HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:54:00 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Top 10 Comic Reads of 2017  (Read 8648 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 15, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »

All right Realmers - what was the best thing you read this year?  Doesn't have to be something that came out new this year, just something you read this year.  This will help with the Marvel Unlimited readers that are always six months behind.

I haven't come up with mine yet but will later tonight.  I know Letter 44 will be on that list as well as The Woods.

Oh - and rank them in order - #1 as the best of the 10, etc, etc.

I'll be back.....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »

I have been rattling my brain trying to come up with my top ten, and the titles I have now are the only ones that are coming to mind. That is not to say I will keep my list this way, as I am sure I will be reminded of titles I need to add (just like Jeff has reminded me of titles I need to finish  Cheesy) and if I read one more issue of a couple titles ( specifically Moon Knight and Dr. Strange as they only have had 2 issues with their new writers) they will without question replace a couple on this list although maybe not the last two  Grin and also, in closing  Grin I know for a fact I would have a lot more Image comics on this list had I followed through and started to catch up on all of those titles I have waiting on me to start or continue reading ... but as of right now ...

10- War Mother - Only a mini, but the art and story were so fun together. Nothing grand, just really good
09- Flintstones - Social commentary at its greatest and most fun. A true winner.
08- Seven to Eternity - Not as acclaimed as Saga, but just as important of a Sci-Fi story to me
07- The Wildstorm - Ellis just excelling at being Ellis. Techno babble and harsh violence
06- Bloodshot (both the old and the newest title Salvation) - Just a good title since day one.
05- Jessica Jones - A title I will drop with Bendis' last issue, but soooo damn good right now.
04- Kill or Be Killed - Brubaker does crime like Ellis does tech. And he does it well
03- Thor - I don't think I need to even say one word about why, so I will not. AMAZ'BALLS!!
02- Mister Miracle - It just hits the right notes. Vision but darker and more fun (though not as good, yet  Wink)
01- Black Hammer (and the Sherlock Frankenstein mini that goes with it) - The best book of 2017 by far. I see there is also another Mini to tie in to the Hammer Universe and I am excited by that news. If you love Silver Age comics but also love current writing styles, you HAVE to be reading this book. So many nods to DC's and Marvel's past, yet so much a story on its own. A must have. Period

Okay guys, remind me of a few I missed. It was a good year
(for comics at least, not so much for actual humanity Wink)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »

I'll try, but the last year has been very hard to follow....little man turned 1, pregnancy again, lots of house and illness things...trying to remember comics seems hard!! I'll have to put my stuff away and see what churns up my old noggin. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

Okay - finally got around to doing my own list.  I went back through all of the Weekly Reader threads for 2017 to jar my memory and I'm glad I did.  It's amazing how many things I read that I cannot remember what happened.  Those automatically did not make my list.   Cheesy

What was most amazing to me was the lack of Marvel that was making my list.  Granted I'm always six months behind because I read on Unlimited, but this year in Marvel for me was a lot of Civil War II, Inhumans vs X-Men, and Secret Empire.  Not a great year for the House of Ideas.

That said, I did gather up a list of 24 comics/series that I read this year that I wanted to consider for my top 10.  That's when it got hard.  Some of the things that didn't make the top 10 but almost could have were things like Bloodshot, Harbinger Renegades, Divinity III, Infamous Iron Man, Rai, Unworthy Thor, Nailbiter, Darth Vader, Deathstroke, Motor Girl, New Superman, Hawkeye, and Redneck.  I even wanted to give Batman/Elmer Fudd an honorable mention because it was so much fun.

What I finally decided to do was narrow it down to what I had the most fun reading.  The comics that I couldn't put down or most highly anticipated the next issue coming out.

So here's My Top 10 Reading list from 2017:

10.  The Ultimates/Ultimates 2 - What this comic did for Galactus was mind bending.  The cosmic scope of this series was phenomenal and Al Ewing did a great job with the characters.  Ultimates 2 has suffered a setback because of the art and will likely drop from my list in 2018 but those first issues really kept me wanting to see what was going to happen next.

9.  Kill or Be Killed - Another good Brubaker series.  It's more Crime with a demonic twist.  It's not as good as his last series, the Fade Out, but still worthy of a being a top 10 contender.

8.  Lazarus - Greg Rucka.  That's really all I should have to say.   Cheesy  I picked up the first trade and was immediately hooked.  So much so that I read through all of the trades and got completely caught up to the current releases.  Rucka really knows how to write a female lead.  And the side characters are just as interesting.  A world where the country has been divided up by warring "families" makes this dystopian future a Sci Fi Godfather series that is fun to read each month.

7.  The Woods - this 36 issue series from BOOM! Studios is written by James Tynion IV with art by Michael Dialynas.  It's a complete tale in the 36 issues and I found it to be a lot of fun.  Tynion takes a high school and literally transports it, its's faculty, and it's students to another world.  Then all hell breaks loose as the students and faculty take on each other for leadership as they try to find out how to get home.  513 people find themselves in the middle of an ancient,  primordial wilderness and the secrets it holds is stranger then they could ever imagine.

6.  Detective Comics - the Return of Tim Drake arc.  I loved watching Tim escape from Doctor Oz with the help of his future self - Batman.  The conversations between these two as they start as allies and turn to enemies was fun to read.  Is this what Tim is to become? Or can he change the future by killing Batwoman?  Great great read.

5.  Alex + Alda - This one caught me off guard.  It's a three trade and done series and like most Luna books, reads pretty fast.  But there's a lot of emotion in there along with the drama.  It's about bringing a robot to sentience against the fears of a public scared of being attacked by robots that look like us.  But really its about so much more.

4.  Letter 44 - No way this didn't make my top 10.  Loved the idea of a newly inaugurated president finding out for the first time that there is alien life out there and we already have a crew that's been flying out to meet them for years and is almost at the location.  And we have no idea if they are friendly or a danger.  Add in that during the years the crew has been doing what we humans do and the captain is 9 months pregnant and you get a wild tale both in space and on earth as we prepare for an unexpected future.

3.  Locke & Key - Yeah, I know this is an old series but I only just discovered it this year.  And read every single issue!  Just could not put this book down.  Definitely a highlight to my year and I wish there would be more!

2.  Black Hammer - How could this NOT be my #1?  Man it was close.  Really close.  This is one of the best series out right now.  This and it's companion Sherlock Frankenstein are two of the best reads one could have.  Jeff Lemire at his absolute best.  Perry is absolutely correct that this should be on your pull list.

1.  Vision - This came out on Marvel Unlimited this year and it was a book I could not put down.  Tom King takes the Vision on an amazing journey - family man.  But it's a family of his own creation and what happens to this family is a dark journey with many a twist and turn.  Truly one of the best comics out there.

And if that's not enough fun for ya - go pick up Batman/Elmer Fudd.  You won't regret it.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:47:04 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »

My list would be different if I followed your instructions  Cheesy, but I was going by the "2017" base as a rule, so only put books that came out this year on my list. My bad. I know it would be different just naming books I enjoyed this year, no matter when they hit, but ... Yeah ... I'm fine with my list so ...
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

My list would be different if I followed your instructions  Cheesy, but I was going by the "2017" base as a rule, so only put books that came out this year on my list. My bad. I know it would be different just naming books I enjoyed this year, no matter when they hit, but ... Yeah ... I'm fine with my list so ...
 Cheesy Cheesy

Lolol.  Cheesy

Yeah - if I went by 2017 only Black Hammer would have been number 1, hands down!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:06:26 AM »

Awesome list, Jeff!!

GREAT idea for hitting the weekly reader threads to get an idea!! Man, I should do or try that!!

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »

i am going to have to reflect on this.  I did not do a lot of comic reading this year and even worse, I'm not sure I remember everything I read.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS