HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:25:16 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 17, 2018  (Read 6415 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 16, 2018, 01:10:22 AM »

I hate it when I write up a whole post, preview it, then close the browser before clicking post.  

Second try at prepping this early.   Cheesy

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 688
Doctor Strange 388
Domino 1
Exiles 1
Old Man Logan 38
Thanos 18

ComiXology
Batman 57
Justice League Dark 4
New Challengers 6 - Final Issue!
Grass Kings 1
Grass Kings 2
Grass Kings 3
Grass Kings 4
Grass Kings 5
Grass Kings 6
Hit-Girl Vol 1: Columbia (Collecting issues 1-4)
Oblivion Song 7
The Sixth Gun TPB Vol 5  (Collecting issues 24-29)
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #85
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #86
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #87
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #88
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #89
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #90
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:42:30 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 01:31:40 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 688
Doctor Strange 388
Domino 1

Exiles 1
Old Man Logan 38
Thanos 18

ComiXology
Batman 57
Justice League Dark 4
New Challengers 6

Grass Kings 1
Grass Kings 2
Grass Kings 3
Grass Kings 4
Grass Kings 5
Grass Kings 6
Oblivion Song 7

Avengers 688 - This story has been fun to read even though it has run a little too long.  Only two issues left and it looks like the big battle is coming up.

Doctor Strange 388 - Weirdness abounds.  But that's normal in the world of Dr Strange!

Domino 1 - I like it.  Fairly standard first issue but who doesn't like Domino?   Grin

Batman 57 - well that was.....strange......

Justice League Dark 4 - I'm ready for this cross over to be done.  It's not terrible but it's not grabbing my interest either.

New Challengers 6 - Glad that's done.  Had potential but it lost its way somewhere along the journey.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:42:22 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 688
Doctor Strange 388
Domino 1
Exiles 1
Old Man Logan 38
Thanos 18

ComiXology
Batman 57
Justice League Dark 4
New Challengers 6
Grass Kings 1
Grass Kings 2

Grass Kings 3
Grass Kings 4
Grass Kings 5
Grass Kings 6
Oblivion Song 7
The Sixth Gun TPB Vol 5  (Collecting issues 24-29)

Exiles 1 - Not bad 1st issue.  I'll check out the first arc but not sure if I'll stay past that.

Old Man Logan 38 - I'm so ready for the real Wolverine to be back.

Thanos 18 - Good ending to this arc.  Thanos consistently remains a good book.

Grass Kings 1 & 2 - I'm in.  Good story/mystery kicking off on this.  It's only a 15 issue run and I bet it doesn't take me long to go through it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:52 AM »

Grass Kings 1 & 2 - I'm in.  Good story/mystery kicking off on this.  It's only a 15 issue run and I bet it doesn't take me long to go through it.

Yet another book I read the first four issues of and then let it go to the wayside.

I am doing better about that kind of stuff now, but it has only been one week and I haven't read a bunch of stuff either. Not sure if reading less is gonna help my cause.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Didn't get to the LCS until today, but I'm going to try/I'm most excited about the following for this week:
*crosses fingers*
Oh ... and it is so crazy seeing all those foil DC covers that have been coming in to the shop over the last month or so. The DC section looks crazy. Like it just stepped out of 1995, but I mean that as a strangely odd compliment.  Grin They look really wild. They are the regular covers, so it is really an all foil DC section, mostly. Looks wacky but cool
 Cheesy

Marvel Two In One #10
Marvel Zombie #1
MoKF #20
MoKF #21

Cursed Comics Cavalcade #1
Lucifer #1
The Dreaming #2
Manhunter #7
Manhunter #8
Wonder Woman #56 (part 4 of the Witching hour)

Black Hammer: Age of Doom #6
Wildcats #1 (1993)
Wildcats #2

And I am leaving it with those for now ... we shall see ...
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:26:49 AM »

Going to see if I can keep my lists full until the price drops $1.

But we all know I'll buy this next week at full price.   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 688
Doctor Strange 388
Domino 1
Exiles 1
Old Man Logan 38
Thanos 18

ComiXology
Batman 57
Justice League Dark 4
New Challengers 6
Grass Kings 1
Grass Kings 2
Grass Kings 3
Grass Kings 4
Grass Kings 5
Grass Kings 6
Oblivion Song 7

Grass Kings 3-6 - Oh yeah.  This finished up the first arc and it is really really good.  Perry - since it's only 15 issues you should be able to read the whole thing fairly quickly.  It's hard to put down and if you have all the issues....

Hit-Girl Vol 1: Columbia (Collecting issues 1-4) - Well that was fun.  The art is a little too cartoony and the weaponry has gone over the top but it's Hit-Girl.  Hard not enjoy.

Oblivion Song 7 - Finally the mystery of what happened is revealed.  Art still stinks but I like the story.

(At the pace I'm going I may need to add the rest of those Grass King comics.   Grin  )

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »

Going to see if I can keep my lists full until the price drops $1.

But we all know I'll buy this next week at full price.   Cheesy

Go ahead and wait on this one  Sad The art wasn't that fulfilling for me and the story, although maybe paying off next issue, didn't bowl me over either. Quite possibly my least favorite of the series ... or series of series even.
 Undecided

Oblivion Song 7 - Finally the mystery of what happened is revealed.  

I did read the reveal. A good one and one we should have seen coming too, yeah?
 Grin

Grass Kings 3-6 - Oh yeah.  This finished up the first arc and it is really really good.  Perry - since it's only 15 issues you should be able to read the whole thing fairly quickly.

Yeah, once I heard it was ending I told myself I need to pick it back up and finish what I started, but then I read .... something along the lines of Spawn #274 or some crap Roll Eyes  and never got back to it. Again, part of my problem of having too much access to too many options right now is just killing me.
I'm working on it though and didn't even hit the LCS until Thursday this week, and I felt fine Wednesday, so that is something. Grin Now I just have to keep my eyes of all the cool stuff I see on the racks and stop talking to the damn people there Cheesy and get through some of the stuff I have here.
 Grin

EDIT - Oh yeah, may as well add my reads ...

Okay, the book I looked forward to the most kinda let me down this week (Lucifer), as did my second book I was looking forward to (Black Hammer), so I was not off to an auspicious start  Undecided , but then ... yes, I back slid a little and picked up a book I had no intention or right to. Especially since I am trying to cut down on the frivolous, but this one comic that I should have left on the shelf totally saved last night's three issue reading. This is exactly why I don't stay on schedule (or "stay on target" to quote a famous X-Wing pilot), even though I am trying my best to do exactly that.
 Grin  

Lucifer #1 - Okay, honestly don't remember how the last series ended ... or in fact if I finished it (again, a problem I am working on ~see above  Cheesy) but I didn't enjoy the start of this newest series as much as I was hoping for. Art was fine, but the story left me wanting. Looking forward to seeing more Caliban however.

Black Hammer: Age of Doom #6 - and then this one ... ugh ... not one of the best to say the least. Hoping there is an art change on the next issue as well as a more impactful story. Although maybe I was just spoiled by the latest issue of Quantum Age? Nah ... this wasn't that fun, period.

Marvel Zombie #1 - This one shot special, an issue to keep the Simon Garth rights active I suppose, was just what the doctor ordered. Man was this good. You MU fans must pick this up and read it when it hits the MU Bleed. Holy cow was this a fun (and funny), Halloween read. Sure the ending was a little bullshit, but it just made the one-shot, alternate universe tale that much better. I'm not going to spoil one single line, even though I want to quote about four of them right now (and will do so for about a week around the house  Grin) but yeah, make sure you guys read this when it is up for grabs. Not a "buy", it is a one-shot after all, but one of the best comics I read ... well ...  so far this week, at the very least
 Wink
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:17:21 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 688
Doctor Strange 388
Domino 1
Exiles 1
Old Man Logan 38
Thanos 18

ComiXology
Batman 57
Justice League Dark 4
New Challengers 6
Grass Kings 1
Grass Kings 2
Grass Kings 3
Grass Kings 4
Grass Kings 5
Grass Kings 6
Oblivion Song 7

The Sixth Gun Vol 5 - Glad I jumped back into this now that its done.  I like it much more reading it in trade.

Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #85-90 - End of the series.  Wow.  Rarely does a comic book actually stir up emotions in my cold dead heart but this series did it at every turn.  Lots of surprise twists and turns and gut punches and happy times.  Terry Moore is an amazing storyteller and artist.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »

Going to try and read through all of the Grass King issues since I'm on a pretty fast pace this week.

Adding:

ComiXology
Grass Kings 7
Grass Kings 8
Grass Kings 9
Grass Kings 10
Grass Kings 11
Grass Kings 12
Grass Kings 13
Grass Kings 14
Grass Kings 15

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »

ComiXology
Grass Kings 7
Grass Kings 8
Grass Kings 9
Grass Kings 10
Grass Kings 11
Grass Kings 12
Grass Kings 13
Grass Kings 14
Grass Kings 15

Easy fast read and I recommend.  Pretty fun murder mystery.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 03:10:42 AM »

Adding some more:

ComiXology
The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun TPB (Collecting Sons of the Gun 1-5)
Death or Glory 5
Hit-Girl 5
Hit-Girl 6
Hit-Girl 7
Hit-Girl 8
Kick-Ass 1
Kick-Ass 2
Kick-Ass 3
Kick-Ass 4
Kick-Ass 5
Kick-Ass 6
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 1
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 2
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 3
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 4
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 5
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 1
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 2
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 3
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 4
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 5
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 6
Echo Vol 1: Moon Lake TPB (Collecting Echo 1-5)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »

ComiXology
Death or Glory 5
Hit-Girl 5
Hit-Girl 6
Hit-Girl 7
Hit-Girl 8

Kick-Ass 1
Kick-Ass 2
Kick-Ass 3
Kick-Ass 4
Kick-Ass 5
Kick-Ass 6

The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun - backstory of General Hume’s four horseman. Just as fun as the main book.

Death or Glory 5 - not really enjoying this but feel like I need to finish the story.

Hit-Girl 5-8 - Hit-Girl in Canada and written by Jeff Lemire.  Yeah it’s that good.   Smiley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:44:29 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:30 AM »

Death or Glory 5 - not really enjoying this but feel like I need to finish the story.

I couldn't do it. I ... enjoyed the first issue well enough and issue two wasn't horrible, but that last couple made me realize I just don't care about the characters in this book so I dropped it. The second book by Remender that I have dropped, Low being the second. I did however pick Low back up so who knows, maybe this title will be like that?

And while you, Texas Jeff, are busting through issues as easy and as fast as taking breaths of air on a Colorado morning Cheesy I am struggling to get anything read. And sadly, finding little joy in what I choose.
 Undecided

Hawkman #5 - Amazing how after the first issue I almost dropped this. Glad I held on. Best of the four here
Wonder Woman #56
Justice League Dark #4
- Parts 2 and 3 of the "Witching Hour". I am feeling like Jeff on this one ... Meh
Justice League #9 -I read this instead of Manhunter #8? Why? Why am I still reading this? I'm finding no enjoyment from it, but as it is the main DC team book I feel I should keep up with what is happening within these pages, even if what is in the pages is doing absolutely nothing for me. Next we have Atlantis. Maybe that one will be the one issue I have been waiting for.

Marvel Zombie #1

Lucifer #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »

ComiXology
Death or Glory 5
Hit-Girl 5
Hit-Girl 6
Hit-Girl 7
Hit-Girl 8
Kick-Ass 1
Kick-Ass 2
Kick-Ass 3
Kick-Ass 4
Kick-Ass 5
Kick-Ass 6

Kick-Ass 1-6 - I like it!  The new Kick-Ass girl makes sense - ex marine.  First arc was good and I'm looking forward to catching up on this.

Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 1-3 - Enjoying this also.  Not going to make it to the end tonight but I like the espionage story.  And it has a backup story as well which is interesting too.

Rolling the rest over for next week.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »

Ended up finishing a lot stronger than I imagined I would, especially after such a slow going at the beginning of the week. One or two of these may have been after the official midnight of the new day, but hey, I'm including it
 Grin

Master of Kung Fu #20
Master of Kung Fu #21
Master of Kung Fu #22
Master of Kung Fu #23
- Honestly this was some pretty rough reading here. Shang-Chi going around the globe beating people, sharks and other wildlife  Grin with not too much of a story. Just a lot of "Kung Fu ACTION". He is just starting to get hooked up with Black Jack Tarr again, so I am hopeful of the future. I know it gets back to being good, just hope it is soon. Cheesy

New Challengers #5
New Challengers #6
- Man I wanted so much more out of this series. The talent was there on the title, the fun was not  Angry
Manhunter #7
Manhunter #8
Manhunter #9
Manhunter #10
- Just loving this damn title. I already gave myself only one more month of DCU so I better finish it soon ... unless they change the comic section into keeping comics up that they have put up and stop taking things down after a short time. Or taking them down after a long time. Taking them down at anytime is just stupid. So if I see a series I want to read and I join when the series went up I have time to read it, but if I join a month later, find the series later than everyone else I may not finish the run? Or at least the arc? It happened to a bunch of people with The New Teen Titans when they took issues 1-13 (I think it was) and a lot of people are giving them hell as they only just now joined and didn't get time to read it all. Infact one person got to issue #8 and they took it off, he was left hanging
 Roll Eyes

Ice Cream Man #7
Cemetery Beach #2
- Going to stop reading this until it's finished. I couldn't remember what happened last issue  Grin
X-O Manowar #19 - In a couple months this will be my last remaining Valiant title.  Undecided
Wildcats (original 1993 series) #1
Wildcats #2
Wildcats #3
- Man this was like reading a Clairmont issue. Lots of text!! LOTS!! Still pretty fun for what it is. Going to read this, Stormwatch, Backlash, etc ... (all the Wildstorm stuff) from the beginning. I was out of comics for most of it the first time. Want to settle in and get the entire story this time around.
 Grin

Marvel Zombie #1

Hawkman #5
Wonder Woman #56
Justice League Dark #4

Justice League #9
Lucifer #1

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS