HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:11:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HAWKMAN  (Read 7230 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: July 18, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »

As long as that Rebirth Hawkman is carefully swept away, I'm all in! However, I'm really curious how Kator is going to be alive, he did die in Death of Hawkman!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »

As long as that Rebirth Hawkman is carefully swept away, I'm all in! However, I'm really curious how Kator is going to be alive, he did die in Death of Hawkman!

I skipped Death of Hawkman.  Do I need to go back and get it before I start the new series?

Oh and didn't he...
come back in that Metal mini?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »

You shouldn't bother with the mini. Carter came back, not Kator as far as I remember.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »

Carter came back, not Kator as far as I remember.

Now I'm really confused!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »

Carter came back, not Kator as far as I remember.

Now I'm really confused!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ahhh, welcome to Hawkman!!
 Wink Grin

And I would not recommend Death of Hawkman to anyone. Not sure if it is important to this new story, as I haven't read issue #2 of this current series yet, but DoH was not the best book by any means, although I can't remember why  Cheesy, and I say this really liking the writer, and having only read the first and a few pages into the second issue

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »

So, I'm up through issue 7 'Origin' by I'll still SPOIL  hide it.

I...I think I'm still okay with this origin. I do think it's a bit big and over spectacular to really make Hawkman into one very special hero among so many.

I don't think it necessarily helps to bring Hawkman to a greater bigger stage.

I do think it could have been very...worrying in how they decided to mess with further origining him.

And I DO think it can gel and mesh with Geoff Johns story for 'Return of Hawkman.' While Ktar Deathbringer has been reborn through time AND space so often, I believe that the interference of the Nth metal, along with Hath-Set's curse on Khufu and Chay-ara, is what has warped Ktar's fate, to be woven specifically into Khufu's fate, and why the Hawks are now only reborn on earth. Nth Metal, and magic curses. Check! It works for me.

Until they undo my explanation with some other type of explanation next issue. Wink

Oh, and at least Kator Hol is still dead from 'Death of Hawkman.' Our Carter just went back in time for him.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »

For Jimmy -

Even though I know he knows the character as well as anyone can, and that is saying something let me tell you Grin, it is always nice to get a refresher on just how crazy Hawkman's history really was, just three short years ago. I do hope this gets updated soon, so we can all marvel at the insane backstory of this great character

Hawkman's eazy-peazy history'easy = HERE  Cheesy
(Again, from July 2016)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:26 AM »

His history is part of the charm, for me!  Wink Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »

Sooooo ...
I stopped into to the (small) LCS today, to pick up my MUCH anticipated Conan featured Back Issue mag and of course it is hitting next week, not this week (I swear I always get that wrong. All I have to do is take 4 seconds to check the Twomorrows site but NOooo-ooo). Anyway, while I was there I did a little looky-looksee to see if anything grabbed my eye of course something did. Sadly, as is my luck, it was a big two title and of course I tried to battle with myself in an effort to not even pick those up as I get them at some point, but ... I lost.

The cover of Hawkman #26 isn't all that special, sure it has skulls which are always a draw for me (goes back to my early love of Ghost Rider I think  Cheesy) but for some reason it drew me in. I scanned a couple pages and I tell ya what ... the art hit me, strong. It has a Brian Hitch/Dan Jurgens look to it that just made my eyes happy. Then I flipped to the last page and instantly I was hooked. I won't give away the last page, spoilers are easy enough to find from the preview of issue #27  Grin, but yeah ... it got me.

Anyway, so I go to place the book back on the shelf and I pause ...
"Hmmm, maybe let me see if they have the start of this arc and then maybe I will ... yeah ... let me check..."
 Grin Grin

Luckily they didn't have it. Luckier(?) Comixology did.
 Grin

But what got me, what makes me kinda mad, I have a sub to DCU. Why can't I just wait on stuff like this? I just don't get it. Why get these damn things, for that damn price, when you can wait and just get them as part of your sub, Perry?

I DON'T KNOW!!!

And you know what happened next, yeah?

Sure you do.

I started to read issue #24 and that wasn't a good place to start, not in the middle of THAT scene  Grin, so I went ahead and went a couple issues further in the preview look to see where a good start would be ...

So yeah, I gotta say, issue #18 of Hawkman is was pretty damn awesome!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy
Yep, that is how far back I went. That cover, that characters ... I had to know.

I am such an idiot impulse buyer it is crazy. It doesn't help that I still think about how much fun that Johns run was of this title. Jimmy and I both agree on that and as that is such a rarity that has to tell ya something.  Grin

So yeah, I'm an idiot, but heck, I went ahead and finally signed up for Comixolgy Unlimited. The $6 added up to close the amount it would have cost without it, so it was like getting it for a month free. Of course that also means $30 spent for a title I could have ... should have? ... waited for, but now I don't have to wait!!!

Oh and yes, check out the art to issue #22 HERE (hit the "see what's inside" link at the bottom of the cover image ... not as much of the Hitch in this preview, but ... oh so good looking!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »

I cannot lie.  That art looks really good.  I'm getting drawn in.......

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »

I have been, and continue to be, a fan of this Hawkman run. One of the few titles I always read right away when it comes up on the app. And since i'm over 15 months behind when I stopped collecting, it's like I've always got new books to read!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS