HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:25:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avengers Infinity War  (Read 25224 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 24, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »

So I am hearing, all over Twitter, that this movie rocks. Has blown the face off most if not all people that I "follow" that have seen it, with many more of them posting other quotes like "You will love this movie. My jaw is still on the floor! Avoid Spoilers!"

With that in mind, I am changing my usual the Tuesday or Wednesday, after the opening week-end, matinee viewing around 10 or 11, to this Friday at 8:40. Not trying to go an entire week, much less all week-end trying to avoid spoilers.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »

Saturday at 3:30 for me and the kiddo.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:41:09 AM »

Hopefully Sunday!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »

Someone took the time to take all of the trailers and clip them together in chronological order.  Gave me chills by the time I got to the end.  DEFINITELY gotta see it this weekend!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:07:02 AM »

That was pretty good...but have you seen the recent "How it should have ended" prequal for this movie...freaking funny as hell
https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-war-dead-pool-short/

oh yea...really looking forward to this but not sure when i'll get to see it...pretty confident i can avoid spoilers as i just saw Black Panther for the 1st time on Tuesday, having never been spoiled and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »

...pretty confident i can avoid spoilers as i just saw Black Panther for the 1st time on Tuesday, having never been spoiled ...

Good job. Smiley

Sadly I have yet to see Panther and like you, so far, I was also able (lucky enough  Cheesy) to avoid all things spoiler related. But now that I am going to see Infinity today, I know there will be spoilers ALL OVER this movie  Sad But I just couldn't make it to the theater the night we were suppose to go see it. I really wanted to see it, but never made it out to do so. I guess the end credits will not be a surprise when I see them now.
 Cheesy

Still, here's hoping that the spoilers today will be light.
 Cheesy

3 more hours!!!!
 Smiley

EDIT - I did take a peek at Rotten Tomatoes to see the updated "score" and this movie has now dropped to 86% fresh rating.
 Undecided
That is a 10% drop from the last time I checked ... hope most of those votes that made that puppy drop are from the "expert" critics and not fans. I mean, 86% is still a great score, but I was hearing a lot higher at first and now I am questioning some of the posts that I had seen. Which is good I suppose, keep those expectations tamped down.
 Grin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:44:36 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »

Okay, I have only 5 minutes so I am gonna be quick and just quote the wife, who is ... okay with the Marvel movies, but I wouldn't call her "a fan".

While the credits were rolling and we were waiting on this "huge" after credit scene  Roll Eyes, I asked her
"So, what'da think?"
Her reply actually surprised me
"Oh it was wonderful"
She said this with an hoest smile on her face. She really liked it.

As did I

Great movie, talk more later

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

Okay, some more IW talk ...

This, for me, even though it is a two parter, ranks up there with Captain America: Civil War as far as greatness goes. Honestly, right now it is even higher, but I am suspecting that is being "high on after buzz" and the feeling will fade and Cap will once again rule as my number one ... but not yet ... yeah ... actually, right now, this is my favorite.

Again ... you will absolutely be blown away by this movie (and hopefully the new Deadpool trailer which was awesome!!)

But hey ... I do want to say something, or a couple things, that are spoilers so STAY AWAY UNTIL YOU SEE THE MOVIE (even though one is not really a spoiler ... STAY AWAY)
 Smiley
I am only touching two or three of the things that I loved and didn't like, but nothing major. Just little things that hit me. And don't let the bad things be the thing you take away. This movie is almost perfection in everyway, but just a couple minor things I loved. Again, stay away until you see the movie!!!!

First the personal minor good -
I love, love, love the way this movie shows how strong two of my favorite characters actually are. One was Thor, but I guess we all knew that one. But the way they showed how powerful Dr. Strange can be, after not showing it in his own movie, was a sight of pure pleasure. Yes, Strange is powerful as hell!!! And this movie showed it. FINALLY

Second, the personal minor bad -
Sadly, they overpowered Tony in my opinion. I don't mind him being the "tech" genius, but damn it, he is not War Machine. He had so many gadgets of battle this time it wasn't funny. Iron Man should be somewhat limited people. Not the end all be all of tech. He shouldn't have EVERYTHING on his armor. Okay, not hating, just saying.

Third, the actual minor bad  Undecided -
In the scene when Panther, Cap and ... I forget, are talking to Cull Obsidian and Proxima Midnight at the energy shield and then, seconds later we see them almost a mile back from the edge of the energy shield starting the command to attack? How did they get all the way back to that point when they were JUST at the damn edge of the shield? "OH EDITING!"

Fourth, my favorite resolution -
While Tony and Peter are on the spacecraft and Ebony Maw is taunting Tony about how much more powerful he is than Tony and Tony replies with something along the line of "yeah, but you don't have a teenager that watches movies" and uses the Alien 4 'suck you through a hole' strategy of ending the fight  Cheesy Cheesy So cool! (but there are sooooo many more cool moves and scenes in this movie!!

Honestly, as much as I love Captain America Civil War, this movie may well be the only movie since ... Empire Strikes Back ... yeah ... that I want to go back to the theater and see again ... at least two more times. That is how good this movie is.
 Cool

86% on Rotten Tomatoes? BAH

99% for me!!!!

EDIT - Oh yeah, I was pretty worried going in about Black Panther spoilers, haven not seen Panther yet, but other than not knowing the film versions of the characters and one brief conversation that I suspect is a pretty important Panther scene, there was no drop off of enjoyment at all. I had no issues and neither should anyone of you that has yet to see Panther (Am I the only one in America?  Cheesy)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:00:54 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 05:48:25 PM »

In theater right now.

Front row.   Undecided

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »

In theater right now.

Front row.   Undecided

It's okay buddy, the Hulk will just look more ... HULK'ish
 Smiley

EDIT - I just realized I have been telling everyone, including Jeff now, that I think this movie beats out my previous favorite Cap movie, Civil War, but holy hell, I mean my favorite Cap movie Winter Soldier. Not sure how I kept thinking the Hydra one was Civil War. I am an idiot!!!
I put this ahead of, as of right now, Captain America: Winter Soldier

Well, Put it ahead of Civil War also, but that is not what I meant.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:42:16 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 12:15:45 AM »

EDIT - Oh yeah, I was pretty worried going in about Black Panther spoilers, haven not seen Panther yet, but other than not knowing the film versions of the characters and one brief conversation that I suspect is a pretty important Panther scene, there was no drop off of enjoyment at all. I had no issues and neither should anyone of you that has yet to see Panther (Am I the only one in America?  Cheesy)

Yes you are.

Even though I agree that you don’t need to see Black Panther to enjoy this movie, your enjoyment will be greatly enhanced if you see it first.

But Perry is right.  It’s a great movie.  I’m not sure where I’d rank it yet.  To date my favorite has been Winter Soldier.  This movie is definitely going to be in the top tier.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 03:36:12 AM »

that was EPIC.  it could have been two hours longer and i would have been just fine with that.

i"ll get into details tomorrow.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »

Not this weekend for me. we Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »

I'm with Perry on this one (and i still can't believe he saw a movie in the theaters on opening weekend before I did) in stating that this may be my new favorite Marvel flick behind TWS and CW.  This was epicness on an epic scale and even though the run time was 2 hr 40 min., it felt like it went by very quickly and another hour or two would have been just fine with me.

Let's get into it, shall we?

the movie starts off going 0-120 in like 3 seconds.  Is Loki really dead?  I loved how Thor came across the GOTG and Starlord's reaction to him.  Drax is always awesome.  I'm not sure what the significance of Rocket giving Thor the new eyeball is unless it was just to keep Thor from sporting an eyepatch all movie.

We finally get to see Dr.Strange cut loose and it was phenomenal.  The interaction between Stark, Strange and Banner was great.  

I loved it when Cap showed up.  Although my daughter said it took her about 30 minutes to figure out who he was.
 (I swear she's my child, really)

We finally get to find out what happened to the Red Skull.  That was unexpected but totally worth it and I'm glad they kept it under wraps.  I read where Ross Marquand of Walking Dead fame played the Skull and I honestly thought it was Hugo Weaving.  I hope this opens him up to returning in a future Cap film.  

Loved Banner in the Hulkbuster suit but kept expecting Hulk to bust out of it.  I'm curious to see where that is heading.

The crowd actually applauded when Thor showed up with Stormbreaker.  (and BTW, how great was Dinklage's role)

I was totally expecting Iron Man and Cap to disappear or be outright killed off.  Totally didn't expect some of those characters to start dissipating. It was like they took all the phase 3 characters and wiped them out.  Spidey, Doc Strange, Black Panther, yep, didn't see that coming.

I'm pretty sure Strange knew what he was doing by giving Thanos the stone.  He did tell Tony that out of 14 million some odd timelines, they only beat him in one and the never said how.

All of the fight scenes were fantastic and I plan on going to see it a few more times.

Now for my few dislikes,
Why didn't Stark just try cutting Thanos' arm off on Titan instead of just pulling the glove off?

I'm not a big fan of the MCU Spidey (and I still don't like the Iron Spider suit.).  He just seems to depend on Stark too much.

Why didn't Strange tell them how Thanos was beaten in the one timeline and WHY DIDN'T TONY ASK HIM?!?!?!

During the end credits scene, I was so hoping that a big encircled "4" was going to show up on Fury's pager or whatever that was.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:25:35 PM by jedicow » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »

Why didn't Strange tell them how Thanos was beaten in the one timeline and WHY DIDN'T TONY ASK HIM?!?!?!

During the end credits scene, I was so hoping that a big encircled "4" was going to show up on Fury's pager or whatever that was.

I think that is one of those "ya have to let go" moment because "comics". I mean, if he told him then there would be no need for A4, right?  Cheesy Besides, then we wouldn't have people complaining about Strange giving up the Time Gem ...*ahem* Time Stone not realizing the reason he gave it up was he obviously saw the one way to defeat Thanos was doing just that. Which hey, maybe there was an alternate timeline where Strange DID tell Tony and that was one of the ones that was unsuccessful, so he chose not to this time?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy (Okay, no, but hey ...)

And don't get me started on the end credits. BULLLLLL SHIIIIT

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS