HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:39:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel doing it again!!!  (Read 7915 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »

"Fresh New Start"

Again

Man, all I can say is Marvel really poo'd the scrooch letting Axel stay on as long as they did. No reason why Secret Wars ... what, 3 years and 3 "fresh new starts" ago ... should not have been THE "rebirth" of Marvel.

True DC screwed up with 52, yes, not the glamourous restart there either, so they are not really innocent or without stain, but they seem to have (even though the screw ups) their act so much more together than Marvel.

I just hope that this "new start", "new creative teams", new beginnings stuff doesn't screw up the books I have been really enjoying lately. The ones I JUST FREAKIN' GOT THROUGH PRAISING ... YESTERDAY IN FACT!!!!
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »

Well that didn't take long. Pissed in my Corn Flakes already. Hopefully not in every bowl. In which I mean hopefully Donny Cates will still be writing at least Dr. Strange when he takes on writing duties of ... *sigh* ... Venom. Okay, I shouldn't be THAT down on it, I do like Cates and Venom IS a character he should do well with, but ... but ... I just have no desire to read Venom. Maybe Marvel knew that and, well, put Cates on Venom
~Please, please, please, please still be on Dr. Strange. Please, please, please, please

And then I see the news that McGuiness is the artist joining Jason Aaron on the (only) Avengers title. Yes, I am happy that there is only ONE damn Avengers title, but in all the writer/artist combinations I could have foreseen, THIS is not one I am overly fond of. I am not saying it cant' work, But the styles are just so different here. I like a little darker artist for Aaron, no matter the theme or style. Kinda bummed about this one, but will, of course, give it a shot.

Man, not off to the start I wanted
(but maybe it will surprise me?  Undecided)

*He says putting his head down on his desk ever so softly*

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:30:36 PM »

plus they are tossing out the legacy numbering again for more new shiny #1 that mean squat.  I want my old numbering to last more than 6-8 months...what a waste.  they really dont seem to learn from mistakes.  oh well.
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »

guess they are going to try to do a duel numbering.  i am fine with that to signify new storylines, crossovers or good jumping on points but feel the big#s are important for overal continuity as well as future back-issue hunting as findign a specific book over the past 10 years of new #1s makes it almost impossible.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »

Amen.

I am not one that cares about the numbering, but I TOTALLY get why people that do care, care. And really, it should be a continual numbering system if it is a continual story product, especially one with numbers involved.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »

They should just revamp the whole line similar to what DC did with Rebirth if they are going to do it.  It's a Fresh Start without Axel so just go big and be done with it.

Plus:  Only one Avengers book.  This is a very good decision.  And I'd like to see what Aaron does with this team although I wasn't a big fan of his X-Men School.  Still - he's the best writer they have and one of my favorites.  Speaking of X-Men - they should drop that to one main title as well involving the school and team.  A second, not in school, book of X-Force would be good too as long as the two are separate like they used to be when Cable ran the group in beginning.  Hopefully the Fantastic Four will be back.

Con:  Reboots are confusing and Secret Wars was the absolute BEST scenario for getting it done.  Will be hard to fresh start us without us rolling our eyes.

If they really want to get things moving again - my opinion would be to take politics back out of the stories.  That doesn't mean taking out the occasional government bad guy.  But stop alienating half the potential audience by putting your political opinion in the comic.  There is so much of the vitriol in real life that people want to go where they don't have to hear it.  That place could and should be our comics.  Good vs Evil is an easy sell but if you keep saying my neighbor is a bad guy because his opinion is different then it creates sides - and kills sales.  Just my opinion of course.   Wink

Wow - that took a weird turn.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »

This is undeniably not a surprise. You would think the company would recognize how obnoxious is to retitle everything with number ones again. That just seems like poor practice after everything. Jeff probably has it right where they should just go new number ones on every single book and be done with it. But maybe they'll learn things will be better going forward. All I know is that I want to see Heroes again fighting bad guys without all this other junk that's been going on the last 8 years.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »

All I know is that I want to see Heroes again fighting bad guys without all this other junk that's been going on the last 8 years.

Amen!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »

This is just turning into a game of "how confusing can we make the continuity" by Marvel.  Atrocious.  Like it wasn't confusing enough with the constant #1's, now we have a bunch of new volumes, followed by renumbering, followed by new volumes yet again.  Give me a break.  I loved the idea that Avengers would hit #700.  Of course their numbering was off, because they were counting things that weren't titled as such, and so on.  Yuck. Come on, Marvel.  Do your longtime fans a solid, here...
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 02:06:16 AM »

All I know is that I want to see Heroes again fighting bad guys without all this other junk that's been going on the last 8 years.

Amen!!

Well that is all I am seeing in the Marvel I am reading right now. And that has been the case since Legacy began, at least. Can't wait for you guys to get here.
 Grin

Amazing = check, fighting bad guy
Avengers = check and double check  Wink
Cap = check
Dr. Strange = well, check and ... well ... nevermind (so good)
Iron Fist = check
M2in1 = not really, but ... this is a weird one.
Moon Knight = check and reality check  Grin
Peter Parker = yeppers
Thanos = haha, not saying
Thor = check. MY GOD, CHECK!!!!!
Astonishing X = Oh yeah
Old Man Logan = eh, check'ish
Tales of Suspense = different, but yeah, check

Yep, all good in this universe for that at least.

The numbering? Oh that is still a cluster  Grin, but yeah, certainly bad guy fighting.
 Smiley

And Jimmy, isn't DC doing nothing but "hero on hero" fighting now?  Grin Cheesy
All of Detective is in-fighting
Damian and Jon have been at each others throats
The Teen Titans and Titans have been in-fighting for months
The Suicide Squad and JLA just had a big fight
Flash and Kid Flash are going at it, from what I hear
The Lanterns just got over something

Seems like DC has the same issue Marvel had
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Just kidding. Smiley
I know what you mean, and that little dust up that DC has been doing for a couple of months is NOTHING compared to what Axel allowed to have happen at Marvel. Man don't I know it. It is good to see Marvel back to being against bad guys again after, like you stated, years of not doing it (for the most part)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS