HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:28:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 3, 2018  (Read 5592 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 01, 2018, 11:36:05 PM »

Yes, I'm starting this thread a couple of days early.  Mainly because I finished off my list for this week and I already know what I'm going to dig into starting Wednesday.

Looking forward to catching up on a LOT of these titles!

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 36
Old Man Logan 37
New Mutants: Dead Souls 1
Astonishing X-Men 9
Cable 155
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 18
Old Man Hawkeye 3
Jessica Jones 18
Daredevil 600
Avengers 666

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 12
Death or Glory 4
Die!Die!Die! 2
Gideon Falls 6
Ninja-K 10
Oblivion Song 6
Redneck 14
Seven to Eternity 10
Walking Dead 181
Walking Dead 182
The Wicked + The Divine 38
Batman 56
DC Nation 5
Deathstroke 36
Strangers in Paradaise Vol 3 #74
Strangers in Paradaise Vol 3 #75
Strangers in Paradaise Vol 3 #76
Strangers in Paradaise Vol 3 #77
Strangers in Paradaise Vol 3 #78
Nightwing 35 - The seven part "Untouchable Hunters" storyline I've had in my library for awhile.  Finally going to get to this!
Nightwing 36
Nightwing 37
Nightwing 38
Nightwing 39
Nightwing 40
Nightwing 41

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 02:56:57 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 36
Old Man Logan 37
Astonishing X-Men 9
Cable 155

Old Man Hawkeye 3
Jessica Jones 18
Daredevil 600
Avengers 666

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 12
Death or Glory 4
Die!Die!Die! 2
Gideon Falls 6
Ninja-K 10
Oblivion Song 6
Redneck 14
Seven to Eternity 10
Walking Dead 181
Walking Dead 182
Batman 56
DC Nation 5
Deathstroke 36
Nightwing 35 - The seven part "Untouchable Hunters" storyline I've had in my library for awhile.  Finally going to get to this!
Nightwing 36
Nightwing 37
Nightwing 38
Nightwing 39
Nightwing 40
Nightwing 41

I'm off to a decent start.

New Mutants - Hmmm.  I'm not really liking this art and the characterization seems a little off.  But I do love these characters so I imagine I'll stick around for this.  I think it's a mini anyway.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra - this comic is still a lot of fun.  Really enjoying it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »

New Mutants - Hmmm.  I'm not really liking this art and the characterization seems a little off.  But I do love these characters so I imagine I'll stick around for this.

The art, for me, is one of those weird "this doesn't look right, but it looks kinda neat" styles to it. You ever get those? An art style that you don't really enjoy for the first few panels or pages, but slowly it starts to creep into your brain that it is an interesting take? That is one of those art styles here, for me Grin
I didn't notice any off characterization, but as I was only a off and on reader of the New Mutants, and hardly any with Guido (except for the Peter David run ... no older stuff) so I can't really comment much. They do seem, all seem, to be a tad "over the top", but again, I am going off my memory of Peter David's take more than how they were for most of their title run.

I think it's a mini anyway.

Yes, 5 issues. And I have to read the last 3
 Undecided

What I am going to TRY and knock out this week. And yes, I'm keeping it small to start as I know there will be more of the dreaded "Titleous Temptationious" that will pull me away from this particular list and onto totally different titles.
 Cheesy

Dr. Strange #6
Asgardians of the Galaxy #2
Infinity War: Sleepwalker #1
Punisher #2
More MoKF?

The Dreaming #2
Batman #56
Wonder Woman/Justice League Dark: Witching Hour #1
DC Nation #5
Nightwing #50 (I know the ending, what I don't know is why the hell I'm going to read this? Last Percy issue too, so not like a new writer starting. Yeah, no idea, Maybe because Snyder help set up the new status quo going forward here?)

A Walk Through Hell #5
Lone Ranger #1
Wrong Earth #1
Magic Order #4
Redneck #15
Dr. Who: The 13th Dr #0

Jeez ... that list was bigger than I thought. On second thought, I don't see me finishing this list, so I'm not gonna try.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »

They do seem, all seem, to be a tad "over the top", but again, I am going off my memory of Peter David's take more than how they were for most of their title run.

That’s what I meant really.  Some of the characters seemed a little full of themselves.

Oh man I forgot about this.  Better go pick it up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 36
Old Man Logan 37
Astonishing X-Men 9
Cable 155
Old Man Hawkeye 3
Jessica Jones 18
Daredevil 600
Avengers 666

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 12
Death or Glory 4
Die!Die!Die! 2
Gideon Falls 6
Ninja-K 10
Oblivion Song 6
Redneck 14
Seven to Eternity 10
Walking Dead 181
Walking Dead 182
Batman 56
DC Nation 5
Deathstroke 36
ADD:  Wonder Woman/Justice League Dark: Witching Hour #1
Nightwing 36
Nightwing 37
Nightwing 38
Nightwing 39
Nightwing 40
Nightwing 41

Slowed down a little bit since I went to the Dallas Stars season opener last night.  But finished up the Marvel stuff.  Hopefully the ComiXolgy stuff will be fast reads..

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:06:09 AM »

Okay, so this week I have read ... ok, pretty much nothing ... much less any of I wanted to, but I did just sign up for a free week of DC Unlimited and read

Manhunter #1 - I know this series has always been on my list of "Im gonna read that someday", and so after seeing the series up on the platform I decided to give it a shot.

Also was reading a lot of posts on the site and I don't think it will be too long before DC, at the very least, doubles its amount of monthly comic content. People don't seem to be to happy about having one or two issues of a title, especially when, as was the case for one title that I saw, when they only have one issue of the entire run and it is an issue that is part 3 of a 4 part story.
 Roll Eyes

Also the platform/site is still somewhat buggy with my one issue knocking me out and off site twice and shutting down the comic one other time. Seems like a rushed entry to get this out. Hope they get it together. If so, I will be there. Gonna cancel after my first free week for now. Gonna check back in awhile and if they do indeed offer more or get off this limited amount, I may join on a yearly basis.

But if you want to get some free reading in, try it for a week. They have a good bit of the Titans books up there.

Dr. Strange #6
Asgardians of the Galaxy #2
Infinity War: Sleepwalker #1
Punisher #2
More MoKF?

The Dreaming #2
Batman #56
DC Nation #5
Nightwing #50

A Walk Through Hell #5
Lone Ranger #1
Wrong Earth #1
Magic Order #4
Redneck #15
Dr. Who: The 13th Dr #0

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:16 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 36
Old Man Logan 37
Astonishing X-Men 9
Cable 155
Old Man Hawkeye 3
Jessica Jones 18
Daredevil 600
Avengers 666

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 12
Death or Glory 4
Die!Die!Die! 2
Gideon Falls 6
Ninja-K 10
Oblivion Song 6
Redneck 14
Seven to Eternity 10
Walking Dead 181
Walking Dead 182
Batman 56
DC Nation 5
Deathstroke 36

Nightwing 35 - The seven part "Untouchable Hunters" storyline I've had in my library for awhile.  Finally going to get to this!
Nightwing 36
Nightwing 37
Nightwing 38
Nightwing 39
Nightwing 40
Nightwing 41

Made a lot of progress.  It's possible that I could finish this list out by tomorrow but we'll see.  I enjoyed all the books I've read on the list but nothing just popped out as WOW.  Still good stories and moving the arc's along nicely.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:53:26 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 01:23:04 AM »

People don't seem to be to happy about having one or two issues of a title, especially when, as was the case for one title that I saw, when they only have one issue of the entire run and it is an issue that is part 3 of a 4 part story.
 Roll Eyes

Well that makes absolutely no sense at all.  If your gonna hook people in you have to start with issue 1.  And it's not like they don't have a tone of comics already digitized.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »

Yeah, bad planning all around. I swear, I know DC had to be thinking of doing a digital site for awhile, if for nothing else Marvel's seeming success at it, but this site seems really rushed in a way. Almost as if ...

"We have Titans beginning and we want to try a digital comics service to push the show, lets get that done this week, guys"
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 36
Old Man Logan 37
Astonishing X-Men 9
Cable 155
Old Man Hawkeye 3
Jessica Jones 18
Daredevil 600
Avengers 666

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 12
Death or Glory 4
Die!Die!Die! 2
Gideon Falls 6
Ninja-K 10
Oblivion Song 6
Redneck 14
Seven to Eternity 10
Walking Dead 181
Walking Dead 182
Batman 56
DC Nation 5
Deathstroke 36

Nightwing 35
Nightwing 36
Nightwing 37
Nightwing 38
Nightwing 39
Nightwing 40
Nightwing 41

Strangers in Paradise - I'm winding down to the final 14 issues of this run.  Nice to see some things wrapping up and coming to closure.  This has been a fun series to read.  By the time I finish it Moore may be close to finishing the latest series and I'll just keep going as if nothing has changed.   Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:31:30 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 36
Old Man Logan 37
Astonishing X-Men 9
Cable 155
Old Man Hawkeye 3
Jessica Jones 18
Daredevil 600
Avengers 666

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 12
Death or Glory 4
Die!Die!Die! 2
Gideon Falls 6
Ninja-K 10
Oblivion Song 6
Redneck 14
Seven to Eternity 10
Walking Dead 181
Walking Dead 182
Batman 56
DC Nation 5
Deathstroke 36
Nightwing 35

Nightwing 36
Nightwing 37
Nightwing 38
Nightwing 39
Nightwing 40
Nightwing 41

Only got through one Nightwing issue before bedtime.  All in all though I made goo progress.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 02:24:53 PM »

Marvel Universe Mag: Fall - A preview mag that shows some cool things coming. And some not so cool things
MoKF #19 - The absolute oddest issue of Shang-Chi I think I ever read. Haha. Featuring Man-Thing, there are a few panels where Shang-Chi tries to kick Man-Thing and he gets stuck  Cheesy Cheesy both legs sticking out ole Thing's back  Cheesy Cheesy while his torso and hands are sticking out the front. Haha, Just ridiculous.  Cheesy Grin

Nightwing #50 - Yeah, not sure what to think about this. I think this may have helped me decide to leave some of the DC titles along for a couple months to see how it goes. Not that this was bad, but yet another example of reading something, taking time away from other comics that I have set to read for a payoff I didn't really need.

Die!Die!Die! #3 - Another funny, super-spy issue from Kirkman and Chris Burnham. Harsh. Not for the meek.  Cheesy
Magic Order #4 - A title that I down right love. Normally Millar just does the sell out. Yes, that is here too, but done so well.
Redneck #15 - Still just a damn fine book. Love the ending. And hey, lots of love to be had in this issue  Cheesy
Wrong Earth #1 - A great comic. Period. But a comic that I needed to read? Again, I need to stay away from this stuff for awhile
Lone Ranger #1 - Why? Okay, I like Lone Ranger, but again why do I keep reading comics that I am not really into right now? I have soooo much I want to read and all I seem to do is see a cover, get interested for a few minutes/months and all it does is fortifying the distraction of comics I keep saying I want to read. Again, nothing wrong here, but I have a list of comics. I want to read through that list. Yet why do I keep adding new stuff to a list that is not shrinking??? Not sure, but I am going to try and solve it, starting (hopefully) this week
Umbrella Academy" Hotel Oblivion #1 - And to finish it off a title I stopped halfway through. Not because it it bad, but because this is yet another example of me needing to slow down, catch up on some older stuff. So much a perfect example as I am trying to read this "Shiny" "New" title and I have yet to finish reading the original Umbrella Academy Series!!! See? THAT is why I need to step back.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »

Uh yeah!  Finish the first Umbrella Academy first!  Lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS