HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:16:21 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 27, 2017  (Read 11589 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: December 26, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »

Here we go!

Mostly this is just going to be me catching up on a WHOOOOOOOOLE bunch of stuff I've read, and doing my own quick rundowns on it all.

<crapo, I just realized I never entered in last month's DC books either!!>

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Empire 3-4: Okay, I'm reading this, and only this. No other tie-ins. Honest!

Generation X #2-3: Well, I see that it's cancelled now. If there isn't enough of a book plot hook in the next issue, I can see why. I'm not sold on the artist, I feel there's too much I should already know (but don't), and the characters aren't interesting enough to me.

Thanos 7-8: Still hate Thane, but enjoy me some Thanos. Good reading!!

Hulk 6- So, yeah, I read the last issue of this first arc. Pathetic And Crap. Might have said it elsewhere, but I wanted to say it again.

Old Man Logan 24-25- the end of the Past Lives arc, and I felt it hit like a toss of a tire rim. Boring and rather blah. Issue 25, with the start of Brisson, I thought had an injection of a cool, new, different angle. Glad for that!!

Cable #1-okay I REALLY wanted to love this. But what happened was the same event played out with 2 different groups, without much of a plot hook, or moving excitement with the lead character. I don't feel the spark reading this book. What the hell, Robinson, where's your writing prowess at?!?

Gamora #5- still glad to have read this. Enjoyed it, some decent excitement, and character introspection. Good stuff. Now if only All New Guardians was anything worth reading.

Iron Fist 4- Okay, I can see where Perry is coming from. Ed Brisson is a guy I can watch and follow at Marvel. Digging this arc.

X-men Gold 5- something happened, Sentinels happened, ridicouls blaming of mutants. Check. Not sure what has me reading this book right now. #6 is in my list to read, and then I'll see if I bother with #7 (preview of what's to come: probably not!!!)

Bullseye 5: Again, very glad to have read this!! Wink

Spider-man 17: Miles has anger issues, check. This book is better when adults only talk. Not that much better, but better.

Dr. Strange 20: Ah, the end of the it all under Aaron. I wish I could say I loved everything done up to this point, but I don't. Glad to see it have been tried! However, with the SE tie-ins over the next 2 months, with a fill in writer, I'm skippin this.

Amazing Spider-man 28: I'm okay with reading this. Nothing to hate, fear, or revile. Still a bit bigger world Spidey stories than I 'personally' care for (not that this makes this bad at all), but all in all, just ok, and I'll keep reading.

Daredevil 21-23: What a cool angle and legal precedent to try and set!! I'm so all onboard for this arc!!!! WOW

X-men Blue 5 : Ugh, it's worse when reading a whole issue explaining that Jimmy Hudson is the time displaced son of Wolverine being helped by time displaced X-men from the past that aren't *this* past. I don't think I can even care.

Weapon X 4: Well, I was onboard with this title until the inclusion of Amadeus Hulk, and the upcoming Weapon H. Maybe I'll be suprised....

Scarlet Spider 3-hey, cook, more Kaine!!! Need Reilly fleshed out more. not really growing on me, and can't really see where he's going with his 'life' yet.

Defenders 1- dare I say it, but I liked reading a Bendis comic ALOT for a change.

Kingpin 5- REALLY glad I read this!! Cool stuff!!

Spider-man 2099 24 -Ah, a brief wrinkle thrown in just before the end to really make me care about where this will go. Nice work PAD.

IN the past..

Deadpool & the Mercs for Money (2016) 1-5: the mini. I actually enjoyed this companion volume!
Deadpool & the Mercs for Money (2016) 1-6: the ongoing! At least, until issue 10, when it was either over or cancelled. Not sure which.
Deadpool (2012) 39-45: Great ending here. I would actually recommend this volume to see where the character of Deadpool is when written as a person instead of a joke. This is followed by the same writer in:
Deadpool (2015) 1-26: Still really digging this. Great relationships built up around DP, continued story and characterization. Been loving it. But I do see lots of IvX and SE interference.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:05:58 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »

Rolling over a lot of last weeks list.

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk 7
Thanos 8
Star Wars 32

ComiXology/u]
Nightwing: The New Order 1
Nightwing: The New Order 2
Nightwing: The New Order 3
Nightwing: The New Order 4
Red Hood & The Outlaws 17
Thief of Thieves TPB Vol 2
Jessica Jones: Alias TPB Vol 2
Aquaman 31
Batman 37
Copperhead 16
Dark Nights: Metal 4
Faith and the Future Force 1
Faith and the Future Force 2
Faith and the Future Force 3
Faith and the Future Force 4
Harbinger Renegade 7
Justice League 35
Motor Girl 9
Motor Girl 10
Ninjak 0
Super Sons 11
X-O Manowar 7

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »

Cable #1-okay I REALLY wanted to love this.

Me too, just couldn't get past that one dimensional art to even get bothered by the writing. Not a fan of the Liefeld prodogy

Iron Fist 4- Okay, I can see where Perry is coming from. Ed Brisson is a guy I can watch and follow at Marvel. Digging this arc.

I did fall off this so I am not sure that praise still holds true or if I have just been busy and didn't get a chance to return yet, so caution I guess.
 Cheesy

Dr. Strange 20:

I agree, but oh please do come back when Donny Cates take over. When the numbering reverts back. Such a cool take on the title and the title character. Well, I dig it anyway.

Weapon X 4: Well, I was onboard with this title until the inclusion of Amadeus Hulk, and the upcoming Weapon H. Maybe I'll be suprised....

I don't think you will be.
Had to run from that Weapon H stuff ... and now he is getting a title? Oh jeez

Man my comic reading has been hit and miss (more miss) I need to get back on it again. Get me a list each week and not stray away from it.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »

Super Sons 11

Just a reminder that issue #11 will be part of a three or four part story involving the Superman #37 and Teen Titans #15

I think that is right ... maybe?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »

Super Sons 11

Just a reminder that issue #11 will be part of a three or four part story involving the Superman #37 and Teen Titans #15

I believe so. I get 3 of the 4 issues, so here's hoping TT isn't the last part of the arc!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:47:12 AM »

Super Sons 11

Ah, good to know!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 03:40:24 AM »

I bought!!!!

METAL 4
Batman Lost
Hawkman Found --HAWKMAN!!!
Batman Who Laughs
Doomsday Clock 2

Aquaman 31
Deathstroke 26
Hal Jordan & GLC 33-35
Justice League 34-35 --PRIEST BEGINS!!!
Superman 36-37
Action Comics 993-994
Super-sons 11
Wonder Woma 36-37

Some cool reading coming up. Think I'll hit the big splashes first then progress from there.

EDIT:
Black Hammer vol 1
Invincible Ultimate Collection v11
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:47:23 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »

... so here's hoping TT isn't the last part of the arc!!

Looks like it may be the case as it appears to be a three issue arc. And the part three can be seen HERE

DAMN IT!!!
 Angry

And I can't wait for your opinion on Metal #4

Last nights reads -

Moon Knight #190 - Jacen Burrows is killing the art work here. I knew of his art from Avatar titles and never once thought of him as a "big two" artist. Man was I mistaken. He is knocking this book out of the damn park. Not so much this issue, although it certainly wasn't bad, but the first two issues were amazing!!

Marvel 2 in 1 - A pretty good start to what will eventually be the new Fantastic Four book. A basic number one, typical starting point issue, but I damn sure look forward to more!!

EDIT - A couple of notes  Smiley

I grabbed (borrowed) Nightwing #35 as I want to see what Stan Humpries can do on the title and I do miss reading it (Just couldn't read anymore "femin'izing" Nightwing. Hopefully this will be the start of a turn?

Also started to read X-Men Grand Design (1 of 2). A pretty cool idea of taking all the revamps/historical changes in the X-Men titles and put them in order. Making this a sort of true chronological X-Men history.  Pretty neat so far. Check it out when it hits MU.

EDIT 2 - Forgot I was going to start listing what I would TRY to read each week. Here goes nothing -

Doomsday Clock #2
Action Comics #993
Action Comics #994
Supersons #10
Superman #37 (part 1)
Super Sons #11 (part 2)
Teen Titans #15 (part 3)  Angry
Nightwing #35
Hawkman Found #1 - Can't find if this is a one-shot or not

Thanos #14
Star Wars Last Jedi: Storms of Crait (one-shot)
X-Men Grand Design #1 (finish it hopefully)
Uncanny Avengers #30 (Last issue of series)

Ninja-K #2 (hopefully better than #1  Undecided)
Rom and the Micronauts #1 (new series, have to take a look see)  Cheesy
Curse Words holiday Special #1

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:38:31 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:50:44 AM »

Hawkman Found is a one-shot.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »

Hawkman Found is a one-shot.

Sweet. Thanks

And I while I am thinking about it, I read Action #993 last night and at the back they list the issues of Super Sons of Tomorrow arc and TT #15 is the third of FIVE issues. I searched and every site I found seem to say this X-over was in three parts, but according to Action, the story does continue back in Superman and Super Sons.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »

Making much better progress this week.

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk 7
Thanos 8
Star Wars 32

ComiXology
Nightwing: The New Order 1
Nightwing: The New Order 2
Nightwing: The New Order 3
Nightwing: The New Order 4
Red Hood & The Outlaws 17
Thief of Thieves TPB Vol 2
Jessica Jones: Alias TPB Vol 2
Aquaman 31
Batman 37
Copperhead 16
Dark Nights: Metal 4

Faith and the Future Force 1
Faith and the Future Force 2
Faith and the Future Force 3
Faith and the Future Force 4
Harbinger Renegade 7
Justice League 35
Motor Girl 9
Motor Girl 10
Ninjak 0
Super Sons 11
X-O Manowar 7

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »

If your a Titans fan, and by Titans I of course only mean the Wolfman/Perez 80’s version, then you need to pick up Nightwing: The New Order.  It’s an imaginary future where Nightwing has taken out almost everyone with super powers and is basically the chief enforcer in a fascist world.  Things start to change as he tries to rescue his son and comes face to face with his last enemies - his former friends the Titans.

I’m enjoying this quite a bit.  Costume designs for the future Titans is not that great - in fact Wally’s “doo” is horrible - but I’ve been trying to ignore that.  Other than that I’m having fun.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »

If your a Titans fan, and by Titans I of course only mean the Wolfman/Perez 80’s version, then you need to pick up Nightwing: The New Order.  

Right on  Smiley
Did that last week as I also heard really good things. Waiting to read it when the all hit ... I think one more to go?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 06:07:04 AM »

I’ve only read the first 4, but yes. Number 5 is out and six is the finale.  I don’t think you have to wait for them all to hit to like it but no loss in waiting either. So far I’m happy..

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »

I don’t think you have to wait for them all to hit to like it but no loss in waiting either. So far I’m happy..

Smiley Sure, I don't doubt that, but my memory has become such an issue now that I prefer to wait until I can go issue to issue as to not forget information.
 Cheesy

Unless they have a recap at the beginning of each issue, then I will jump on now. I know Marvel gets a lot of shit, deserving as most of it is  Cheesy, but man I do love they fact they recap from month to month to make it easier for guys like me whose memory is "shite"
 Grin
Just don't know why DC doesn't do that. Pisses me off, really. Not in a grand "I throw this comic against a wall" type of pissed, but ...
 Cheesy

Got a couple more in ...

Curse Words Holiday Special #1 - If you are a fan of Soule's "Wizord" character, you will like this. Good stuff.
Rom and the Micronauts #1 What should have been a Reese's situation ("Hey you got your Rom in my Micronauts! No you got your Micronauts in my Rom ... Wow, Yummy!") turned into too much of a good thing? Maybe? Not sure what is wrong here it just didn't hit. I was extremely tired however, so I may give this another go as I don't think I honestly gave it the justice of a proper read. Gonna throw this on the "Re-read" pile
 Cheesy

Action Comics #993
Action Comics #994
- Gave this a try, again. Its okay, but too much out there I enjoy more so dropping once more.
Superman #37 (part 1) - Man this was a fast read. I mean that in a good way. Great start.

Moon Knight #190
Marvel 2 in 1

Doomsday Clock #2
Supersons #10
Super Sons #11 (part 2)
Teen Titans #15 (part 3)
Nightwing #35
Hawkman Found #1

Thanos #14
Star Wars Last Jedi: Storms of Crait (one-shot)
X-Men Grand Design #1 (finish it hopefully)
Uncanny Avengers #30 (Last issue of series)

Ninja-K #2
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:35:08 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS