HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:53:16 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are American comics finally changing?  (Read 2576 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 20, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »

So I now see yet another Image title is going "Trade Only" with their publishing plans. Image's Moonstruck title now joins Astro City in going away from the monthly format and switching exclusively to Graphic Novel format. Add in Brubaker and Phillip's My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies original GN and it makes me wonder; are we finally going to start prodicing comics the best way? Going to the large chunk reading format?

I know I certainly hope so. Not only does it help my brain not having to remember what happened last month, although now I will have to remember what happened 7 months ago  Cheesy, I still prefer reading comics in chunks. Yes, it takes the monthly cliffhanger out of the equation (not a shock when you only have to wait the time it takes to turn a page), but writers can still write for the cliffhanger in different ways.

I don't think I would be so for this if DC would just put a freakin' short synopsis in each monthly title to catch us up, the twice monthly books are not too bad, but then again this goes beyond not being able to remember month to month story arcs, comics just read better collected. Always have. To me at least.
 Lips sealed

I hope to see more and more creator owned titles going this route,  with the major companies following suite. I know the big two have tried this is the past, but it really is a different time now.

Hopefully this story gets more interesting.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS