HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:37:20 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 25, 2018  (Read 10835 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »

How's that Flash arc?

Excellent.  I like that we have an "event" contained in a single title.  It's got time travel, multiple speedsters, and teases answers to the Flash/Batman Button crossover.  Answers that only bring more questions of course.  Still an enjoyable story.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »

Sweet! Thanks. If I get the time  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I will try and check it out. I have to be in the mood for over-excessive lightning, but I get that way from time to time.

(Still hate the Wally doesn't have his own costume, Just Barry's with the top down  Cheesy)
 Cry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »

Gonna be close to get through this list by Wednesday.  But you never know!

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 676
Doctor Strange 384
Generation X 86
Mighty Thor 703
Weapon X 13
Secret Warriors 10
Secret Warriors 11
Secret Warriors 12

ComiXology
Aquaman 38
Batman 50
Batman 51
Deathstoke 33
Doomsday Clock 6
The Flash 48
The Flash 49
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 47
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 48
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 49
Hawkman 1
The Immortal Men 4
Justice League 3
Justice League 4

Justice League Dark 1
Man of Steel 5
Man of Steel 6
Mera:  Queen of Atlantis 5
Mera:  Queen of Atlantis 6

New Challengers 3
Plastic Man 1
Red Hood & the Outlaws 24
The Terrifics 5
The Terrifics 6
Titans 23

Immortal Men - not bad but not enough to keep my attention.  I think I've modifeid Perry's philosopy and going to say 4 and done on this one.

Justice League - Still not sucked into this yet.  And I so want to be.  Has Snyder lost his magic?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:46:39 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »

Justice League - Still not sucked into this yet.  And I so want to be.  Has Snyder lost his magic?

Oh I hope not. I know I wasn't pulled into issue #1, at all, but I was hoping that it was due to me being still disappointed in the four issue No Justice mini that was ... not great. I still haven't read issues two through four yet, but you are not giving me goosebumps about sitting down with the issues, that's for sure.
 Undecided

But the fact I have yet to read much of Justice League just goes to further prove how much of a mood I have been in recently I guess. Just getting more and more feeling of blandness when I think of current comics. I still read them, I still enjoy them, but there is a part of me that is really wanting to just stop reading current comics for about a month or so, just read back issues of stuff I have wanted to read or catch up on others.

I say that but hen the next weeks "reads" will be nothing but new stuff.
 Cheesy

Anywho, what I have read so far -

Die!Die!Die! #1 - After Jeff got me going on Oblivion Song., I decided to go ahead and try Kirkman's other new title. Very much a Ennis or Ellis type book. Intrigued at least.

Justice League Dark #1 - Pretty good start.
Hal & the GLC #49 - Only one more issue to go? Still, love this arc
Green Lanterns #49
Green Lanterns #50
- Dan Jurgens comes on as writer so I decided to give him a shot. An okay start I think.
Legion of Super Heroes #14 - Hahaha, so the Legion is having a membership drive and they are not letting people that they know in, but they will vote in a character that just appeared two panels prior? A character that is inside a small ship? One that they can't see into? Okay, sure, welcome to the Legion Quislet. Even though we never met, even though you have never been seen, you did help us out a little bit about two hours ago so .... Yeah, come on it!!! We just voted to let Polar Boy in and another woman we never met, who wears a mask, so you know we are CRAAAAZY right now.
 Grin Grin Grin
Action #1001 - The story I am ready to express will contain spoilers in tone for this issue, so skip this if you want to read the issue first.   Smiley A long time ago (when I was about 10 or 11) I jumped on Byrne's Superman ... it wasn't long before I jumped off (Just not a Superman fan) ... however about a year after I dropped Superman, I walked into the LCS and there saw a cover belonging to a comic I just had to buy. Yep, there I was buying a Superman title solely because of what I saw on the cover. There was Supes, on his back, on the ground, and standing over top of him was the new character I had never seen, but thought looked so damn cool that I had to try the book. The book was THIS ONE That book got me back into reading the Superman titles for a time (and going back and finding more of the ones I had missed when I stopped the first time  Grin) and so good or bad, I will always have a spot in my heart for that cover. Well this issue gave me one heck of a similar cool feeling. Not due to the cover, but what goes on inside. Yeppers, what I got from that book back then, is very like the feeling I got with this one, just one was on the outside and one is on the inside. I am excited again. Don't care if I am alone on that feeling or not  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »

Justice League - Still not sucked into this yet.  And I so want to be.  Has Snyder lost his magic?

Oh I hope not. I know I wasn't pulled into issue #1, at all, but I was hoping that it was due to me being still disappointed in the four issue No Justice mini that was ... not great. I still haven't read issues two through four yet, but you are not giving me goosebumps about sitting down with the issues, that's for sure.
 Undecided

Maybe lowered expectations will make you like it?  As is for me, I may not even bother finishing the arc.  But Grodd is cool.

Die!Die!Die! #1 - After Jeff got me going on Oblivion Song., I decided to go ahead and try Kirkman's other new title. Very much a Ennis or Ellis type book. Intrigued at least.

Ok - I'll add it the Wish List and check it out when the price drops next month.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 12:07:38 AM »

Perry,

Love what you love, and never worry about pleasing the opposition.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »

Waid's 3rd time on Cap isn't that real inspired writing, is it? Just read the Kraven issue. So far, I've been a bit ambivalent to the writing of these last 4 issues.

Deadpool 292 is awesome. In fact, if you have the druthers for it, read Duggan's entire DP run. This is how the character shines. Just great. Wanting to get it in trades means over 19 trades. Damnit!

Iron Fist alongside Sabertooth is so bizarre, but oh well I like reading!

Started the first issue of extraordinary X men 'man named X' so weird but really cool.

Justice League 3-you're right, good, or good enough, but not brilliant or locking me in tight to anticipate this each month. Got issue 4 waiting at home.

Aquaman 37-i really like this secondary artist! Figures are so sexy in rendering.

Black Panther 168(or so) just not.. what... I really love much. Not hating it, just not real engaged.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »

Justice League - Still not sucked into this yet.  And I so want to be.  Has Snyder lost his magic?

Undecided

Maybe lowered expectations will make you like it?  As is for me, I may not even bother finishing the arc.  But Grodd is cool.

Hey, yeah, that may work!!  Grin

Ok - I'll add it the Wish List and check it out when the price drops next month.

Do that. If for nothing else the Burnam art looks cool. And don't forget Isola!!! (Okay, that may be more a Jimmy title than yours, but can someone please tell me they at least checked out the preview pages I linked?
 Tongue

Perry,

Love what you love, and never worry about pleasing the opposition.  Wink

Right on!
 Smiley

Waid's 3rd time on Cap isn't that real inspired writing, is it? 

Nope. And that is a good word for it too, uninspiring. It is just ... there. Filler Cap stories. I hear Tanhesi Coats' current run is great so far, but I am so far behind in my Marvel reading I can't comment on it yet.

Deadpool 292 is awesome. In fact, if you have the druthers for it, read Duggan's entire DP run. This is how the character shines. Just great. Wanting to get it in trades means over 19 trades. Damnit!

Yeah, I checked out a couple issues here and then, more flip through than checked out, and it seemed pretty good. My boy Dave has a stack of Spidey/Deadpool comics by ... I forgot who now ... Thompson? Thomas? Hell, I don't know. Any thoughts on the title?

Iron Fist alongside Sabertooth is so bizarre, but oh well I like reading!

Ha, yeah, odd that Sabretooth started out as an Iron Fist villain first anyway. Never got that. Sometimes villains find their true nemesis elsewhere.  Grin Like Kingpin for example. He is so much a DD baddie now it is weird thinking about all the years he was a Spider-Man villain mainly.

Started the first issue of extraordinary X men 'man named X' so weird but really cool.

Is that Astonishing X-Men instead? I think that is the first arc of that title

Black Panther 168(or so) just not.. what... I really love much. Not hating it, just not real engaged.

Tell ya what, Wait for the newest Black Panther title. Not if you are a Panther fan, but if you are a Star Wars fan. THAT is what the current Black Panther is, Star Panther Black Wars
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »

Looks like the next week will be all Marvel!   Grin

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 676
Doctor Strange 384
Generation X 86
Mighty Thor 703
Weapon X 13
Secret Warriors 10
Secret Warriors 11
Secret Warriors 12

ComiXology
Aquaman 38
Batman 50
Batman 51
Deathstroke 33
Doomsday Clock 6
The Flash 48
The Flash 49
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 47
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 48
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 49
Hawkman 1
The Immortal Men 4
Justice League 3
Justice League 4
Justice League Dark 1
Man of Steel 5
Man of Steel 6
Mera:  Queen of Atlantis 5
Mera:  Queen of Atlantis 6
New Challengers 3
Plastic Man 1
Red Hood & the Outlaws 24
The Terrifics 5
The Terrifics 6
Titans 23

Dropped Titans and Immortal Men from my subscriptions.  Justice League will depend on next weeks issue 5.  I'm considering adding Flash, Superman and Action Comics to replace them.

Best comics I read this week were Batman 51, Justice League Dark 1, and Plastic Man 1.  Hal Jordan was good too but I'm getting tired of it for some reason.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »

Man did time slip away from me this week. Just bought the wife a new laptop and both of us new phones (Galaxy S9s) to replace our ... tad older phones (Galaxy S4s)  Grin. This will be our third set of phones that we have had since we got married 20 plus years ago.  Cheesy We had two Motorola Flip phones prior to getting the S4s, which were already so old we were able to get them from BestBuy for a whopping $1 each  Cheesy

Anyway, setting these puppies up, much less setting up the wife's laptop has taken me away from comics for a few, or at least conversing about them but here is what I was able to finish Tuesday night, I believe before midnight, but if not, they are here anyway.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Terrifics #6 - I still like this, but ... I don't know, it's ... well, it's fine. Yeah, it's fine.
The Wild Storm #10
The Wild Storm #11
- The actual title to this book and not Wildstorm as Jeff pointed out (I never even noticed that it wasn't one word this time around  Cheesy) and I also didn't know/realize I was this far behind on this title. I plan on changing that and knocking out these two issue were a good start. This book is so ... Ellis. I think this is a more relaxed, modern and more non-cinematic version of his original Stormwatch and Authority that I fell is a natural progression to "age". It is not as "jaw-dropping" as his first run on those titles, but it is still just as valid a read ... albeit much slower in pacing

The Realm #8 - This damn apocalyptic take on Dungeons and Dragons is slowly just grabbing me harder and harder. Much like the Palantir of Orthanc (thanks interwebs!!  Cheesy) this book is just peering into me. Hahaha. Okay, this is not having that much of an impact, but I am enjoying it more and more. I think because we are seeing more and more of the bad guys.
 Grin

And also read priors -

Die!Die!Die! #1

Justice League Dark #1
Hal & the GLC #49
Green Lanterns #49
Green Lanterns #50

Legion of Super Heroes #14
Action #1001

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS