a lot of Mutants or getting ready to die
Multiple Man #1
Multiple Man #2
Multiple Man #3
Multiple Man #4
Multiple Man #5
- Wow, now this I will have to read again. It was very good, but I am lost as well. It is a "must read" though, not because of what you need before reading Uncanny #1, although I see what they meant telling me I need to read this first, but the story was soooo damn twisty and time jumpy I got lost the first time through. But ya, you should read if you are a fan of the character ... okay, and if you want to see how ... if you want to read the weekly Uncanny that just started.
 Cheesy
Really enjoyed it. Can't wait to understand it!
 Cheesy

Hawkman #6 - Growing kinda tired of this ... or was it just because I was tired all week?

Outer Darkness #1 - Tried it because it is Skybound title AND its from the guy that wrote Chew. Not sure yet.
Quantum Age #4 - Hmmm, not really a powerful issue as one needed for the next step.  Undecided
William Gibson's Alien 3 #1 - Okay, this is the original script for the original Aliens 3 movie put to graphic form and yeah, I would have loved to seen this. Although I am one of those weird dudes that liked all the Alien movies, even the Joss Whedon one that everyone hates, so I wouldn't have wanted this to replace the prison planet in Alien 3 ... would I? Maybe. It is a good start I will say that.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 02:15:33 AM »

ComiXology
Mister Miracle #12
Plastic Man 6
Superman 5
Thief of Thieves 42
Birthright 32
Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2

Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4
Ninja-K 11
Ninja-K 12
X-O Manowar 18
X-O Manowar 19

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 39
Domino 2

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Clearly not getting through the list this week.  These weeks are starting to fly by.  Christmas will be here before we know it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »

ComiXology
Mister Miracle #12
Plastic Man 6
Superman 5
Thief of Thieves 42
Birthright 32
Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4

Ninja-K 11
Ninja-K 12
X-O Manowar 18
X-O Manowar 19

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 39
Domino 2

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Harbinger Wars 2 - as a Valiant crossover I’ll give it a B-.  As a sequel to The original Harbinger Wars I’d give it a D.   Just goes to show you that expectations matter.  As an event mini it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t Harbinger Wars.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:13:44 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 02:27:11 AM »

ComiXology
Mister Miracle #12
Plastic Man 6
Superman 5
Thief of Thieves 42
Birthright 32
Harbinger Wars 2 #1
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Harbinger Wars 2 #3
Harbinger Wars 2 #4
Ninja-K 11
Ninja-K 12

X-O Manowar 18
X-O Manowar 19

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 39
Domino 2

DC Universe
Manhunter 13
Manhunter 14
Manhunter 15
Manhunter 16
Manhunter 17
Manhunter 18

Pretty good push for the last day but my brain is full.  Looks like I'm moving the rest to tomorrow's list.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

Was able to knock out just a couple more, still not the one that I was planning on jumping right into, but there is this week for that, yeah?
 Smiley

Justice League/Aquaman Drowned #1 - Blech. Nope. Dropping JL and Aquaman now.
Action Comics #1003
Action Comics #1004
- It's just sad to me that Jimmy does not like this title. The "Superman" title? Sure, I can see that, but Action Comics is so damn good. Superman is Superman, but I like him? How is that possible? The Superman title itself is close to being on my chopping block, but I am trying to read Supergirl as well and they kinda, just a tad, tie-in together from what I hear with the first few issues (Plus Supergirl has freaking Maquire art that just does it for me), but if Superman has an arc like this stupid ass Rogol Zaar (or whatever his name is) after this current one, I am off that title. But Action? One of the best DC titles hands down.

Avengers #10 (#700)
Extermination #1
Extermination #2
Extermination #3
Extermination #4

Fantastic Four #3
Uncanny X-Men #1
Multiple Man #1
Multiple Man #2
Multiple Man #3
Multiple Man #4
Multiple Man #5

Hawkman #6 - Growing kinda tired of this ... or was it just because I was tired all week?

Outer Darkness #1
Quantum Age #4
William Gibson's Alien 3 #1

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »

Yeah, I can't get behind Bendis on either title. I hate that Zoogle Rawr guy so damned bad, and his concept, that just drives me crazy. It's just ...not anything I enjoy reading (especially after checking reviews and things I pay attention too).
But whatever! I'm not reading it, so I shouldn't say anything to it!

Nothing like kids with diarrhea and vomiting and baths at 1 am to get some sleeplessness reading done!

The Defenders 9-10 -blech. Obviously phoned in as Bendis was leaving, and Marvel didn't have sales to support keeping the title going with Bendis leaving.

Iron Man 597-599- Still really...okay, actually, I don't 'anything' this title. I don't hate it, I don't love it, I simply read the book and that's it. Still CANNOT STAND making Tony adopted at this point in the character's publication history, but whatever. It's like creating a different reason why Krypon blew up.. (okay, I gotta take one shot. Wink

Thanos 15-18 -oh man, I didn't know that this is where the title ended! So glad I got a chance to read this! Although, that Annual seemed like a bunch of garbage. I couldn't read it...but I did pass out within 5 seconds of putting the tablet down after stopping reading. Grin

Daredevil 601-602- yup, just another book I happen to be reading. That's all it feels like.

Spectacular Spider-man 300 - loolking forward to getting back into this title.

Astonishing X-men 10- okayu, REALLY looking forward to getting back into this title too!!

Skipping Exiles now based on your guys' recommendations.

Luke Cage 170-oh, this was the last issue? At least it was sweet with his daughter Danielle!! Sad

Having a hard time getting back into Dr. Strange and Damnation. I know i won't regret it...just seems like a chore to start? Weird of me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS