HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:32:24 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Refresher: Top 5 characters ever?  (Read 11050 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 07, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »

Okay, I know we have done this, but I have forgotten most things and this is one
 Undecided

What is everyone's top 5 comic characters of all time?

Yes, of course, this can be from any publisher and from any era, but please know I do mean characters that made their first appearance in comics. For example, one of my favorite characters is Conan. However he was in prose long before his image graced the floppy, therefor he is off this list. My Doc Savage also can't count
 Undecided

I already have a long list of great characters that I enjoy, and I am sure I know which ones I want to actually place in this top 5, but I want to make sure so I am going to take some time and figure this out. However, if you know already (I am sure Superman will be on Jimmy's list, but not sure if he knows the remaining four off the top of his head) please ... list away.

(You can put them in order if you like, but I am just curious of the top 5 in general, so don't feel pressure to list them in any order)
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »

My top 3 is easy for me.

Wolverine
Batman
Wildfire

Going to have to think on those last two.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »

Wildfire

YAY.
 Cool
"She ran calling Wildfire, WiiIIIiiildfiiiiire"  Grin
(for those old enough to remember that song)
 Grin

I think I have him in my top 10 easily enough, maybe top 5 even when all is said and done, but man, just recently re-reading some of those Legion comics from the mid-80's and ... he was written as having such a bad attitude sometimes.
I remembered the "brash guy" stuff, ya know? The "I'm not gonna stand for that" kinda guy that we all remember, but Levitz also wrote him often as just being ... well ... a major prick.
 Cheesy
Again, he is up there for me as for favorite characters, but it was a shock to my brain seeing some of those dialog boxes filled with so much "FU"
 Cheesy Cheesy
Even still, this dude was my favorite legionnaire since ... as far back as I can remember. Although someone else did win that title for a little bit ... loved me some Phantom Girl there for a few years  Grin

I certainly know and agree that Batman is my list as well. But the funny thing is, even though he is the very first character I thought of and knew he was going to be in my list, I am not sure he is my #1.
Hmmmm
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »

Superman (duh)
Spider-man
Incredible Hulk
Captain Marvel /Genis Cell
Black Panther (by Priest)

Will love to extrapolate later

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

What's this?  Wink Only when he is written by Priest? Okay, yeah, Top 5 runs? Sure, but top 5 character only when said character is written by one writer?
 Tongue
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:18 AM »

What's this?  Wink Only when he is written by Priest? Okay, yeah, Top 5 runs? Sure, but top 5 character only when said character is written by one writer?
 Tongue
 Grin

It truly just made that kind of impression on me.

Surely runs by, say, Judd Winnick on Batman makes you think twice. OR Chuck Austen on X-men.

Then again, I did interpret the question a bit differently. I would have to take out Panther based on better analysis. Hmm...

EDITED

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:45 AM »

Superman (duh)
Spider-man
Incredible Hulk
Invincible

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »

Going to quote you in reverse but I want you (and everyone) to know I was just bustin' your balls a little and meant no harassment or disrespect in my reply to you and my answer to your next is also just in the spirit of conversation ... just to verify.
 Smiley

Surely runs by, say, Judd Winnick on Batman makes you think twice. OR Chuck Austen on X-men.

I don't think they do, honestly, especially when it comes to a character(s) that have been around for so many years.

I think certain writers may make me think twice on their ability to capture what Batman means to me, something I think that you can relate to with Priest's run, but I know who/what Batman is as a character on the page, so it is not necessarily someone's alternate vision of him that takes me away from the character ... just the enjoyment of that run. In another example I didn't think any less of The Flash when Guggenheim wrote the character. Sure, I thought less of someone ... but it wasn't the Flash
 Wink
(If course I didn't think LESS of Marc either, I have just never enjoyed his writing as much as I do others is all)
 Smiley

It truly just made that kind of impression on me.

And I TOTALLY get and respect that ... I also totally agree with your assessment  Grin ... and there is nothing wrong in having Panther in your top 5 solely based on one writer. Heck, that is how many of my favorite "new'ish" characters became my favorite characters. Again, I was just raggin' on ya for pulling only one writer's stint on a character. But I also think you have to take the bad with the good and that is the reason for my jovial, though perhaps not smiley enough, jabbing
 Smiley

Anyway, it's always hard to tell when someone is mad or not in type, but I sure hope I didn't make you the former in my attempt to draw out some confo
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »

No busting of balls here, Perry. I didn't even read it as such.  Wink
No anger in any response of mine. All love here.  Kiss

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »

Yay!!!!
I worry so much about pissing people off accidently ... I mean, I have pissed people off so many time on purpose that I fear people will start to think I am doing it when I am not.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:51:46 AM »

Top 5
1.  Wolverine
2.  Batman
3.  Wildfire
4.  Flash
5.  Dick Grayson - in any identity

The more I thought, the more I kept coming back to Flash.  And it can be either Barry or Wally.

I always like Dick Grayson whether he is Robin, Nightwing, or Grayson the spy.  I almost put Brainiac 5 here or even Magneto.  Might still bump Mag’s up to this place.  Will ponder that for awhile.  Of course it seems karmatic for Brainiac 5 to be number “5”. 😉

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:58:27 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 01:54:07 AM »

Superman (duh)
Spider-man
Incredible Hulk

Interesting.  I expected a majority of DC characters on your list.  I don’t know why but I did.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:56:29 AM »

Wildfire

YAY.
 Cool
"She ran calling Wildfire, WiiIIIiiildfiiiiire"  Grin
(for those old enough to remember that song)
 Grin

I think I have him in my top 10 easily enough, maybe top 5 even when all is said and done, but man, just recently re-reading some of those Legion comics from the mid-80's and ... he was written as having such a bad attitude sometimes.
I remembered the "brash guy" stuff, ya know? The "I'm not gonna stand for that" kinda guy that we all remember, but Levitz also wrote him often as just being ... well ... a major prick.
 Cheesy
Again, he is up there for me as for favorite characters, but it was a shock to my brain seeing some of those dialog boxes filled with so much "FU"
 Cheesy Cheesy
Even still, this dude was my favorite legionnaire since ... as far back as I can remember. Although someone else did win that title for a little bit ... loved me some Phantom Girl there for a few years  Grin

I want to go back and re-read those days as well.  Like you, he was my favorite back in my childhood and I’ll always think of him as “cool”.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »

Superman (duh)
Spider-man
Incredible Hulk

Interesting.  I expected a majority of DC characters on your list.  I don’t know why but I did.

I did as well.
 Grin

Really thought Flash and one other DC character just had to be there ... and damn-it, now I can't remember the other one I was thinking, but I just knew those two would be there.
Wrong!!
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 03:34:07 AM »

As a youngin', I moved a lot, and was always a bit of the new kid at school. I was middle child, a pudgy farm kid, my last name was Tonn-like 'ton of a bricks' prononciation, and for me, I loved the Hulk. If I could just get bigger, stronger, and make others go away-shut up-leave me alone!-or simply get back at the ones that hurt me/made me angry, I'd have been the happiest camper. Smiley

Spider-man was my first comic collected in the Todd MacFarlane years. You never forget your first love. Smiley

Superman-as we've all said; duh.

Genis Vell, with the road he traveled, I felt such amazement that a prime 2 company could have a character be steered trhough so many directions and not continually be reset. I always loved Cosmic Marvel, and to see so much of that used, and be referenced in a cool Legacy way, I just loved this character. I loved that he wasn't human.

Invincible was greatly written, and it was a superhero book that didn't have to hold itself to making the status quo. Those first 25 issues were an absolute stunner of a ride, and I reread each hardcover as I bought the next one in line-up until #8 (time and lots of familiarity stopped it then, but I did reread 9 and onwards with each new HC purchase). I also have said that if, IF, I want to direct someone to try a superhero book, to see 'what all the fuss is about' it would be Invincible, particularly through the first 50 issues. Kirkman wrote and showed everything that superhero comics grew from and later became.

See! Extrapolation!

(also, I just didn't read much DC as a kid. And yes, I like Batman, always thought he was damned cool, but there's parts of me that just go 'naw, that's too much. Dude is just a man.' That's why my favorite stories are seeing him fatigued, broken, exhausted, sick, but pushing through. I HATE the 'Batman is untouchable!' Batman. That's boring as spit to me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS