HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:48:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Slow artists  (Read 8098 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 10, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »

So, I am reading THIS and in it they talk about when Perez was at Marvel, in the early days, he was cranking out three and a half books a month: Avengers, FF, Sons of the Tiger (for the Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu Magazine) and the bi-monthly (every two months) Inhumans.

Now think about that. If George "LOOK AT ALL THIS BACKGROUND!!" Perez could do three plus books a month (yes for a limited time, in all fairness) how are there ever any late books due to artists?

Okay, I am making a joke with that, I do understand how most artist work as fast as they can already, but can you image getting three books a month from any artist now?

Yes I know Kirby use to trounce that piddling amount, three books were nothing to the uber speed and talent of the King, but that is just one of the reasons why he was/is considered the King, but for a great storyteller like Perez, to include massive amounts of elaborate background, whether that be machine parts in Tony's den, a huge master computer in a villains hideaway, tons of destroyed buildings at our hero's feet or millions of air bubbles in a water scene, to knock out three books a month ... and the artists of today, even with all their special drawing tablets and gizmos, can't get close to that output? It is just crazy to me. That is how good this Perez guy was.

Again, I am not knocking the artists of today ... okay, I know it sounds like I am, but the intent is to just compare how amazing a guy like Perez was to these "slackers" of today
 Cheesy Cheesy
Kidding, kidding
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »

Damn Millennials.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »

Damn Millennials.

See? This guy gets it!!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »

Damn Millennials.

See? This guy gets it!!!
Smiley

Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »

i agree that the new guard does not seem to be able to push out the pages like the old guys could.

There are still a few artist out there that can do more than 1 but the number is dwindling. 

it seems a lot of newer artist dont want to share and want to pencil, ink, color and letter which obviously takes it toll (see Image).

The saddest thing for me is there are plenty of artist out there that can crank out good work, they just arent getting the work

where are guys like Ron Lim, sean chen,  Mike McKone, Jim Calafiore, james Fry III and dozens more who cant get in the big 2 anymore.

I know not everyone likes his current style by JRjr could always crank out books without missing dealines...i just wish his panel to panel art could match his covers...like the variant for Nightwing 44...just beautiful

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »

Give me the older J.R.Jr style, the one similar to his dad's, any day of the week. And he was still pushing book after book back then. Back when he wasn't so blocky.
Although that is pretty
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS