HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:48:39 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 14, 2018 - Happy Valentines Day!  (Read 5675 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »

Slowly moving through my lists.....

ComiXology
Titans 14
Titans 15
Titans 16
Titans 17
Copperhead 17
Dark Nights: Metal 5
Dark Nights Rising:  Wild Hunt 1
Deathstroke Annual 1
Deathstroke 28
Detective Comics Annual 1
Detective Comics 974
The Fix 10
Invincible 143
Kingsman: The Red Diamond 1
Kingsman: The Red Diamond 2
Kingsman: The Red Diamond 3
Kingsman: The Red Diamond 4
Kingsman: The Red Diamond 5
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #1
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #2
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #3
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #4
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #5
Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #6
Thief of Thieves TPB Vol 3

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Empire:  Brave New World 4
Champions 11
Secret Warriors 5
Secret Empire 8
Royals 5
All-New Guardians of the Galaxy 6
All-New Guardians of the Galaxy 7
Thanos 9
Infamous Iron-Man 10
Spider-Man 19
Iron Fist 6
Black Bolt 4

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »

Got a jump on this week.  Hoping to accomplish this list this time.   Grin

ComiXology
Titans 14
Titans 15
Titans 16
Titans 17
Copperhead 17

Deathstroke Annual 1
Deathstroke 28
Detective Comics 974
The Fix 10
Invincible 143

Marvel Unlimited
Champions 11
Secret Warriors 5
Secret Empire 8
Royals 5
Thanos 9
Infamous Iron-Man 10
Spider-Man 19
Iron Fist 6
Black Bolt 4

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »

Hit the shop early.  Again, I will eventually get around to discussing these puppies -

Action Comics #997
Dark Knights Rising Wild Hunt #1 - WTF??? Need to re-read this one. Totally lost on Morrisons "music" stuff again.
Detective Comics #974 - Loved this art. Parts looked like switching between Neal Adams and John Byrne. Really cool!!!!
Hal Jordan & the GLC #38
New Superman and Justice League of China #20 - art has officially killed this for me  Angry
Red Hood and the Outlaws #19 - Man, I fear bad things on the horizon
Sideways #1 - Loved the Rocafort art, but the story ... or the dialog I should say ... less so.
Titans #20 - This was, ya know, almost like an old New Teen Titans issue. Really enjoyed the pacing

Marvel Two in One #3 - Yep, still digging this book. Hercules was awesome. Hahaha
Avengers #680 - Ugh, "no background" artists just need to stop being hired. If you can't draw a complete book, complete with backgrounds that consists of more than just colored panels or the occasional boulder/wall edge, stop doing comics and come back when you can. Pick up the speed or find another career. I get the occasional no background panel, but when you have a 20 page comic, say, with an average of 5 panels per page, and you give me a total of one or two panels that has actual background in it ...out of the 100 or so that you "drew" ... there is a problem.
 Angry Angry
Go look at Detective #974 and compare with Avengers #680. Not that there is a comparison
 Smiley

Now I said I would come back to talk, but I guess I was inspired.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »

New Superman and Justice League of China #20 - art has officially killed this for me  Angry

Yeah, I didn't even pick it up.  Had to cut somewhere and this one was chopped.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »

Finished the first trade of Black Magick.

Holy s#!t what a final page! Damn, things seem deep!

Also, Nicola Scott puts SO many artists to shame. Damn, I don't know if I feel inspired by her to draw more than I do, or ashamed that what I try is so pale before her that I should put my pencil right back down.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 04:08:31 AM »

Through the last 2 weeks on Unlimited:

Iron Fist 6 - Shang Chi is a cool dude. Only as a support character though. And he's a better martial artist than Fist, right? That guy is 6 shades of cool in the shade.

Generations Hulk, and Phoenix: what's the point of these? Holy crap, what junk. What's the damned point? At this point in the publishing circuit, if I was buying through LCS, I'd be wondering, what the hell is going on? Hell, even now, I don't know what the hell is going on! Believe I'm skipping more of these as they come out on MU.

Old Man Logan 27- heh. Brisson is cool for having OML wasting red neck Hulk-billies. Kind of love the insane silliness of it.

Defenders 4 - Holy crap, I love the Fraction Iron Fist run, but I'm not sure if Fist ever looked as major BAMF as he did with taking down a dumb brawler like Diamondback in the manner that was illustrated. Too. Damned. AWESOME!!

Amazing Spider-man 31- Even this Peter Parker doesn't deserve to be Spider-man. I hate who this character (Peter) is so damned much these days. Dan Slott, I hate you for that. I truly do.

Black Panther v5 1-16. I came around! I became a fan of Coates on Black Panther. I think this deserves a thread, but I'm glad I gave it all a second try.

Also, I read Hudlin's first 14 issues (garbage), skipped to issue 35 (a bit better, to be honest, but still a bit drecky), and then the book was soured with Secret Invansion, Civil War II, and then the title went to DoomWar which was  FUKKN TRAINWRECK OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!! Then, T'challa moved to HElls' kitchen for a while as he became 'Man without Fear' and 'Deadliest man alive' or something. That was all awful, I felt. Then, it became Ta-nehisi Coates.

SEcret Empire 6-8; going to the thread about this!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »

After watching the movie IT (my favorite book ever) this past Thursday, for the third time ... first time with the wife  Wink, I have found I'm really been in a horror mood, so I started back reading horror books again (currently on Dan Simmons "Summer of Night") which has been fun, but kinda time consuming. So not much here so far, but my current mood did put the drive in me to start catching up on the one horror comic I have been putting off, so I think IT for that Cheesy -

Nightwing #38 - Good, but sadly only two or three more issues before I am off once again.
Deathstroke #28 - The sting from the last annual still present, I enjoyed this as much as I could.  Grin

Kill or Be Killed #16 - Damn, I love an ending that makes me want to punch a fictional character in their fictional face Cheesy
Regression #1
Regression #2
Regression #3
Regression #4 - Good, creepy, gross, intriguing. Yep. I am hooked!!!

Also started Back Issue #102, one of only two magazines I buy (the other being Heavy Metal). As this months topic is "anti-heroes", I jumped right to the Taskmaster article, but was sidetracked ever so briefly by some George Perez art of Deathstroke the Terminator. THat was nice to stare at for a few minutes because, man, that reminded me of what used to be my favorite part about the lack of comics information I had access to back then, finding out, only after opening the issue, that good ole Perez was doing the art in the comic I just picked up. Surprise!!
 Smiley

EDIT - And Jimmy, not sure if you are a fan or not, if you have ever read the issues or not, nor do I know if if MU has the issues (as I know there is some copyright issues) but I know (Or damn, I think I remember) you are a fan of Zecks Master of Kung Fu run (amazing stuff) but if you ever come across them, take a few minutes and skim through Master of Kung-Fu issues  #102 to ... whenever and check out Gene Days stuff. Shang-Chi never looked cooler or more deserving of "Main character"
 Grin

EDIT 2 - In fact, I remember thinking some years ago that MoKF issues 100 through 120 (? ... or whenever that double sized issue was that ended the arc) was about the best comics I had read to that point. It was like 20 pages, one arc, the best story telling ever. And that was coming off some very cool Mike Zeck stuff.
Damn it, I may have to see if I can get those HC's of that series now. Ya know, because I am trying to get rid of my bookshelf stuff.
 Grin Grin Grin

EDIT 3 - What do you think? Do I need Volume 2 as well (I don't remember the stories in that one too much) or do you think I can just get by with THIS and THIS (volumes 3 and 4)?

I mean, sure, I would want them all, but for now, for what I am looking for ... I think the final two volumes may be fine. Although it would be nice to get that second volume too.

I do like/prefer THESE covers though.
Maybe ... maybe ...
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:40:34 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »

I will go and try and find that, Perry. Since I finished a huge Black Panther reread, I was thinking of reading X-Force all the way up through all the Cable volumes,... But that seems like a lot of really bad comics to read so I don't want to do that. Following Shang Chi seems like more fun.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »

Oh, by the by, I picked up the fifth volume of Letter 44 with that last sale for only 4.99. So I got it all and I can just read it over the next two weeks and have it all done in one sitting. Makes me feel a little spoiled. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 04:44:29 PM »

Oh, by the by, I picked up the fifth volume of Letter 44 with that last sale for only 4.99. So I got it all and I can just read it over the next two weeks and have it all done in one sitting. Makes me feel a little spoiled. Grin

That's the best way to read it Jimmy - can't wait to hear what you think though I'm positive I've overhyped it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 04:47:31 PM »

Gonna have to have a big push today to finish this off....

ComiXology
Titans 14
Titans 15
Titans 16
Titans 17
Copperhead 17
Deathstroke Annual 1
Deathstroke 28
Detective Comics 974
The Fix 10
Invincible 143

Marvel Unlimited
Champions 11
Secret Warriors 5
Secret Empire 8
Royals 5
Thanos 9
Infamous Iron-Man 10
Spider-Man 19
Iron Fist 6
Black Bolt 4

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »

Jeff, I've got that and God Country as my last big Image purchases to go through and finish up. But I guess I'll be starting to go and find some other stuff to read! Or reread as I've been doing a lot of that lately.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »

That's the best way to read it Jimmy - can't wait to hear what you think though I'm positive I've overhyped it.

I don't think you overhyped it as much as just enjoyed it  Grin

I need to get back to it, but I have been sidetracked so badly now I am not sure when I will be able to.
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »

Didn't get quite as far as I thought I could.  All well.  There's always next week.... Grin

ComiXology
Titans 14
Titans 15
Titans 16
Titans 17
Copperhead 17
Deathstroke Annual 1
Deathstroke 28
Detective Comics 974
The Fix 10
Invincible 143

Marvel Unlimited
Champions 11
Secret Warriors 5
Secret Empire 8
Royals 5
Thanos 9
Infamous Iron-Man 10
Spider-Man 19
Iron Fist 6
Black Bolt 4

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS