HR Boards
September 21, 2018, 08:25:55 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ant-Man and the Wasp DVD releases October 2018!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, this is me  (Read 25 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 16, 2018, 05:32:17 AM »

Um....just haven't felt I've been posting (um, because I haven't!), and I just wanted to talk to you guys for a bit.

The wife is a school teacher, so when returning to work after Labor Day, the month of September is a blur of fatigue, sleeplessness, and exhaustion.

Little man did not transition well to going back to daycare. He began having more meltdowns...and not just tantrums, but a 'meltdown'-and with autism spectrum, this is the kind of thing that means he cannot soothed, self-soothed, or be made to come out of it, even if his original requirement is remet-(i WANT TO CLOSE THE DOOR!) Gentlemen, we had one last for 65 minutes. He didn't get a chance to throw away his boogery kleenex. These events were happening with a frequency of 3+ times a week for 3 weeks. Before you say 'that's a kid's tantrums when he's 2', well, we decided to scare ourself with autism research, and also doing comparisons with friends' who have autistic children. Also, there was no sleep, so the biggest shadow demons rear their heads. Was there some other instance of Sensory Stimulation Overload? (also a thing), Yes, we believe that, but things have gotten better.

Things got better from the illnesses that came back. Little lady got 2 ear infections, Little man got a sinus infection, I got sick and lost my voice for 2 days (also, I was recovering from a vasectomy), and within days, the wife was sick as well. There were days that stretched into a work week and more where what I was doing wasn't called 'sleep' at night. Kids were waking, crying, upset, sick, or melting down, or I was in pain as well. Things sucked.

Then, well, comics-wise, yes, I ditched the Bendis Superman stuff, I ended the Robinson WW right before the climax, didn't bother to stick around for 6 month fill ins, and Venditti's GL is ending. Super Sons was also done (but come back in a different form!), but I was just feeling my books were going away. Being sick, it's hard to find time to just sit and read a bunch of Unlimited comics as well. So, I just haven't been reading or buying either. It's why I like coming here to see what is being bought and read!(and discussed some, even if it's just a line or two).

That said, I'm a TTRPG guy too, and with the Pathfinder system putting out a second edition (digitally for free), I've been spending some time getting into that, as well as just buying up old adventure sets that I didn't have from ebay. So, I get the brief fun of an ebay hunt, save some money off of original price, still spend money I want to spend Grin , and get something that I enjoy.

I'm sure I'll swing back up from my Perrititis Wink , but right now...some times it feels it's all I can do to get up and do whatever I have to do before i can just go and pass out and forget about the day I just had to sleep through.

That makes it sound real depressing; it's not. Just exhausting and exhaustive. Work has been a tremendous stress; our department is bleeding people everywhere-they just keep leaving, and no one wants to come work for us. And I actually get it. For now, my job is so solid, that I could murder someone and keep my position. They've been trying to hire people for 8 months within my region, and it' ain't happening. So, maybe yeah, that's causing some stress as well.

That's me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »

Hey man, first of all glad to hear all things are going at a good clip for you. By saying that I mean I can see you have some stuff in your life that you have to deal with that, well, I am not jealous of in the slightest (nor could I personally survive them), but I'm so very glad to hear you are finding some form of escapism and/or relief from the mental exhaustion that can come about from having things in you life be a little haywire.

That is not to say that you would change anything about your life, per se, I know you love your family and you should, but as lucky as we were with our kids, I still struggled as a parent at times, and that was just dealing with the typical trail and error stuff that most parents deal with. I barely survived that. I couldn't image having to deal with something along the lines of what you are going through. Again, I know the struggle is worth it for you, but I'm just trying to say you are a better man than me for being able to handle it.
 Smiley
Even doing what Jeff did, bringing up a little girl starting at his age  Wink his old age, I couldn't do that either, but man, it seems you have an even fuller plate. I could not do it.

I wish you (and Jeff of course  Grin) nothing but continued success and I hope things settle down soon for you.

I also hope you take this post as it was intended  Grin I'm not the best at these things as we have already established.
 Cheesy
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »

Beer.  Lots of beer.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS