HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:46:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER  (Read 4509 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 16, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »

Going Saturday at 1 p.m.! Can't wait to see it!

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »

it was really good.  2 post credit scenes!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:17:31 PM »

I really liked it.

Much more than a 'Marvel' movie, and much more than a super-hero movie.

T'challa is a King. He is responsible for much more than fighting evil doers. He must try to be far more than just a man, and I think this movie did really good in doing that for him.

Made me wish for a real Wakanda is what it did! For that kind of honor, sense of duty, and faith in the home and hearth.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »

Excellent movie.  I enjoyed it and my daughter said it was "AWESOME!".  She came home - did up her hair in multiple pony tails, face painted, and then put on a concert about Black Panther for me and the wife.  Goof ball.

It had it's "preachy" moments that I hate from Hollywood movies but at least they were subtle and not heavy handed.

Some of the black fans at my theater came dressed up in African ceremonial garb.  They were having so much fun.  I loved watching them having a blast just as much as watching the film itself.  Really added to the experience and made it that much more fun for us.

My daughter's favorite line was
from T'Challa's sister when they brought the CIA agent in for medical treatment. 
"I see you brought me another white boy to fix."   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Worthy of the Marvel moniker.

My only disappointment was...
how easily Killmonger killed Klaw.  He should have been around a lot longer.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:09:39 AM »

So when I first heard they were making a Black Panther movie, I honestly was expecting it to be just okay.  After seeing the initial reactions and reviews, I was expecting a Marvel masterpiece.  After seeing it last night, I must say for me it was somewhere in between.  I thought the movie, in and of itself, was really good and enjoyed it.  For me, it just didn't have those little moments.  I dunno.... anyway...

But beyond the movie itself, I certainly can appreciate what it means.  I was struck by the comments of fans who expressed the joy of seeing a superhero that they can say "looks like me."  As a white male, it is something I've really never had to experience much.  And as I initially thought, "Hey, what about Falcon and War Machine?" I came to realize that despite the fact that they are terrific characters themselves (MCU Falcon is one of my favorites), they are still sidekicks to white heroes and often part of a pair on the latter end of the "and."  War Machine's armor was build by Tony.  Sam would still be working at the community center if not for Cap bringing him into the fold.  They are the Black Best Friend often used misused in movies to make their white friend look more enlightened and inclusive.

T'Challa is a hero and a king.  He is a dutiful son, brother, and ruler of his people, and I found myself struck by the humanity of the character, especially as wonderfully portrayed by Boseman.  He needs neither the approval nor the assistance of American heroes.  He is that rare hero that, if you get on the wrong end of a confrontation with him, will use one hand to beat the crap outta you and then extend that same hand to help you up off the ground.

I guess my only significant disagreement with most people is concerning the villain. 
Most of the comments regarding him from people who have seen the movie is about how sympathetic a character he is and how complex and tragic he is.  The movie itself goes out of it's way to create sympathy for him (T'Challa feeling guilty for his father "creating" him, Ross going on about how our military training affects his decisions, etc.).  No, I didn't buy it.  I feel bad for the innocent little guy that he was, but Killmonger is not Magneto or Victor Fries.  He's just a well-trained punk who saw his chance to be a despot and took it.  He's not looking to free his people; he's looking for conquest.  Thus, as T'Challa wisely points out, he becomes the very thing he claims to fight.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »

Finally saw this.

It was ... okay.

I am glad it hit for so many people but I found it not so spectacular with lots of problems.

Even though I am late as hell, I will still put up the spoiler wall.

For one ... this hyper scientific society couldn't figure out water currents enough to at least go looking for their king?  Shocked Hell fell 50 feet and you just shrug and give up?
Also, so T'Challa will have his sister drive him all through the city for 15 minutes, endangering countless civilians trying to catch Klaw, but then when Klaw escapes they don't even bother chasing him?  Roll Eyes
The most egregious aspect of this movie though, to me, was that you could tell, you knew, every. single. next. step. There was nothing (other than the second guy in the room at the beginning ALSO being from Wakanda), that you couldn't see coming with this movie. It was a true pain by numbers action movie. You could have shown me the first five minutes and I could have told you the rest of the movie ... other than them not looking for their king and not chasing Klaw again, of course  Tongue

Best part - I liked the James Bond feel to T'Challa and Shuri's gadget room exploration.
Best character - Michonne (I can't remember her name in Panther) Enjoyed her more than anyone here.
Worst character - Maybe Klaw? Too jovial, I think? No ... the guy that played Michonnes "lover". What, you gonna kill her? She damn sure gonna kill you. No? You are not? than why risk her life making a huge battle happen that you know she will be involved in? BAH.

Not sure where it would rank yet, but not at the top and in-fact, closer to the bottom.  Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS