HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 06:09:22 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 26, 2018  (Read 10351 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 26, 2018, 05:47:00 PM »

Going to hit up some DC and Marvel this week.  And oh yeah - I get a year older on Friday.   Shocked

ComiXology
Action Comics 1003
Batman 54
Batman 55
DC Nation 4
Deathstroke 35
Doomsday Clock 7
Heroes in Crisis 1
Justice League 7
Justice League 8
Justice League Dark 3
Mister Miracle 11
New Challengers 5
Plastic Man 4
Red Hood & the Outlaws 26
Superman 3
The Terrifics 8
The Wild Storm TPB Vol 2

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Man 238
Avengers 683
Avengers 684
Avengers 685
Marvel 2-In-One 4
Doctor Strange 387
Thanos 17
Tales of Suspense 103
Mighty Thor 705
Iron Fist 78

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »

So I go straight from Heroes in Crisis where...

Arsenal and Wally West are killed...

to Batman 55 where....

Nightwing is killed???

WTF?!?!?!?!   What does Tom King have against...

MY FAVORITE TITANS?!?!?!?!?!?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »

I don't know why but it seems like DC's comics are an easier, faster read than most others.  I wonder why that is?  Is it because I'm really enjoying them more than the others right now?  Wouldn't that be something.

ComiXology
Action Comics 1003
Batman 54
Batman 55
DC Nation 4
Deathstroke 35
Doomsday Clock 7
Heroes in Crisis 1

Justice League 7
Justice League 8
Justice League Dark 3
Mister Miracle 11
New Challengers 5
Plastic Man 4
Superman 3
The Terrifics 8
The Wild Storm TPB Vol 2

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Man 238
Avengers 683
Avengers 684
Avengers 685
Marvel 2-In-One 4
Doctor Strange 387
Thanos 17
Tales of Suspense 103
Mighty Thor 705
Iron Fist 78

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:55:46 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:01:57 AM »

Not bad for the first night.  At this rate I could be done by the weekend!

ComiXology
Action Comics 1003
Batman 54
Batman 55
DC Nation 4
Deathstroke 35
Doomsday Clock 7
Heroes in Crisis 1

Justice League 7
Justice League 8
Justice League Dark 3
Mister Miracle 11
New Challengers 5
Plastic Man 4
Superman 3
The Terrifics 8
The Wild Storm TPB Vol 2

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Man 238
Avengers 683
Avengers 684
Avengers 685

Marvel 2-In-One 4
Doctor Strange 387
Thanos 17
Tales of Suspense 103
Mighty Thor 705
Iron Fist 78

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »

Haven't read Heroes in Crisis yet, and if I hit the quote button to respond to you in any way I may be spoiled by seeing what you wrote, but did want you to know one thing about that title. Now this may or may not have any effect on what you are talking about, again, I don't know yet  Cheesy but in Tom King's defense, I do know he stated in an interview that when it came to this mini there were some things he was "asked to do" and some things he had no control over. One of those non-control items that he stated, albeit a small one, was the title. He wasn't the one that insisted on the "Crisis" aspect. A small matter but if there are more.

Again, I haven't read it yet, and King may have upset you, by what I see  Cheesy, but it may not ... may not ... have been his choice.

And I did read Batman #55, and want to discuss that, but again, scared of spoilers for HiC so I will avoid until I get to the LCS or Dave drops by to see what your comment was.
 Smiley
(And I like how the initials I used for Heroes in Crisis looks like the old Hi C logo)
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »

Hey, Jeff!

don't forget that Hot Spot was a Teen Titan
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:45:20 PM »

Hey, Jeff!

Thanks Rodney - I didn't know that!

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »

He was originally known as Joto, but had a name change to match the TT cartoons.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »

ComiXology
Action Comics 1003
Batman 54
Batman 55
DC Nation 4
Deathstroke 35
Doomsday Clock 7
Heroes in Crisis 1
Justice League 7
Justice League 8
Justice League Dark 3
Mister Miracle 11

New Challengers 5
Plastic Man 4
Superman 3
The Terrifics 8
The Wild Storm TPB Vol 2

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Man 238
Avengers 683
Avengers 684
Avengers 685

Marvel 2-In-One 4
Doctor Strange 387
Thanos 17
Tales of Suspense 103
Mighty Thor 705
Iron Fist 78

I'm really not enjoying Justice League.  I like the issues where Snyder focus' on one person but he's not good at these big cosmic-type stories.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop this title.  And that makes me sad.

Justice League Dark, on the other hand, I am enjoying quite a bit.

And Mister Miracle - SOOOOO glad I didn't drop this.  This was a GREAT issue and I can't wait to read the final issue!

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »

Did anyone get JL Odyssey?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 09:13:41 PM »

Did anyone get JL Odyssey?

I passed on that one.  Any good?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »

Hey, Jeff!

I guess that is a spoiler, yeah?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 01:16:25 AM »

ComiXology
Action Comics 1003
Batman 54
Batman 55
DC Nation 4
Deathstroke 35
Doomsday Clock 7
Heroes in Crisis 1
Justice League 7
Justice League 8
Justice League Dark 3
Mister Miracle 11
New Challengers 5
Plastic Man 4

Superman 3
The Terrifics 8
The Wild Storm TPB Vol 2

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Man 238
Avengers 683
Avengers 684
Avengers 685

Marvel 2-In-One 4
Doctor Strange 387
Thanos 17
Tales of Suspense 103
Mighty Thor 705
Iron Fist 78

Blazing through these pretty fast.  I'm pretty sure my speed will come to a stop once the weekend hits.

New Challengers - I think next issue is the last one for this series.  I would have dropped anyway.  Not bad but not wowing me either.

Plastic Man - What I can't figure out is how this series fits in with the Terrifics because clearly Plas is not tied to the Terrifics in it.  Still a fun series but doesn't seem to fit in continuity.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 03:51:16 AM »

Hey, Jeff!

I guess that is a spoiler, yeah?

Minor.  Just an obscure character with a part in the story.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

Okay, as I can't remember what I read Tuesday night, before the Wednesday deadline (or heck, I can't differentiate between what I read Wednesday and last night actually  Cheesy), just gonna through them all in here. I do know I had to wait until 7:30 last night to get a borrowed copy of Heroes in Crisis though
 Angry
But at least I got to read it
 Kiss

Catching up on all the Marvel I had here. Some I may still read day of, or week of, but most I think will slip to the MU. Some are just getting going. One of them a semi-surprise.

Avengers #6
Avengers #7
- I enjoy Pitchelli and Marques' art so much more here than Mcguinness. It just fits Aaron's writing more
Captain America #1
Captain America #2
Captain America #3
- Cap trying to win back the peoples respect while fighting a butt-load of Nuke (character) cyborgs
Doctor Strange #2
Doctor Strange #3
- Good story but you can tell this arc is just a fill in until issue 400 (seven more issues)
Punisher #1 - Now this one ... this one I will stay up to date on. Maybe the Avengers as well, but this one was the best read of them all. Kind of a surprise as I can give or take the character, but I have been enjoying Rosenburg's writing, except for one GLARING mini ... that dreadful Phoenix Resurrection crap, man that was not enjoyable, but the rest of his stuff does have a great feel and characterization. This was brutal too, the way Frank SHOULD be. Fantastic art pushed it to an even higher enjoyment level. Just a good "action heavy" comic.

Heroes in Crisis #1 - I get why people are  less than thrilled by the events shown, but I have a good feeling that things are not going to stay the way they are.  Wink Some will, don't get me wrong, but some will change or ... ya know. I am intrigued.

EDIT - Forgot one-
The Wildstorm #17 - This is so damn Warren Ellis. Slow moving, but impactful. Lots of panels with no dialog. Really great read when collected, but can be frustrating when you wait month to month and get a small snipet of the overall arc. Still, that last page was pretty, pretty awesome!
 Wink
Only seven more issues and the HC will be mine!!!!
Dc had stated Ellis was going to have or be in charge of about 6 or 7 different Wildstorm titles, but I have heard of nothing else so far. I don't think these are selling well, sadly, but also expected I would think, so this may be the last Wildstorm stuff for awhile. That does bother me. I really enjoy that universe, of what it could be I guess, even though Ellis really took Backlash a new route (holycrap) I remember Brett Booth on that title and, at the time, enjoying his stuff. And while I am not a Superman "guy" I did enjoy Majestic. The backstory with him and how it tied into the Wildcats and ... man ... I may have to go to the back catalog soon.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:29:08 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS