HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:25:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 17, 2018  (Read 5771 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 17, 2018, 03:45:46 PM »

Gonna try to finish off my list from last week with just a couple of additions.....

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Empire:  Brave New World 2
Secret Empire:  Underground 1
U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5
Secret Empire: Brave New World 3

Darth Vader 2
Darth Vader 3
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Star Wars: Droids Unplugged 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 8
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 9
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38
Deadman 3
Deathstroke 27
Detective Comics 972
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 36
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Red Hood & The Outlaws 18
Superman 38

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »

Super Sons #12
Wonder Woman #38
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:26:41 AM »

I think I'm buying my stuff next week as I come and go from the hospital, but I'm making my way through Priest's Black Panther again, as the movie is coming up, the look and feel is based on his work, while also borrowing from characters developed by Hudlin....which I now intend to try and read, even if it did neuter most of Priest's best work on the character, and visually made Panther's suit look like that stupid lined glove and boots look from the 60s.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »

I think I'm buying my stuff next week as I come and go from the hospital, but I'm making my way through Priest's Black Panther again ...

YAY!! Good stuff that I also need to re-read at somepoint

... while also borrowing from characters developed by Hudlin....which I now intend to try and read ...

BOO!! Bad stuff that I wouldn't try to re-read if held at gunpoint

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

Thus far -

Astonishing X-Men #7 - Still the best X book out there or at least the best 'team' X-Book out there. This was a sad issue for me as they have now shelved a character that I really like. His return is inevitable of course, and not in the 'he was dead and now he is not' way either ... well ... kinda
 Grin
I'm curious as to how the events of this title will soon resonate down to the others as a very important and, to me, very interesting thing happened here that is-
A) The cause of my sadness
B) A first. Not that IT happened, it has happened before, but I can't recall THIS particular version of it happening.
Plus it had a cool ending
 Grin
* -  Spoiler at the very end of this for those that can't wait ... or I should just say ... JEFF!!!  Cheesy Wink

Detective Comics #969 - An okay issue, but I love the group of "villains" that is around the corner.
Hal Jordan & ... #33
Hal Jordan & ... #34
Hal Jordan & ... #35
Hal Jordan & ... #36
- Interesting, and happy as punch about that ending
Seeing the Darkstar stuff
but man this arc could have been told in two issues.
New Super-Man #19 - The end of this issue is the beginning of the new title. Hope it gets pumping again
Damage #1 - Okay, this one is hard for me. I was looking forward to this and I may have done what I always tend to do, get over excited about the potential and then get mad when I am hit with the reality. This is NOT a good book. Disjointed as hell and as much as I truly tried, I could not keep from thinking about what I will see the "Hulk" do on the next page. Even with the slight (or great) differences between the two characters, DC finally has its Hulk (boy do they), but somehow they have made their Hulk even less interesting to me. Gonna give it one more issue, only because I get to read it for free at the LCS  Undecided, but I don't think I will ever be able to separate this guy from the original, like I can with the countless other Big Two copies/rip offs/homages
 Embarrassed

* - As for Astonishing X-Men (spoilers for the entire first arc, so take care ...) -
Professor Xavier and his X-Men had been fighting the Shadow King, who had begun to take control over our plane of existence by using various peeps  Grin, including some X-Men who had fallen under the influence of his powers in the Shadow Kings attempt to enter or realm/conquer us. To defeat the Shadow King, escape his grasp and the Astral Plane Realm in which he was trapped, Xavier switched bodies with Fantomex, leaving Fantomex in the other plane. Now, Fantomex is controlling that particular realm, having fun with it, while the Professor is here, on Earth, in Fantomex's body. So not only has Xavier returned, he is a much younger man, at least in appearance as I am not sure how old Fantomex's body actually is in truth. But yeah, Prof is looking tight!
Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »

Damage #1 - Okay, this one is hard for me. I was looking forward to this and I may have done what I always tend to do, get over excited about the potential and then get mad when I am hit with the reality. This is NOT a good book. Disjointed as hell and as much as I truly tried, I could not keep from thinking about what I will see the "Hulk" do on the next page. Even with the slight (or great) differences between the two characters, DC finally has its Hulk (boy do they), but somehow they have made their Hulk even less interesting to me. Gonna give it one more issue, only because I get to read it for free at the LCS  Undecided, but I don't think I will ever be able to separate this guy from the original, like I can with the countless other Big Two copies/rip offs/homages
 Embarrassed

Good to know.  I will skip this for now then and wait to see if it finds it's footing.

* - As for Astonishing X-Men (spoilers for the entire first arc, so take care ...) -
Professor Xavier and his X-Men had been fighting the Shadow King, who had begun to take control over our plane of existence by using various peeps  Grin, including some X-Men who had fallen under the influence of his powers in the Shadow Kings attempt to enter or realm/conquer us. To defeat the Shadow King, escape his grasp and the Astral Plane Realm in which he was trapped, Xavier switched bodies with Fantomex, leaving Fantomex in the other plane. Now, Fantomex is controlling that particular realm, having fun with it, while the Professor is here, on Earth, in Fantomex's body. So not only has Xavier returned, he is a much younger man, at least in appearance as I am not sure how old Fantomex's body actually is in truth. But yeah, Prof is looking tight!
Cheesy Cheesy

I will avoid this spoiler.  Ironically, when putting the quote into this post the entire spoiler is visible!  Cheesy
I still managed to not look at it.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »

I will avoid this spoiler.  Ironically, when putting the quote into this post the entire spoiler is visible!  Cheesy
I still managed to not look at it.   Grin

I know!!! I have always found that funny. It is even in replies of replies when quoting, so be careful
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »

Yep - moving slow again this week. But hoping to make more progress this weekend as I have NO PLANS for a change!  Other than playoff football, of course.

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Empire:  Brave New World 2
Secret Empire:  Underground 1

U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5

Darth Vader 2
Darth Vader 3
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38 - A little predictable but I felt like it was heading the title back on the right track.  I've got issue 39 for my list for next week so keeping my fingers crossed that this trends back into my good graces.   Grin
Deadman 3 - I liked this issue better than the first two.  A whole new layer to Deadman's family origin.  Me likey.
Deathstroke 27
Detective Comics 972
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Superman 38

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:35:31 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »

Knocked out some more Marvel. Two of which are the best comics they are making on that side of the street and quite possibly the best out there, period.

Doctor Strange #384 - ABSOLUTELY, RIDICULOUSLY, GOOD COMIC  Smiley Art by the same guy that did Tom King's Vision series and written by one of my favorite new writers, Donny Cates, this book has been 'magical' since the first issue of this arc. A true Marvel Gem. One of the top five comics being published right now. IMHO
Mighty Thor #703 - I have one word for this issue. Brutal. Jeez this was hard core savagery here. I have never been a "fan" of
The Mangog
before this arc, but now, dear lord man ... watch the %#&%* out!!! Another top five comic right here, guys.
Avengers #676 - Off to a slow and sadly a little too familiar start, this book still has my pumped for this weekly Avengers event. Love the twist they are adding and can't wait to see how it play out. Better than Secret Wars did? Well, maybe in the long run... sure.
Guardians of the Galaxy #149
Guardians of the Galaxy #150
- Okay, these two issues, the last of the series, were less than stellar. Great to see certain characters back in action, but this arc, especially these last two or three issues have felt so rushed that the pacing is just torn to shreds. It was at first really nice to see
the Nova Corps back in action
, but towards the end, the flow just fell apart. Not sure I will be back once the Warlock mini series is over.
 Undecided

Astonishing X-Men #7

Detective Comics #969
Hal Jordan & ... #33
Hal Jordan & ... #34
Hal Jordan & ... #35
Hal Jordan & ... #36

New Super-Man #19
Damage #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 03:18:13 AM »

Looks like I might just make it after all.

Marvel Unlimited
U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5

Darth Vader 2
Darth Vader 3
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38
Deadman 3
Deathstroke 27

Detective Comics 972
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Superman 38

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:12:00 AM »

Finished!  One day early.   Grin

Marvel Unlimited
U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5

Darth Vader 2
Darth Vader 3
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38
Deadman 3
Deathstroke 27
Detective Comics 972
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Superman 38

Mister Miracle 6 was my favorite of the series so far.  Great issue.  I was beginning to not enjoy this series but this issue bumped it back up to the top.  Can’t wait for the next issue to see how this cliff hanger is going to pan out!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »

Mister Miracle 6 was my favorite of the series so far.  Great issue.  I was beginning to not enjoy this series but this issue bumped it back up to the top. 

WHEW!!!

Great to hear!!!

Smiley

Got a couple more knocked out, this may be it for this week -

Aquaman #32 - Still enjoying this, but looking at previews for April I am left thinking that this Aquaman can only go so far. May drop in a few more issues. Maybe. Tough call as I do think it turned for the better.

Ice Cream Man #1 - Sort of like a Twilight Zone title from Image. Pretty cool. I will give it another try for sure. Much better than the other issue I decided to try while at the shop ...

Star Trek New Visions #9 - Holy crap! What in the name of all that is holy is this? Grumpy Cat John Byrne using photoshop and images of the past 1960's Star Trek show to make what is quite possibly the worst written pile of garbage I have laid witness to. What is really egregious about this is not the bad writing or the bad photoshopping (?), but the bad characterization of the characters. Spock alone is shown on more than one occasion showing emotions (even if they are slight ones like gratitude with a smile), while Kirk and McCoy are decidedly different than they were ever shown to be in any form of media. Man, Byrne, really? I can't picture any ST fans enjoying this series if this is an example of what they are getting on a recurring basis. Sure was funny to read though.

Sherlock Frankenstein #3 - How in the hell I left this on the stack for this long I have no idea. This damn thing came out a few weeks ago, I think, but it has just been sitting here, waiting for me? Bad news is I kinda wish I would have left it there. This issue didn't hit me as a great issue. In-fact it hit me as the not only the worst of the entire Black Hammer series, but a pretty badly written book period. I think Lemire tried to do a little too much Silver Age style writing here and it just seemed ... (man I hate to say this) ... childish in a way. This is still a great universe that we have been given here, but this one issue just didn't hit for me. One more issue to go

Strangers in Paradise XXV #1 - CRAP! I gotta go back and read some of the last issues of SIP. This issue just pounces right into things that may have happened towards the end of the last series, as it should, but I was hoping for a little more lubing, a little easier entry into the new/continuing adventure of Moore's favorite characters. I didn't get it. Nope. You are pretty much dropped right in. Good stuff even if I don't get back to the older issues I am on here. But that is no surprise. It is Moore. I am here.

The Further Adventures of Nick Wilson #1 - Nick Wilson was the only super-hero in the world. Lived and loved the life, until suddenly he lost his powers. Now what? A very good first issue in a five issue L/S that may well be promoted by me in the near future. If issue #2 is as good, you will hear back from me. A lot.

Doctor Strange #384 -
Mighty Thor #703
Avengers #676

Astonishing X-Men #7

Detective Comics #969
Hal Jordan & ... #33
Hal Jordan & ... #34
Hal Jordan & ... #35
Hal Jordan & ... #36

New Super-Man #19
Damage #1

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »

Got a couple more knocked out, this may be it for this week -

HA!!! How wrong I was.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Thanks to having to prep for a medical procedure that I have this morning that I won't go into here  Cheesy, I was able to get a lot more reading time in before midnight-

Old Man Hawkeye #1 - A prequel to the Old Man Wolverine story arc showcasing Clint's life prior to those events. A pretty decent start if for nothing else having the Madrox Gang. Looking forward to more of this 12 issue maxi.

Old Man Logan #33 - Back to back "Old Man ..." titles but this one less fun. Infact less everything. Is Brisson starting to lose his luster with me or is he just having a few bad months. Time will tell (and with Iron Fist possibly getting the ax at issue #30, this may be his only title left)

Thanos #14 - However, Donny Cates has no problem wowing me with each and every title he works and this issue is no exception. Fantastic work here making Thanos what he should be; both a deep character and one bad ass dude!! The art sure didn't hurt!!

Justice League #37 - Another good issue featuring this new JL threat. Nothing more to say. Just solid

Mister Miracle #2 (re-read)
Mister Miracle #3
Mister Miracle #4
Mister Miracle #5
Mister Miracle #6
- I finally broke down and read this puppy. I was trying so hard to hold out for the complete run but couldn't make it. Just an amazing run. So much to ponder here. So deep. So funny. So poignant. So damn good.

Nightwing #37 - IMPORTANT !!! Jeff, hold off on the Nightwing purchase!!! After two really cool issues, Nightwing #37 just slams my enjoyment to the floor, kicking me all the while. I have no idea how this book can be so different from the last two I read, but holy cow this was bad. This reimagined history was just not good at all. The art for one is waaaay different and not as pleasing for this title (Klaus Jansen did this?), but the writing? Wow did it take a nosedive. I am going to try the next issue, for sure, as I am still wanting this to finish well (at least better than this issue), but I can't say "pick this up" after reading this issue. The last two issues seem like they were written by a totally different writer.

Ice Cream Man #1
Star Trek New Visions #9
Sherlock Frankenstein #3
Strangers in Paradise XXV #1
The Further Adventures of Nick Wilson #1

Doctor Strange #384 -
Mighty Thor #703
Avengers #676

Astonishing X-Men #7

Aquaman #32
Detective Comics #969
Hal Jordan & ... #33
Hal Jordan & ... #34
Hal Jordan & ... #35
Hal Jordan & ... #36

New Super-Man #19
Damage #1

Man, almost 30 issues this week. That is almost Jeff like.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 04:14:25 PM »

IMPORTANT !!! Jeff, hold off on the Nightwing purchase!!!

Will do.  Warning heard loud and clear!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS