HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 01:32:14 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monthly Comic Must Reads  (Read 4800 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 31, 2018, 03:07:31 PM »

I know we read a lot of comics around here for a lot of reasons.  My range of reasons includes great story, love of the character, love of a certain writer.  A lot of the time I find that I'm reading a comic line because I love the character but the story really isn't that good and I really wouldn't miss it if it got cancelled.

With that in mind I got to wondering of the current comics (or what seems like current if your on Marvel Unlimited) which ones are your Must Reads at this time?  No limit on the number of comics.  If you really can't wait to read them when they come out add them in.  Don't put the "it's ok; not bad but not great" series on the list.  I'm really looking for the favorites.

Here's my first stab (in no particular order):

1   Black Hammer - and any mini/event in that universe
2   Kill or Be Killed - technically this is over but fill in whatever the next Brubaker/Philips book will be
3   Justice League Dark
4   Redneck
5   Hawkeye
6   Bloodshot Salvation
7   The Fix
8   Batman (despite the epic fail of issue 50)
9   Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
10   Doctor Aphra
11   Black Bolt
12   Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey
13   Jessica Jones
14   Marvel Two in One
15   Ninja-K
16   Old Man Hawkeye
17   Thanos
18   X-O Manowar
19    East of West
20    The Flash - Flash War issues have sucked me in enough to make me think about continuing with the monthly.

A lot more than I thought I'd see.  Makes me wonder if I should just chop my monthly list to just these 20.  You would think Doomsday Clock would be on here but the slow release has killed my excitement on that book.

I will edit from time to time as things move up and down the quality list.  I doubt Black Hammer would ever drop though.  Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »

Hmmm cool idea Jeff. My damn reading is so all over the place right now that I am not sure the validity of my list would withstand scrutiny, but I think, I believe, these are the titles that I have had the most fun reading, or have had the most impact on me over the last couple months ... even though I could be 3 or 4 issue behind on some of them
 Grin Grin
Please note that I do have books that I absolutely love, that are even better than some on this list, but that I am so far behind on, even more than some of the ones I am listing, I just can't put them on the list. Books like Saga, Wicked and Divine, East of West and Black Science ... just to name a few ... are at the top of my list, for enjoyment level, but I have not read any or those in more than 6 months so I am not listing them here

Also in no order (other than publisher to make it easier on me  Cheesy) Here are my 15 (again, that I am at no more than 3 months back on ... sorry Deathstroke!) -

Dark Horse
1) Black Hammer title and minis (Totally agree with Jeff here, so nostalgic but new at the same time!!

Valiant
1) Bloodshot: Salvation
2) Ninja-K
3) XO Manowar

1) Death or Glory
2) Isola
3) Redneck
4) Weatherman (yes, that issue #2 blew me away)

DC
1) Wildstorm
2) Mister Miracle
3) Hal and the GLC
4) Red Hood and the Outlaws
5) Batman ... mostly (okay, sorry, sorry)

Marvel
1) Marvel Two In One
2) Immortal Hulk

Jesus!!! I am still not caught up on Avengers, Daredevil, Thor, Dr. Strange ... DR. STRANGE IN SPACE!!!! and so far behind on so many Image titles. I need to reevaluate my reading again darn it!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »

So it bodes the question - if you are so far behind on them, are you really enjoying them?   (Consisdering some of the titles you are behind on I know the answer is yes, but does make ya think)

DC
1) Wildstorm

Whoa!!!  I did NOT see that coming.  I don't think I ever hear you talking about it.  It's that good eh?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 06:05:32 PM »

It is, to me, I am a big fan of the Wildstorm Universe though. Plus a fan of Warren Ellis, sooooo
 Cheesy
Slow burn, like most of Ellis stuff, but I enjoy it, yeah (even though I am a few issue behind)
 Cheesy

And I also enjoy the other title they have out headed up by Ellis (though not written by him) that Michael Cray maxi that I have praised on here before.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »

Hmmm... Let's see what my memory pulls.

In absolutely no order

The Mighty Thor
Hal Jordan & GLC
Thanos
Deadpool
Hawkman

I'm getting years behind on Valiant, Image is spot purchasing, and with changed books (Super sons, Superman books), my purchasing has really gone down.

Duggan's GOTG is climbing for me. I really enjoy Strange and Iron Fist, but like Jeff said, they aren't automatic reads upon seeing them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54:27 PM »

Duggan's GOTG is climbing for me. I really enjoy Strange and Iron Fist, but like Jeff said, they aren't automatic reads upon seeing them.

I left those three off of my list for the same reason.  I still enjoy reading all three as well but I don't rush to them.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »

It is, to me, I am a big fan of the Wildstorm Universe though. Plus a fan of Warren Ellis, sooooo
 Cheesy
Slow burn, like most of Ellis stuff, but I enjoy it, yeah (even though I am a few issue behind)
 Cheesy

And I also enjoy the other title they have out headed up by Ellis (though not written by him) that Michael Cray maxi that I have praised on here before.

So I can't find this on ComiXology.  Is it not published under DC?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »

Cheesy
 Cheesy

So I can't find this on ComiXology.  Is it not published under DC?

Nevermind - found it.  There is a space between it.  The Wild Storm.

So TPB Vol 1 & 2 are on sale for $9.99 each.  That's the first 12 issues for basically $1.66 each!  That's a buy for me.  Cheap enough to try out and expensive enough to chastise Perry if they suck.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:45:24 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »

...  Cheap enough to try out and expensive enough to chastise Perry if they suck.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Bwa-Hahaha. I can't believe you fell for my trap. Yes, praising that horrible book worked, tricking people into buying that garbage. Oh how you are gonna hate it.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, a 12 issue commitment is worth a slam if you don't dig it
 Cheesy Cheesy

Just remember, it is a slow Ellis burn, which means you won't get the gist of the title until about issue 10  Cheesy Cheesy

That said, I do enjoy it, this turtle of a title, and enjoy seeing Ellis' take on the characters I use to see in bright colors now shown in a more ... non-capey ( Cheesy) way. Love the way the battle between IO and Skywatch is playing out. And dang ... I thought I was only 3 issues behind, but I looked and I am about 6!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS