HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:05:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 9, 2019  (Read 5780 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 08, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »

Starting tomorrow's list a day early.  Had plenty of comics in "the hopper" waiting to be read.   Wink

Marvel Unlimited
Astonishing X-Men 5
ADD: Champions 13 - part 2 of Avengers crossovers
Avengers 673 - part 3
Black Bolt 7
Guardians of the Galaxy 146
Iron Fist 74
Old Man Logan 30
Spider-Man 234

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 5
Bloodshot Salvation 6
Bloodshot Salvation 7
Invincible 144
Oblivion Song 1
Redneck 11
Saga 50
Secret Weapons 0
Secret Weapons:  Owen's Story 0
Sex Criminals 23
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #46
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #47
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #48
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #49
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #50
Walking Dead 177
Walking Dead 178
The Wicked + The Divine TPB Vol 5
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:49:44 AM by Jeff McReynolds » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »

Moving a little slower than usual this week.

Marvel Unlimited
Astonishing X-Men 5
Avengers 673 - part 3
Black Bolt 7

Iron Fist 74
Old Man Logan 30
Spider-Man 234

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 5
Bloodshot Salvation 6
Bloodshot Salvation 7
Invincible 144
Oblivion Song 1
Redneck 11
Saga 50
Secret Weapons 0
Sex Criminals 23
Walking Dead 177
Walking Dead 178

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »

Dave comes through again! Damn I am gonna miss him when he leaves  Sad He just put me onto a mini that I had no intention, no desire even, to try and read but he pushed and I listened. Man was he right!! But I'll get to that in a sec \
 Smiley

So far I have knocked out:

Detective Comics #973
Detective
Comics #974 - Stopped about halfway through. Just not feeling this. Ever since  ... that thing with Batwoman happened, I have been a little down on this title. I will be back, for sure, but taking some time off.

Venom #1 - Only because Donny Cates is the writer. I am not a Venom fan, but I can't just not try a Cates book. Good start so far. And that Stegman art is looking really good agin.
Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #1 - Once again, even though I go into this still mad that Marvel decided to make the planned return of Wolverine four issue mini into a 13 issue "buy more than you wanted extravaganza", I walk away happy after reading an issue of the darn thing. I am getting happier than I thought I would be at this point, for sure.
New Mutants: Dead Souls #1
New Mutants: Dead Souls #2
New Mutants: Dead Souls #3
- Now THIS!?!?! Man, this damn thing is great!!! You guys have to read this one when it hits MU. You will be happy. Yep, yep, yep.

EDIT - I am also going to give DC's Sideways another try. Not sure if I will get to it this week or not, but I hear it got much better after issue one and I do like that Rocafort art so yeah, gonna try again. Because it has only been 2 weeks since I said I was going to stop reading ancillary type books like this from the big two, so I can have more time to read/re-read/complete/discover other titles, yet here I go ...
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:18:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »

Is it the old New Mutants or a new New Mutants team?   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »

Is it the old New Mutants or a new New Mutants team?   Cheesy

Grin
It's a new, older new team  Cheesy

Illyana Rasputin/Rasputina (Magik)
Guido Carosella (Strong Guy)
Rahne Sinclair (Wolfsbane)
Julio Richter (Rictor)
Tabitha Smith (Boom-Boom)
and a special guest star or two (one I am VERY happy to see!!! Very).

I really don't know how this fits into current continuity, I think current? Maybe? But it is fun nonetheless and I will be the first to sign up if it goes to ongoing with this creative team. At least as long as it is with this writer, Rosenburg
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »

Sweet!  I like all of those characters!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 04:14:41 AM »

Getting closer.

Marvel Unlimited
Astonishing X-Men 5
Avengers 673 - part 3
Black Bolt 7
Iron Fist 74
Old Man Logan 30
Spider-Man 234

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 5
Bloodshot Salvation 6
Bloodshot Salvation 7
Invincible 144
Oblivion Song 1
Redneck 11
Saga 50
Secret Weapons 0
Sex Criminals 23

Walking Dead 177
Walking Dead 178

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »

Detective Comics #973
Detective
Comics #974

Venom #1
Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #1

Hal and the GLC #41 - Did Hal just mean what I think he meant?
Killing bad guys?
Surely not.
Justice League: No Justice #1 - Eh,
DC's Celestials are evil and they are coming. And sorry, Entropy, Wisdom, Wonder and Mystery ... these are NOT the four "Fundamental Energies of life...". First of all, Mystery and Wonder? Shouldn't they be combined? Are they really that different when you have, say, Entropy as one?
It was okay. Nothing grand.

Captain America #698
Captain America #699
Captain America #700
- Good news, a very "Captain America" arc. Bad news for me ... I am not sure I want to read that right now. Maybe I will try Coates version, but I am just not currently in a place where "America" and its glory, pride, honesty and passion are heavily in my heart. Not that THAT was what this story was purley based on, but it is hard to read about this American icon and his ideals when you are just tired of the way America is sitting right now Undecided Maybe THAT is the perfect time to read him and maybe Coates will pull me back, but stopping for right now

And Jeff reminded me about Secret Weapons 0 and Owens story so need to get to them. Did you read the 4 issue mini Secret Weapons, Jeff? Loved it. And the art was so great!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 03:12:09 PM »

And Jeff reminded me about Secret Weapons 0 and Owens story so need to get to them. Did you read the 4 issue mini Secret Weapons, Jeff? Loved it. And the art was so great!!!

But of course!  Fun series.  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »

One left....

Marvel Unlimited
Astonishing X-Men 5
Avengers 673 - part 3
Black Bolt 7
Iron Fist 74
Old Man Logan 30
Spider-Man 234

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 5
Bloodshot Salvation 6
Bloodshot Salvation 7
Invincible 144
Oblivion Song 1
Redneck 11
Saga 50
Secret Weapons 0
Sex Criminals 23

Walking Dead 177
Walking Dead 178

Kind of disappointed in Strangers in Paradise.  Seems like Moore didn't like where his story was going and decided to retcon it mid stream.  Very Bobby Ewing on Dallas like.  And very jarring.  Which is a shame because up until this the comic was a can't put down series.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »

Kind of disappointed in Strangers in Paradise.  Seems like Moore didn't like where his story was going and decided to retcon it mid stream.  Very Bobby Ewing on Dallas like.  And very jarring.  Which is a shame because up until this the comic was a can't put down series.

Hmmm, I don't remember hearing anything about that. I wonder why. Maybe sales related? I don't know and I can't remember when I stopped reading (way earlier than 50 though).

I wonder what that will do to the film now that the series has been optioned. Will they go with the earlier stuff or the latter?

Detective Comics #973
Detective
Comics #974
Hal and the GLC #41
Justice League: No Justice #1

Venom #1

Captain America #698
Captain America #699
Captain America #700

Secret Weapons #0
Secret Weapons: Owen's Story #0
- Thanks to Jeff for reminding me that I still had these to read. Good stuff. A little insight to the beginning of the Secret Weapons mini that I (and Jeff  Smiley) enjoyed from a few months ago. I kinda wished they would have called the other "Nikki's Story", just to match the title sequence and all. Still a nice little origin story for her and a peek at Owens power set and how they do actually work, even though he can't see why and we both don't know how.
I do want to know if he is just creating the objects or, like we think, if he is just pulling them from somewhere else? Or, oh man, could it even be pulling them from someone  Shocked Like a time traveler that knows what he will need before he knows so he sets them up FOR him? Okay, sure a stretch, but he not only can't control what he gets but he can't control when it happens so ... maybe?

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »

Hmmm, I don't remember hearing anything about that. I wonder why. Maybe sales related? I don't know and I can't remember when I stopped reading (way earlier than 50 though).

I wonder what that will do to the film now that the series has been optioned. Will they go with the earlier stuff or the latter.

All the stuff from the first two volumes are still intact.  Vol 3 had a lot of time jumping and the journey here was finding out how they got to that future.

I think he changed his mind on that future so he just changed things in the present so that future doesn’t happen.  There were a few future threads that were left unresolved.  Since they aren’t going to happen now I guess it doesn’t matter but that’s what was jarring.  I doubt it will have any effect on the future movie.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:25:38 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 12:17:02 AM »

Hmmm, not reading the spoiler so I am not sure how to unpack that part
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

As for my reading, I may get to one more tonight, maybe, but this is probably it for me this week -

Detective Comics #973
Detective
Comics #974
Hal and the GLC #41
Justice League: No Justice #1

Venom #1

Captain America #698
Captain America #699
Captain America #700

Secret Weapons #0
Secret Weapons: Owen's Story #0

Jessica Jones #18 - Had forgotten all about this, this last issue. Really good stuff. Will miss Bendis here.
Peter Parker Spectacular Spidey #302
Peter Parker Spectacular Spidey #303
Peter Parker Spectacular Spidey #304
- I think, getting slimmed way down, this is also getting cut from my reading.

Regression #9 - I am still so digging this horror title from Cullen Bunn. Insect cult? Crazy shit here.  Grin
Rick and Morty Presents #1 (the Vindicators) - Love watching Rick and Morty and if there is ANYONE here that has not seen the show ... give your geek card away. That comic book, sci-fi heavy show is one of the funniest damn animated shows ever, and this comic goes right in-step with the show. Great stuff here, even though the show is sooo much funnier (its the voices, man! IT'S THE VOICES!!!)  

Seriously, anyone here not seen Rick and Morty? Or seen it and not like it?
Season four just announced!!!!
YAY!!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »

I did get all mine finished last night as well - woo hoo!

Marvel Unlimited
Astonishing X-Men 5
Avengers 673 - part 3
Black Bolt 7
Iron Fist 74
Old Man Logan 30
Spider-Man 234

ComiXology
Bloodshot Salvation 5
Bloodshot Salvation 6
Bloodshot Salvation 7
Invincible 144
Oblivion Song 1
Redneck 11
Saga 50
Secret Weapons 0
Sex Criminals 23
Walking Dead 177
Walking Dead 178

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS